[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did this fail for its entire generation? Sure it had a rough
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 12
File: fb-wiiu-400x400[1].jpg (40 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
fb-wiiu-400x400[1].jpg
40 KB, 400x400
Why did this fail for its entire generation?

Sure it had a rough start, not the smartest name or best gimmick, but it did have games. At the end of its life span now it has considerably more games than what it started with, so why on earth did this console fall flat on its face for the last 4 years?

I mean, even the 3DS was able to rebound from its poor launch with games, so when the games came to the Wii U, where were the sales at?
>>
third party support
if it had COD GTA asscreed the witcher and all the other big multiplatform games it wouldve been ok
if your only console was just a wii u this generation then you couldnt play a lot of games that were available elsewhere
yes, the wii u had some third party support at first but it was abandoned fairly quickly and even the ports were old and late and done better elsewhere
>>
>>335087262
Trying to appeal cancer gamers twice in a row. Those people already have a wii. tablets, phones, whatever.
>>
>>335087262
It had very good first parties and thirdies. W101, Bayo2, DKCTF, SM3DW, Smash, Captain Toad, Splatoon and this Star Fox. It's not their fault if people have shitty taste for games.
>>
>>335088119
If anything, the Wii U was catered more towards "core" gamers with the return to a more traditional control scheme. The duel screen gimmick was tried and true with the DS, so they applied it to a console.
Biggest mistake Nintendo made was naming it "Wii U", the average casual just assumed it was a Wii add-on.
>>
Console market is dying

The only reason the PS4 appears successful is because they stole most of MS's audience when MS fucked up

If MS never fucked up, both the PS4 and Xbone would be performing underwhelmingly
>>
It only has 2 good games on it (Bayoneta 2 and Splatoon) and one of them heavily relies on online multiplayer which sucks because it's handled by Nintendo
>>
>>335087854

Even if it did have those games and perfect free online play, most Sony/MS system owners would not have switched or double-dipped. Aside from the fact that they'd already be getting those games on the system that they already own, they're likely already dedicated to XBL/PS+ subscriptions.
>>
>>335087262
Now here we see the power of the Wii U video game console.
>>
>>335087854
Can you explain why dudebros would buy CoD, Gta, etc for Wii U instead of for a dudebro platform that has a real online infrastructure?
>>
>>335087262
>but it did have games
Technically it didn't and still doesn't.
When people say it had games they are usually referring to a wide variety of high scoring games that have mass appeal. For some reason Nintendo fans fail to understand this to this day. Let me point this out with a post above me.
>>335088398
>W101
Niche of a niche and a mediocre to good game to boot, not going to convince anyone outside of the Nintendo faithful or diehard platinum game fans (very small minority to buy)
>Bayo2
A great game but still somewhat unpopular compared to the likes of Devil May Cry or God of War again not going to appeal to many people outside of the NF or DPF
>DKCTF
A good game but good games are plentiful on all systems, it looks almost the same as it's predecessor which came out not long before it, Donkey Kong was also they smallest seller of the big kiddy games on the Wii so people should have known it's popularity was overblown.
>SM3DW
A disappointment all around. Shit compared to Galaxy and 64. Looks worse than galaxy. Way too easy except for one level. Seen it all before, But reviewers reviewed it like the typical coming of mario christ because that is all there was. Seriously this game took Mario backwards and it hurt the Wii U everywhere.
>Smash
The worst of any Smash yet but still a good game, cannibalized by the 3DS version, yeah it's a good game but it's just another staple being coded for another Nintendo console like the 3 others before it and none of which are better than Melee anyway, thus it's a good game with appeal, but it's still Nintendo core stuff at heart and isn't going to do much to attract people to buy as new cosnumers.
>Captain Toad
A budget game that is strange and gameplay is also niche it's also short and looks like a mobile game for kids there is nothing enticing here outside of the Nintendo faithful.
>Star Fox
Garbage
>Splatoon
Mediocre to good game that has very little SP content with a focus on a gyroscope gimmick and multiplayer--
>>
>>335087262
WiiU it's literally a high res NDS, so nothing ground breaking like motion controls.
Release was awful, and it seemed like Nintendo never gave a fuck, good games didn't came out until years later and it lacked the casual appeal that made the Wii the champion of the previous gen.
>>
>>335089487
Isn't captain toad hard as shit though?
>>
File: _clappingwelles_.gif (151 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
_clappingwelles_.gif
151 KB, 360x270
>>335089487
Finally someone willing to speak the truth
>>
>>335087262
Cost, no good games in the beginning of it's life, terrible name, useless controller which hiked up the price made it impossible to sell on the grey market and made local co-op a nightmare for parents was pushed over the system being a HIDef nintendo/wii console with a fun little controller added.
Did I forget how they didn't buy THQ and make them nintendo's american publishing/dev house and buy capcom and become a silent partner?

