[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think about the music in the souls series? Did
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4
File: 20160428_204608.jpg (249 KB, 1406x1068) Image search: [Google]
20160428_204608.jpg
249 KB, 1406x1068
What do you guys think about the music in the souls series? Did it start out bad and improve in quality ever since, or has the series always had a strong sense of theme and the music has matched the expectations of the moment you are currently in?
>>
>>335820997
Compositionally, Demon's Souls soundtrack is more interesting. Quality wise, later soundtracks all sound better.

Unfortunately Souls games have a terrible habit of layering choir on top of everything, leading to no contrast between most themes.

It's really the same with the dark atmosphere, but that's at least interesting to look at.
>>
I think each one has had it's strong points. I actually listen to the main menu music in 3 every time I start it up, that track is great
>>
East West's Symphonic Choirs is GOAT as a sample-based VST.
>>
>>335820997
Started strong then got shittier with every installation.
>>
>>335821168
There's better sample libraries out there than East-West. More expensive, but better. I remember being impressed by LA Scoring Strings.

Haven't heard a lot of choir libraries though.
>>
>>335820997
I wouldn't say its bad, they're are lame tracks and there are great tracks. I hate extra credits with a passion though so congrats on triggering me.
>>
I miss the instruments only themes from DeS.

Now every battle has to have le epic chorus. They all sound kinda samey after a while.
>>
I'm surprised they managed to wrestle away Motoi Sakuraba's casio keyboard and synth guitar for the souls games.
>>
>>335821471
I'd take le epic choir over reused random piano any day.
>>
>>335822297
Examples of that kind of piano?
>>
>>335822407
Soul of Cinder
>>
Souls games have probably the shittiest music I've ever heard in a video game. It's all so sporadic and confused by itself. The only good songs are Gwyn's Theme and Soul of Cinder since it reuses Gwyn's Theme. I started replaying Dark Souls 1 a few days ago and the music in the intro video was garbage and made me remember how poor the series music is overall. Even Demon's Souls had shitty music. Haven't played Bloodborne so I have no fucking clue if it continued the trend or not.
>>
demon's was good, it got shitty in DaS1/2 but became amazing in bloodborne. DaS3 is also really good but not up to BB's OST
>>
>>335822876
Bloodborne is quite good, try listening to Gherman's theme or anything in The Old Hunters.
>>
File: 1457116573822.jpg (101 KB, 1000x668) Image search: [Google]
1457116573822.jpg
101 KB, 1000x668
>>335820997
>>335822876
this dude is right.

I love the Souls series, it might be my favorite series of games. But the music sucks. After hundreds of hours I can recall exactly two themes: the maiden in black's theme from demon's souls and Gwyn's theme.

Go back and listen to something like Birth of a God form FF7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVZBHTN_ZuU

That's fucking awesome boss music. It's uptempo and it's fast and it gets you pumped up. Since DS1, every single souls game has had the same bland soundtrack: a chorus going AHHHHH OOOOHH UUUH AHHHHHH!!!!

There's no melody, there's no rhythm, there's no beat. Souls music totally fails as boss music. It all sounds the same and doesn't do what music is supposed to do: get you fucking hyped up.

I will say this, the hub music in Dark Souls III is pretty good.
>>
>>335822876
Bloodborne is a lot more memorable and has a more unique approach than DaS2/3.
Demon Souls, DaS1 and Bloodborne are the most interesting ones. I have a friend that claims Dark Souls' (series) has an amazing OST, and I can't really relate to that, like the other anon said, most of the OST is just bland and forgettable choir singing on top of everything. Most don't even have a proper melody track making it even more dull and samey. There's literally no theme from DaS2 that I can recall, while DeS, DaS1 and BB I know a few.
>>
underrated tracks:
Pinwheel
Ruin Sentinels
Darklurker
>>
>>335823534
DaS3's ost is a lot better than DaS1
>>
>>335822876

Tower knights theme
Flamelurker's theme
Firelink shrine
Demon's souls credits
Nexus music

all good
>>
>>335820997
The choir orchestra sound track fits it the best. It thinks Dark souls 3 has some of the best music of the series.

I particularly liked the two princes and the abyss watchers theme.
>>
>extra credits
You mean those fags who try to do history lessons without factchecking?
https://www.patreon.com/posts/suleiman-vi-of-5151962
>>
>>335824250
That's your opinion, but after beating it twice, I can't really recall a certain theme, whereas the themes of Gaping dragon, O&S and Gwyn I will probably have stuck in my head forever. I am not arguing that Das3's OST is bad, it's just that I didn't really notice it, aside from a selected few fights like the twin princes or soul of cinder.
>>
>>335820997
>No one commenting that its Daniel "we're running out of bandwidth" Floyd
Pretty mature.
>OP
It's been mediocre. It's like the physics. It gets the job done.
>>
I always felt like the souls soundtrack went for a bit of a primal soundtrack, lots of low tone chanting and what have you.

It kind of fits the premise, what if the fire dies out? A concern more common in very, very ancient human societies.
>>
>>335825208
What's that quote from?
>>
>>335825302
>Who are you quoting?
Silly billy
>>
>>335825302
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuqmKg6QQTw
>>
>>335820997
>where running out of Bandwidth!

