[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LEGACY SERVERS ARE HAPPENING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 63
File: capture.png (87 KB, 1104x444) Image search: [Google]
capture.png
87 KB, 1104x444
LEGACY SERVERS ARE HAPPENING
>>
>>335562431
source?
>>
>>335562431
inb4 shitstorm
>>
>>335562469
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20743584206?page=1#1
>>
File: 1393062684895.gif (2 MB, 330x275) Image search: [Google]
1393062684895.gif
2 MB, 330x275
dance thread
>>
Pristine Servers are not the same as legacy servers.
>>
File: 1456714564482.gif (2 MB, 184x191) Image search: [Google]
1456714564482.gif
2 MB, 184x191
>>335562532
>>
>So what can we do to capture that nostalgia of when WoW first launched? Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder.
Already can see it
>No one will touch this garbage
>blizzard will declare thatno one wants legacy servers
>>
>>335562584
>we've recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius

i.e. Blizzard is looking into hiring them and taking their version as their own to make Vanilla servers with a paid sub. Everyone's happy besides the absolute poorest.
>>
>it's another neo /v/ redditor wow thread
>>
>>335562691
I would be okay with that, didn't HL2 have the same situation? I only remember Gaben seriously going after that one leaker.
>>
wont happen for a year after legion launches
>>
>>335562691
you really have no idea how to interpret press releases do you
>>
>dat feel when literally the only way to get Blizzard to act these days is with bad PR

That shit makes me so sad how out of touch with reality they are. It's also only happening because mass media facilitates it.
>>
File: 1441581831205.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1441581831205.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
>>335562653
What is wrong with disabling that stuff? Isn't that what people want? I'm honestly confused as to the difference between a pristine realm and legacy server
>>
>>335562745
yeah, they found the leaker, offered him a job then arrested him when he got off the fucking airplane
>>
>>335562431
No, they're not. You can't read.

They just listed the reasons anyone with a brain already knew about as to why it's not economical for them to offer legacy servers.

The "pristine server" they shared in this post is not the same as an official legacy server. It's just live with all leveling acceleration turned off and no access to cross-realm zones or group finder. Have fun doing the same WoD and Legion content.
>>
>>335562431
That confirms nothing.
It just says that they would if there was an easy solution. They obviously don't care enough to put the effort in and are just saying this to save face.

What is interesting is them getting in contact with the Nostalrius staff. If that leads to them hiring them to do the work and maintenance for them, it could easily happen.

And anyway, they have a brand new expansion coming out in mere months so I don't expect another word about this until things have died down after its release.
>>
>>335562431

>ETA 2020
You won't be getting your Nostalrius 2.0 anytime soon.
>>
>>335562691

>blizzard is looking into hiring them

Why would they? You know that takes money right? The amount of people who would resub for legacy servers can be cancelled our by occasionally making a cash shop mount, and that doesn't cost the hiring of a new team or the headache of setting up new servers

You are fucking naive. Pristine servers are all you'll get
>>
>>335562860
The game has changed a huge amount since the original retail version. the Cataclysm expansion for one changed the whole vanilla azeroth, remaking the zones and replacing alot of the quests
>>
>>335562860
Pristine realm implies you'll still be playing and paying for the latest retail patch

Legacy would be being able to play old patches, which of course don't have all that bullshit tacked on.
>>
>>335562860
>turn off all leveling acceleration methods that don't matter when you're level 100
>turn off group finder to add travel time for some arbitrary "it took more time so it was better!" reason
>turn off cross-realm tech, drastically reducing the player pool from which you can form a group for "muh server rep"

Now go do all the same content as the live, non-"pristine" server. Have fun.
>>
>>335562809
>>335562934

That's literally what happens everytime. It's the best PR move.
Hackers get hired by Google/Apple/Microsoft/Facebook not because they're harmful but because you should keep your enemies close.
>>
>>335562860
Pristine is all the modern content. As in, you would be playing the most recent expansions, just without group finder and all that shit.

Legacy is the level 60 content (40 man raids, actual hard game)

the more you know
>>
>>335563001
Fucking moot got hired by google. lol.
>>
>>335562878
That's because he was making threats about releasing it and shit, and Gaben don't play.
>>
File: broccoli.gif (714 KB, 300x161) Image search: [Google]
broccoli.gif
714 KB, 300x161
>>335562431
>running a legacy server would be a huge operational challenge
>literally just acknowledged that a "pirate" server already did it for free
>>
>>335563051
Moot only got lucky, his success is the same type of success Pewdiepie has, a project happened to hit mainstream and got huge.
>>
>>335562431

All that happened here is them covering their asses. This will never pan out into anything significant
>>
>>335562860
>Isn't that what people want?

Fucking no.

It would still have the shitty dungeons and raids, it would still have the Facebook games, it would still have no population, it would still have the nerfed content, the dumbed-down builds, the "modern" stuff.

The only thing it wouldn't have are all the incentives Blizzard introduced to try and keep people paying money as the game got worse and worse. All that's left would just be the game, which is worse than it was.
>>
Well that's a step in the right direction. I'm surprised Blizzard even acknowledged Nost considering the radio silence.
>>
>>335562994
You have the slightest of points with the first two, but that last one is fucking horseshit and you know it.
>>
>>335563051
Moot.... the hacker known as 4chan?
>>
>>335563001
PR consists of bullshitting to the public. The development team behind the PR doesn't want anything to do with vanilla servers at all. If they did they could do so, and they could do it much easier than some outside hackers trying to reverse engineer and piece together how the game works. Whenever a company like blizzard says "we cant do this" or "we dont have the resources" it means they dont want to do it. Of course they could, they're one of the richest companies in gaming. But they decide what they do, not the public
>>
File: 1459244823293.gif (3 MB, 360x200) Image search: [Google]
1459244823293.gif
3 MB, 360x200
it will fail soo haard
>>
>>335562431
Cucks celebrating for ability pay for 4 years old content, while private servers offered it for free.
We truly live in enlightened times :D
>>
>>335562884
like anon above said, this is all about combating horrible PR they're getting over this and they don't want that as new expansion launch is approaching.
>>
You only have to defend trademarks, and then it's only because trademarks were originally created to reduce consumer confusion. The Coca Cola trademark exists so that you, the buyer, know that a can that has a certain look contains a particular product. Copyrights are yours no matter what.
I don't know if this is an issue that Blizzard people are ignorant of the law, or if they're relying on others' ignorance to give them a plausible-sounding excuse for what they've done.
>>
>>335562881
>listed the reasons anyone with a brain already knew about as to why it's not economical for them to offer legacy servers.
Not really. They basically said, "we don't want to because it's hard". Which has pretty much always been their excuse. It's more about pride and "business" than profit.
>>
You know what? I'd try those pristine realms.

