[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What game marked the decline of Final Fantasy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
File: FFX-2logo.jpg (59 KB, 1000x678) Image search: [Google]
FFX-2logo.jpg
59 KB, 1000x678
What game marked the decline of Final Fantasy?
>>
VI
>>
>>
>>335045836
>the first good FF game marked its decline
>>
VII
>>
File: my ff chart favorites.jpg (3 MB, 6022x5421) Image search: [Google]
my ff chart favorites.jpg
3 MB, 6022x5421
>>335045680
Final Fantasy didn't decline. Every single mainline Final Fantasy game is at least "good" and many spinoffs are good and/or better.

There are some FF games I don't personally care for and some I like, but they are all high quality games and I'm really looking forward to Final Fantasy XV.
>>
>>335045680
I would say XIII, everything before that one was bearable
>>
The series peaked somewhere on the SNES.
7 marked the start of the decline, though it was still good.
10 was the first bad one.
>>
>>335045680
Dragon Quest.
>>
this piece of garbage
>>
>>335046196
>7 marked the start of the decline

Holy shit this is so contrarian I think it would give Ball Maher a run for his money.
>>
XIII

Everything before that was generally enjoyable in some way with X-2 having the best combat in the series.
>>
>>335046329

It's not that rare an opinion to think the SNES FF games were best, is it?
>>
>>335046321
That was the most detailed FF game ever made though, and also has more content than any other FF game. Like, it should take 200+ hours just to do everything in it. It was the most "meaty" FF game.
>>
File: FF reactions.png (3 MB, 2080x3060) Image search: [Google]
FF reactions.png
3 MB, 2080x3060
>>335046109
>That bait tier shit taste.

Holy fucking shit I have never reflexively disregarded somebody's opinion so quick before. Thanks for proving there's still new things for me to discover in life, Anon.
>>
X is the only true answer.
It's a linear casual piece of shit that's as bad as XIII and the only ones who defend it are underage faggots whose first console was PS1.
>>
>>335045680
Well that one definitely marked the first time a FF game had no artistic or creative merit and was purely a cash-grab. The excellent battle system aside, the game's story and treatment of the characters is truly abhorrent if you actually think about it for a second.

13 and its various sequels are the first FFs with no redeeming features tho
>>
>>335045680
II
>>
>>335046109
Awesome list! I, too, agree that FF12 was an excellent game.
>>
File: FFIX Burmecia.jpg (95 KB, 700x450) Image search: [Google]
FFIX Burmecia.jpg
95 KB, 700x450
>>335046689
He posted 12, not 9, Anon. Honest mistake I'm sure.

>MMO tier garbage combat
>Vacuous plot
>Zero side games
>Empty dungeons
>Monster hunts dragging out runtime is good content lel
>Random treasure in disappearing loot jars ever being good

Fucking trash tier game.
>>
>>335046321
I completely understand that a lot of gamers didn't like Final Fantasy 12. There's simply too much to do in it. While the single-digit Final Fantasies boast 30-40 hours of gameplay, 12 really takes the cake with 100-200 hours, depending on how many sidequests you decide to do.

There's nothing wrong with having a short attention span as a gamer, and more people should feel proud rather than upset.
>>
>>335046689
it was the most rushed "game" with an incomplete story, gameplay that played itself, and a bunch of filler thrown in so that retards like yourself would assume it's something substantial.
>>
>>335045680
Not X-2 for sure, it was like the only fucking time they got ATB right.
And the International features werge great.

>>335046016
>V doesn't exist
"ok"
>>
>>335045680
The one in your picture
>>
>>335046987
You're right, Anon. Final Fantasy 9 is so good that it even just got re-released on multiple digital platforms. A game this good can stand the test of time and surely be an appealing experience to this generation of gamers as well!
>>
>>335046689
It was a highly detailed piece of shit. Gameplay was monotonous and boring, story was Star Wars sans all the fun, and the characters were so mind numbingly dry it made characters from a Michael Mann movie seem interesting and nuanced.

Fuck FFXII. That really was the start of the decline. Not 7.
>>
>>335046713
Mother of Jesus this is the first one I've agreed with 100%.
>>
>>335045680
I'm pretty mysgonist and I still liked X-2 a lot.

It was too easy, but that's about it.
>>
Xlll

Every game before it had something enjoyable about it but 13 is utter garbage.
>>
File: 1451348651547.jpg (1 MB, 1131x1600) Image search: [Google]
1451348651547.jpg
1 MB, 1131x1600
>>335047065
>>335046987
>game that played itself
No, you played it. You programmed the characters to do what you'd tell them to do anyways. And even then, you can at any point control any party member and/or tell a party member what to do at any time.

Also:
>has optional areas related to the plot, such as an explorable Nabudis, despite not being required by the main story
>all those different recruitable optional Espers, some of which are extremely difficult to get to, having one solve many puzzles in order to get to them (the sewers and the one in the sky, for instance)
>all those Hunts, many of which add to the world and/or characters (one quest having you take down a Chubacabra-like creature in Bhujerba. Another having you fight Bgamnan and setting things with Balthier. Another detailing info on Montblanc's life)
>extremely large amounts of detail on how people interact with the creatures of the world and the world even having rare mutations of said creatures
>extremely large amounts of information on how each species live, from how highly revered the Nu Mou are to how the Garif are like Native Americans to how the Viera are like classic elves (along with an explanation of their interaction with the Wood and loss of hearing of the Wood should they abandon the Wood)
>explanations on the class systems through gameplay, where the richer and poorer of Rabanastre live in the higher and lower parts of the city respectively and where there's a Chop system in Archades where the more chops/the types of chops you have determine your class in the city. If you have no Chops at all, you live in Old Archades
I don't know anon. I like the amount of worldbuilding the game has and amount of shit to do in it.

