[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin is a better game than
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 26
File: header.jpg (35 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
35 KB, 460x215
Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin is a better game than Dark Souls 3.

Prove me wrong.
>>
No. I agree with you.
>>
File: 1456267237542.jpg (96 KB, 485x490) Image search: [Google]
1456267237542.jpg
96 KB, 485x490
Are you retarded ? anything is better than dark souls 2
>>
>>334993512
I just beat that game yesterday and no
>>
>>334993639

Thanks. I'm glad someone actually agrees. I enjoyed my first play through of DS3 but that was it. The game simply has little to no replay value.

>>334993698

What a sound argument mate.
>>
I can't.
>no real way to cheese it, every build is about equal in strength, unlike Dark Souls 3 and its great chaos fire orb + dark sword
>tons of build variety, unlike Dark Souls 3 and its refined 40/40 dark sword / estoc
>pvp is the best in the series in both invasions and duels
>best game balance overall
>fun and interesting spells that aren't overpowered
>highly varied weapons, and the unique ones are really unique
>>
>>334993512
I liked 3 more and you are dumb. What response do you have.
>>
>>334994197

You should read the guys post above you. He summed it up pretty well.
>>
>>334993512
No fucking shit it was. It was free of Miyazaki's influence. In case people have really short term memories, he was responsible for the abomination that was Armored Core 4. Is it really a surprise that he's not very good at the whole "Demon/Dark Souls/Bloodborne" thing? Dark Souls 2 is literally the best game in the 'saga'. I hope we get another game like it.
>>
File: 1297019606623.png (4 KB, 303x243) Image search: [Google]
1297019606623.png
4 KB, 303x243
Dark Souls 2 had more enjoyable PvP, more build variety, and was a longer game with more varied environments

Dark Souls 3 has a better atmosphere & connected world design, more unique bosses, and less annoying gameplay mechanics like enemy swivel tracking.

It really depends what's important to you.

The conclusion we draw? Dark Souls 1 was the best of the trilogy.
>>
>dark souls 2
>better than anything
>>
>>334994173
>>no real way to cheese it, every build is about equal in strength, unlike Dark Souls 3 and its great chaos fire orb + dark sword
Everything being shit is sure everything being equal, but it doesn't make it good.
>>tons of build variety, unlike Dark Souls 3 and its refined 40/40 dark sword / estoc
This is just bullcrap. Also point 1 stands here too.
>>pvp is the best in the series in both invasions and duels
Is that the PvP that was build around the soul memory that everyone loved so much?
>>best game balance overall
Everything being equally not fun is shitty way of balancing things.
>>fun and interesting spells that aren't overpowered
Ok, I'm honest, this could be, haven't touched magic in DS2 at all. But looking at the spell lists, it looks to be same shit as always.
>>highly varied weapons, and the unique ones are really unique
I don't have numbers and by those 2 might have the edge, but I laugh at you if you claim that DS3 doesn't have it's fair share of cool shit in weapon form.

Also that list ignores lots of really important shit, like the part where DS 3 has better area design, encounter design and on average better bosses.
Also less outright broken hitboxes so you don't need to play the game naked and you still can dodge things.
>>
>>334993512
Cant to be honest OP.

DaS2 had a lot wrong but DaS3 doesnt feel like a souls game .

>Boring areas
>SEVERE LACK OF WEAPONS QUALITY.
>Uninspired mobs

Its not a bad game just a really bad souls game right next to DaS2.
>>
>>334996207
>I-it's shit!!!
Nice reasoning.
>>
>>334996207
name 3 cool new weapons in dark souls 3
>>
Replaying Dark Souls 2 after not getting past Drangleic Castle when it was released and I'm really enjoying the back half of the game. I bought into the "dark souls 2 is bad" meme and dropped it too early.