The biggest problem I have has always been the group finder. Say what you will about standing in IF spamming the chat for groups, it did fucking develop a stronger sense of community with your players.

I'd still be annoyed about going through the Cata zones though.
>>
If they ever did create those legacy servers, wouldn't you need a separate WoW client to join them?
I guess they don't want to maintain two different wow clients
>>
>>335563341
Everything can be done server-side nowadays.
>>
>>335562431
it says literally the opposite. legacy are not coming, and pristine is a stupid idea.
not happening

by the way, how fuckin dumb u must be to dont back up stuff for previous expansions, or they are just lying
>>
>>335562431

>hurr durr we care for you so much but we don't want to put work or money into this, if it could just magically work for free we'd do it (lies, considering that is what nostal was)
>maybe if we make a neutered WoD you'll like it? that only takes one day of work for us to make so its possible...
>>
>>335562431
Step in the right direction. Still not Vanilla though. But it does revert some of the most retarded changes to the game. They should also remove garrisons/class halls/other bullshit completely.
But... here's what gets me. The guy that said this is the same guy that said "You think you do, but you don't"...

So he went from that... to...

"I work at blizzard because my love of classic WoW".... very very quickly...
>>
That isn't legacy or anything close to what Nost was or what others wanted. It's going to be what we have now minus improvements. All the things listed they thought of removing are things any player can ignore or throttle, except cross realm shit.

You can turn off exp gains and complete zones at your own pace, you can ignore group finder, you can not use heirlooms, and you can find plenty of people who could do all that by using the forums. Regardless that doesn't bring back "the magic" people felt with classic WoW.

I'm not siding with either side here, but taking down a nonprofit private server that gave people what they wanted after Blizzard refused legacy servers for so long is stupid on their part, however, not everyone claiming legacy servers will be a good thing even bothered with the private server in the first place. And if something of the sprt does come to pass by Blizzard, most will realize that classic isn't as fun as one remembers, especially when a majority of those they played with then no longer play WoW.
>>
File: EQN_THAT face.jpg (83 KB, 300x319) Image search: [Google]
EQN_THAT face.jpg
83 KB, 300x319
>>335562431
>pristine realms

Is this nigga serious?
>>
>>335562691
That would actually be a win win

>existing dev team already familiar with their own codebase

all that would realistically be done is integration into Blizz's own accounts/managment backend, the Nost devs basically got everything else on track before the shutdown

Also find it curious that they claim to have pursued the possiblity of licensing private shards to be run, but legal says they can't? Couldn't they just add something to the license agreement that says you can host and/or connect to external servers but you'll get no official support and etc. etc.? Didn't UO or EQ or some other MMO let you do this?

Is copyright law really this fucked to where Blizz can't even let people do something that is realistically no concern of theirs (hosts are paying their own expenses or it's community funded, they do all their own dev and reverse engineering which is complicated and technical as FUCK) even if they wanted to?
>>
>Doing something a private server was doing for free would cost too much.

Blizzard couldn't stop being jewish if each of their individual lives immediately depended on it.
>>
>>335562431
>Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder.
That's cool, but not nearly enough. What this would still need is more difficulty, group quests and other things. But it's a start.
>>
>>335563110
I like the hell out of this gif
>>
>>335563134

lol except pewdiepie's idea was original at the time. He was one of the first people to do let's plays.

Moot literally copied a japanese website
>>
>>335563382
But what about all the stuff that cataclysm changed for example?
>>
>>335563423
>Also find it curious that they claim to have pursued the possiblity of licensing private shards to be run, but legal says they can't? Couldn't they just add something to the license agreement that says you can host and/or connect to external servers but you'll get no official support and etc. etc.? Didn't UO or EQ or some other MMO let you do this?

Yeah, but that would mean Blizzard doing shit for free.
>>
>>335563382
all the graphics for the maps are obviously on your computer
but I think the wow client still has the old pre-cata world included in it anyway
>>
>>335563423
>s copyright law really this fucked to where Blizz can't even let people do something that is realistically no concern of theirs

No, Blizzard is making up bullshit excuses. There is absolutely nothing stopping them licensing a Vanilla server as an official non-profit project except for the fact that Blizzard wants money.
>>
>>335563162

It's not horseshit. People like to pretend that reputations would matter if CRZ were done away with, but they don't understand that they started to die with gear score.

In WoD, right now, you can see in group finder who has completed the hardest difficulty of proving grounds. PUG leaders will still take whoever has the highest ilvl, even if they only have silver.

If you're in a guild, your rep doesn't matter.

If you're in a world first race guild, you still have a rep now anyway.

The only negative thing CRZ does is allow max level characters who don't know how to pvp at their own gear level to oneshot people who are still leveling. And, just like leveling acceleration, that doesn't matter when you hit max level. You just kill those Brazilian idiots.
>>
>>335562431
>Assuaging yet non-committal company statement with vaguely positive potentiality towards [thing]
>Fanboys with reading comprehension skills of an illiterate pre-schooler thinks this means "[THING] IS HAPPENING" and starts bait-/hype-/shitposting

This is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>335563406
Shills constantly lie to save face and protect pride
More at eleven
I really hope all the shit making fun of him throughout this debacle made him cry.
>>
File: nanu.jpg (41 KB, 628x676) Image search: [Google]
nanu.jpg
41 KB, 628x676
I have never heard of this idea of "Pristine servers".
What do you guys think about that?
Would it work out they way its intended?
I think shutting down Dungeon Finder etc. is a pretty big deal, but I'm not convinced that it would be as good, because you still get epics thrown at you all the time.
>>
>>335563465
lets play were old as shit
pewdiepie got popular because he makes girls wet
>>
File: Gone Home Speedrun.gif (2 MB, 231x239) Image search: [Google]
Gone Home Speedrun.gif
2 MB, 231x239
>However, there are tremendous operational challenges to integrating classic servers, not to mention the ongoing support of multiple live versions for every aspect of WoW.
>lol except these guys who ran Nostalrius out of their garage for free
>>
>>335563528
If OPs were drawn out no one would reply.
So thanks for the (you)
>>
>>335563565

Its absolutely worthless.
>>
>>335563443
>group quest
The one thing I enjoyed most about playing on Nost was actually needing help and to help others with things that weren't tied to repetitive dungeon runs. Going zone to zone with people and doing the entire zone together and moving on to the next, rather than being so fucking powerful that you could solo everything because it had been nerfed to shit.
>>
>>335563565
No, because it's still just current WoW and that's not what people clamoring for VANILLA WoW want.
>>
>>335562691
Why the fuck would Blizzard hire Nostalrius people? 90%+ of the work on Nostalrius actually wasn't of their doing but publicly available open source emulation. On most accounts, like questing and the world (mob/object placement/abilities and such like), it was virtually unaltered.

