[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what if the n64 used discs instead of cartridges? what would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: you will never be this happy.jpg (70 KB, 492x700) Image search: [Google]
you will never be this happy.jpg
70 KB, 492x700
what if the n64 used discs instead of cartridges? what would have changed?
>>
nothing
>>
Cheaper games, longer load times, probably would have been the main platform for Resident Evil and Final Fantasy
>>
>>334997786
Longer load times.
Probably way less n64 games at pawn shops.
>>
>>334997786

FFVII
>>
Reply to this post if you're not gay.
>>
his pajamas really bug me
>>
>>334997786
more multi plays probably
>>
>>334997875
i dont think you realize how much third party developers nintendo pissed off when they stuck with cartridges
>>
>Loading screens everywhere
>Cheaper games after market because pirating would be easier
>Less original games alive today because discs scratch easy
>Possible larger and longer games due to cd size > cartridge
>More games because production costs cheaper
>Cut scenes, videos and movies

Bout all i can think of. It would have been better over all but it would have downsides too that probably escape me.
>>
>>334997786
>you will never be this happy

I had that moment as a kid. Except it wasn't N64, it was SNES.
>>
>>334997786
There wouldn't be a point to the N64 because the texture filtering was something that could only work with cartridges, if they used CDs the textures would wobble horribly just like a PS1 game, also, load times, maybe some third party games, but what the hell did games like FF7 brought to the table other than FMVs integrating with the gameplay and MGS's endless rambles through the codec
>>
>>334997786
Not much. Sony would have still given third parties more freedom, and incentives to create the games on the PS1.

Imagine Enix pitching FFVII
>"Nintendo we will release game on your console"
>"Okay, go ahead. We will probably censor anything questionable"

>"Sony, we want to release our game on your console"
>"Great, we'll spend double the amount of the games cost on advertising, you can keep the game exactly like you want,"

Sony just did a much better job during the PS1/2 era at bending to third parties to sell their games, pretending the game is exclusive. People often forget MGS1 and 2 were not exclusive at the time to Sony, but their deal with Konami would make it appear that way. Same strategy MS used with CoD during the 360 era, and current strategy of PS4 with games like Destiny.

Cartridges are better then CD in all areas, except storage space and price. There's a good reason Sony switched to catridges/memory cards for the Vita after the PSP.
>>
>>334998430
Also don't misunderstand what I said as Nintendo bashing or anything, I liked the 64 over the PS1. But I just say it like it is, I had both at the time anyway. Idort for life.
>>
>>334997786
The discs would all be scratched to shit by the nintenyearolds who used them in the 90s and very few would survive today. Honestly it is better for current collectors that they went with such a durable format.
>>
stop and swap would actually work
>>
>>334998151
The N64 would become much more expensive as all the hardware would have to be in the system rather than part of it being in the cart.
The larger price point (likely $300 or greater) for the initial purchase would put many more people off when the PS1 ($299 at launch, possibly cheaper by the time N64 was out) already had established such a strong foothold.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.