That and EA Sony Microsoft all conspiring to push forth this illconcieved failing current gen so as to make the wiiu seem like a weak early entry into the 8th gen rather then a new 3ds style upgrade of the wii.

Not even going to mention the "Nintendo is dead" pr that was spread around. Best part is that the people who bought into it and helped spread it are out on their ass in the gaming industry mainly because the ps4 and xb1 have a tiny piss puddle of gamers that only buy the exact same few games and game genres.

Best part is that sony and ms are going ahead with their "oh god nintendo is coming out with a new console and they're not fucking around now" plan of creating a quasi 9th gen with slightly upgraded and more expensive versions of the current gen consoles.
>>
>>335089487
focus which most Nintendo fans hate until Nintendo decided to do it with paint. This could have been a huge game but it had no budget and little content like no maps and shit was drip fed to you at a snails pace that turned off everyone who had another system with another multi game to play. However due to the squids it sold a million in JP which is a big feat. Nintendo almost had the right idea with this game it's not really worth it until 6 months later when the game is feature complete and by then it's too late and missed its boat - just like Street Fighter V.

So basically you named a smattering of mediocre to good games with ONE OR TWO great games mixed in that are just Nintendo staples but unanimously some of the worst in their franchises. So this would mean that even some of the diehard Nintendo fans wouldn't pick it up because the entries in those games are poor. Nintendo just can't seem to understand that. They NEED to do what Sony does, and have a variety of games from EVERY genre with BIG production values (Uncharted, Bloodborne, Infamous) mixed in with a bunch of smaller more experimental indie titles on a smaller budget (Alienation, Shadow of the Beast) while simultaneously supporting and promoting 3rd party tentpoles for well known and BRAND NEW IP (Destiny, The Witcher 3) as well as appealing to niches by making the console attractive to work on for them with cheap fees, etc (Compile Heart, Koei Tecmo). I'm an old piece of shit (28) so I remember when no one gave a fuck about ATLUS but Sony gave them discounts and dev kits to make a game on PS1 just because it was their m.o and in the end we have Persona which is bigger than ever. Nintendo NEED to understand this.
>>
I don't think Nintendo left 2004 until recently. Unfortunately amiibos have indicated that they have passed the 2007 threshold and are now as shit as every other company
>>
>>335089487
>high scoring games that have mass appeal
What games?

If you mean stuff like cod and the latest sports title or assassins creed then you're quite honestly full of shit.

Sony and MS are both running on the same handfull of franchises and same handful of genres. FPS, shooter and sports. That's it.

There is no mass appeal and most of the games, if they don't pay them off or are part of the big publishers, get middling scores at best.
>>
the name was a horrible choice. people in general are too retarded to realize its a new system

no 3rd party hits or must-have exclusives

did nintendo abandon players choice? i feel like gamecube was the last time i saw a nintendo game get an extended + half-price print run. this is how you lure in people sitting on the fence! all your 'classics' at a discount

they couldve milked the nostalgia market and 'packed in' a good handfull of virtual console games
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 730x410) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 730x410
Fatal Frame 5 is my favourite game on Wii U yet no one ever talks about. I'm guessing nobody really knows about it.
>>
>>335090613

It bombed due to digital only, plus despite its aesthetic you really have to play it like an arcade shooter instead of survival horror to get the most out of it.
>>
>>335090579
Ubisoft made some great exclusives for the system, ZombiU and Rayman Legends but then ported them to other consoles years later.