I'm not saying Nostalrius developers did nothing at all (for starters, the mere fact they had servers running with 10k pop shows they had done something because MaNGOS in its current state can't handle that) or don't deserve credit for running an unaduleterd server without pay2win or anything of the sort, but on the other hand, they don't have anything Blizzard would need either. The idea of Blizzard having lost server source code is unthinkable but lost databases are at least plausible. But that's one of the areas where Nostalrius is pretty much stock: if you look at mob abilities or patrol paths and other such details, even the open source emulation for 3.3.5a actually has them better (for example, Southsea Cannoneers have their shoot ability while they didn't on Nost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeD8NXdvZSs&feature=youtu.be&t=39m11s).
>>
>>335563582
This.
I dont believe the part of tremendous techincal issues for a second, it makes me angry.
>>
>>335563465

>original

yeah i guess incoherent shouting and overreactions were original...
lets plays are older than you are anon
>>
>>335563312
Don't project your own ignorance of maintaining servers onto a topic you don't fully understand. Do you have any idea how many resources it would take to maintain a number of servers to accommodate the population of people that would want to play two or more versions of WoW, including the live one, and then PTRs for those servers?

Of course you don't. Go sign the petition a few dozen more times. You aren't getting what you want just because you keep crying.
>>
>>335562431
>pirate servers
>>
>>335563465
Think about what you said
>one of the first
Even if he was "the first" I'm pretty sure people have been watching other people play video games for entertainment long before the internet.
The both did the same shit, popularized something on the internet for a western audience.
>>
File: 1452242995353.gif (2 MB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
1452242995353.gif
2 MB, 444x250
>we can't just press a button and make it happen
>it'll be difficult if we ever do it
>never-mind this small team that was operating a private server that already had it down

Fucking christ I didn't even play Nostalrius but this pissed me off

This is obvious damage control.

The only thing stopping them from just doing it is them calculating if it would make them enough money to be worth the effort.
>>
>>335562431
>unironically replaying old content
>>
>>335563465
Bed time for you underage.
>>
>>335563643

Sure if you count that faggot from SA forums. But pewdiepie mainstreamed it first.
>>
>>335563725

You are retarded, probably watched too much ppd.
>>
>>335563565
Some other things to improve Pristine imo

Remove flying completely post Cata zones, add PVE progression back in by not adding in high level apex/pvp gear/unlimited seals etc, try to keep the faction populations 50/50 since no cross realms
>>
>we can't just press a button and make it happen
Wait, but this is exactly how you restore old build of your software, well not by just pressing button, but it's less than hour of work
>>
>they partner up with Nostalrius people
>Nostalrius comes back
>everyone's characters are still there because they use the same old database

Best outcome that has about 1% chance of happening.
>>
>>335563520
I guess I kind of forgot about the gearscore reckoning.
Didn't the guy who made the original mod get asspained because people started using it against him?
>>
pristine servers sound like a middle ground that nobody wants

i want to be able to run WotLK content again as it was intended

i want to be able to run classic content again as it was intended

all the while being at the relevant level with the relevant mechanics available to me

classic was much more than the fucking leveling system. i miss those defias shitheads ganking you with two fireballs and having to team up with someone to take em out.
>>
>>335563695

No fucking shit. But we're talking about let's plays in the sense of watching them ONLINE
>>
So pristine realms would pretty much be the lowest denominator of them all, right? To me it sounds essentially like they would re-package and re-sell their current expansion without some of the QOL additions that have been added over the years. It also kind of sounds like you could cap your character at any level. Not just 60.
>>
Pristine realm is not even close to a classic realm. The game is so watered down easy that even no heirlooms or accelerated leveling is difficult any more, mobs were made to melt to a guy in grey gear of similar level in the 1-60 range.

Who knows what will come of them talking to the people behind Nost.
>>
>>335563582
>>335563631
it's partially true
people who run projects like this do it out of love and usually work pretty hard
but of course blizzard could do it, they're a real game company, they just don't think it's worth the effort
>>
Blizzard, I will happily lend you my WoW install disks if you're struggling that much with restoring your old content.
>>
>>335563596
Yeah, exactly. That's why simply removing these things won't fix leveling, because it would still not give you an incentive to group up with other players.
>>
>>335563110
It's incredibly hard for them to do vanilla servers. Vanilla WoW server code doesn't exist anymore. Emus have to recreate it. Blizzard would have to recreate it, localize it into all of their game languages that were added after vanilla, integrate Battle.net into it, provide CS support for it, and more. All of that is a ton of work that people who are doing it for fun don't have to worry about.

I like the idea of vanilla realms too but to do it officially is probably never happening
>>
>>335563110
A real company has a harder time making their employees work for free. People are still pretty pissy about slavery. Fucking wankers I know but what are you gonna do :^(
>>
File: 1275495992480.jpg (37 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1275495992480.jpg
37 KB, 429x410
>>335563792

What they probably mean is integrating it into an actual buy option, into battle.net 2.0, set up its own paid services, gms and support.

Setting up a "pristine" server would be turning off a few things and running a new realm - cheap and literally an hour's work.
Setting up legacy realms would need actual work and investment - a big no no at Blizzard.
>>
>>335563786
Or lock all flying behind achievements, which would actually get people to play the damn game.
>>
>>335563774

Okay, name someone else who made let's play mainstream(FIRST) after Slowbeef created them originally on SA?

Go. Name someone.
>>
>>335563802
No Anon, because then yu're not paying for the time it takes to level your character to 60. Which in Vanilla was actually a fairly long time.

Who else /James Leveling Guide/ here?
>>
>>335563802
nah

>couple nost frenchies get a job doing what they love to do
>we get 'pristine' servers

thats the best outcome we even have a chance of getting; don't fool yourself.
>>
>>335563802
Here's the most likely outcome
>Blizzard fucks up the legacy servers and ruins the the same way they ruined them originally
>>
>>335563880
>Vanilla WoW server code doesn't exist anymore
Sure, they shift+delete all old builds
Do you even believe it, you fucking faggot?
>>
I think the hardest part would be to get the right amount of servers online.
Imo its very hard to predict how big the demand for classic servers will actually be.
The starting phase will be a huge clusterfuck with 2h+ queues on the servers, but if they put up enough to handle the initial spike, they will get some dead servers a few months down the line.
>>
>>335563443
>talks about idea they've had for e few years
>already complain about what it's missing
>>
>>335563880
You think they completely wiped all their old builds?
>>
File: 1461196626557.jpg (152 KB, 640x720) Image search: [Google]
1461196626557.jpg
152 KB, 640x720
>we had to shut Nostalrius down to protect our dying game
>doing it ourselves is just too hard
>if we do it maybe we'll just do it in an inferior way

Bliz is so out of touch it's unreal
>>
>>335562431
So it is true

Cry hard enough and eventually you will get what you want
>>
>>335563880

Only reason pservers have to recreate it is because they don't have the original source you fuck head.
>>
>>335563849
Exactly. They'd have to retroactive group quest, elite mobs and a fuckton of quest that where changed or removed through the years and that's too much work for them.
>>
>>335563849
>>335563848
>>335563843
Yeah this all sounds like blizzard desperately wanting to get out of this shitstorm with the least amount of work possible put into it. They should just find a revision/ outsource rebuilding an older build. Nobody wants this.
>>
>>335563953
This is Blizzard we're talking about. They had to delay Flying in WoD by 2 patches because flying over certain pieces of geometry would cause the game to crash.

