[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>paid mods >ads in free versions of mods >devs hiring
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 11
File: 1405358489786.jpg (334 KB, 794x732) Image search: [Google]
1405358489786.jpg
334 KB, 794x732
>paid mods
>ads in free versions of mods
>devs hiring modders to fix and create their shit
>mobile gaming taking over
>day 1 dlc rampant
>season passes are popular
>censorship encouraged and defended
>sjw politics forced into games
>games no one wants continue to release
>games people do want are mobile only
>episodic remakes
>games getting more casual and easier
>900p 30fps
>mid generation "HD" console releases like PS4.5 and new Xbox and "new 3ds"
>japanese companies bowing to western pressure to censor their games
>companies refusing to bring back popular highly requested dead ip's
>more and more games needing a kick starter
>every game in beta early access for months to years
>VR dead before its even a thing
>ridiculous DRM in games like always online and cutscene streaming
>broken games and bugs and shitty errors disguised and defended as unique game features and art direction (quantum break)
>micro transactions slowly becoming mainstream
>big studios dropping E3
>lets play videos are extremly popular
>more people watching other play games than people actually playing games
>esports

Are we in the dark ages of gaming?

Now we have the NX releasing mid 2016 and Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing on fucking mobile.
>>
>>335670282
>>devs hiring modders to fix and create their shit
That's a good thing tho
>>
>>335671039
not if you have to pay for the fixes
>>
>>335670282
>paid mods
Fallout 4?
Bethesda's charging?
>>
>NX mid 2016
Nigger you crazy?
>>
>>335670282
>VR dead before its even a thing
>big studios dropping E3
>lets play videos are extremly popular
>more people watching other play games than people actually playing games
>esports

Literally nothing wrong with these, stop being such a cuck.
>>
>nonstop shitposting on /v/ has made it impossible to talk about video games
>/v/ is so awful it's leaked onto every other board so I can't even talk about other hobbies
>every other website is either a SJW circlejerk, an anti-SJW circlejerk, or just full of braindead morons

Video games are now so shit that they've actually ruined everything else.
>>
>>335671164
It was literally just confirmed it's coming in march
>>
>>335671441
It's April, you retard. Mid-2017.
>>
>>335671441
Yeah of 2017 not 2016
>>
Wow, are kids finally realizing modern gaming is shit? Second thread about this shit.

Finally.

Look, guys: mid-90s was the beginning of the downfall. Sooner you realize the N64 was a complete waste of time and the PS1 had next to nothing and every other console past that was garbage, and PC gaming followed a sharp drop after the clusterfuck that was Half-Life, and the sooner you start playing pre-1995 games exclusively, the better we will all be to bring a glorious rebirth of gaming.
>>
>>335671576

Gaming has been shit since the 60s, you underaged fag.
>>
>>335671576
>N64 bad
>PS1 had next to nothing

Wow, nice shit opinions there m80.
>>
2015 had lots of great games, you just need to stop being an asspained GooberGator and everything will be better.
>>
>>335671441
full fucking retard
>>
File: 1449452392991.png (21 KB, 625x790) Image search: [Google]
1449452392991.png
21 KB, 625x790
>>335671576
>N64 was a complete waste of time and the PS1 had next to nothing and every other console past that was garbage
>>
File: 1455109014713.jpg (258 KB, 1075x473) Image search: [Google]
1455109014713.jpg
258 KB, 1075x473
>>335671576
>>
>>335670282
>Are we in the dark ages of gaming?
Where have you been for the past decade?
>>
Gaming is being marketized too fucking much.
>>
>>335670282
>cutscene streaming
what?
>>
>>335674945
Quantum Break would download and live stream cutscenes.
>>
>>335675121
Explain. I seriously don't get what the fuck this means. Do you mean it takes up bandwidth to stream me a cutscene instead of having it ingame?
>>
>>335670282
You made the same whiny thread yesterday. Fuck off or be interesting already.
>>
>>335675413
Yes

Its the ~~*[NEW DRM]*~~ and some shit
>>
>>335670282
>mobile gaming taking over

this is what worries me the most tbqh
>>
File: Valve.jpg (170 KB, 752x548) Image search: [Google]
Valve.jpg
170 KB, 752x548
>>335670282
>paid mods
>>
>>335675523
VALKYRIE PROFILE ON MOBILE

FIRE EMBLEM ON MOBILE

ANIMAL CROSSING ON MOBILE
>>
The more niche videogames become the better as people who want to target the casuals make less money when the casuals lose interest.