Players choice is now called 'Nintendo Selects' on both Wii U and 3DS.
>>
Relying on gimmicks hasn't worked for Nintendo a second time, but the thing is they are known for gimmicks, and people are easily bored with such things.

The naming was a misfire. It sounds like Wii.5. I know it's not an upgraded Wii, but knowing this doesn't change that it still feels like it's an upgrade of a very old console that was momentarily popular and the rightfully panned.

Nintendo is a toy maker and their consoles reflect this. Refusing to evolve doesn't make them stalwart, it makes them easier to compete with. In an ever-growing tow and entertainment market they are a dated brand with dated ideas. People will buy what they want, not what they're told to buy.

Being out of step with other consoles. They made it clear during the Wii era that they were not in competition with MS ans Sony, but most people will see them as competing no matter what they say. They really are, and it's really costing them. They can be stubborn and force this message, or realize that releasing a new console halfway into the life of their competitors only hurts them because people will stick with their investments until a true next generation cycle begins.

They really have hurt their own image, and it hasn't gotten better because they haven't really evolved.
>>
because nintendo is trash now and the only games they make appeal to 5-10 year olds

besides bayonetta, xenoblade, and mario maker there is nothing. Nothing at all.
>>
I think it lacks enough 'killer app' appeal to fly off shelves
>>335088398
is a good list of WiiU games, but how many people are going 'shit, I absolutely -need- to buy a WiiU to play Splatoon'
They are really dragging their feet on the new Zelda and I think that is hurting them.
>>
>>335090750
ZombiU had some really nice concepts and it was cool that at least somebody tried to explore the gamepad as an interface rather than just a second screen, but it was really rushed for launch and ended up getting some heavily negative feedback for it. The port fixed some problems, but without the gamepad the game loses a lot of its appeal.

Rayman Legends was a dick move because it was moved to other platforms before it released on WiiU, and I think the news came at around the same time they were delaying the game.
>>
>>335090456
>What games?
Do you really need to ask?
It's simple - critically acclaimed games that sell to the mass market.

Metal Gear Solid V TPP
Fallout 4
The Witcher 3
The Last of Us
Bloodborne
Grand Theft Auto V

These are critically acclaimed games that have sold millions. None of which are on Nintendo consoles (two of which can't be though)

>If you mean stuff like cod and the latest sports title or assassins creed then you're quite honestly full of shit.

Once again you VALIDATE everything I have just been saying, learn from me;

It doesn't matter if YOU don't like it
It doesn't matter if I don't like it
All that matters are the numbers - the number that makes up the general opinion of the game from fans and critics alike - and the numbers that tell you how much the game sold because it does or doesn't appeal to x amount people

Numbers don't lie

crawl out of your pathetic contrarian normie hating shell and educate yourself friend
>>
>>335089487
>Wii U has no games
>Here are the games
>They don't count!

A for effort, though.
>>
>>335091109
Why does mass appeal matter to you?

Are you a shareholder?
>>
>>335091279
>Why does mass appeal matter to you?

>Are you a shareholder?

How stupid are you? It doesn't matter to ME. It matters to NINTENDO. They are the ones who need to build a successful product. Jesus learn to follow a conversation.
>>
Nintendo is not actually that popular outside of Mario and Pokemon. Just look at the sales of the N64 and GC, they had a fair amount of games but didn't sell well. Wii only sold well because there was a trend among non gamers who probably just played the free copy of Wii Sports that came with it. Currently, a majority of gamers only care about the multiplats like Mass Effect (previously), GTA, Assassin's Creed, Batman, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Call of Duty, etc. They're not looking for a console with the best exclusives, they just want a single platform to play all of these casual, accessible games.
>>
>>335091279
gee son, I wonder why someone is arguing in favor of mass appeal in the "why did the WiiU flop" thread
>>
File: nintendrones.jpg (40 KB, 500x534) Image search: [Google]
nintendrones.jpg
40 KB, 500x534
>>335088398
>It's not their fault if people have shitty taste for games.
>>
>>335091440
perfect, bravo
>>
>>335089487
>W101 mediocre