I would not put it past them.
>>
>>335563696
>I have no fucking clue how database compatibility works
>>
How fucking complicated can it be to license out the IP?

>Dear Nostalrius
>You can run this server if you give us half the subscription money
>Signed, Blizzard
>>
>>335563953
if this were a simple single player game or something they could just pull an old version and re-compile it. but considering it's a huge fucking mmo that's over a decade old, getting the whole system to work again would be a fucking nightmare even with all the source
>>
>>335564069
>wahhh it's too hard for our billion dollar company

you can fuck right off too
>>
>>335562431
It won't happen.
This is a diplomatic post to tell people to calm the fuck down.
And when people DO calm down with a bit of hope in hearts, they'll just keep ignoring the topic until people stop caring.

The truth is Blizzard doesn't want to divide their community into current-content and vanilla-content servers.

Vanilla or pristine servers won't happen. Sorry.
>>
>>335564023
Its called opportunity costs.
They mount up at BlizzHQ right now.
>>
>>335564062
From where did you hear that? Because the only reason they bought back flying was because of the fanbase crying
>>
>>335563817
It wouldn't surprise me.

Gear score and item level aren't inherently bad, but like so many things in modern WoW, it's how the vast majority of the (retarded) playerbase uses/understands them that fucks it up.

Gear with inherently higher item level isn't necessarily stronger for every class and spec, especially trinkets. Holy Priests at one point valued crit or something over Intellect, meaning a lower item level piece of armor with more of that secondary stat would have made them perform better.

And, of course, equating a player's higher item level with their skill level is pretty dangerous in most brackets when there are better ways of gauging skill, like proving grounds that the entire official WoW forums despises because they can't do the minimum of silver just to be able to queue for heroic dungeons in group finder.

You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone in a pug right now that's done all the endless 30's.
>>
>>335564069
oh, you do?

enlighten us
>>
>>335564104
>You can run this server if you give us half the subscription money
>on a server that was free
>>
>>335564104
Of course it's simple, they just don't want to do it, this is a PR post not the truth
>>
>>335563696
>The only thing stopping them from just doing it is them calculating if it would make them enough money to be worth the effort.

Did you figure that out by yourself? There's no reason for a business to do something that will end up with very little if any profit at all.
>>
>>335564104

Hello my name is Anon and I have no idea how IP laws work! :)
>>
>>335564104
>HALF
>Blizz and activision
>implying

they'll want 100% and then settle for 85/15%
>>
>>335564142
also known as "Valve's paid mod approach".
Wait out the initial shock, then do whatever you wanted to do anyway.
>>
>>335564125
>Wahhhhhhh eveything can be fixed with money
>>335564104
Why would you do that?
>>
>>335564017
>we had to shut Nostalrius down to protect our dying game
Why are you so butthurt about them protecting their IP?
>>
>>335564196
>There's no reason for a business to do something that will end up with very little if any profit at all.

Blizzard is a business, how profound, thanks.
>>
LMAO REKT >>335563774

>>335563921
>>
>>335562860
I don't subscribe to the "It's only what they THINK they want" position that Blizz uses to deflect the discussion, but I do think it's fair to say that a significant number of people will realize their memories of classic WoW were heavily nostalgia-colored and that they can't be bothered with slogging through decade-old content.

More importantly however, what will most certainly kill these "pristine servers" is that hardly anybody will agree with the full range of changes.
"Man I hate the WoW Token, glad they got rid of that, but I do miss heirloom items! This sucks!"
"Good riddance to level boosting, but that group finder sure was convenient. I don't want to spam LFG for hours, this sucks!"
Etc.

It's basic mass psychology - it's easy to rally divergent positions around a vague commonality but impossible to find a consensus that pleases anybody in the end.
>>
>>335563659
The anon I replied to said they listed reasons it wouldn't be economical. And while I'm relatively sure they have in the past, in this specific instance, in this particular milquetoast half assed attempt as assuaging the frothing at the mouth masses, they didn't.
They just said it would be hard and they want to "protect" their "rights". Money plays a part, surely, but pride is also a major factor. Stop trying to pick fights because you have nothing better to do than shitpost.
>>
>>335564148
From official blue posts. They didn't even try to hide it. They delayed it twice because they couldn't get it working in time even after they caved and announced they would do it.
>>
>>335564251
Please don't act stupid, anon.
>>
>>335564249
>Why are you so butthurt about them protecting their IP?

If that's all they had to say I'd appreciate the honesty.

Then they had to layer on the doublespeak. It's pandering.
>>
>>335564287
>says something stupid
>acts defensive

muster some humility anon
>>
>>335564215
>everything can be fixed with money

It's a sad truth but it's the truth nonetheless.
>>
File: 1307133212181.jpg (56 KB, 344x505) Image search: [Google]
1307133212181.jpg
56 KB, 344x505
>pristine servers
>yeah! its what you want! we just turn off all the garbage we added, that fixes it doesn't it! It's the legacy server you want! =)

>we can't do a real legacy server its too hard
>When Nost devs in a basement did it for free

moderm wow cucks will defend this
>>
>>335564254
>Hating WoW token
>Despite the fact that it's literally free game time for those who are dedicated & gold for the lazy asses

I don't get it desu
>>
>>335562860

Because at the end of it all when you hit 100 you're back to sitting in your garrison with fuck all to do

I don't understand how you don't see this
>>
>>335564185
Yeah there also wasn't a contract between Blizzard and Nostalrius, was there, you fucking nonce.
>>
So it's basically World of Warcraft including all the expansions, and removing a lot of features that players disliked?
Sounds cool I guess? I don't know if it'll bomb hard though considering that most of the playerbase are casuals.
>>
>>335564117
No it wouldn't
There will be problems with new videocards and 64 systems, maybe
But it's still on the client side, launching old clients on the server side would take less than day
>>
>>335562884
>That confirms nothing.

