[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15
File: OoE.jpg (423 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
OoE.jpg
423 KB, 1920x1080
This game is harder than I expected.
I just arrived to the snow area. And these men in trench coats are kicking my shit in. I feel so weak. Are there any spoiler-free beginner's tips in order to get stronger?

I feel like I'm missing something, because Shanoa is so fragile, and her attacks are so weak. I've been exploring as much as i can. So I don't *think* I'm missing anything. But am I?
>>
Just git gud, there isn't really any tricks to this game other than learn patterns and stuff, which is why I like it so much.
>>
Once you get the ranged homing holy magic, spam that a lot. Until then, there's not really all that much to it besides swapping to weapons the enemies are weak to.

It's just a bit of a slog early on because you die really fast and enemies sponge up a lot of hits.
>>
>>334999508
Swapping glyphs is a pain. I have that thing that lets me swap between sets. But there's something awkward about having to hold A, and press R/L to swap. It was so much easier with the doppleganger soul in Dawn of Sorrow. All you had to do was tap one button to swap between two sets. Instead of trying to think on the fly, while scrolling through 3 sets.
>>
>>334999305
You know monsters have weakness and resistances, right?

You can change monsters stats if you press select.
>>
>>334999867
Yeah, and they try to force this weakness stuff early on a lot, to the point that you don't do ideal damage because you'd have to be pausing and swapping glyphs in your equipment screen then swapping to them in real time.

I didn't really like the game much. Areas were pretty small, there wasn't much in terms of platforms, and it was overwhelmingly nothing but long enemy hallways.
>>
>>335000619
I'm aware.
>>
>>334999867
>Swapping glyphs is a pain.
Only if you are playing on PC.
It take less than 0.5 seconds to get to the set of glyphs you saved in the other slots.
>>
>>334999305
I'm in Dracula's castle myself and am pretty surprised at the challenge, the shadow and horse bosses were just something else.

At least the second game over screen looks great.
>>
>>335001072
I'm playing on PC, but with a gamepad. The rest of my post explains why it's a pain.
>>
>>334999305
What glyphs are you using, anon?
>>
>>335001171
Shadow guy was fun with the laser glyph you get from the skeletons in his own dungeon. Fuck Eligor though, takes me forever but I've probably never learned how to fight it "properly", all I do in that fight is get it to break down, get on its back then hit his eye as many times as I can before it stands up again. If I try staying on its back I get knocked off by some invisible hitbox even if I'm not touching anything other than standing on the back.
>>
>>334999305
Experimenting with glyphs can be pretty helpful. Some of them are much more useful than they may first appear to be.

Getting used to enemy patterns is also helpful as in most games. Those guys attack quickly and hit really hard, but they're also very predictable.

>>335001171
Playing through hard mode with Shanoa's level capped at 1 was a pretty satisfying challenge. I almost wish I could re-experience it for the first time.

Blackmore (the shadow boss) was definitely one of my favorites.
>>
>>335001735
Trying to go no damage Eligor is fucking painful.
>>
File: 1457745306585.png (96 KB, 257x250) Image search: [Google]
1457745306585.png
96 KB, 257x250
>>335001735
Eligor has retarded hitboxes, try getting right onto his butt and crouch when he arches back. Works everytime.

Secare fusion and the likes work wonders on his eye. Also the game never bothers to tell you the eye is weak to slash, so yeah.
>>
>>335001361
Uh, I don't have the game open right now, so I can't tell you the names. But one set is the straight sword glyph, with an axe glyph.
The second set is a hammer glyph with the one glyph that summons light balls.
And third set is again the hammer glyph with the lightning glyph.

The game tells me that increasing my kill count with particular weapons will strengthen them. So far, my strongest weapons are the ones with the attribute represented by a sword icon. But honestly, I'm not sure how effective that system is. Because I farmed a bunch of zombies with my straight sword to increase my kill count, and I'm still dealing the same amount of damage to zombies after about 300 kills.

