[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which would you prefer for The Thing- Single player story. Walking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8
File: the-thing-poster.jpg (210 KB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
the-thing-poster.jpg
210 KB, 1000x1500
Which would you prefer for The Thing-

Single player story. Walking Dead / Until Dawn style.
Single player campaign. Dead Space style. Standard 8-10 hour game.
Single player module pieces. Shorter 1-3 hour game, but higher replayability. Different outcomes and playthroughs.
Multiplayer module/campaign. Think Left 4 Dead.
Multiplayer murder mystery. Similar to The Ship, or SS13.
Or your own style/design?
>>
>>335852871
The Thing is already in SS13 as The Changeling.
>>
As you go down the line, the game scenarios become increasingly more interesting and fun to play, but also exponentially more impossible to do correctly when money is an object.
>>
>>335852871
I want to play as The Thing. I need more games where you're the monster.
>>
>>335852871
>Multiplayer murder mystery. Similar to The Ship, or SS13.
This is a no brainer. There are dozens of games with mods and player made maps that play like this, but they all suffer from the limitations of their respective games. It's criminal that nobody has made a full Thing or Thing-esque multiplayer game.
>>
>>335852871
>Single player campaign. Dead Space style. Standard 8-10 hour game.
>>
>>335852871

This is perfectly fine right here. Need to watch this movie again. It has been so long ago that I forgot a lot about it.
>>
>>335852871

You know they already made a game of this like 15 years ago?
>>
>>335853383

Yea. It sucked ass. I bought it the day it came out and felt robbed.
>>
>>335853069
how about Prototype?
>>
>>335853908
Second time I heard that, so I guess I'll play it
>>
>>335854751
your guy is like The Thing but the gameplay is like Hulk Ultimate Destruction
>>
>>335852871
>Single player story. Walking Dead / Until Dawn style.

honestly, I think there's enough plot and character development in this game to do both of these, maybe even together. i could potentially see dead space style having a wider appeal, and of course being more fun.
>>
>>335852871
BOYS, WE HAVE WORK
>>
Who here remembers The Ship? What a great game.
>>
>>335852871

How about

Single player campaign. Alien Isolation style. 8-10 hours.

But honestly, if it somehow could be done, having some sort of weird co-op vs multiplayer would be best.

Like, you get 8 guys, and one of them starts as a thing imitation, and it has to convince people to get separated and shit during a playthrough to try to infect them.

Things happen that force people to break up and shit, but overall, if they can't kill off all the imitations and are taken over, things win, and if they manage to kill all imitations and things and verify no further infections, humans win.

But I'd settle for just a Alien: Isolation type adaptation for the thing.
>>
>>335852871

As soon as I started playing Until Dawn I thought it would be an excellent template for a The Thing game.

>Highly detailed characters and animations
>Trying to pick up on visual cues to determine who's infected and who isn't
>Choices throughout the game on who to trust vs who not to trust, resulting in either innocent deaths or your own if you make the wrong choices
>New game+ changes the scenario of who's infected and at what times for replayability
>Dat atmosphere and music

It would be incredible.
>>
>>335852992

Because a top down indie game from 2003 is exactly what this thread is asking for.
>>
File: 12544_front.jpg (30 KB, 400x565) Image search: [Google]
12544_front.jpg
30 KB, 400x565
>>335852871

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R62qyeNsIAM

Its great you should play it
>>
>>335852871
A better remake of the old game, with an "open world" base and better story. No multiplayer shit, maybe co-op mode
>>
File: 1458474365561.jpg (39 KB, 323x267) Image search: [Google]
1458474365561.jpg
39 KB, 323x267
Trust issues and atmosphere 101
>>
How about you just remake the game we already got but make the mechanics not suck?
>>
>>335855561
>Because a top down indie game from 2003 is exactly what this thread is asking for.

No, it's not.
>>
>>335856423

The problem with the trust system in the game was that it didn't actually work. If you gave a fellow soldier/engineer/medic a gun, they trusted you, end of story. And the blood tests to see who was a Thing was bugged because certain parts of the game, there were just spots where it was scripted that someone in your party turns into a Thing and has a freakout on you, even if everyone was clean right before walking onto that spot.
>>
Trouble in terrorist town but built with a way to limit griefing.

It would probably be really boring after a while though, because everyone would start acting all serious and the game would end when the one guy wouldn't take the test.

I guess the best way to do it would be to force the players to seperate and give them a goal they need to complete in a certain amount of time and limit the amount of testing they can complete. If they reach the end and get all the gear they will be able to test for the thing.