Pretty much, but it's a step in the right direction because Blizzard publicly and officially acknowledges shit for a change. You can't expect to act overnight because that's simply not how big entities work.
>>
File: 1422532300130.jpg (138 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1422532300130.jpg
138 KB, 768x1024
>>335562431

>"have you ever thought about servers for previous expansions as they were then?"
>"No"

wew lad
>>
>>335564303
Exactly this. If they just flat out said, "Yeah, we had to shut them down, they were getting too big and infringing on our IP rights." I'd have accepted that with a quiet anger. But then they just went off on stupid bullshit to appease everyone.
>>
>>335564215
>>Wahhhhhhh eveything can be fixed with money

Still waiting for an answer from you about how this would be an impossible problem for them.

"It's too hard" is not an excuse. You'll realize this when you get out into the real world.
>>
>>335564249
You don't have to protect intellectual property. Copyrights don't genericize like trademarks do; copyright doesn't fade if you don't sue people over it.
>>
tl:dr

>no and fuck off
>>
>>335562431
they specifically say they're not happening though?
>>
>>335562431
So? like it going to really happen, even if it happen, i really doubt many people really gone back to play for long...
>>
>>335564202
Luckily you're here to explain to us why it would be so hard for Acti-Blizz' legal team to license out a property like so many other companies do, right?
>>
>>335562431
it will be shit and they will charge a fortune for it

calling it right now
>>
>>335564017
>>we had to shut Nostalrius down to protect our dying game

Blizzard has shut down Private Servers before, even when the game was doing well.
>>
>>335564263
>the whole company is a proud asshole that won't do something because it's proud
>money plays a part but they don't do what I want because they're proud, all of them, so proud

holy shit you're stupid
>>
>>335562835
>only way to get Blizzard to act these days is with bad PR
Tha saddest part about that is the fact that it was the only PR Blizzard got despite Legion being just a few months away, same with the movie.

They had to say something.
>>
File: 1335308119421.jpg (87 KB, 378x358) Image search: [Google]
1335308119421.jpg
87 KB, 378x358
HAHAHAHAHAH NOSTALRIUS KEKS ON SUICIDE WATCH
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA
>>
>>335563953
They absolutely don't have the same server structure, you enormous retard. They have the game builds since anyone can just download those anyway, but the entire way everything's placed and setup in the world needs to be recreated. You don't preserve that because there's absolutely no reason to. They've upgraded their server tech and changed file formats multiple times since then.

It also doesn't address the fact that most of the people playing are in it because it's free. Majority of them aren't going to pay for an official legacy server, so why throw money away at a huge project?
>>
>>335564356
Blizz is a business, though.
>>
File: 1433263496171.jpg (20 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1433263496171.jpg
20 KB, 720x404
>pristine server
>the same up to date game but it will take you 10x as long to reach level cap
>"this is what you guys want right?"
>>
File: Untitled.png (39 KB, 1004x376) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
39 KB, 1004x376
You guys should check out the Plebbit thread on this, it's full of people defending Blizzard
>>
>>335564424
>I'm sure people won't think that we don't give a shit about the game at all when we let everyone run their own private server, possibly even sell some goods of their own for profit!
>>
>Pristine Servers

...could be interesting. Turn off all the community-destroying shit they added in over the years, like LFD/LFR and CRZ. Game might actually be pretty decent then.
>>
>>335563953
>>335564010
>>335564026
it's a completely different server structure you retards
a completely different authentication method
remaking battlenet compatibility

don't talk about how easy shit you don't understand is
>>
>>335564409
the client would be the easiest part to get working
getting the old servers and old databases working would be the nightmare
>>
Isn't this the "You think you do but you don't" nigger?
>>
>>335562431
>And while we've looked into the possibility there is not a clear legal path to protect Blizzard's IP and grant an operating license to a pirate server

lol what horseshit
>>
>>335564575
Yes anon, we know.

Not sure if you're waiting for a pat on the head or something.
>>
>>335564008
So? What's the point of implementing such servers if they won't have enough changes to actually do what they are meant to do?

Rebuilding the community of WoW is a complex process, and it'll take more than what they've listed. Maybe they didn't list all of their ideas for the pristine servers, but still.

Eliminating all the shitty ways to group and teleport and accelerate leveling is one thing.

What is missing is an actual incentive for people to group up, and that can only be done through the difficulty of leveling.
>>
>>335564263
>in this...[bunch of emotional whining]...attempt...they didn't
>the post literally talks about the operational challenges of integrating classic servers and then supporting them as well as multiple versions of live servers

You aren't getting your legacy servers. Stop writing poems about how you don't understand where money or time goes and how it's unfair that servers don't pop out of your gaping ass.
>>
>>335564694
Considering the first comment was like it was some revelation that they won't bother if it won't turn profit, shouldn't I be acting condescending towards you?
>>
>>335564062
It's virtually impossible to develop even a modest software project in a team without a version control system (almost everyone I know uses them even for solo projects because it's just so damn convenient) and one of the features they all have is being able to restore any version the project has ever been in.

Now, Blizzard might be missing compatible server infrastructure, the build environment is probably different (for example, the libraries have changed, and using the old versions might not be a good idea due to security leaks that have since been fixed: you'd either have to port the server to newer versions of those libraries or backport security fixes to the old version and both require work), they don't have trained GMs familiar with the expansion etc. And while server software is one thing, it's more plausible they might have lost their databases (which might contain even stuff like all the scripting for quest RP and boss encounters depending on how Blizzard implemented them). But no, source code for the servers being lost is unthinkable.
>>
>>335564386
Except that isn't what people who are wanting legacy servers want. They want servers set to specific expansions/releases. All they are offering with their idea is toggling off things most players can ignore themselves. This doesn't limit the content, return old quest, or the difficulty of many zones.
>>
File: 1452009925840.jpg (39 KB, 585x398) Image search: [Google]
1452009925840.jpg
39 KB, 585x398
>>335564681
Wow it's actually him

That's hilarious
>>
>>335562878
but he never got on a airplane you dunce, he wanted to but the german police said to him "dont do it they will arrest you as soon as you step out the airport" so he didnt take the offer.
>>
>>335564419
because any resources that could be used to make a legacy server would be better used to improve the current game?

hello?
retard????????????
>>
>>335564649
Reddit is the breeding grounds of cuck faggotry and blind optimism. I'm not surprised that there are people there defending Blizzard. These are the same people that want to free criminals because nobody should be locked up.
>>
>>335564778
The point was that it's the obvious reason but not the one they publicly gave.