Anyway, my hammers seem to be weak against some enemies, but strong against others. So i swap out to the hammer when need be. Otherwise, I primarily use the straight sword and axe combo.
>>
>>335002008
There's this trick where you break his first set of kneecaps then use the magnet boomerangs to get on his back.
>>
>>335002318
I just go with lighting attacks for his eye.
And lots of hearts potions and mana potions (iirc, I can kill him really fast like that with two demon rings or something like that)
>>
>>334999305
You know what I really hated? Albus Mode.
I just can't fucking play it because you are forced to play the awful dub.
>>
File: 08e.png (208 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
08e.png
208 KB, 557x605
>>334999305
I fucking LOVE this game
>>
>>335002257
Don't bother grinding weapons unless you want to max out stats, weapon attribute points cap out at 65536 iirc, where you're probably still in the hundreds.

The lower screen can display enemy info (by pressing select i think), check out enemy weaknesses and attack correspondingly.
>>
File: C4_Winged_Skeleton.jpg (9 KB, 148x185) Image search: [Google]
C4_Winged_Skeleton.jpg
9 KB, 148x185
I still think they went way overboard with Hard mode. Touching a fucking Bat/Medusa is instant death because you get juggled and die in 2 hits.

>lel wouldn't it be funny if for Hard mode we tripled the amount of these things
>>
>>335002257
Try using the same glyph on each hand, anon. That way you can combo that glyph if you time each cast well and have a reliable type of damage on each set. Also try and get Vol class of glyphs from enemies.

I personally used confodere for lighting fast slashes, culter for long range, and luminatio on the last set.

That or get both a light and dark glyph on the same set and spam Union. Guaranteed nuke early in game.

>>335002318
That trick was as effective as it was painful to pull off. I lost count how many times I tried.

>>335002448
Try and spam Culter on the eye. It is actually weak to slash.
>>
>>335003006
>Rapidus Fio
>>
File: 1443058446487.png (123 KB, 471x257) Image search: [Google]
1443058446487.png
123 KB, 471x257
>>335003006
>Not using Luminatio properly
>>
>>335003057
>>335003173
>All this endgame shit

I'm talking about the second level. You have axes.
>>
>>335003043
comboing is another pain. The button set-up is the worse. Tapping Y and X back and forth isn't that easy, when the enemies are still doing whatever their attack pattern is, so you have to dance around.

I thought about changing the button set up, so I can combo L and X. But having the backdash assigned to L makes certain that I can backdash more quickly.
>>
>>335003457
>comboing is another pain. The button set-up is the worse
Just because you are not playing on a DS.
>>
>>335003549
What's the difference? I'm using a gamepad with traditional button placement. I have the buttons assigned the same as a DS.
>>
>>335003650
There is a lot of difference.
Size, weight, how close or how far the buttons are between them and so on.

You can use "the button set-up is bad" when you are not playing the game with the intended device.

I'm talking here with experience since I played this one on PC first too years ago.
>>
File: 1442597705548.png (562 KB, 463x634) Image search: [Google]
1442597705548.png
562 KB, 463x634
>>335001209
>Playing on an emulator and complaining about the key combination
>On an emulator that doesn't use all the buttons on your joypad
>Being this fucking lazy that you don't get xpadder or something similar to program the skillset changing combination into one button
For fucks sake
>>
>>335003650
Not him, but I played on the DS and found comboing to be instantly intuitive. It also didn't take a whole lot of practice before I could cycle weapon sets as needed near-instantly.

The DS is a bit different from a gamepad, and it's what the game was designed around. It's not unthinkable that this could be causing some issues.
>>
>>335003384
>Endgame shit
You find Luminatio right after the CRAB BATTLE, fampai. You can get it on your first playthrough.