mildly upset.
>>
>>335091128
>>Wii U has no games
Literally no one said that dumb fuck. God I hate Nintendo fans.
>>
i give the wiiu props for being the only true vidya console this gen

xbone and ps4 are gimped PCs in denial
>>
It didn't cater to casuals.
>>
>>335091538
Yes look at all these hardcore games like Super Mario 3D World or Splatoon.
>>
>>335091503
Sorry it's my opinion and the opinion of critics.
Bad story, bad characters, strange graphics that are way too small, excessive padding, retarded as fuck control scheme. The entire reason why Bayonetta 2 is so good is the reason why this game is bad.
>>
I love my WiiU, however my biggest gripe is that it has no JRPGs, not a single one, well until June when TMSFE comes out. Most of the games on my PS4 are RPGs.
>>
>>335091532
>>but it did have games
>Technically it didn't and still doesn't.
I know it was a long post but it doesn't excuse your poor reading comprehension. Hope you get that worked out before you start your SATs since you're obviously underaged
>>
>>335087262
Here's a list
>didn't appeal to casuals
>reused the Wii name
>lack of third party support
>piss poor advertising
>games weren't brown, grey and grounded in realism
>poor gamepad battery life
>didn't contain the genres that have become popular
That said it's pretty much guaranteed to become the hidden gem of the generation and be heavily sought after in later years like several systems of the past.
So if you have it and are planning on selling it soon, remember to hold onto it.
>>
>>335091820
>When people say it had games they are usually referring to a wide variety of high scoring games that have mass appeal. For some reason Nintendo fans fail to understand this to this day.
You were one line away friend
>>
>>335091279

In the end, mass appeal matters to you. Why? When more of the masses buy a console, the cash infusion can be used into titles that appeal to you, not them (aside from maintaing mass appeal momentum that is).

Once again, like that anon said.
It doesn't matter if YOU don't like it and it doesn't matter if I don't like it. What matters is that the console sells so developers have a reason to develop games due to the numbers.
>>
>>335091860
>>games weren't brown, grey and grounded in realism
Nintendo fans are so fucking hilarious.
>>
>>335091820
>I only read one sentence and tell me people they are the ones with bad reading comprehension
Seriously kid? Why don't you read this line
>When people say it had games they are usually referring to a wide variety of high scoring games that have mass appeal. For some reason Nintendo fans fail to understand this to this day. Let me point this out with a post above me.
Dumb fuck.
>>
Because their games never go on sale.

Even the games they ported from warez roms are 12 dollars.

They don't understand yet that their 5 year old games arent worth 39.99 and thats why they dont sell copies.

Same with their console. Same price even though everyone knows a new console is coming out this year. Shit should be 200 dollars for a bundle now.
>>
>>335089487
>When people say it had games they are usually referring to a wide variety of high scoring games that have mass appeal.
Using that same logic none of the three consoles have any games because they had piss poor scores lower than a considerable amount of previous generation games, you can't just arbitrarily single out a specific range and not apply it to anything else.

On top of that the majority of the games listed in your post did in fact get great scores so by your logic it does in fact have games.
>>
>>335092027
>can't list any big game that doesn't follow those
>>
>>335091860
More like:

>it appeal to casuals, but failed and got manchild and autist instead
>reused the Wii name
>lack of third party support
>piss poor online structure
>games look like shit and cost $60 plus Amiibos + dlc, etc.
>poor gamepad design and battery life
>didn't contain any games other than Marios and a few exceptions like Bayoneta
>>
File: 1371847754626.png (187 KB, 334x393) Image search: [Google]
1371847754626.png
187 KB, 334x393
>>335091916
>>335092031
>b-b-but those don't count because I said so
That's a retarded, disingenuous definition by any standard. You aren't fooling anybody by pretending to have applied your standards to the other consoles.
>>
>>335092031
>kid
>Dumb fuck.
This ugly virgin takes video game arguments pretty seriously
>caring this much that someone defends a failing console
Do you feel better that you bought the more popular console? Does it validate your hobby? You're still a loser
>>
>>335092396
The main subject was about why the Wii U flopped. Anon told why it flopped, and you're throwing a shitfit because of one sentence which clearly didn't mean what you think it meant.
>>
>>335087262
We have this thread every fucking day

>Bland gimmick
>No third party support because of this
>Awful brand
>No identity (they wanted casuals and hardcores at the same time, and they didn't get anyone)
>Nintendo bad rep as a company (kiddie, underpowered)
>Nintendo in HD has been lackluster as fuck

It's a nice little console, but come on, it's clear why it failed.
>>
>>335092460
I don't even own a console. I literally come to these threads to argue.
>>
>>335092267
>>it appeal to casuals, but failed and got manchild and autist instead
Yeah no, if it appealed to casuals they would have lapped it up like they did with the PS4
>>piss poor online structure
This is a secret but the only bad thing about it is the account system, the rest of it is fairly stable compared to their competitiors that almost always kick you out of the game on the fly
>>poor gamepad design
This is more of a personal complaint and you know it.
>>didn't contain any games other than Marios and a few exceptions like Bayoneta
See, I was about to list some games but then I realised you would go with the usual
>shit
>okay but shit
>double shit
>not even a game
response.
>>
>>335088440
>If anything, the Wii U was catered more towards "core" gamers
>core gamers like to play tablet trash
>>
>>335092798
>>core gamers like to play tablet trash

That's ironic coming from someone who has a console that plays games with zero challenge nor difficulty and most od them look like they were developed for android.
>>
>>335093183
Dont get mad nintendrone, you learned your lesson
>>
>>335091860

>named itself like it was a Wii peripheral
>was initially marketed like one too
>having a tablet for a controller was its big gimmick, with the biggest innovation being the ability to play games on the shitter
>nearly all major Wii U games are sequels to 3DS games or have 3DS equivalents, save for Bayonetta 2 and Splatoon
>the only reoccurring Nintendo IP to truly give a shit this gen was Mario Kart. Everything else was phoned in and iterative of previous games.
>amiibos scaring away people by locking away content for scalpers to take advantage of

Wii U is honestly getting better with time, but yet again so is the Xbox One.
>>
>>335092396
In the content of THIS THREAD which is why the Wii U flopped I am explaining why it's LACK OF GAMES is the cause. If a console had a ton of shit scoring shit looking shit playing shit selling games it would still have "games" sure, but it would also be the reason the console wouldn't sell.
>>
File: .jpg (44 KB, 300x338) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
44 KB, 300x338
>>335089487
DELETE THIS
>>
>>335089487

>SM3DW

Fucking FINALLY someone was honest about this. Perfectly decent game, but completely overrated for what it is. It sure is no substitute for a flagship 3D Mario.
>>
>>335087262
I don't care, I like about 10 Wii U games, and I've liked 1 PS4 game so far
>>
>>335089487
>gyroscope gimmick
literally better than right-stick in every way

quit memeing and play the games
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JElywbkSbY
>>
>>335093510
Wii U doesn't have "shit scoring shit looking shit playing shit selling games".
How do you even get this mad?
>>
but does it have doom
>>
Why bother asking this daily? The majority of /v/ don't even accept the reality that the system was a failure - How are we to discuss why it failed, when so many are still in denial?
>>
>>335094487
No. Nintendo is doomed tho.
>>
>>335092105
Since you are having trouble understand my point friend;

Wii U (Keep in mind the anon listed these as the best games)
TW101 - 78 - Japanese action
Bayo 2 - 91 - Japanese action
DKCTF - 83 - 2D Paltformer
SMW3D - 93 - 3D Platformer
SSB - 85 - Party/Fighting
Captain Toad - 81 - 3D Platformer w Puzzles
Splatoon - 81 - Shooting game
Star Fox Zero - 72 - On rails arcade game