I'm not trying to be mean but everyone realizes already Bliz is a business to make money. You should just take that as a jumping point and use your head.
>>
>>335564649
>plebbit
if i wanted to see retarded drones i would go on mmo champ
>>
>>335564419
Do you undersdtand the technology differance from 12 years ago? Batlenet didn't exist during vanilla. Things like server transfers, paid faction changes and whatnot didn't exist untill BC.

They can't just slap down a legacy server, bootupt he database and connect it to the current system. It's "too hard" means it's a massive compatibility issue.

They'd have to do a massive amount of coding to get the database working with the new system and connect it to not only wow but battlenet.

And no they wouldn't just have the legacy stuff off on the side. Being part of the current system makes it eaiser to manage. There comes the profittablility issue. If they make offical legacy sertvers off the b.net system then they have to spend a lot more for it.

Call me a shil. Call me a blizzdrone. But have some fucking basic understanding that old tech and new tech do not mix very well. It's a programing nightmare.
>>
>>335564665
see>>335562881

have fun with all the same content with tacked on travel times to the current catch-up method, a smaller functional population, and no way of sifting through BR casuals
>>
>>335564757
>Eliminating all the shitty ways to group and teleport and accelerate leveling is one thing.
Except that group stones were added during Vanilla because Wlocks were in demand solely to force to go to the dung for summoning.

Nobody wants to go to the same place several fucking times wasting 30 minutes or so.

>and that can only be done through the difficulty of leveling.
Difficulty of leveling came from crappy itemization, underpowered as fuck classes and specs, too few quests, awful quest item drop rates and shit.
>>
>>335564669
And yet Nostalrius devs did it for free.

>But Nost didn't have to make battle.net work with it! But Nost didn't have to do whatever fucking thing I can think of
Yeah, and the game still fucking functioned, didn't it? Don't tell me Blizzard couldn't do this easily, and don't say that even if they wanted to integrate BNet into vanilla servers they couldn't do it.
>>
>>335564687
if blizzard don't pursue every serious IP violation they can when they do go after someone the courts can just tell them to fuck off
>>
>>335564757
Leveling is the worst part of the game. Completely pointless when all content is focused on the endgame and pvp isn't even slightly balanced until level cap.

I'd love to see flying removed, more limited LFG, more limited teleporting, but fuck the leveling process. Fuck doing the same 'kill x amount of x' or go click on x of these stupid fucking things thousands of times before you get to the real game. That's the most boring shit .
>>
>>335564869
Alright, I misinterpret it.
S O R R Y
O
R
R
Y
>>
>>335564658
I mean, of course it's all about money, they want people buying expansions and paying subscription fees and so forth. But you can never lose a copyright due to failing to enforce it. This whole "protecting their IP" line is complete bullshit that stems from people's vague ideas of what copyright law might be.
>>
>>335564837
Maybe I have Alzheimer's but I remember him deciding to YOLO it and get on the airplane despite everyone telling him not to. And then he gets arrested like a champ.
>>
>>335564845
>because any resources that could be used to make a legacy server would be better used to improve the current game?

Oh yeah, how's the been working out for them anon?

I'm sure if they don't devote 100% of their meager resources to shitting out worse and worse expansions, then the game would be REALLY bad.

Thanks for shedding the light anon.

>????????????

consider suicide
>>
>>335564687
IP law is a bitch. I don't know all of the exact details but surely they would have thought of something if they could have.

They couldn't license it out because Private servers use their own code. They would have to create their own licensing system to allow private servers to run and tools to allow it. You can't let someone reverse engineer it.
>>
File: rd7I-MOWxWE[1].jpg (19 KB, 200x211) Image search: [Google]
rd7I-MOWxWE[1].jpg
19 KB, 200x211
>>335564845
>Blizzard
>improve the current game

Excuse me whilst I find my sides
>>
File: 200_s.gif (45 KB, 360x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
45 KB, 360x200
>"Pristine" Servers

>WoD without the ingame store.

Wow! This looks amazing I cant wait!!
>>
>>335564887
Part of the issue with the content is that due to such things as LFD and LFR making gear acquisition so much easier, players can burn through content faster.

Eliminate those and build a sense of community on the server, so you KNOW who you are playing with, you KNOW who is good, you actually KNOW who the people in your party are because you see them day in and day out rather than some faceless nobodies from four different realms, the content that exists stands a chance of being at least a deal more palatable than the current "Oh let me just hop CRZ until the rare I need to farm is up and repeat ad nauseum until I have enough shit to go run LFR."
>>
>>335564924
If they could easily do it they would. Compatibililty is a major thing when you're dealing with 12 year old tech.
>>
>>335564984
much better than if the game had been siting in vanilla for a decade

thats for damn sure
>>
>Ask Nost devs for their code
>Develop vanilla realm
>Include alongside wow sub

This shit isn't hard.
>>
>>335564924
>Nostalrius devs did it for free.

No, they did it for no pay.

Maintaining those servers wasn't free, they had to pay for them with their OWN money and time.

Why the fuck would Blizzard do that if they couldn't monetize it? Would they make anyone who played on the official legacy servers pay another subscription fee to cover the costs? Because if they don't, they're literally offering a service that requires upkeep for FREE.

Blizzard isn't a church.
>>
>>335563110
Except it's not the true values you idiot. No one but blizzard knows the true HP values, level values, etc of each mob. What you have now in private servers are from trial and error from the private devs. This is why some servers have harder mobs and some have easier mobs, it's because they are trying to figure out what's the closest way the enemy stats were in the original.

If Blizzard took this on, they would have to look into this. They stated the old code is GONE, so the values are GONE. The mobs we see now aren't the same as they were before. Nost isn't all magic and miracles, it had its own bugs and issues that weren't normal bugs in retail Vanilla. Their code isn't the greatest, nor were they the best of private servers. They just had a playerbase.
>>
>>335564845
>could be used to make a legacy server would be better used to improve the current game?
Am I getting memed or what?
>>
>>335564904
>Nobody wants to go to the same place several fucking times wasting 30 minutes or so.
Ok? I never said that summoning stones were somehow a bad thing. Teleporting 5 players from different realms, all sitting in their capital cities, now that is a bad thing.

>Difficulty of leveling came from crappy itemization, underpowered as fuck classes and specs, too few quests, awful quest item drop rates and shit.
And also mobs that were more difficult and unforgiving, group quests and other things.

It doesn't matter WHAT it was to be honest, as long as it actually got people to play the game together. Like in an MMO.

>>335564937
>Leveling is the worst part of the game. Completely pointless when all content is focused on the endgame and pvp isn't even slightly balanced until level cap.
I never felt like that in Vanilla and TBC. I found leveling actually enjoyable when it wasn't a meanignless chore like it is today.