>>335003457
That explains a lot. Comboing brings out the true damage potential of the glyphs. Try and find a button setup that allows combos comfortably.
>>
>>335004209
Even the game have a very customizable button configuration
>>
OoE was simultaneously great and disappointing.
>Linear levels
>Amazing castle and fun bonus dungeons
>Enemies are mediocre
>Bosses are great
>Half of glyphs are slightly altered melee weapons
>Glyph combos are neat
I'm still mad about going back to that glyph you couldn't access early on and getting it only to discover it's fucking worthless. Except that one time I fought Dracula with it for shits and giggles.
>>
>>334999305
I wish they'd make more games like this. Bloodstained can't come soon enough.
>>
>>335004537

So worried that game's visuals/atmosphere are going to be shit

But what we've seen is pretty early builds. Keeping fingers crossed. I know it won't be a beautiful as OoE, but a man can dream.
>>
>>335002798
yeah Albus mode was bad implemented, the gun attack was awful, I would prefer a slow shoting speed like in Aria of sorrow, and you can beat any boss with the fire kick, Albus mode was broken.
>>
File: OoE_04.jpg (40 KB, 288x217) Image search: [Google]
OoE_04.jpg
40 KB, 288x217
>>335002798
Albus is pretty fucking fun to play, so much one forgets about the hideous dub.

>>335004536
>glyph you couldn't access early on
>fucking worthless

Which one? Cubus?
>>
>>335004936
The one that makes you shit out a small grey stone, I think was cubus.
>>
>>335003923
How much of a difference can there be between a standard gamepad, and the DS button placement? So because the buttons are off by 1/100th of a millimeter, that's going to change my experience that drastically? It's just tapping one button than the other.

>>335004209
>Being this fucking lazy that you don't get xpadder or something similar to program the skillset changing combination into one button
>Cheating
No thanks.

>>335004232
>The DS is a bit different from a gamepad, and it's what the game was designed around. It's not unthinkable that this could be causing some issues.
Then what is it? What's the difference? Can you articulate it? No? Do you know how my gamepad compares to the DS? No? Then stop trying to deflect blame from the game.

>>335004347
>Comboing brings out the true damage potential of the glyphs.
Because I attack faster? Or does damage increase?
>>
>>335004936
>Albus is pretty fucking fun to play, so much one forgets about the hideous dub.
I just wanted to have his japanese mad laugh while playing.
>>
>>335005105
>>Being this fucking lazy that you don't get xpadder or something similar to program the skillset changing combination into one button
>>Cheating
>No thanks.
>How much of a difference can there be between a standard gamepad, and the DS button placement?
>Then what is it? What's the difference? Can you articulate it? No? Do you know how my gamepad compares to the DS? No? Then stop trying to deflect blame from the game.

You are never going to understand anon. It's no use to replying to you at this point. I'm just doing this last one out of courtesy.
Being stubborn and stupid is not going to help you in your life.
>>
>>335005105
>not using left trigger and a button for comboing
and yes, you can hit an enemy repeatedly so you cause more damage
>>
File: 1424587251576.png (97 KB, 298x261) Image search: [Google]
1424587251576.png
97 KB, 298x261
>>335004985
It made enemies into stone, yeah, but it was kinda retarded to use. Still wanted that 100% though.

>>335005105
Basically because you keep a steady flow of damage on your target when you combo it correctly. There are glyphs that can't be spammed or else you get only 2 hits and a long recovery time, like Ignis.

But mixing and matching stuff gives nice Unions as well, so go nuts. I'm just talking from personal preference.

>>335005309
Fair enough, anon. All we got was OPTICAL SHOT.
>>
>>335005528
>>not using left trigger and a button for comboing
I said I was thinking about doing exactly that. You could have simply told me it was a good idea.

>and yes, you can hit an enemy repeatedly so you cause more damage
No shit, hitting things more does more damage. But is it worth hitting enemies slightly faster in a combo? That's what I'm curious about. Because it seems to me, that the rate of damage a combo can do, isn't much greater than just attacking normally.

>>335005772
>Basically because you keep a steady flow of damage on your target when you combo it correctly.
How do you get a steady flow, when enemies are constantly moving and attacking? That never seems to work out. I get like 2, maybe 3 hits. Because I have to dodge whatever bullshit the enemy is doing.
>>
I didn't even play this game, but I'll be damned if this shanoa chick isn't the classiest woman in vidya

muh dick
>>
>>335006137
>Enemies are constantly moving and attacking
Ranged glyphs, anon. Culter is your best friend early on until you find better projectiles.