Everything I've done since Draingleic castle has felt like classic souls to me. The first DLC, however, is just mediocre so far, but I haven't even hit a boss yet.
>>
>>334993512
Considering how much more PvP oriented DS2 was compared to DS1 soul mempry was one of the biggest flaws ever in the series. It basically punished you for doing anything with your souls other than invest them in your character or equipment.
Wanna buy some arrows or some items you may need? Punished
What about that cool armor, or a weapon? Puished
Forget about buying stuff, what about not being able to recover your lost souls? Punished.

Now, things like level design may not be as important for some, but they do brak immersion greatly, specially in a game where atmosphere is so fucking important. I mean, a lava castle om top of an elevator, uh ok but, wasn't that elevator also on top of a castle?

What about the mobs that agro at the slightest provocation? Or even better, the annoying mob bosses. Or what about having a status effect that can't be cured with anything? Yeah, remember toxic from the last game? what about removing the items that cure that shit? Perfect!

Sorry, but while DS2 did some things right it also fucked up a lot of things. It is by no means a bad game, but isn't really that good either.
>>
>>334996831
Soul memory was only an issue if you stopped leveling, in which case you were retarded.
>>
>>334993512
prove yourself right you faggot dumbass
>>
>>334996831
SM only sucked if you wanted online play, i.e. if you were an autist

DS2 had the greatest build variety for weapons and armor. DaS3's build balance is absolutely horrid, and I have zero desire to replay it after beating it

That being said, DaS3 has much better level design and overall aesthetics than DaS2

DaS3 has a better first playthrough
DaS2 has more replayability
>>
>>334996930
I just hit 105 in DaS2 and I stopped leveling. I just dump my souls into health gems and arrows. I don't want to be overleveled for the good boss fights. I fucked up in Dark Souls 1 by over leveling and I ended up destroying almost every boss past O&S in 5-8 hits. I'm also going through the DLC which I'm sure will give me a shitload of unnecessary levels.
>>
Dark Souls 2 is frontloaded with a bunch of shit but the back half is pretty fucking good. Definitely on par with Dark Souls 1.

Haven't played 3 yet.
>>
>>334996930
SM was also never an issue if you took 30 seconds to figure out how to backup saves.
>>
>>334996831
I know this shit sounds crazy, but DaS2 PvP is pretty much the same as if there wasn't Soul Memory. Only difference is that everybody has access to the same things, and because the game has good weapon balance there's no "strongest" combo or anything like that. It's just use what you wanna use.

I PvP on PS3 in the upper SM tiers, toon's level is 568 or something like that. It's pretty damn fun.
>>
What does soul memory do?

I don't play PvP. I just got past the Smelter Demon
>>
How do I play DSII on PC with a controller?
All I have is a Logitech controller, but x360ce messes up the right analog stick so I have no camera control
>>
File: 1371429240473.jpg (97 KB, 640x498) Image search: [Google]
1371429240473.jpg
97 KB, 640x498
I enjoy all the souls games about the same amount
>>
>>334996365
Are you actually fucking retarded?

Like, holy shit, are you literally, not just using that word for shits, LITERALLY, a fucking actual autist?

Do your parents love you?

Are you beaten daily?

Did Uncle Pete rape you at age 11?

You are mentally handicapped, and your opinion is fucking stupid. I actually had to take time out of my day to read this stupid fucking post.

I too, feel legitimately handicapped reading this poorly structured response. Like, shit, you are fucking so dumb, your parents probably regret having such a fucking failure of a chlid.

You need to kill yourself, the world cannot cope with someone of your stupidity.

I hate you, and you should hate you.

Now fuck off.
>>
>>334993512
Wait a minute, is this a new meme? /v/ has always shitted on 2, now you're nostalgic for it. You're all fucking autists, 3 was a big step up.
>>
>>334997485
Soul Memory is the number that the game uses to match you with other players in co-op or PvP. Unless you want to sacrifice all your Souls and a ring slot, it will always be increasing.
>>
>>334997771
>/v/ has always shitted on 2

no anon, that is the meme
>>
>>334997771
It's literally one guy on a site with tens of thousands of users
>>
>>334995593
>trilogy

kill yourself
>>
>>334997798
Ah, so it doesn't affect me. Thanks.
>>
>>334996808

the first dlc is wildly considered to be some of the shittiest content in all of souls
>>
>>334997845
no anon, you are the meme

>>334997919
>Dark Souls
>Dark Souls II
>Dark Souls III
are we missing something here
>>
>>334997771
Shit on the newest game and praise the last game before it is the oldest meme.
>>
>>334997771
I'm not a memetard, I'm just replaying 2 and realizing that it has some really bad areas upfront but the backhalf of the game is pretty fucking good.