Yeah, sure, nowadays it's by far the worst part of the game, they even offer you to buy a way to skip it. But that's not how it used to be.
>>
>>335565075
>Would they make anyone who played on the official legacy servers pay another subscription fee to cover the costs?
...Yes? What point are you trying to make?
>>
are achievements being removed if you play on pristine servers?
a lot of features being removed are correlated to cheevos
>>
>>335564673
>>335564669
>>335564568
People who obviously don't know how servers or software in general works, defend blizzard
Why I'm not even surprised?
Don't fall for this shit, servers unlike your shitty pc don't have such big compatibility problems with old software
And old builds don't mean your game client old builds, blizzard can literally unzip this shit and instal on any free server and turn it online
The only real problem is battle.net client, but if you look how modern wow connects(unlike any others blizzard game on the battle.net), you will see that it's not a big problem too, and they just need update a launcher a little
>>
File: 1343426424572.png (295 KB, 597x457) Image search: [Google]
1343426424572.png
295 KB, 597x457
>>335565028
You are the reason why we can't have nice things.
You are a complete fucking idiot chugging on the whole "le lfr and lfd are bad meme" bullshit.
Seriously, stop.
>>
>>335564881
>Call me a shil. Call me a blizzdrone. But have some fucking basic understanding that old tech and new tech do not mix very well. It's a programing nightmare.

You're a shill and a blizzdrone and you're talking out of your ass with what I would bet money on is pure cursory knowledge and modern jackassery.

Yeah no shit stupid, they'd have issues bringing back a version of the game that doesn't exist anymore. That is not a revelation of a statement nor is it something that would surprise anyone.

If you're going to tell me that it would be too hard for Blizzard to do, while multiple other small teams have done it privately, I would politely tell you to go fuck yourself.

This is not a difficulty issue, this is a money issue. And everyone realizes Bliz is there to make money, that by itself is fine. The fact though that Bliz has to hide behind that excuse while continuing to deliver a worsening project, while at the same time denying people a different experience, is what people are mad about.
>>
Do you honestly think that they wouldn't make the money back tenfold? Let's not devolve into petty discussions here. Blizzard would make a fortune releasing real, "as they were" legacy servers. Can we agree on this or not who cares dude we're all anonymous here.
>>
>>335564971
It's ok, I'm sorry if I got rude anon.
>>
File: 1461085004500.jpg (59 KB, 761x611) Image search: [Google]
1461085004500.jpg
59 KB, 761x611
>that initial wave of thousands of people logging in day one for vanilla wow
>>
>>335564989
>IP law is a bitch. I don't know all of the exact details but surely they would have thought of something if they could have.

Actually what they would have done is mumble some incoherent legal pseudo-jargon about not wanting to let someone do for free what they can do for money, knowing that stupid people would lap it up.

Licensing legacy versions for free would be as hard as writing a fucking free license.
>>
>>335563880
>Blizzard would have to recreate it, localize it into all of their game languages that were added after vanilla, integrate Battle.net into it, provide CS support for it, and more. All of that is a ton of work

wow. it almost sounds like working at Blizzard would be......WORK! How awful! That's not what having a job is meant to be like!
>>
>>335565028
then see>>335563520

You aren't getting your idyllic vanilla happy times back. It's not the nature of the game anymore.
>>
>>335565028
Building a community on server nerver worked. Screamign in chat for a group took forever and blacklisting rarely happened. Once name and race changes got put in you could dodge that shit easy.

Let's also point out the fact that each server was more like a highschool. You had the little guild clicks that were causeing drama with each other. So even if you built up a good repetutaion a guild would likely grab you if you were decent.

People who never played vanilla have no fuckign clue the pvp politics or AQ crap that went on back then and the utter nightmare it caused cause each server was isolated.
>>
>>335562431
>would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder

What I want to know is if this would this also compensate for the adjusted XP gains from dungeons and quests?
>>
>>335562431
Fat hope OP...

Blizzard aren't wasting their money, just so that a small group of cunt gets what they want to play for the next few months than quit after that for the next few years...
>>
>>335565209
>Same reactions as when Nintendo released Pokemon Red on the virtual console and the kids who started with Diamond & Pearl were so fucking lost and confused
>>
>>335565164
i think it could make a profit

the question is for how long and is it worth the opportunity cost

the answer is probably not
>>
>>335562691

I never wanted vanilla classic, WotLK was always my dream.
>>
>>335565148
LFR and LFD are actually bad though. Unfortunately they're also a necessary evil at this point in the game's life. The population of the game is much to sparse and spread out for it to be removed. I guarantee that you'd never find a group for any dungeon under level 90 on a "pristine" server after the first couple of months.

Either you never introduce LFD and LFR or you do and there's no going back. As soon as a game has LFD/LFR there's literally no way to remove it without killing your game.
>>
Why are you guys excited? You all know it's not going to be the same. You guys will play it for 2 weeks maybe and then drop it and forget it.
>>
>>335562431

>You wanted vanilla
>So here's modern WoW with inconvenience mode turned on

FOR FUCK SAKE NOOOOOOO. I called it, I fucking called this in the first thread after Nostalrius petition started. I fucking said they'd just give us modern shit WoW just trying to emulate vanilla.

FUCK ME.
>>
>>335565340
that didn't stop me looking forward to plowing your mom
>>
>>335565164
They'd make money on them for a little while, but once you've done locked content enough you will eventually get bored. I already take monthly breaks from WoW, since Wrath, so that I don't completely crash and burn out from looking at the same zones, dungeons, and raids for months on end.

I'm not defending Blizzard, I've had my share of their shit, but legacy servers will be a passing fad once they're a thing and a good majority of those wanting them get their fill of nostaglia.
>>
Step 1. Unzip "old build.zip"
Step 2. Add support for the battle.net client
Step 3. Calculate the initial playerbase and set up servers accordingly
Step 4. Literally free money
Step 5. Merge inactive realms until status quo is reached

Literally free money.
>>
>>335564881
>They'd have to do a massive amount of coding to get the database working with the new system
My fucking sides, I'm actually crying because you are so braindead retarded
Current wow clients connects this way: you put your login/pasword in battle.net launcher=>press start game=>launcher literally starts game from your game foldier=>it's put your login/password in the game launch window=>you see your characters page
You can fucking launch new wow without even launchin battle.net, this is blizzard were THAT lazy to actually change something
>>
>>335565340
>implying Bliz will ever do it in the first place

lol
>>
>>335565253
But what for?

They got tons of game to make profit for them, why make a legacy realm that doesn't even make less than half of the profit of the other game?
>>
>>335565162
If you want to tell me to fuck off then show that masters degree in programing and go fucking code the legacy servers in.

Yes, it is a difficulty issue. And unless you got the credientals to prove otherwise I'm going to beleive blizzard over some random chucklefuck on the internet.