PS4 (for example)
Grand Theft Auto V - 97 - Open World Action/Driving
Metal Gear Solid The Phantom Pain - 93 - Japanese open world Action/TPS
TLoU R - 95 - Cinematic TPS
The Witcher 3 - 92 - European made Open world RPG
Bloodborne - 92 Japanese semi open world action RPG
Journey - 92 - Wide linear 3D adventure game
Dark Souls 3 - 89 - as above
Ratchet & Clank - 86 3D Platformer action hybrid
Salt and Sanctuary - 85 - 2D Platforming Action RPG
LittleBigPlanet 3 - 80 - 2D Platformer w creation tools

I could go on and on, do you get it yet?
>>
The Wii U is a piece of shit, and so is its library.
>>
they sold their soul for a gimmick, if they matched the ps4s power this generation would have been theirs.
>>
>Nintendo console
> no Zelda
> no Mario
> no metroid
>>
>>335094614
Yes

Sonyggers will buy non-exclusives to justify their PS4 purchase
>>
>>335087262
The games. Its always about the games.

People only care about 2 things: Smash and Mario Kart. Both of this games came very late on this console lifespan. The console literally had no games.
>>
>>335089487
What about Pokken Tournament?
>>
>>335090809
I liked Splatoon
>>
>>335097452
>no metroid
You might as well use no F-zero or star tropics as a reason.
>>
>>335099457
the prime series was a pretty big mover of gamecubes not too long ago
>>
>>335087262
I think I've isolated the problem.
>>
>>335087262
>Why no sales?
Because it has little to no third party support, or the big multiplats that other consoles have. Those games move platforms. Not having them makes the Wii U's library much much smaller than it's competitors.
>>
>>335087262
Tried to appeal to casuals again.
>whoops all the casuals are gone
Weak hardware centered around a gimmick, so they were guaranteed no third party support from the start. And the library isn't that great (seriously overrated by Nintendo fans, it's not bad but it's not that good) so they can't carry it alone like the N64.
>>
>>335087854
It DID have COD.
>>
File: 81LqNpYLYSL._SL1500_[1].jpg (188 KB, 1069x1500) Image search: [Google]
81LqNpYLYSL._SL1500_[1].jpg
188 KB, 1069x1500
>>335087854
>>335101183
This

It did also have Asscreed 3 and 4, as well as Arkham City and ME3.

At some point though 3rd party support just died.
>>
>>335087854
> The Witcher
> AC
> COD

You know the Wii U's shite hardware can't run Witcher 3, Syndicate, or BO3 right? Tbqh, Nintendo jumped the gun with marginally better gpu and cpu when they should've stayed competitive with PS4 and Xbone.
>>
>>335101431
third party support for the first year. After that every one moved to next gen consoles, making muli plats difficult to port to the wii u hardware.
>>
>>335087262
First impressions mean a lot.
Just like Xbone is still being called the Xbone.
>>
>>335101630
>marginally better gpu and cpu
The Wii U's cpu is arguably worse than what's in the ps3 and 360.
>>
>>335099730
The gamepad is unironically great.
>>
>>335101706
Well perhaps but even then titles that were coming out for the PS3/360 never got Wii U ports, like AC: Rogue, GTA V and MGS V.

>But its too violent for a Nintendo console!

Somehow people forget that Manhunt 2 was on the Wii.