Everything prior to Drangleic castle felt like generic shit, but a lot of areas I'm in now are unique.

I haven't played 3 yet.
>>
>>334997934
It completely ruins multiplayer though, for anyone who doesn't want to play at the max tier full of people who are level 500.
>>
>>334997976
but im milhouse
>>
>>334994173
taking the bait

>no way to cheese it
oh seems like you weren't araound day 1 of das2.
lightning spears and especially hexes were OP af and made the game easy mode. wait for patches you illiterate nigger because you're wrong as it stands

>tons of build variety
because you already tried everything or you have some statistics over what builds are used besides your anecdotal evidence?

>muh pee ve pee
fuck off

>best game balance
nerfing everything to the ground is a shit way of balancing, also the sheer mass of "different" weapons produce a whole lot of shit weapons that are outclassed by the best of it's type

>spells
it's a melee game you mong

>highly varied weapons
yeah I love those two movesets shared by all of the weapons. literally the same applies to das3. literally.
>>
>>334997935
Really? I heard all 3 are great.
>>
>>334998084
what

>>334998127
The first was rather annoying in some places, but anon is an asshat for saying it's "widely considered" anything. He maybe heard three or four people who didn't like it.
>>
>>334996791
Demon's Fist
Pontiff Scimmy
Swordspear
>>
File: 1372369870080.jpg (36 KB, 353x334) Image search: [Google]
1372369870080.jpg
36 KB, 353x334
>>334998234
>what
>>
>>334998109
>>spells
>it's a melee game you mong
Oh, so it's a bait-off is it?
>>
The actual truth is that DaS2 is a good game that is considered shit here for some unknown reason, yet DaS3 is still far better
>>
>>334993738
There wasn't an argument for it in the first place.
>>
I wish dark souls 3 had a pvp arena
>>
>>334998234

>some of the shittiest enemy placement in the game with copypasted enemies throughout
>terrible level design
>an entire room full of those bullshit spitting totems from the gutter, but even worse
>the first boss is literally just nashandra that summons a boss also fought before
>the second boss is just a gank squad of 3 npcs
>the third boss is a dragon that has the exact same moveset as the royal rat authority

its absolute trash
>>
>>334997771
They're just baiting.
some just because but I think most just had a hard time with DaS3 and now feel the need to shit on it.

And there's the guys who now have it on paper that DaS2 will always be the crippled child in the souls family.

DaS3 takes the best of all games and even refines it.
The boss design was original as fuck by thr way and I was imptessed that they could still surprise me.

Even the last boss was a surprise.
>>
>>334998579
I wish dark souls 3 had a blue eye orb. Without that the blue sents and darkmoon blade covenant are for the most part dead.
>>
>>334998302
But it is. Bosses are designed to be fought melee.

That's why ranged felt like cheesing in DaS1/2. Now they finally nerfed it and mage shitters need to git gud.
>>
>>334998309
There was a dedicated shitpost brigade for DaS2 when it came out. You couple that with some of the bad shit in DaS and you get the perception that /v/ hated it, when most of /v/ liked it but was disappointed.

