[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spec OpsThe Line
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: Spec_Ops_The_Line_cover[1].png (252 KB, 300x367) Image search: [Google]
Spec_Ops_The_Line_cover[1].png
252 KB, 300x367
Just finished this and I come to a horrible conclusion. I actually liked the gameplay. Am I casual? Should I kill myself? Probably. But untill then, what are some game similiar to this one?
>>
Well if you like it you like it, no shame in enjoying things
>>
>>335065258
Are you alien ?
>>
File: Fatal Flaw.jpg (258 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Fatal Flaw.jpg
258 KB, 640x360
>>335064873
The gameplay was fine, I just didn't think it was where the appeal lied.

>games similiar to this one
You mean, third person shooters, or psychological horrors?
>>
>>335065362
spoopy
>>
>>335065426
I liked that the story was kind of darker than your usual shooter. And the gameplay wasn't anything special but still strangely satisfying for some reason, I'm not exactly sure why.

But yeah I guess I'm mostly looking for good third person shooters. I just finished Brother in Arms Hell's Highway as well, really liked it.
>>
File: spec ops.jpg (97 KB, 1056x398) Image search: [Google]
spec ops.jpg
97 KB, 1056x398
>>
>>335064873
the gameplay may be generic, but its still good.

decent AI, weapon feel, level design, pacing, and controls. not to mention the setting is really cool and controlling your squad is alright. honestly one of the "best feeling" cover shootan games iv played
>>
>>335066954
I thought the story was kind of nice. We've gotten so used to killing people in video games it's cool they're trying to add a little weight to it I guess.
>>
it's a fun game and the story is alright.

people just hate it because they can't have fun. They're the same people that ruin movies by blathering about how 'unrealistic' they are
>>
>>335067305
>it's cool they're trying to add a little weight to it I gues
I want more shit like in Alpha Protocol where they had a lifetime counter for how many orphans you made by killing people. That was good stuff.
>>
>>335064873
It's just solid gameplay with no gimmicks. Some people need gimmicks, I like solid gameplay.
One thing that bugged me was low ammo limit, but I understand reason behind it: so you can never have enough to feel comfortable.
>>
>>335066569
I guess there's Mass Effect, and Red Dead Redemption. If you don't mind looking in a completely different genre.
>>
File: specops_painting.jpg (58 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
specops_painting.jpg
58 KB, 600x337
Honestly, really got into The Line. One of the few military shooters that I recommend to people.
>>
>>335067742
I tried Mass Effect actually. Couldn't really get into it, might give it another shit. As for Red Dead Redemption, looks exactly like my kind of game but I don't have a PS3 unfortunately.
>>
Max Payne 3. Thank me later.
>>
>>335064873
There wasn't anything wrong with the gameplay. It was a stock cover shooter, maybe slightly below average.

The biggest problem with Spec Ops was the game constantly telling you LOOK WHAT YOU DID YOU'RE A BAD PERSON ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS TURN THE GAME OFF
>>
>>335064873
Nigga just enjoy things, stop asking for validation at every turn.

If you just wanted to make a Spec Ops thread, that's okay.
>>
>>335068008
The first Mass Effect's a bit of a slow burn, and has the weakest combat of the series.

It's good for atmosphere and getting the whole story, but ME2's where the combat's updated.
>>
Decent gameplay with brilliant storytelling. People didn't like it because they felt threatened by the game's message
>>
>>335068286
I get what you're saying. It's just that I dont usually like these kind of games and especially this kind of gameplay.
>>
>>335068135
I'll thank you for him anon, game is fun as fuck.

For what OP wants, take a look at Wolfenstein The New Order, then the Old Blood if you come off enjoying New Order.

Also, Binary Domain has some solid goddamn shooting though story is not dark, it's very entertaining and is quite thrilling in it's own right.
>>
>>335069510
OP here. Loved The New order. Old Blood was okay but not as good.
>>
>>335064873
Nothin wrong with you, people heard "this is a game where the story is much better than teh gameplay", didn't like the story and thus assumed by proxy that the gameplay must therefor suck.

It's completly fine, the fact that there's little ammo fporces you both to get out of cover and actually try different weapons, mechanically it works well and the explosions have a good weight to them. Other than the awkward autorun there's nothing wrong with the gameplay at all.

The story is absolutely brilliant though.
>>
File: The Hyde.gif (318 KB, 192x256) Image search: [Google]
The Hyde.gif
318 KB, 192x256
>>335066569
The gameplay was in the exact same range of functional but nothing special as Binary Domain's gameplay for me

I really like both those games still, replay them from time to time
>>
>>335070629
The story isn't "brilliant". The writer recently said in an interview he intentionally wrote a dumb story in order to spite his boss. Even the protagonist's VA (Nolan North) was butthurt.
>>
>>335067305
>I thought the story was kind of nice. We've gotten so used to killing people in video games it's cool they're trying to add a little weight to it I guess.

I like that part.

Overall I enjoyed the game very much, even though the action gets ridiculous by the end when you are fighting against an entire battalion of American soldiers.
>>
I personally thought the gameplay was so dogshit awful that I couldn't force myself to play past the part where the dudes are hanging on the highway.

But I'm glad you enjoyed the game, Op, I'd rather you have fun with your purchase than agree with me.
>>
>>335070629
>The story is absolutely brilliant though.

The story is ok. Is has some really strong elements but I think the character's overall arch isn't too good. The ending annoyed me. It felt like a cop out.
>>
>>335064873
your casual level is over 9000
>>
>>335071251
>The ending annoyed me. It felt like a cop out.
That's because it was.
>"At the end of Spec Ops, the whole big climatic scene where you find out [that you're crazy and have been hallucinating the villain] ... we had nobudget." Williams had to slap the scene together out of preexisting footage, like if in Star Wars VIII they ran out of money and had to reuse the lightsaber battle from VII with a different background.
>"That entire scene was done with motion capture from other scenes. I'm like 'We need this,' they're like 'Uh, we have no time or money,' so I said, 'Send me the files, I don't care if they've been used, we can just point the camera from a different angle and slap a different character model on it and no one will realize they've seen this before.' It's a weird way to reuse footage. It's a constant struggle."
>>
>>335071556
This happens a lot though. It's funny how it's easier to make an interesting story than it is to make a satisfying ending.
>>
>>335064873
baineridomein
>>
>>335068135
Silly Anon, he wants to play a game, not watch a movie.
>>
>>335064873
The Metal gear solid games are similar
>>
The small bit of Resident Evil 6 that I played was exactly like Spec Ops: The Line; run to cover, shoot mooks, rinse and repeat.
>>
Well, if you like Third Person Cover Shooters like that, there's probably three games I can give you that are also kinda casual.

Tomb Raider (2013), Uncharted, and Gears of War. If you liked Spec Ops, you'll probably like them.

There's also the good Hitman games.
>>
File: Vvgjgg.jpg (46 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Vvgjgg.jpg
46 KB, 640x640
We all have that secret someone.
>>
>>335071863
>>335071556

There's purpose behind it. I read an industry article about two years ago that basically stated that some of the big wigs had done research and found that only 10% of players finished games.

Thus, they instructed studios to spend all of their money frontloading content and spectacle, and leave nothing for the end. Because few players will see it, and those who do obviously love the game and will overlook it.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.