I'm just saying, at some point third party support completely died either due to third parties not wanting to develop for it, or due to Nintendo not allowing licenses for these games.
>>
>>335090396
Don't forget the need to create exciting new 1ST PARTY IPs too.
> Sony introduced Gravity Rush and Horizon Zero Dawn
> Microsoft brought Ori and Quantum Break, with Sea of Thieves and Cuphead coming up
> Meanwhile Nintendo's been fapping to their worn out Mario and Zelda IPs (apart from Splatoon).
>>
>>335101431
Lego games are still coming out on it.
>>
>>335087262

>zero marketing
>bad gimmick that even Nintendo didn't know what to do with
>price point changed a mere $50 despite dismal sales
>games were all rehashes

I'm sorry I own one.
>>
>>335102049
>AC: Rogue, GTA V and MGS V.
It's because the Wii U's hardware was a goddamn mess to develop for. The CPU was a terrible bottleneck that many devs had trouble working around with the multiplats that were on the wii u during it's first year. That's why titles like Splinter Cell, Bamham, Watchdogs and Ass Creed had performance issues that had them running worse than the 360 versions.

The Wii U's market share was so small, and it's hardware such a bitch to design around that most third party devs abandoned it because it wasn't worth the effort.
>>
The WiiU is what the Wii should have been in 2006 to compete directly with PS3 and 360. Nintendo is always lagging a gen behind. N64 technologically is a piece of shit compared to the PlayStation, again the PS2 is much more powerful than the GameCube and the PS3 is again way more powerful than the Wii. Nintendo needs to step it up this time and over power the PS4.
>>
>>335087262
The name. simple as that. shouldn't have named it a Wii again.

then the drouth of launch games.
>>
The Name and Tablet combination, not to mention the system looking like a Wii. Problem is, the nips were fine with this shit because they have functional brains; Nintendo is too xenophobic too realize that America isn't up to snuff, ALSO shitty hardware is shitty hardware is shitty hardware
>>
File: 1440261877933.png (130 KB, 232x198) Image search: [Google]
1440261877933.png
130 KB, 232x198
>>335102497
>the PS2 is much more powerful than the GameCube
You're a funny guy.
>>
>>335102497
>again the PS2 is much more powerful than the GameCube

Thats actually the other way around.
>>
>>335102723
>>335102740
If that is the case then it really didn't show desu
>>
>>335102887
RE4 you fucking idiot.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
>>335102887
Except that it did.
>>
>>335102887
>ignoring all the multiplats from that gen that were clearly superior on the gamecube
You really weren't paying attention.
>>
File: auntbullshit.png (312 KB, 840x720) Image search: [Google]
auntbullshit.png
312 KB, 840x720
>>335087262
>sell over 10 million of a product for $300 each
>$3,000,000,000 in revenue not including software sales is a failure
Sounds like you don't know jackshit about business. Making a profit doesn't mean you have to outsell the competition, bub.
>>
>>335102497
>N64 technologically is a piece of shit compared to the PlayStation
What?
>PS2 is much more powerful than the GameCube
Please tell me you're just pretending.
>>
>>335103236
Except that it sold at a loss at its launch time.
>>
>>335102971
>inb4 "I like the blur!"
>>
>>335103395
Yes, like a $40 loss so "All you have to do is buy one game", as Reggie put it
>>
>>335087262
>uh well no we don't have a Metroid
>nope, no Zelda either
>also no F-Zero, Excitebike, or Pilotwings
>we've got lots of shitty toys though
>and we designed a new IP that answers the question "how can we sell a shooter to 6 year olds without upsetting their parents?"

if it didn't have a nintendo logo on the box it would've flopped harder than ouya. what a piece of absolute garbage.
>>
File: EA Customer Service.jpg (61 KB, 635x475) Image search: [Google]
EA Customer Service.jpg
61 KB, 635x475
>>335103395
Invalid argument. Every current gen console is selling at a loss, both when they launched and in the present day.
>>
nintendo has shitty marketing habits and they dont listen to fans. All of their IP's are getting stale and nostalgia is the life support of nintendo
>>
>>335103236
>it made at least a little profit
>therefore it;s a success

Sounds like you don't. There's this thing called opportunity cost. How much potential lost money did Nintendo lose on the Wii U by focusing on it and not other projects? Nintendo could have theoretically skipped the Wii U altogether, doubled down on the 3DS, and made MUCH more money.
>>
>>335090750
>Players choice is now called 'Nintendo Selects'
Players no longer choose. Now it is Nintendo who selects.
>>
>>335087262
The games anon, nitendo lack 3rd party support, that means that if you dont like mario and his universe of games you are pretty much fucked