Same thing is happening to DaS3 except DaS can't be shitposted because it's really fucking good.
>>
>>334998842
>except DaS can't be shitposted

i mean there is a shit load to complain about in dark souls 1, but no one will because of the heavy nostalgia surrounding it.
>>
>>334998584
>>the second boss is just a gank squad of 3 npcs
this has to be a lie
>>
File: dksreviews.png (220 KB, 488x1146) Image search: [Google]
dksreviews.png
220 KB, 488x1146
>>334993512
Your right DS2 is better than DS1.5
>>
>>334998979
its a tiny side area meant for co-oping. its not very good but its so small and out of the way that its not even worth talking about. you dont even have to go through it to get the rewards.
>>
>>334998309
It's because DS 2 is basically the weakest souls game, and in /v/ you can't have things in moderation.
If game is weakest of it's series, it means it's irredeemable shit.
>>
>>334999163
its actually the best, thats why it gets shit posted about so much
>>
>>334999030
DaS3 has a lower score because Polygon gave it 7/10
these threads are literally made by Polygon writers
>>
Agility stat.
Soul memory.
Those 2 completely ruin the game.
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 300x168
How the fuck does DeS2 even fit in with 3 lore wise?

3 follows a "link the fire" path from 1, so is all of 2 just a hypothetical if "age of man and darkness" end happened in 1? Is it out of continuity?
>>
>>334998969
Sorry, I mean DaS3 can't be shitposted.
>>
>>334999410
None of the endings in 1 or 2 have any consequence because no matter what you do someone else links the fire in your stead.
>>
About to play DS1 on PC, do I use DSFix or just play natively with AA?
>>
>>334999410

dark souls 2 takes place aeons ahead of 3

there is just a never ending cycle that is impossible to break out of, that cycle being the age of fire and the age of dark

the whole point of 2 is finding a way to break out of that cycle
>>
>>334999410
Nothing matters because

>lol multiple universes
>>
>>334998127
They are, but this /v/.
>>
File: 1361445420712.png (66 KB, 295x341) Image search: [Google]
1361445420712.png
66 KB, 295x341
>>334999626
>dark souls 2 takes place aeons ahead of 3
>>
>>334998109
>day 1 of das2
This is irrelevant. Do you take points away from DaS1 for allowing 30 seconds of total invincibility through strong magic shield and other such things? No.

>tons of build variety
Purely evident if you even cared to look.
The variety the stats and equipment allow is a colossal increase over what was previously doable, because DeS was a shitshow of everyone having the exact same temple knight cursed weapon second chance build and DaS build variety came down to what you wanted to hornet backstab with.

>fuck off
PvP keeps these games alive.

>nerfing everything to the ground is a shit way of balancing
It's a good way of balancing, because things like fire malformed skull and oneshot great resonant soul did not deserve to exist.

> produce a whole lot of shit weapons that are outclassed by the best of it's type
Incorrect. It is easy to shit on a longsword user with a heide knight sword, and so on.
DaS2 does not have the problem where beating a demon spear with just the Spear is impossible.
The weapon variety is not only greater, but also far more balanced than in previous games, where you could only use one or two weapons in a class.
>>
>>334996831
Soul memory really didn't hurt anything though. i bought everything i wanted and by the end of the game every time, my souls were in the low millions, my level was around 170+, and levels cost so much by that point that I MAYBE lost 3-4 overall.

And 3-4 points at level 170 is pretty much meaningless. I get the overreaction to the concept but in practice soul memory did not fuck anybody up unless they lost... well, pretty much everything all the time.

Honestly i preferred soul memory to this weapon level matching shit. It kept the twinks out but didn't make me have to hobble myself.
>>
How alive is PvP in this one? In older entries?
>>
>>335000083
pretty solid, if a little laggy at times. Invading is seriously one sided though.
>>
>>335000083
still pretty active in das2, das3 just came out so theres tons of invasions
>>
>>334999626
no, three occurs after. Even in dark souls 1 you could walk away and plunge the world into the age of darkness, it just wasn't canon.
>>
>>334994173
Problem with DS2 is that a lot of the casual PvE players don't like it since none of the stuff that you mentioned applies to them. They hate it cause its harder than DS1, you can't just walk behind an enemy and not get touched. They hate that enemies have tracking since they can't time their dodges.
DS2's pvp and build variety is far superior to the other DS games. A casual pve player is not gonna bother to understand how the mechanics work.
Soul memory sucked at first, when you have overleveled players and buff stacking. But since armor and buff stacking have been nerfed, overleveled players don't have a huge advantage anymore. Plus I like to be able to pvp with people from a much larger level range. The advantage overleveled ppl have is not as much as you think.
The only shitty thing about DS2 is agility, tying dodging i-frames and estus drinking to a stat is fucking stupid.
>>
>>334993512

DaSIII doesn't have ADP or enemies that move on an axis in a very obvious and silly way.