>>335006228
You have good tastes, my fellow brother of African descent.
>>
>>335003006
Don't you get to keep most of your stuff for the first hard mode round? This only seems like a valid complaint on new game.
>>
>>335006686
You keep everything but plot related stuff. That faggot didn't bother getting the basics to survive hard mode.
>>
any love for nun-shanoa? Really liked both desings
>>
>>335007184
delete this comment
>>
>>335007184
Nun Shanoa was mediocre at best, but it was better than no Shanoa at all. Nothing beats that delicious long hair, too bad it's horribly hard to animate in 3D
>>
>>335007184
I like her, anon, I really do. But her existence just meant no original outfit and I'm still mad about it.
>>
Ok then...
>>
>>335006228
>shanoa chick isn't the classiest woman in vidya
>tfw Nintendo can't make Samus like Shanoa. A classy woman that is also hot as fuck
>>
>>334999305
>Playing games with female protags
How does it feel to be a eunuch?
>>
>>335009307
>>>/pol/
>>
>>335009347
Women are have no place in the protag slot in action games
>>
>>335010081
Thanks for the bump Fedora-kun
>>
>>335010554
They especially don't have a place in gothic action games either beyond 'kidnapped victim"
>>
>>335010081
All protagonists should be women so I have eyecandy to look at while playing. Self inserting is for beta faggots.
>>
File: Albus.png (396 KB, 573x1023) Image search: [Google]
Albus.png
396 KB, 573x1023
>>335002798
CAN'T HIT ME
>>
>>335011532
You can self insert as a girl too. Use your imagination.
>>
>>335011532
>having such a poor self-image that you find self inserting unappealing
But I'm the beta faggot, got it.
>>
>>335004536
Personally, the glyph unions were both amazing and also disappointing. I wanted there to be more, at least different element+weapon unions.
>>
>>335012756
there are some unions like the ice and fire and the light and darkness that have diferent effects combined.
>>
>>335013631
Yeah but, why couldn't we get unions for the 'alternate' glyphs like the cubes or the cerberus ones. There where several times where I got this cool new glyph, I went for the union and it whiffed and I go 'oh well'. Seemed like a wasted opportunity.
>>
how does this compare castlevania portrait of ruin?

its my first castlevania and i like it a lot
>>
>>335004985
>Cubus is worthless
Cubus might as well instantly kill any enemy that can be petrified
>>
File: Shanoa.png (645 KB, 800x1250) Image search: [Google]
Shanoa.png
645 KB, 800x1250
Best female design in any Castlvania.
>>
File: 1458509148105.jpg (82 KB, 581x557) Image search: [Google]
1458509148105.jpg
82 KB, 581x557
>>335015785
Personally, I like Portrait of Ruin more. Order of Ecclesia is a fucking fantastic game, and if you like PoR, you will like OoE, I think.

However, what I didn't like about OoE were a few things
>glyphs
This is a love/hate relationship. Combat is really fun comboing two different glyphs, but the glyph system pretty much took out one of my favorite parts about the metroidvania games, that being tons of different weapons. There are still a lot of weapons overall in OoE, but you have like, sword 1, sword 2, sword 3, lance 1, lance 2, lance 3 etc. It gets the job done, but I just like the variety in weapon designs and names in the other games more. Not to mention you rarely just straight up find glyphs like you would weapons in the other games.

>Pretty linear for the most part
I think a lot of people agree with this. It by no means ruins the game, but it's slightly disappointing.

>Difficulty
Let me explain this one. The first time I played OoE, I was not expecting an actual difficult game coming off of Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin. And the annoying part to me was how valuable potions and other healing items were. I guess this kind of shows that I relied on healing items a lot in the older games but hey Dawn of Sorrow is like, 10 years old now, but it's just something you have to accommodate to. And once you do, you appreciate it.

Really minor things overall, although the first point gets me the most out of anything.
>>
File: GIANT_ENEMY_CRAB_by_michaleon.jpg (40 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
GIANT_ENEMY_CRAB_by_michaleon.jpg
40 KB, 640x480
>>
Blackmore took me like fifty goddamned tries. Fuck that cocksucker.

Wallman was hilarious though.
>>
>>335021496
My biggest issue was the Centaur in the lvl 1 run.
>>
>>335017254
>Best female design in any *fantasy setting.
FTFY
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.