At least with other consoles you can still choose, you dont like gta? play tomb raider or mgs or uncharted or fifa or whatever, you can keep looking for more ips

It doesnt matter that nintendo have like 20 games and 15 are mario related or kiddie games like w101 for example
>>
>>335104845
Oh yeah, Interesting,
>>
>>335098407
Its a bad fighting game
>>
>>335090750
>ported them to other consoles years later
you mean immediately after?
>>
>>335103564
>F-Zero, Excitebike, or Pilotwings
go to bed gramps. those don't sell.
>>
>>335106514
Zombi took years, However I wasn't aware just how fast Rayman jumped ship.
>>
>>335094067
Same here.
>>
Was it so hard to have a copy of Mario or Smash Bros on the gamepad and be able to play on the train while going to work ? When back home, the save would be transfered on the Wii U and i will play on my TV.
>>
>>335108603
Any normal person would never take their Gamepad out of the house.
>>
Buying a console for just 2 or 3 games isn't worth the risk
>>
They assumed they could ride on the success of the Wii and were dead wrong about it.
>>
>>335088930
Ironically, Nintendo Network is not only free, but also functions way, way better than PSN and Live.
>>
>>335109179

Since when?

I've heard nothing but bad things about it.
>>
>>335108603
NX.
>>
the Wii U failed because it was simply underpowered. Its also going to keep failing because brand loyalty is a thing. New gamers wont want it because their friends will all have Xbone/PS4 and they dont want to be the weirdo with the Nintendo. Its also been in third place so long that unless you are 30 or older, you don't even remember Nintendo being the shit. The Wii U is my fav console this gen but it is annoying that I can't play Bloodborne, Witcher, Wolfenstein FFXV, Tomb Raider on it. The ports it did have were in fact shit (I have Watchdogs/Darksiders). I like it but it just isn't as good as the other consoles and its still 300 fucking dollars which blows my mind. I have more games on it than my PS4 or Xbone but they dont feel like current gen games. They feel like niche games, and dated, and nobody fucking has one.
They need to sink some money into marketing and become "cool" again and the only way to do that is through 3rd party.
>>
>>335109228
Don't listen to that twat. Play Sm4sh and you'll see just how horrible the network can be.
>>
They just stopped making good games. I don't know why
>>
>>335109818
sm4sh is fucked, but mk8 and splatoon are flawless
>>
No games, no hardware, no online

Lets be real. An HD mario fart and some 3 hour shovelware games designed for literal toddlers for $60 isnt a selling point to the average consumer
>>
>>335110465
>Sm4sh is fucked
The gameplay's fucked but it has the best music, stages, online and roster which is saying
>>
Can we admit that Sony's putting out the best library they've had in years?
>>
>>335110625
He was talking about the online multiplayer. Its fubar. Unplayable at times.
>>
>>335111437
On the main online modes yeah. /v/eekend here seems fine though and that's what I care about
>>
>>335087854
>and all the other big multiplatform games it wouldve been ok
No it wouldn't have for several reasons. The first is that why would people hop to a platform where the graphics are barely better than the system they had at that point (360 or PS3) except now it requires you to lug around a gigantic iPad to play it? The second is that the online stuff is garbage on Nintendo systems. No parties, no joining in on friends games, no voice chat, it's a complete downgrade in every single way.

Take a look at Assassin's Creed.Black Flag, it released at the exact same time as all the others but its sales were way way way lower than any other system. The game was also coming out on the Xbone and PS4, so the graphics would be much better and it would run better in general compared to the Wii U, and you still had copies on the older systems as well.

Simply getting the third parties on boards wouldn't do anything due to the stigma of owning a Nintendo system, the online capabilities are garbage compared to any competitors, and it did what systems they already had did.
>>
>>335087262
Underpowered
Dead 3rd party support
Shit cunt roller

I've never even seen a WiiU in person btw
Thread replies: 140
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.