[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hub areas > open world hub areas are designed to accommodate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 1459384658964.webm (782 KB, 404x720) Image search: [Google]
1459384658964.webm
782 KB, 404x720
hub areas > open world

hub areas are designed to accommodate as much content as possible in a specific planned out space

meanwhile open world is designed only to be as big as possible where typically anything goes leading to cut content, missed deadlines, downgrades, large empty spaces, and an overall sense of lack of variety and inconsistent quality due to time constraints and bugs
>>
100% agreed.
>>
Agreed.

WoW is far better off now that all you have to do is sit in your garrison / city and teleport instantly to dungeons than it ever was with people having to walk across its open world and do wpvp.
>>
>>335782094
She got a penis?
>>
File: 1459812482641.jpg (152 KB, 730x1000) Image search: [Google]
1459812482641.jpg
152 KB, 730x1000
>>335783185
sadly not
>>
you don't have to stumble upon a dungeon or ancient sword every 5 metres
sometimes an open field can just be an open field
>>
>>335782094
AGENT CARTER THATS A CYANIDE BISQUIT NO
>>
>>335783271
empty open areas and meaningless trekking is just a timesink to distract players

there is no action and you're not actually having fun
>>
>>335783271
then that's just a waste of player's time
>>
>>335783271
But what if you are forced to walk an open field 30 times as part of the game's design?
>>
>>335783479
Games are inherently wastes of time.
>>
>>335783563
So are movies, but the longer we hold a shot, the less the audience is interrested.
>>
>>335783560
I did this in STALKER and enjoyed the shit out of it.
>>
>>335783563
Literally everything in this world can be perceived as "waste of time"
>>
>>335783612
and yet modern movies are filled with static face/reaction shots and pointless scenes.

>>335783626
That would be nihilism, but a thing designed to entertain isn't constructive, unlike a lot of endeavors.
>>
>>335783690
>and yet modern movies are filled with static face/reaction shots and pointless scenes
Because modern = good?
>>
>>335783748
I'm saying some people seem to enjoy their time being wasted.

Much like a lot of people genuinely enjoy games with large areas of very little.
>>
>>335783464
There is no calculation to determine the perfect locational distance between funspots in a video game. Do you get mad when you aren't instantly transported to the next funspot with no input? The point of open worlds is to foster immersion and a sense of freedom by providing a large open space for the player to freely roam in, which many people find satisfying.
>>
>>335783563
(You)
>>
>>335783869
Not bait in any way.
>>
>>335783560
then that's just plain bad game design
>>
I just came into this thread to make it known that Hayley Atwell is best MCU grill
>>
>>335783690
Leisure is constructive because people can't function well without at least some amount of it.
>>
File: step_up_nigga.png (256 KB, 380x500) Image search: [Google]
step_up_nigga.png
256 KB, 380x500
>>335782094

>not having an open world in-between hubs
>>
>>335783690
>a thing designed to entertain isn't constructive, unlike a lot of endeavors.
That's a pretty reductive view on art tbqh. Stories are a reflection and expression of culture.

>and yet modern movies are filled with static face/reaction shots and pointless scenes.
>I don't know how cinema works

>>335783790
Only if it's done right though. The map in the first 2 fallouts was pretty fucking engrossing and that was hub based, but it worked because travel had some player agency in it. Wasteland 2 would probably be a better example because it adds limited water supplies and radiation hotspots that require more involvement when travelling.
>>
>>335784003
It sure is, and a lot of people's leisure time is genuinely constructive like sports / fitness, art and reading.

Video games can't be said the same of. They're by design time wasters.
>>
>>335783790
Fucking this.

I'm tired of the open world is bad meme. Fat fucking neckbeards who don't even bother finishing their games also can't bother walking "too much"
>>
>>335784023
I wouldn't consider completing Banjo-Kazooie to have been a constructive goal, even though I enjoyed the hell out of it. Nor would I consider it thought provoking, or even art or culture.

I was in the same position due to it after completion than I was before I started, sans the hours I spent playing. That is by definition, non constructive.
>>
>>335783790
it's fake freedom. look at other RPGs like Final Fantasy games for example.

They have small areas that connect with each other and with plenty of places to run around to create the illusion of size without having you to waste all that time going nowhere until you finally end up there.

The keyword is progress. It has to appear that you are actually going somewhere and that each step you take you are making progress.
>>
>>335784146
open world is designed to keep you from beating the game with tedious repetitive radiant quests and typical lackluster story design tying all your accomplishments together and actually making them matter and affect the game world.
>>
>>335784098
If you're doing an activity primarily for some tangible gain other than mere satisfaction, then it isn't leisure. People don't play sports or work out purely for their health, they do it at least partly because they enjoy it. If someone derives no satisfaction from sports, fitness, art, or reading, they must look elsewhere for their leisure. And whatever form that leisure takes is inherently constructive to some degree, regardless of whatever other constructiveness it conflicts with, avoidably or unavoidably, and regardless whatever arbitrary hierarchy you rank leisure activities in.
>>
>>335784524
People work out for leisure time.

checkmate, atheist.
>>
>>335784212
>I wouldn't consider
That's the issue here, no one gives a shit about you or what you think, especially when the only thing you're considering is "doing this is a waste of time".
Art is made to evoke something, whether it's easily explainable (e.g. The Lego Movie) or some obscure post-post-feminist interpretive dance. You might not have gotten anything out of it, but that doesn't mean it's inherently a waste of time.

>I was in the same position due to it after completion than I was before I started, sans the hours I spent playing.
So do something that you find constructive then. you clearly aren't getting it from Banjo Kazooie.

>That is by definition, non constructive.
Only for you personally. I'm sure I could a whole bunch of kids who grew up playing the Banjo Kazooie games and have different formative memories associated with each, and you don't get to just claim they don't exist.

tl;dr
Art is partly about what you bring to the table, if you don't bring shit you're not going to get shit back

>>335784501
It can be done right though. Look at New Vegas, that had a definite ending with a good story and your characters actions had both an effect on the game world and on the plot/themes of the game.
>>
>>335784809
Obsidian was practically forced to use the open world design. They even had to cut out random encounters because of it.

The game was for all intents and purposes a traditional RPG but still has all the negative points I mentioned earlier. Some examples that stand out is the severely outdated engine, bugs, and cut content.
>>
>>335784004
it's the same thing
>>
Novigrad was pretty cool.
>>
>>335786934
I preferred Kaer Morhen to be honest. Something about that solitude and lack of civilisation other than the remnants of the witcher school really got me.
>>
>>335784146
that's because there's so much shit to do but usually only one way to go about doing it.

non-open world games allows for much variety in gameplay mechanics because it's not solely tied to the stupid engine
>>
>>335782094
Is that a pot cookie
>>
File: image.jpg (149 KB, 431x1124) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149 KB, 431x1124
>New AAA game
>it's another fucking open world glitchfest
Why is it that devs seem to despise cohesion? There's nothing wrong with having an overworld to go into levels.
>>
>>335782094
This is so hot
>>
>>335782094
loss of direction/creativity in gameplay
lack of immersive narrative
bugs
bigger does not mean better

i have no problem with expanding the detail of a world but there should be more connections rather than one big incoherent mess.
>>
>>335789617
because you can halfass it and charge full-price without anyone knowing the wiser
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.