[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me why this game's bad. Triggerbabies need not apply.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12
File: Chono-cross-PSX.jpg (250 KB, 1191x1191) Image search: [Google]
Chono-cross-PSX.jpg
250 KB, 1191x1191
Tell me why this game's bad. Triggerbabies need not apply.
>>
>>334999143
Its not. Its a wonderful game and one of my favorites.
>>
>>334999143
Nobody actually thinks it's bad. It's just whiny nintendrones who are butthurt that never got to play it.
>>
>>334999143
It's not Trigger but I sure am
>>
File: b88.png (177 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
b88.png
177 KB, 557x605
>>334999143
I could listen to that intro music all day long...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923fVDDwaHo
>>
File: best girl.jpg (1021 KB, 733x1000) Image search: [Google]
best girl.jpg
1021 KB, 733x1000
Why is she so perfect?
>>
>>334999143
My ONLY complaint is they did not create enough double and tripple techs.

Also that fargo is unquestionably better than kid at the same role.

I like cross better than trigger in the end. The atmosphere and music bro, cannot be beat.
>>
Well, people who say it's bad didn't play Radical Dreamers before playing Cross.
>>
It's not a bad game, but it had a few places where it could be improved. Aside from stats, most characters were mechanically interchangeable. There were honestly way too many, besides. Certain plot points should have been explained a bit better (like what happens with Harle and the dragons -- nobody could really infer Harle merged with the Dragon God).
>>
>>334999143
It's great as a standalone title.

It's shit as a sequel to ct.

Any claims to the contrary are just that: contrarian.
>>
File: 1446325784393.png (3 KB, 142x138) Image search: [Google]
1446325784393.png
3 KB, 142x138
>>334999143
I've tried to finish this game since 2011 and I can't bring myself to finish it because I just don't have fun with it at all
Aside from the soundtrack I can't think of anything I enjoy about this game
>>
File: 1460184747461.jpg (111 KB, 900x690) Image search: [Google]
1460184747461.jpg
111 KB, 900x690
>>334999143
I can't save harle
>>
File: why is she so perfect.gif (694 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
why is she so perfect.gif
694 KB, 500x375
>>335002225
>>
>>335002376
you can see in this gif how some 3d psx games look like everything is made of jello, is there a way to avoid this on emulators?
>>
>>334999143
I can say why, but lets be honest here. You don't want to know why, you already have your mind made up and just want the inevitable shitflinging to occur in these threads.
>>
File: 1460188785039.jpg (75 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1460188785039.jpg
75 KB, 500x500
It's a Square Soft game
>>
>>334999143
>tell me why thing is bad
>people who don't like thing need not apply
Okkkayyyyyy then.
>>
>>334999143

Game is insanely hard though.
>>
File: jared.jpg (9 KB, 211x188) Image search: [Google]
jared.jpg
9 KB, 211x188
Radical dreamers had a better story as a sequel than CC did. And that's pretty sad.
>>
File: chrono-cross-0036.jpg (102 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
chrono-cross-0036.jpg
102 KB, 800x600
>>334999143

Because if it came out today you'd all place it int he same tier as Undertale without the: "it's actually good so I'm going to shitpost about it" part.

>Bloated cast
>Shitty combat system easily gamed by bosses for artificial difficulty
>Retarded as fuck plot (excluding what happens to the CT cast)
>Retarded as fuck plot (including what happens to the CT cast. they literally have to kill beloved characters just to get you remembering SOMETHING about the plot. fuck your edgelord snowflake outlook)
>Entire story gets retconned by a line of dialog in the ending
>Rehashed Radical Dreamers to fit a publisher mandate making it an unguided spinoff
>Linear theme and setting
>Terrible itemization made even worse by endgame
>Garbage magic system crutched entirely by the terrible affinity system
>Out of place tie-ins with the original

And lastly
>Not a Chrono Trigger sequel

Still only the 5th worst PSX RPG. That's not bad considering the gen's track record.
>>
the female lead is really shit/non-factor for 99% of the game.
>>
>>334999143
> people who played game that came before it need not apply
Thats dumb, we can't judge a game in the "chrono" franchise on the merits if the game its suppossed to follow up?