Solution:
1) Get a new hobby while videogames become less and less popular and therefore incentivized to make good games, such as music/film/novels/philosophy/etc.
2) Look out for super niche games made on top ramen budget that do more than self-expression, as those will be the most creative and will be remembered in the future. Games such as La-mulana, Legend of Grimrock 2, etcetera.
3) Play older games that you missed out on.
4) Just don't give any money to the industry unless it's pandering to you.
>>
Also, mobile gaming taking over is objectively a good thing for videogames. This leaves non-mobile games to be a niche that focus on "real gamers"
>>
>>335674945
>>335675121

I haven't heard of this either
Its really sad whats becoming of our hobby.

Everyone seems to be doing their absolute best at making sure they get to sell terrible video games.
>>
>>335675880
>Everyone seems to be doing their absolute best at making sure they get to sell terrible video games.
Yes, that is what corporations do. They do this in every industry. It shouldn't be surprising.

Stop fucking whining that your hobby is being commercialized and deal with it until it becomes niche.

Try learning to appreciate videogames as an artistic medium. I'm not talking about modern/post-modern art garbage, I mean the act of learning what makes people have "fun" with a game, and then use that to develop and create better games. The more people that do this, the higher the standards of games will become.
>>
>>335675985

Where are the people who already do that?
>>
File: 1430101658617.jpg (224 KB, 800x602) Image search: [Google]
1430101658617.jpg
224 KB, 800x602
>>335675794
>La-mulana, Legend of Grimrock 2
Literally my two favorite games. Can you recommend other games because I have no doubt I'd enjoy them
>>
>>335676043
It's just me, my friend, and like one other dude on /v/. The people who want to revert art back to pre-modernism don't consider videogames an artistic medium and people who consider games an artistic medium think post-modernism is good.

>>335676150
I can't recommend a game as good or as impressive as those two, but I thoroughly enjoyed Odallus: The Dark Call, Super House of Dead Ninjas, and Nuclear Throne as far as indie games go.
>>
>>335675841
Now take a company' POV : Why wasting money for niche ?
>>
>>335671412
This is where I'm at, I can't stand you faggots or the shit you're always struggling against, and now I see this bullshit everywhere.

We should start a new internet, without blackjack or hookers so we only get neckbeards.
>>
>>335676150
>>335676304
I'd also recommend sifting through itch.io. It's filled with complete shovelware garbage but there's likely one or two hiddengems.

>>335676332
This requires a complex answer that I can start by asking you this: How did it benefit Nintendo to save videogames with the Nintendo Entertainment System? Because they would practically have a monopoly on a potentially lucrative market that nobody else is competing with. Then enter competitors so that they have to make good games and systems to keep up. Then you have a niche market that just gets bigger and bigger with word of mouth and the companies profit.

Basically, when videogames become a niche market again, someone will inevitably come by and try to capitalize off this "untapped" market.
>>
>>335676332
Oh, it has to be a smaller company, too. Big companies won't touch the niche market until it gets big, such as the Second Generation having games developed by fucking coca-cola, and the 5th/6th generation with shovelware.
>>
>Games are easier to beat and have paragraphs long tutorials to cater our next retarded generation
>Tight Deadlines and Procrastination forces devs to rush their games out
>Season Passes
>Barebones DLC policies means that companies such as Capcom could get away with the most bullshitiest way of putting up DLCs
>AAA company spoonfeeds their consumers, especially graphic-fags, with sequels nobody asked for and Ultra-HD beautiful games with no charm or substance at all; like a ten story luxurious looking cake on the outside made of shit on the inside.
>Activision

The end is nigh
Seriously, did they not learn from the mistakes Atari made 33 years ago?
>>
>tfw I think the vast majority of mods for any game are complete shit and I don't think monetization is going to significantly affect the modding scene

anyone else here know that feel
>>
>>335676605
Industries are like a phoenix. They die and they rebirth.
>>
File: Quovadis 2.jpg (243 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
Quovadis 2.jpg
243 KB, 500x350
>>335671576
>the sooner you start playing pre-1995 games exclusively,
Hold up, Saturn was alright
>>
>>335676150
>>335676304
Thanks anons, Odallus already won me over with it's visual presentation and I'll get to the other games after this one
>>
Shit companies will keep producing shit game with shit mentalities, stop moping about popular games made by retard companies being made for money, and enjoy everything else.