There's no need to say anything else.
>>
>>335000171
>one sided
How so? You talking about the ganks in 3?
>>
>>335000301
its funny because das1 actually has alot of really dumb and convoluted tech thanks to its base mechanics meshing so horribly with its netcode
>>
>>334999732
>>335000268

>dark souls 3 occurs after 2

what the fuck am i hearing
>>
>>334997763
nice meme
>>
>>334999385
Soul memory is not even a problem after they removed buff stacking and nerfed heavy armor. Most of the overleveled players are shitters anyways, what you can't beat a shitter that has 10-15% advantage over you?

Now agility fucking sucks, i agree with that. Its that thing that gives the over levelers the biggest advantage.
>>
Dark Souls 2 is the best souls game and it continues to have 2-4k players at any given time which is what it had before souls 3 came out.

Thankfully souls 3 didn't kill scholar. Souls 3 is a casual PvE game and nothing more.
>>
>>334998261
He's new here, leave him alone.
>>
>>334998740
Its gonna be dead even with a blue eye orb, since miyazaki used the dumb invasion mechanics from dark souls 1, where you can no longer invade someone who has beaten the area boss. There is no sin mechanic in DS3 and most invaders will have beaten the boss before they invade the area.
>>
>>335000734
Nigga NPCs and other shit from 2 are dead in 3
>>
>>335001534
There is a sin mechanic
>>
DaS2 > BB > DaS > DeS > DaS3

I think we can all agree on this.
>>
>>334997539
Get a ps4 controller is the answer.
>>
>>335001793
And some are alive. Your point?
>>
>>334997716
they are all the same, like one big game
>>
>>334993512
Why is it still so fucking expensive? I want to get it so I have the whole trilogy but I'm not paying more than 20$.
>>
File: fasting buddha.jpg (76 KB, 350x500) Image search: [Google]
fasting buddha.jpg
76 KB, 350x500
>>334999626
sounds like buddhism

the world is also a pretty shitty place for buddhists. And the desires are the reason everything is going deeper into shit.
>>
>>334997119
>DaS2 has more replayability
Yeah, no. Unless you take that arena PvP shit seriously.
>>
is there still a decent amount still doing the arena pvp in dark souls 2?
>>
>>335002321
The point is how can they fucking come back from the dead to be in DS2 if they already dead in 3.
3 is the last in the timeline period.
>>
>>335002818

>PVP doesn't count because I say so!

I prefer DaS3 but common.
>>
>>335002818
Once you git gud, you either do pvp, challenge runs, or play a different game.
>>
I couldn't get into DS2 at all, I felt like I was making no progress. I ended up killing a few bosses, but I felt like they didn't matter. I might've played it more if I knew what to do, but from what I remember the story was go kill these 4 lords and get their souls. The problem with that was I didn't know where to go.

In dark souls 1, the guy said to ring the bell above and the bell below. I figured I would try below first so I went to the raveyard and figured that was a bad idea and after a bit found the undead parish, and then eventually blight town, ringing both bells and saw the giant gate to sen's funhouse open up, so I knew where to go from there.

In dark souls 2, all I remember was killing some conjoined twins and getting on a boat. I killed the following bosses, but feel like I didn't actually do anything worthwhile: The Last Giant, Flexile Sentry, Old Dragonslayer, Dragonrider, and I might've been working on the Ruin Sentinels before I stopped playing. I just felt like I wasn't getting anywhere.