You really are a peice of shit if you think it's only about the money and that the differance in technology between legacy and current isn't an issue.

But please, actally prove me wrong. Go code out those compatibility issue and let know how easy it is. I'll wait.
>>
>>335565245
As someone who's been playing Pokemon since the very beginning I can say that the originals were fun to play and brought a nice bit of nostalgia, but I prefer the newer games. WoW on the other hand has only gotten markedly worse over time. I played Nostalrius up to about level 45 before I quit. And I quit not because I wasn't having fun. On the contrary I was having a lot of fun, but I knew it was only a matter of time before Blizzard stepped in. I didn't want to get invested in a character when I knew Blizzard was gonna sweep the rug. Of course I was right, but it took them a bit longer than I expected.
>>
>pristine server
>all the experience gained is vanilla-like
>but now you can level to 100
>>
>reading through the mmo-champion forums

How did this "rose tinted glasses!" meme still holds up after Nost run for over a year and people just kept playing it?

Some of the Retailcucks already switched to
>b-but only because it was FREE! ;_;
but there are still quite a lot who haven't move the goalpost yet. I don't get it.
>>
>>335565432
That sentence gave me a fucking aneurysm
>>
>>335565140
>blizzard can literally unzip this shit and instal on any free server and turn it online
>they just need update a launcher a little

how to spot someone who's never done any programming: they suggest anything is easy and all you need to do is "just do x."
>>
>>335563880
>Blizzard would have to recreate it, localize it into all of their game languages that were added after vanilla, integrate Battle.net into it, provide CS support for it, and more.

Yeah so hard that Runescape did it with a team of 3 people.
>>
>>335565340
I still can't figure out whether posts like these are made by genuine retards or if they are 1/10 bait attempts.
>>
>>335564812
>>335564681
>In his spare time, Brack thinks he enjoys playing a wide variety of games, practicing martial arts, and reading, but he doesn't.
>>
>>335565403
What makes you think they HAVE old builds?
>>
>muh nostalgia
>>
Why Vanilla? Every Expac aside from WoD had more subs, meaning those might have a better chance at drawing the crowd attention from making a Legacy server out of them.
>>
>>335565340
I would only be excited for progression legacy servers. These "pristine" servers give me no hope and no excitement. Blizzard can't do anything right these days and even if they announced progression legacy servers I'd bet money they'd find a way to ruin those too.
>>
>>335565238
Assuming that is part of "leveling acceleration" yeah, the issue is that it won't retroactive old quest (like class specific and group) and the fact a lot of mobs were a lot tougher/elite.
>>
>>335564142
>The truth is Blizzard doesn't want to divide their community into current-content and vanilla-content servers.

The community that wants legacy aren't playing modern WoW, so there is no divide.
>>
>>335562431
Not legacy servers anon. It will be servers running current content but without XP boosts, LFR, LFD, tokens and cross realm.

It's definitely a step in the right direction.
>>
>>335565238
dungeons yes, quests maybe not. But then it's a simple X-Y exp value for 1-60, 60-70, and so on.

You can get thru cata in one zone nowadays. Before it took you 100% of hyjal/vash+stonecore+uldum and abuot 50% of highlands to get those 5 levels. So up the exp needed and you're back to the same level time.

Easy to adjust for older content.
>>
>>335565521
Only because BC came out so it's impossible to know how many subs perpetual vanilla would have attained

You're a fucking idiot for not thinking that through
>>
>>335565462
Oh, I didn't mean them ragging on how bad PKMN Red/Blue was.

I mean them literally being confused by the early game mechanics. Like questioning why Gust wasn't super effective on grass types because back then, it was a Normal-Type move.
>>
>>335565512
Do you honestly think that a $19,000,000,000 company doesn't keep old builds? How is this taken as truth at all?
>>
>>335565494
Keep making fool of yourself
Software builds work exactly like that
>>
>>335565553
they'd be more divided than they are now u dip

populations in mmos have a snowball effect
>>
>>335565140
someone who obviously doesn't know how actual companies who make money works
MMOs aren't one program, they aren't even two programs, a big game like WoW has an entire infastructure that needs to be rolled back, and the old server software can't be installed as-is, it needs to be modified to work with blizzards new payment systems, etc, it needs to be recompiled so all the dependancies need to be correct, it would be a fucking nightmare to get it going
and that's not "blizzard defense", they could obviously do it if they wanted to, it's just not as easy as flipping a switch or unzipping an old server like you think it is
>>
>>335565629
>they'd be more divided than they are now u dip

Explain how a currently non-subbed player is less divided from sub player.
>>
>>335565440
I don't have to prove shit to you.

I can point a finger to the multiple existing and forgone private servers that have existed.

>b-b-but they can't do that because of modern WoW

Holy shit you're right. It's a shame we can't play Diablo 2 or Starcraft either.

Again your only argument is "it's too hard". I'm calling your argument shit and why and the only thing you can come back with is the literal "if you can't do it yourself then s-shut up".
>>
>>335565487
oh look grammar police! WEEEWOO WEEEWOOO WEEEWOOO

Better start running or he/she going to start bitching...
>>
"Pristine" servers are literally Blizzard attempting to reel in the private vanilla server players with the least amount of effort possible, and they are going to fail miserably.

At minimum you have to undo everything Cataclysm did to even attempt to woo these players.
>>
>>335565591
But anon, a BLUE post SAID it would be too HARD! That's why!
>>
Here's my question.

Provided they have the original server and client code from back then (which they should, if they're a proper company and keep copies of their previous shit for posterity/possibility of a snafu with some code from long long ago), why not just offer it as a separate entity from the main current WoW game? Like. A discounted version of WoW.

Like say, instead of paying 15bux a month, it'd be 5bux a month for Vanilla WoW, 7 for TBC, and 9 for WoTLK?
>>
>>335565521
Look instead at how many subs each expansion GAINED. And you'll find out that vanilla got 8 million, TBC got 3, and Wrath got 1. All the other expansions only lost them subs.
>>
>>335565473
>they only did it because it was free!!!
That's actually one of the reasons that kept me from playing it. I knew after it got popular enough Blizzard would kill it. So I stopped playing to avoid getting invested in a character that would be stolen from me one day. If Blizzard were to release a Nostalrius style progression legacy server I'd be in from day one and playing like a maniac. I'd pay a full sub price for it too.
>>
>>335565512

The guy who hired Blizzards first archivist for this specific job.
>>
>>335565674
>undo everything Cataclysm did
>not WoTLK
I'm looking at you, LFD, free epics and rehashed casualized Naxx
>>
>>335565440
What is stopping Blizzard from doing exactly what these private servers did?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 63

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.