Fallout and the rest was never really great, so don't be sad about its loss and stagnation, be happy about everyone else who is actively trying to fix it and releases new and much more interesting games.

Because to be perfectly honest, we could use more games like Terraria, and this sort of climate allows for them to bloom, and with many of the disgruntled customers wiling to buy it to suit their tastes.

Even then, you are all wrong and the crash won't happen. You guys are like Jehovah Witnesses, stop predicting the apocalypse you fucks, it ain't happening
>>
>>335676605

I find it hilarious that despite everything changing - tight deadlines and crunch time remains just the same in most of development all through decades of gaming

Though I guess early access is ending that too.
>>
>>335676950
I'm not saying the crash will happen but the industry will certainly be less lucrative.
>>
>>335676950

Nobody is expecting a crash, anon.
A crash would be a positive and nobody is expecting that.
>>
File: Scout spy-cicled.png (784 KB, 679x532) Image search: [Google]
Scout spy-cicled.png
784 KB, 679x532
>>335671576
No.

Gen 6 consoles and even the start of Gen 7 were fantastic.

However quality dropped after 2007 and we started getting more horrid business practices like on disc dlc n micro transaction.

This is what I think anyways.
>>
>>335677168
Good, will make people waste less budget on graphics and more on gameplay and story.

Look at Ratchet and Clank in the 2000s. Meet it halfway with Crack in Time in presentation and you got yourself a presentable and not nearly as expensive game that people would love to play, and henceforth, profitable.
>>
>>335677402
>A crash would be a positive

Even the faggots here who actually remember the crash seem to think it was a global phenomenon, the rest of the world didn't take part in your stupid little event north america.
>>
>>335677718

The world is ever so slightly more connected now anon.
I'm not even a murrican.
>>
>>335677767
What's your point?

It's not going to happen, AND it isn't the mythical rapture like event /v/ acts like it was, it's both delusional and inaccurate.
>>
>>335677997

I said my point in my first reply, what is your point considering you agreed that it is not happening and the rest is just shit.

A crash would be a correction, nothing more or less, as such a positive even if a temporary one.
>>
>>335678082
No, a crash is when everyone freaks out and the industry collapses or massively downscales. Given how conservatively publishers act now, why do you think the prospect of smaller revenues will encourage them to try anything novel or different? You think CoD is a boring rehash now, you see how Actiblizzard would make it if they weren't so sure of how much they'll sell.

This is what I'm talking about, you've all been telling each other romantic stories about the crash for so long you think it's just a rollback to an earlier state of the videogame industry, without a shred of the context that it took place in.

Videogames are cheap and plentiful, powerful gaming hardware for it too, putting an end to that isn't going to make games magickally better again.
>>
>>335678369

It is exactly because of that conservative stagnant no-risk attitude that games are becoming worthless by the day - and why a crash cannot occur.

Yes its a rollback, but it would put an end to whatever bad practice caused it.

Really the only difference is that now they can get away even with complete flops, because vidya is so cheap to make and distribute, they have a lot more leeway to handle themselves in.

Vidya is getting more expensive every day for good reason.
>>
>>335678526
>Yes its a rollback

NO IT FUCKING ISN'T, THE INDUSTRY WE HAD THEN IS NOT THE SAME INDUSTRY WE HAVE NOW, YOU CAN'T UNSCRAMBLE AN EGG YOU RETARD.

>Vidya is getting more expensive every day for good reason.

You fucking kids don't have a clue how good you've got it right now, I kinda wish there was a crash just so I could see you crying in the midst of it all.
>>
>>335678749

You don't make any sense anon, get your fucking pills.
>>
>>335675794
Music, film and novels are just as bad. We're in a generation of mediocrity
>>
>>335676507
Yea but this also is why nintendo is dead now
>>
>>335678858
I don't make any sense because you're functionally retarded, I don't really have any advice for fixing that so just stop spreading bollocks and we'll be fine.
>>
>>335670282
>mid 2016
I'm going to assume you meant 2017 but even then
>march
>the fourth month out of 12
>middle of the year
>>
>>335678913
Novels yes, film yes, music now. We're in a great age for music, especially with how easy it is to access it through the Internet.
>>
>>335670282
Videogames died years ago

I'm just visiting the cemetary
>>
>>335679004

Yeah, insult me more from your high horse, that'll make your self defeating reasoning make sense.
>>
>>335670282
Move to a manly hobby like cars. There are cool engine models to build before jumping to real ones.
>>
>>335679126
What's 'high horse' about calling /v/tards retards?