>everyone is stuck in a frozen place
>theres a five minute (or so) timer that requires the players to press a button, retrieve an item etc
>5 players at a time
>Send out three and they're safe, but if you make a bad call you're stuck with the thing
>send out two and they might be stuck with the thing
>send out one, the thing might slip out and kill them
>force the people that are left behind to work on another task so the thing has time to run away or run back to kill them
>every thing they complete they get more items that make them safer but the objectives get more dangerous

Basically force the players into a situation that they can't trust eachother with and no matter how much they work together, they're are stuck in a bad situation that makes them vulnerable.
>>
>>335855324
>thing game
>isolation
What made the thing great were the group dynamics, talking with people that might secretly be the thing. A typical horror game format wouldn't do it justice.
>>
>>335857115
Also have the buttons randomly have special attributes like, "player needs to stay near button" or what ever. So when someone comes back alone they have an excuse.

Also the first reward should be a gun, a single gun can completely change how a group functions and can build and destroy trust.

The second to last item should be walkie talkies, the only thing that can actually build a group effort and reward their teamwork, should be the second to last item they receive.
>>
Until Dawn/Walking Dead. The thing should have a decent amount of conversations, and supporting cast large enough to establish different group dynamics.
>>
>>335856173

There is nothing great about that game. AI that turns Thing for no reason, dull headcrab enemies constantly harassing you, and poor script and voice acting.
>>
Alien Isolation styled The Thing.

First person. No giant monster chasing you like Alien Isolation though.

Large Military Base. 50 or so NPC's mixed with players. The Thing randomly selected as one. Non infected players have to perform menial tasks to keep the air circulation from failing (or some other shit). Thing players have to sabotage areas, some of with cannot be accessed by non-infected players.

To prevent mass corner/room camping, the more non infected are in an area the quicker the air drains (or whatever), so it supports small groups moving around.

The Thing players can infect players either by directly attacking them, or by infected them remotely by knicking them from a distance, which after a set amount of time allows you to take control of the player for X amount of time and after that time, the player retakes control as an infected player.

If cornered or being attacked an infected player can go full Thing and attack non infecteds, in which.. yea. It would turn into Giant monster chasing players.

Just an idea.
>>
I'm actually surprised no one has tried to make a game about The Thing for this long.

Hopefully some decent developer picks up the license and doesn't make it some early access bullshit
>>
File: 1440260834684.png (302 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
1440260834684.png
302 KB, 500x495
>>335856723

You're not wrong but it plays real well regardless the paranoia is a wonderful thing
>>
File: 1442891670072.png (192 KB, 540x394) Image search: [Google]
1442891670072.png
192 KB, 540x394
>>335859985

Its a follow up game for the movie. It did a good job of expanding the universe. The mountain of enemies is just the game design. Plot hole maybe but its fun because it wears your party down
>>
>>335852871
A trouble in terrorist town thing makes the most sense. there would have to be normal enemies or objectives and shit against a time limit to distract you, as everyone would know the twist of your teammates being imitated going in.
>>
>>335866039
>the ending reveals Kurt Russel is still alive and not infected
>this ruins the ambiguity of the thing's ending
>Kurt Russel then shows up in a helicopter and saves the day
Literal trash
>>
File: 1443491933368.jpg (17 KB, 424x393) Image search: [Google]
1443491933368.jpg
17 KB, 424x393
>>335852992
>finally get changeling
>literally nobody, NOBODY gives a shit if there's a changeling onboard the ship
>you can get away with being sloppy with your kills because of this
>nobody cares enough to bloodtest anyone
>the only time anyone gives a fuck about you is if you turn into a shambler
>>
>>335852871
unique multiplayer.
>>
File: 1435435193898.jpg (33 KB, 664x441) Image search: [Google]
1435435193898.jpg
33 KB, 664x441
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9_yNuPIWEU
>>
>>335866240
You realize its pretty hinted at during the end of the movie that Kurt Russel isn't infected anyway

>Hands black dude a bottle of petroleum
>He drinks it
>that "fuck me" scoff as they fade to black

There's also the amount of fog their breath gives off is also a huge hint
>>
>historical setting
>fear and superstition everywhere
>>
>>335857115
There's already something like this in Gmod called Morbus. Or well actually, it predates TTT even. It's kind of neat too since voice chat only extends in a small circle around you.
>>
>>335852871
it has to be like Until Dawn with choices, consequences and foreshadowing but with actual gameplay and not just walking up to stuff and pushing X.

You need to be able to lock people up, cut the power off, damage food/water supplies, etc.
>>
>>335869125
It would also help things if you never new who was infected from one play through to the next.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.