[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
objective advice thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: IMG_0900.jpg (35 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0900.jpg
35 KB, 480x480
memes aside, i need concrete buying advice

my parents didn't let me play video games as a kid so i'm starting from nothing. i'm also a poorfag college student so that's a factor. right now i'm not really interested in xbone or wii u exclusives plus wii u seems doa so it's a choice between pc and ps4

i'm drawn to pc customization and i can definitely build a decent pc within my poorfag budget but idk how it will hold up compared to the length of a console generation (eg. how often i'll have to upgrade it and how much money i'll end up pouring into it compared to buying a new console every 5-7 years). i also like the option of pirating games but idk if that's even still possible with all of steam's drm bullshit.

ps4 is easier for plug/play but news of ps4k is concerning (though i probably wouldn't buy it bc i don't have a 4k display, i'm more worried that i'd be joining 8th gen too late). also some of the remaster exclusives (uncharted, tlou, heavy rain) look good.

>inb4 graphics
don't really care as much as i do frame rate

>inb4 no gaemz
mostly interested in multiplats and older games i didn't get to play before

>inb4 paid online
not really interested in multiplayer but might try it, who knows

pic unrelated
>>
>>335807738
fuck off with your wall of text but what's up with that picrelated. Haven't seen that meme.
>>
>>335807738
You can still pirate most steam games.
>>
>>335807738
PC for emulation. Although technically you can probably buy something like a cheap PSP, hack it, and have a good amount to emulate.
>>
>>335807738
get a computer with an NVidia graphics card and an Intel processor so you can emulate games of the older consoles, to see what you've missed

ps4 and current gen consoles in general are only worth it if you have friends who also play video games and own the same console you do

you can pirate almost any game in existence on PC, but you can't play online multiplayer if the game requires that.

ps4k not worth it

all consoles PS2 and earlier can be emulated on PC with free software and the games can be downloaded from ROM websites (emuparadise, coolroms, etc)

wii u isn't really DOA, it's actually pretty good if you enjoy simpler games
but if you're a poorfag a pc will still get you more bang for your buck (because of pirating and a longer shelf life)

what's your budget? we can help you out with getting the right computer for you
>>
get a ps4.5 and buy a raspberry pi 3 for your emulation. ultrapoorfag here, I manage
>>
Get a 3DS and hack it
>>
Nice blogshit faggot
>>
Another epin mmay
>>
A medium range PC will suit you fine anon, customizable/emulation/piracy and whatever more motivation you need. I build my first pc about 12 years ago and sold it 2 years ago, still ran fine and could play games without a hitch for those 9 years or so it was in service. Only things I did to it was putting a new power supply in it and some more ram at some point.

For an idea of what to build check logicalincrements.com and go from there.
>>
File: +.png (143 KB, 852x616) Image search: [Google]
+.png
143 KB, 852x616
>>335808786
>logicalincrements.com
No.

>why
Because they don't even list i5s until ~$900, which is obviously tripe.
>>
>>335808959
That's a newegg combo deal, btw. It's not prebuilt (which actually implies a non-aftermarket mobo with all the Dell/etc. shit on it that can't be overclocked), but they supposedly have an assembly service.
>>
>>335808959
It's meant to get OP started, not blindly follow it. I agree nevertheless
>>
>>335807738
A good computer means emulators, so you'll get all of the good ol games that you missed. Before getting anything else, a PC is definitely what you want.
>>
File: laptops.png (109 KB, 776x368) Image search: [Google]
laptops.png
109 KB, 776x368
>>335808786
>>335808959
Also, it's possible getting a used PC/laptop with a Windows sticker and downloading a Win disc from MS support site, then having a linux PC or i7 laptop (less than $100) for a server..
>>
>>335807738
Get a PSP for emulation
>>
>>335807738
Hey there buddy!
Looks like you're trying to ask for advice on how to get into video games from the most frustrated community on the internet. But hey, let me help you a bit, how about you google "top 10 games of all time", pick something that looks interesting to you, and start from there.
Now get lost you pathetic excuse for a human being.
>>
File: 1459800354934.jpg (260 KB, 1024x763) Image search: [Google]
1459800354934.jpg
260 KB, 1024x763
>op has abandoned his thread and it hasn't even been half an hour
>>
>>335808383
around 400-500, or console shelf price

>>335808786
could it still play modern games for all 9 years?

>>335809534
i already have a copy of windows
>>
>>335809847
autism
>>
>>335807738
No one going to ask the story behind this?

Why the fuck did your parents not let you play video games? super religious?

You probably have a tonne of problems stemming from this, I would get your life in order first before diving headfirst into games.
>>
>>335808786
>could it still play modern games for all 9 years?
no
lmfao
if you built a computer with TODAY'S best possible components and paid like 4000 dollars for it, it probably couldn't play games a decade from now. Computing power doubles every 18 months, it's exponential.

a PS4 will only be on the market for like what, 3-4 more years anyways? and by the time the ps4 is finished, PC games will be better looking than ever before

you can pirate windows

nice quads
>>335808959
this is actually pretty good, and the price has probably gone down since the picture was taken, so you can afford to get a better graphics card. Stick with Nvidia/Intel though, it's best for emulation.
>>
>>335807738
Get some emulators and play the games that /v/ loves to spoil. Like Ghost Trick for example.
>>
>>335810403
>quoting Moore's law
>2016
That shit is going to slow down, for sure. They have struggled endlessly to get the size down to 10nm so I don't think we'll be seeing another die shrink for 2.5-3 years after this next one.
>>
>>335810354
unhealthy, promotes violence, all that shit
>>
>>335807738
I built a thousand dollar gaymen PC for Christmas in 2013. I haven't upgraded shit since I bought it despite fucking up and skimping on ram and only bothering with 4 gigs. But I can double that for less than 80 bucks and be back to good playing every game medium to high graphics.
>>
>>335811786
what did you do in your spare time
>>
File: 1461848652789.jpg (32 KB, 633x738) Image search: [Google]
1461848652789.jpg
32 KB, 633x738
>>335807738
buy a ps3 or xbox 360 and play all the good games on those consoles. The games are cheap and the new gen consoles graphics are not that much better to be honest.
>>
>>335813779
this is probably the best idea desu
buy a thinkpad and emulate all the 90s games then buy a 360 and play halo 3 all day
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.