You ate up their shit and I'm calling you out on it, there's no horses involved.
>>
>>335676507
Nintendo didn't do quality check they just made it so expensive to develop for
>>
>>335679208

You are assuming a lot of things, and I'm sure nobody could tell you anything on here that you wouldn't call them a retard for, /v/tard-kun.
>>
>>335679340
You appear to be done, you've stopped saying anything relevant.
>>
>>335676150
Hated Grimrock 2 even though I loved the first.

Went on way too long, too much backtracking, game mechanics got worse IMO. Just was a chore by the end.
>>
>>335679440

I was done several posts ago, you keep venting
>>
>>335679482
That's because you've clearly learned from /v/ how to have a discussion, we have disagreed on some key points, and you make no attempt to argue your position or dismantle mine, resorting to personal insults because you think a discussion is something you win rather than an event you have with someone.

I think you're wrong, but if you're unable or unwilling to engage in discussion I'll just leave you to wallow in your ignorance.
>>
I'm moving to new hobby: DIY and electronics. Who is with me?
>>
>>335676950
>we could use more games like Terraria
Aren't there dozens of minecraft clones already?
>>
>>335679671

This is getting pretty ironic considering I never insulted you at all bar calling you a /v/tard, which is what you called yourself considering you are part of /v/.

Meanwhile you called me a retard,
a kid, functionally retarded, retarded again.

You are fucking delusional about how much sense you are making, and you have no idea what a discussion is.
But I'm willing to go the extra mile for this last post and feed into your delusions just so you can calm down since you were "right" and insult you now, you fucking retarded shitgoblin.
>>
>>335679841
I think he wants an industry that only produces minecraft clones that he likes or something.
>>
>>335671576
Yeah, no. I'd argue it got bad around 2006.
>>
>>335671441

0/10 anon, your time travelling skills aren't fooling anyone
>>
>>335679867
/v/tard is a self applied label for /b/tards that migrated to /v/, it's not an insult unless you're especially thin skinned. Same goes for 'kid' and 'functionally retarded', unless you're triggered by those things or whatever you faggots are ironically doing now.

In any case, The Gaming Rapture isn't what you have been told it is, and neither was The Crash. But you keep on huffing the /v/-kool-aid, I'm sure it'll work out in the end.
>>
>Pay to win Animal Crossing Mobile
This is torture.
>>
>>335670282
>Are we in the dark ages of gaming?
Literally retarded. If you don't like it go make your own god damn games

>>>/unity/
>>>/lumberyard/
>>>/unrealengine/
>>>/duality/
>>>/neoaxis/
>>>/vg/agdg/
>>
>>335675794
I agree with the sentiment about fuelling the creation of niche games. One of my favorite studios ever, Frictional, although it only produces horror games, consistently pushes out well thought-out and polished games despite having a fairly low budget every time.

I'm aware that I'm a bit biased, but I do believe that more of these no-name studios should receive more funding, if only to bring something new and something only slightly affected by jewry to the industry.
>>
>>335671292
Ok, let me guess.
>You love Markiplier.
>You play some MOBA shitty game. Probably LoL.
>You are a massive faggot.
>>
>>335680975
Specialization > "One-size fits all" models.

A jack of all trades is a master of none.
>>
>>335670282
Nioh and persona 5 exists so no vidya is not dead
>>
>>335675413
they filmed it in 4k and couldnt fit it on the disc
its not as bad as it sounds
>>
>>335683993
Casuals wont like Nioh so it will fail and P5 will be censored
>>
File: Miku.jpg (51 KB, 480x337) Image search: [Google]
Miku.jpg
51 KB, 480x337
>Take popular mod from the previous game and turn it into paid DLC
>Modders have to fix/enhance it
>>
>>335670282

Welcome to Marxism/Communism, now with a shitty corporate twist.
>>
>>335684783
>all changes are dictated by profit
>"welcome to communism"

I didn't know people could be this dumb.
>>
>>335685016

>all changes are dictated by profit

>implying crowdsourcing, mod embracing and mass casualization are not as much for catering to the masses and progressive politics as they are for profit

If you can't see that the two can coexist in a mutually beneficial relationship, and that modern corporations are essentially self-contained progressive Marxist cultures, you're a moron.
>>
File: 1461653035197.png (384 KB, 526x526) Image search: [Google]
1461653035197.png
384 KB, 526x526
Nah familia, the future looks incredible.