Maybe you two are the retarded ones for thinking its a bad game. You dont' have to like it. But you're wrong if you think its bad.
>>
File: ffxii story.jpg (908 KB, 1293x1728) Image search: [Google]
ffxii story.jpg
908 KB, 1293x1728
>>335047195
>story was Star Wars
Fuck off
>>
X-2 is garbage in terms of the endless Charlie's Angels bullshit, embarrassing excuse for a plot and just for being generally unnecessary and pointless. However one thing it DID prove is that the ATB system is by no means dead - it can be made to feel fast, fluid & modern. Which is why I hate it when retards go "hurr get with the times it's dated blahhhh". No FF since X-2 has actually felt like FF at all, they're just awkward attempts at being 'modern' games and it doesn't fucking work. Find a way to update the ATB system and make it run smoothly. XII's auto-battle macro shit made the entire game pointless, and I don't even know what the fuck XIII was supposed to be.
>>
>>335047858

X-2 > X
Prove me wrong.
>>
>>335047792
>implying I am going to read all that when it's not your original idea

Fuck you, I know what I played. It was a Star Wars game with nothing but politics. Basically, the worst parts of the prequels.
>>
>>335048000
If you value the battle system above all else then I can't, both are 2 of the best in the series as far as I'm concerned but X-2 probably edges out X because it's the best version of the traditional ATB gauge system they ever made.

In terms of story and characters, fuck off.
>>
>>335047724
>Autoplaying yawnfests are fun I swear guys.
>All those arrows pointing to long winded versions of the statement: "This game has mob grinding for content and nothing else."
>Encyclopedia expositional dumps for world building ever being good.
>Especially in light of how piss poor the actual story and character development is.
>But the visual storytelling element in some cities isn't shit! Ignore the giant empty halls and NPCs that say and do literally nothing!

All FFs have fair degrees of worldbuilding. You're fine to like FF12 but pretending it does anything better than its predecessors is just top rank delusion.
>>
>>335048148
>I'm too lazy to read
You're just proving >>335047053 right

Fuck off.
>>
No definitive decline, but FF2 and 6 weren't their brightest moments, FF8 is borderline because if you play it blind and don't know how to break it it's not bad
>>
X. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know shit. That's when it finally felt like a completely different series of games. VII and VIII were total departures but they still had the FF feel to them. X didn't even have the main theme anymore. It wasn't really a bad game, but that's when it stopped being Final Fantasy. XII was a step in the right direction, but XIII threw it in the coffin. XV is gonna be the nail.
>>
>>335047053
It's not about having a short attention span. It's about good pacing and good characters. Neither of which FFXII had. Fuck you in your anus.
>>
>>335048668

> It wasn't really a bad game
You're correct, except for this.
>>
File: 1451349929156.jpg (252 KB, 965x1240) Image search: [Google]
1451349929156.jpg
252 KB, 965x1240
>>335048225
>>Encyclopedia expositional dumps for world building ever being good.
I never said this. In fact most of the worldbuilding I described was done through gameplay and what the game required to you. I'm not even talking about the Bestiary. Including the Bestiary it owerpowers other FF games even more in terms of worldbuilding, especially with regards to the history of the Espers and their rebellion against the Gods. Everything I stated is done through the gameplay yourself.
>piss poor character development
Gabranth goes through constant regret and finally stands up for what he believes to make up for his past crimes against Dalmasca. Larsa learns the truth about his brother and uses his goodwill to turn on him after having spent much time with the main party. Ashe gets over her desire for vengeance with the help of Vaan and decides that rather than seek revenge against Archadia she just wants Dalmasca to be free. Balthier overcomes his qualms with his father Cid and his royal blood with the Empire. Basch redeems himself after a long history of being seen a traitor.

The game did fine in character development.
>>335048696
FFXII had fantastic characters. It was just much more subtle instead of being an animufest.
>>
Settle it in Strawpoll

http://www.strawpoll.me/10009791
>>
X
not debatable
try to prove me wrong, I fucking dare you
>>
>>335048696
12 had pretty good characters aside from vaan penelo and fran
>>
>>335046425
I found out XIII wasn't THAT bad like most people claim. The problem is that the "after 30h" thing is really true, you could clearly see that it was heavily casualized and doesn't catch up until very late in the game.

The best moment in the game is literally after you reach Gran Pulse, when it reminds the classic FF games. It just had an amazing potential that wasn't even 10% explored.
>>
XV will be the FIRST good FF game.
>>
>>335050390
Do you not like turn based games or something?
>>
>>335050568
If he didn't he'd still have Crystal Chronicles, Type 0, Dissidia, and Lightning Returns to like
>>
File: 1451346516267.jpg (114 KB, 952x1240) Image search: [Google]
1451346516267.jpg
114 KB, 952x1240
>>335049459
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuiV6CNpLWU
>>
>>335048225
>autoplaying
not this shit again
Don't use gambits then. Is it fun? Not really huh? It almost like controlling three characters' actions in a space densely populated with mook encounters is fucking retarded or something
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.