Daniel is the biggest douchiest hipster ass Social Justice faggot of them all, he just has little to no voice anymore.
>>
>>335825883
Daniel is a pretty cool name though. Shame he stole it.
>>
>This week on extra credits, we're going to discuss how to make a compelling and engaging menu cursor. Join us after the show to watch me pull out my anal beads!
>>
I find the soul series music to be pretty forgettable, it's fitting but shortly after a song is over I completely forget what I heard
>>
File: 1378937852803.jpg (448 KB, 1413x2121) Image search: [Google]
1378937852803.jpg
448 KB, 1413x2121
>One of their staff members fucking cried on camera over getting addicted to a video game.
>Same dude curls up in a corner if GamerGate is mentioned.
>>
>>335822624
He was talking about demon souls you goof
>>
>>335825715
Oh my fucking god

>all the people in the comments who think this shit is actually gonna happen
>>
I quit caring about them when I learn that by devs they meant some guy made a single random mobile game that one time.

Last time I check you could make an idle game that can do extremely well on the mobile market and it would be seen as baby tier learning project for someone who literally just learn the very basics.

Can anyone name one GOOD game that anyone in Extra Credits had made? I seen /vg/ get more done in a week with better results.
>>
>>335821112
Agreed, they overuse the choirs while most of their best tracks forgo it. Gwyn's theme, hub areas, etc. They actually get a nassive drop in quality when the choir kicks in usually, see Gerhman's theme before and after its final part.
>>
>>335826314
>>One of their staff members fucking cried on camera over getting addicted to a video game.

what
>>
>>335823349
>There's no melody, there's no rhythm, there's no beat. Souls music totally fails as boss music.

You're retarded, and you likely know nothing about music theory. Don't try to pass off your shit taste as a genuine criticism.
>>
>>335820997
Demon's Souls music wasn't sampling, it was all recorded from the ground up specifically for the game. But oh it's EC, a stupid chipmunk sounding faggot that thrives off of misinformation and paltry attempts at seeming reasonable and educated.
>>
>>335823941
>Pinwheel

No one ever listens to it anyway.
>>
File: frogerumination.jpg (13 KB, 295x295) Image search: [Google]
frogerumination.jpg
13 KB, 295x295
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMWTyxrBgRU

I want to live inside this music
>>
Nothing post Demon Souls will ever top this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9piElENpvmM
>>
>>335820997
What the fuck ever dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_bbALTxXpg
>>
>>335826703
By that logic, we should collectively remove our vocal cords, and wire direct feed from Tarn Adams smelly abode.
>>
>>335822876
Faggotry.

>Sporadic

You probably couldn't name 6 without being bullshit that shows how fucking deaf you are. Fuck off.
>>
>>335825883
Yes he is. It's hilarious that their "insider expert" is a guy that worked on a cancelled phone game.
>>
Often forgettable, sometimes too bombastic, but there are some really good themes in 1 and 3.
>>
>>335822876
BB has good tracks however there was a bigger demand to make the music change pace with boss transformations (think Metal Gear Rising) so it demanded a certain quality to the music that I feel most soul games could ignore.
But in fairness no one really enjoys soul games for the Soundtrack.
>>
>>335821168
>>335821331
There are better libraries out there, but not being made of money, their Composer Cloud deal is a fucking steal. I signed up for their student edition, and it's like, 7 VIs for 150 bucks. Like, I got the whole Hollywood lineup.

I mean yeah, it's technically a rental program, but I did the math, and I'd have to be using the same instruments for 7+ years to make the price not worth it.
>>
>>335821159
I listened to the bloodborne theme at the menu screen a lot.
>>
Dark Souls 2 also had some amazing tracks.

I think the epitome of that game, the best fight (not the hardest, but he's tough) is this one.

never had I ever felt like I was fighting a truly honorable fight against such a magnificant fighter before in the series.

mainly because its one of the few "uncorrupted" fights you ever get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh7nTM6D-GU

and that is why he gets such a resplendent bombastic theme, here he is, a legend in his prime.
>>
Bloodborne has the best soundtrack by far in the series. The only one I found myself going back to and listening.
>>
>>335828061
I love the use of choirs in BloodBorne:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RzA_Oomra8&spfreload=10
>>
>>335828061

Agreed.

The transition from Ludwig, the Accursed to Ludwig, the Holy Blade gives me goosebumps.
>>
>>335827931
every game gets its "unparalleled Warrior" boss.

Dark Souls had Artorias
Dark Souls 2 had Sir Alonne
Dark Souls 3 has.. well I suppose we haven't gotten him yet, if we have, it'd be Nameless King, though these fights are always duels

Bloodborne had Ludwig/Maria, I lean on Maria being the fight, as we always fight these guys at near-peak.
>>
I bet you fuckers shitting on Sakuraba like the soundtrack from the Halo games.
>>
>>335820997
i wouldn't call the music bad, but the Souls series is defiantly not a series to care about for it's music
>>
>>335829281
The Halo games have legitimately fantastic soundtracks.

Ignore fanboyism. Marty O'Donnell did fine work, and some of the music Jinnouchi provided for 5 was pretty respectable.
>>
>it's a twitter bait thread

Sage
>>
>>335827063
He's right though, Souls boss music is forgettable as hell. The only idiot here is the one that thinks you need a degree to judge fucking music.
>>
STOP POSTING OR ELSE WE WILL RUN OUT OF INTERNET
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.