>Western Console/PC Games
Overwatch
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dishonored 2
Uncharted 4
Horizon: Zero Dawn
No Man's Sky
WiLD
Tyranny
Divinity: Original Sin 2

>Japanese Console/PC Games
Persona 5
NieR: Automata
Final Fantasy XV
Nioh
Gravity Rush 2
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir
Trails in the Sky Third Chapter
Tekken 7
Ace Combat 7

>Handheld Games
Trails of Cold Steel 2
Ys VIII
Tokyo Xanadu
Steins;Gate 0
Zero Time Dilemma
Danganronpa V3
Shiren the Wanderer 5+
Stranger of Sword City
Project Diva X

>Indie Games
Yooka Laylee
Va-11 Hall-a
Cuphead

>And so far the year has already been great:
Ratchet and Clank
Hyper Light Drifter
Trails of Cold Steel
XCOM 2
The Witness
Atelier Escha and Logy Plus
Alienation
The Banner Saga 2
Stardew Valley
Dark Souls 3

We're in a new golden age if anything tbqh
>>
>>335685312
You have no idea what Marxism actually is.
>>
>>335670282
at least online passes are't a thing anymore.
>>
>>335685312
>one guy earns 100 times what the lowest level employees do
>essentially self-contained progressive Marxist culture

How did right-wing america get so far from reality?
>>
>>335685486
Lack of education
>>
>>335671441
You dun goofed
>>
>>335685343
>Overwatch
We're so far in the dark ages that they don't even know what the fuck netcode is.
>>
>>335685312
>>>/pol/

Please. Have the decency to spare us your retarded political analysis, there's a board dedicated to your special kind of retards.

Or at least wait for the murica peak hours.
>>
>>335685486
>>335685486

Marxism/Communism has never existed in reality as anything but a collectivist themed despotism ruled over by oligarchic personality cults, which coincidentally is what many corporations have now become.

Lenin lived in a mansion and had a chauffeured Rolls, Leftcucks.
>>
>>335685713
Netcode is fine sempai.
>>
>>335670282
>devs hiring modders to fix and create their shit
That's a thing since the Doom times.
>>
>>335685343
How do you expect me to take you seriously when you think a single game outside of DaS3 released this year was good. That just tells me you have incredibly low standards.
>>
>>335671703
So it's always been shit.
>>
>>335671412
To be fair /v/ is pretty fucking SJW circlejerk these days.
>>
all this "popular" and "stuff no one wants" and "stuff people want" shit is purely on your opinion. Nobody wanted MML3, it was a shit franchise and died because of it, low sales speak directly to this, even the re-releases sell like shit. People want new call of duty, and it sells like gangbusters every time a new one comes out. You are out of the norm, you are an outlier.
>>
>>335687312
/v/ knows that they aren't normies, in fact that's exactly why they hate it. They would hate their indie games, too, if they sold like hotcakes.
80% or so certain that most of /v/ is underwaged jealous wizards.
>>
>>335687229
The same way that everyone says that america is really marxist these days?
>>
You can always stop playing modern games.
There are enough old ones to keep you busy for a lifetime.
You can also find other hobbies and interests.
>>
>>335687030
>le contrarian faec
>>
>>335688165
It's not contrarianism, it's you having low standards as a result of games being (like OP mentioned) WORSE than they used to be, out of your own ignorance or denial.
>>
>>335685343
Literally the only good games you mentioned was Stardew Valley and Banner Saga 2
>>
>>335688261
>le contrarian faec x2
>>
File: 7858863.jpg (101 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
7858863.jpg
101 KB, 650x650
>>335689641
I've literally never had to use this image in my entire life. good job.
>>
>>335689930
>le contrarian faec x3
>>335689517
>le contrarian faec x4
>>
>>335690835
Who are you doing this for?
>>
>>335690968
He's doing it for me, but it's not working, I'm in love with another Meme.
>>
File: 1388324836835.jpg (376 KB, 1858x504) Image search: [Google]
1388324836835.jpg
376 KB, 1858x504
>>335670282
>episodic games
Just when I thought they couldn't do worse than DLC they come up with this shit; slicing a game in multiple pieces and selling them apart.
>>
>>335689517
>Stardew Valley
>good
Yeah you sure are one to talk, fuck off faggot
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.