It would be fine if it wasn't its own game, but it didn't feel like it was a part of triggers universe
>>
>>335006568
*was its own game
>>
Final boss wasn't even a fucking boss.
It was a rhythm spell game to free Schala and was fucking annoying since the boss would cast spells all the time and fuck up the rhythm.
>>
>>335006771

>bein a tard who don't know how the combat system works

you prolly think casting a spell takes 7 units of time as well.
>>
File: gorgeous.png (515 KB, 1382x741) Image search: [Google]
gorgeous.png
515 KB, 1382x741
It's beautiful game in terms of visuals and music. On one hand, the plot and overall theme(s) are more mature and meaningful than Trigger's, however on the other...it all feels like a small creek that floods into a scale, larger than Lavos and Time Portals.

The gameplay would be serviceable but yes, the neat "huge roster of recruitable playable characters" took SO much away from more compelling and interesting character development. That and the constant battling would've been so much more enjoyable with say, a lot more mechanics and abilities based around say a party 1/3 the size.

I'm sure people can find a way to hate it, but seriously, everything here in the ending (after using the Chrono Cross) stands as one of the most profoundly touching things I've ever experienced in a game.

https://youtu.be/D2AVskd5r3A?t=4m5s
>>
>>335006860
>Shitty gimmick of a final boss
>Hurr durr you are a fucking idiot who cannot combat
Fuck up faggot the game sucked ass and the final boss was fucking joke.
>>
>>335006962

This is probably my top thing watched whenever I'm on an early AM solo mind-bender.
>>
File: vol2-main5.jpg (46 KB, 441x271) Image search: [Google]
vol2-main5.jpg
46 KB, 441x271
>>335006990

>I act angry and say the dumbest shit, because someone else appreciates things that I can't or won't (for my own amusement)
>>
>>334999143
It's great. My favorite Square game really.
>>
>>334999143
If it is bad it's because the character development was lacking, the combat was too easy, and there were tons of references in the translated version that we missed because of a Jap-only sequel that came before this but after CT to that weird ass satellite system that nobody even bought.
Difficulty mod "time's anguish" fixes one of those things though!
>>
>>335000013
I've never played Radical Dreamers and I still think its a great game and a pretty decent sequel.

Niggas just upset it wasn't Chrono Trigger 2.
>>
>>334999143
It's the same as the Majora's Mask to Ocarina of Time debate.
>>
>>335005993
>Shitty combat system easily gamed by bosses for artificial difficulty
>Garbage magic system crutched entirely by the terrible affinity system
Hold the fuck up, the battle system was AMAZING compared to all the literal copy&paste final fantasy clones.
>Retarded as fuck plot (excluding what happens to the CT cast)
>Not a Chrono Trigger sequel
Ayyyy found the "This wasn't Chrono Trigger 2 REEEEE" baby.
>Linear theme and setting
Hello welcome to that era of RPG
>Terrible itemization made even worse by endgame
You're gonna have to explain this one, or are you upset at rainbow shell hunting?
>>
>>334999143

>Terrible battle system with one of the worst character progression ever. only way to get stronger realiably is after a story boss so you always end more or less just as strong at a point in the story no matter what you do.
>Pointlessly large cast of playable characters that are not only ridiculous and stupid for the most part, but are not even that different from each other aside their innate color and 2 or 3 skills that for the most part are just glorified versions of things you can do with a normal element anyway. And their only characterization is done thru an automatic accent generator, way to go.
>Convoluted plot that retcons a ton of stuff from Trigger to even make sense. Humans already being fully evolved before Lavos even landed on Earth. People from the ruined future being shown being alive and living in the fixed future, etc.
>Probably one of the worst uses of a silent protagonist ever. In Trigger, Crono was just a dude with not really much relevancy to what happens in the plot, in Cross, Serge is the center of the goddamn universe, tons of important details about the story circle around him and theres a huge arc about his identity and shit, the fact that he is silent is nonsense and its only that way as a callback to Trigger having a silent protagonist.
>Poshul
>Heavy handed message that "Humans are destroyers of the planet just like Lavos" that on top of being so forced it makes no sense if you take into account that the entire place the story takes place in is man made, and that we see the human cities that are in there are very in tune with the nature around them.
>Poshul
>Terrible "true" ending that doesnt even follow the game's own rules for time travel.