Maybe dark souls 2 had more options of where to go, and maybe dark souls 1 was more linear, but I felt some sense of accomplishment and progression with dark souls 1, whereas 2 left me feeling I was just beating bosses for the sake of beating them, rather than completing some overall objective.
>>
>>334999691
>multiple universes
?
>>
>>335004887

You beat bosses for the sake of beating them, for the satisfaction. Why do you need a purpose outside of that?
Or what, do you really play Mario because you have to save the princess at the end?
>>
>>335005482
Do you play Mario because you like stomping on goombas or to try to get higher scores or to get farther in a level, or simply to beat it?
>>
>>335005673

To beat it of course, because it is satisfying. Just like beating a boss and exploring in Souls is inherently satisfying, there is no need for an objective per se.
>>
I beat DaS2 yesterday. My big complain are the DLC bosses. Elana is a piece of shit. She's impossible to solo. The three stooges before Elana are another piece of shit. They're much easier, but you have to kite them. It's a shit fight. They made these bosses with co-op in mind. And I'm someone who plays offline. Because I think the game is better like that. I solo'd the main game no problem. Why is this Elana a complete piece of shit. Otherwise good game
>>
File: YOUAREPARTOFTHEPROBLEM.png (38 KB, 897x414) Image search: [Google]
YOUAREPARTOFTHEPROBLEM.png
38 KB, 897x414
>>
>>334997539
I have a logitech too and it works. Learn to use x360ce
>>
Here is the ultimate truth about Dark Souls 2 that no one in this thread has the courage to say Gavlan wheel? Gavlan deal.
>>
>>335000301
>they hate it cause its harder than DS1, you can't just walk behind an enemy and not get touched. They hate that enemies have tracking
lol
>>
The extent you people go to in order to deviate from the popular opinion I swear.
Gonna make a 'Skyward Sword is underrated' thread next?
>>
>>334993512
This is going to be the hot new meme.
>>
>clunky controls
>shitty tracking on weapons
>laggy ass fucking pvp only could win as host
>everything is the same and has 10 variations
>get ganked by 10 enemies at once in almost every area of the game

ds2 > ds3 > ds1
>>
>>335006502
lol I don't care.
>>
I wouldn't mind the shitty bosses so much if the game didn't play like shit as well. Glad 3 fixed both.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6uyuIQYlfY
>>
>>334996207
At least try to make some points. This isn't a bad game like OoT we're talking about here.
>>
>>334998584

Awful, just awful opinions.
>>
File: 1lillianparker.jpg (66 KB, 503x437) Image search: [Google]
1lillianparker.jpg
66 KB, 503x437
Why are all the humans dead in DS1 and DS3? What exactly killed them?

I know that in bloodborne it was the plague
>>
File: loli souls 3.png (2 MB, 1226x1488) Image search: [Google]
loli souls 3.png
2 MB, 1226x1488
What's your favorite armor set in all of the Dark Souls trilogy?
>>
I'm playing through ds2 right now and honestly it just seems more annoying and worse then ds1 in like every way.

I'm probably not going to finish it just because it feels so much fucking worse to me.
>>
File: tumblr_ngbteubSBk1skceqmo2_1280.jpg (796 KB, 1229x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ngbteubSBk1skceqmo2_1280.jpg
796 KB, 1229x1920
>>335008014
Pic related.
>>
>>334993512
In certain and admittedly important regards that's true. DaSdos has much greater build variety, both in terms of stats and weapons, and it's easier to make a themed build as well. DaS2 pvp is undeniably superior to 1 and 3 (at least so far).

A lot of Dark Soul's replayability comes from its weapon and build variety, and DaS3 is lacking severely in this department as of now. I suspect that's why after beating DaS3 two times I was left with this feeling of, "that's it?"