To me this was clearly another game that they slapped the Chrono name in and then bulshited connections with Trigger halfway thru. You may think that sounds retarded, but remember, Freaking Xenogears was almost Chrono Trigger 2.
>>
To this day, I still couldnt understand Chrono Cross' story. Enlighten me, fellow anon
>>
>>334999143
stale b8
>>
>>335011034
Well its very simple anon!

Remember Schala from Chrono Trigger? well the entire plot is that one dude named Belthasar wants to rescue her from Time Hell, but turns out Schala became such a huge bitch her hate for ALL EXISTANCE merged her with Lavos' corpse and they became a being capable of devouring all time-space forever.

But thankfully Gary St- I mean! Serge was one day attacked by a panther when he was a child and his cries somehow reached Schala in TIME HELL and since Serge is the hottest badass even as a child caused Schala to orgasm so hard she caused a TIME STORM and gave birth to a TIME CLONE of herself, this caused a FUTURE CITY that was created by belthasar and was sent to the past (also part of belthasar) plan to malfunction and allow Serge's dad and friend to enter it and then Serge became Jesus.

After that Schala's time clone at some point in the future traveled to the past to save Serge from drowning because Serge is just so hot so we cant let him die, can we?

This change, instead of sending the timeline where Serge did drown to hell like the game implies happens when you change the past, instead created 2 parallel timelines, which also the game says it cant happen because HOW DARE YOU SAVE THE FUTURE IN CHRONO TRIGGER YOU ASSHOLE!

But anyway, back to FUTURE CITY, now the PLANET hates humans SO MUCH it countered FUTURE CITY appearing in the past by summoning a Reptite city from an alternate timeline (which by Cross' retarder time travel rules should not even exist...) where Lavos didnt land on earth to counter it. Remember the reptites? Yeah we are suposed to believe now that they were this noble race of LEGITIMATE INHERITORS OF THE LAND that were in tune with the planet unlike horrible parasitic humans, yeah! those genocidal assholes that ran around burning forests in Trigger are now the most noble of noble.

All this of course was part of Belthasar plan and.. woops post too long! can't continue!
>>
File: Confused uther.jpg (53 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
Confused uther.jpg
53 KB, 300x256
>>335010386
>Ayyyy found the "This wasn't Chrono Trigger 2 REEEEE" baby.
I've never played Cross, how is "It isn't like the excellent first game" not a valid point.

Does it do it's own thing differently and well enough that comparing them is not as easy as it appears?
>>
>>335012385
The problem is that Chrono Cross cant be judged on his own because in the last hour of the game they drop on you a gigantic plot dump about what the heck is happening in the plot.

If you didnt play Trigger that plot dump would leave you angry and confused because the game expects you to know a lot about the events and characters of trigger (that until that point the game very vaguely references outside one very heavy handed dramatic scene which you cant properly understand anyway if you didnt played the first game) to even understand what's going on and if you DID play Trigger that plot dump would lave you angry because you know its pure nonsense and shits all over the first game. On top of being filled with retcons to even work at all.

Chrono Cross as a game its "Okay" I mean it has no horrible glitches and has good music and visuals, but it fails both as an standalone story and as a sequel.
>>
>>335012385
>I've never played Cross
>Here are all my opinions about how the game mechanics and story are SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT
Alright, buddy.

In the off-chance you're someone completely different, its the Bomberman 64 to every previous entry.
>>
>>335013194
>Here are all my opinions about how the game mechanics and story are SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT
I never mentioned anything like that though, you dumb faggot. I just asked a fucking question.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.