Overall I enjoyed 3 more than SotFS for everything but its pvp. But after beating any Souls game a handful of times, all that's left is the pvp, so...
>>
File: gfqP39u.jpg (384 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
gfqP39u.jpg
384 KB, 1280x720
>>334998979
it's not
Kite them and kill the archer, then poison the graverobber and then you can 1v1 Havel
>>
>>335008014
based steel set
>>
>>335000068
So wait about this weapon level matching thing. Is it based ENTIRELY on the weapon level?
>>
>>334996791
Dragonslayer Greataxe
Yhorms machete
Gundyrs halberd.
All weapons in 3 have a unique feel to them, and arent clones of each other with different skins thrown on, unlike das2
>>334996831
yup, this killed the "really really great online" das2 shills keep pushing.
>>
>>334997430
>toon
Fuck yourself.
>>
>>334993512
Fuck off prequel apologists
Every fucking time
>>
>>334993512
Is that supposed to be someone on the box?
>>
>>334993512

It's Dark Souls 2.
>>
File: 1461154315405.gif (883 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1461154315405.gif
883 KB, 250x250
who here actually enjoys Dark Souls PVP?

I get invading to hamper people's progress, that's fun and all, but I think that the organized PVP shit is just outright terrible

Why not just play a fighting game or something if you want to 'honourably duel' someone. At least there would be some semblance of balance, decent mechanics and net code that isn't written by a monkey
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (94 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
94 KB, 1280x720
>>335008014
>>
>>335000734
>He didn't find Lucatiel's set
>>
>GTA V comes out
>suddenly the contrarians cry about how IV was superior while still being the most shit game in the series
>Dark souls 3 comes out
>it's such an improvement over 2, no one even remembers that pile of shit exists anymore
>as always contrarians shitpost about the worst game in the series and how they miss it
Happens all the time, like a damn clockwork.
>>
>Re-watch the mememathosis critique of Dark Souls 2
>Pretty much every single thing he points out is still in Dark Souls 3 or has been taken so far in the oposite direction that it is worse for it.
t-they will patch it right?
>>
>>334999852
>This is irrelevant. Do you take points away from DaS1 for allowing 30 seconds of total invincibility through strong magic shield and other such things? No.
So why are you taking points off for DaS3's day one balance issues?
>>
Dark Souls 2 had the best town, main menu theme, scenery, variety of maps, PVP, armor and weapons.
>>
>NPC'S
DaS3>DeS>DaS>BB>DaS2

>Bosses
OH>AotA>DaS3>DaS2DLC>BB>DeS>DaS2

>Area design
DaS3>DeS>BB=>DaS>DaS2

>World Design
DaS>BB=>DaS3>DeS>>>>>DaS2

>Music use
OH>DaS3>DaS>DeS>BB>DaS2

>Atmosphere
BB=DeS=>DaS3>DaS>>>>DaS2

>Weapon variety and mechanics
DaS3=BB>DaS2>DaS>DeS

>Difficulty/Challenge
OH=>DaS3>BB=DaS2dlc=DaS>DaS2>DeS

>Multiplayer
DaS3>DaS2>DaS>DeS>bb

I genuinely laugh at anyone who thinks any released souls base game before DaS3 is remotely as good as it, the bosses are all unique with transnational phase mechanics along with transitioning music accompanying the phases. There is no soul memory while still retaining the more friendly DS2 style pvp speed and accessibility, covenants don't require tedious teleportation, and there is a red eye orb available very early on.

The area design is continuously fantastic with large interaction with each area, shortcuts large sprawling offpaths and fantastic vistas, along with actually being able to see different parts of the map you've already seen/will go to.

The general encounters are much more interesting than any other in the series, with normal enemies and minibosses having much larger movesets and being a ton more mobile.

The only reason people think the previous games are harder is because they haven't played them recently.

DaS1 bosses are slow, can be beaten by rotating round them in a large amount of cases, and encourage "hit their leg" to win mechanics, it's bad boss design. DaS2 bosses similarly can largely be spun around and have such small movesets it's genuinely laughable. Bloodborne's content comes close in difficulty, but I think the last half of the game plummets down in both quality and challenge, excluding ebrietas.
>>
>>335009076
Majula is shit, so is it's annoying music. I don't even remember the menu theme in DaS2, the whole OST was so bland and forgettable, so whatever. Scenery was okay, but didn't make any sense whatsoever. The maps made no fucking sense either, they had some really good ones, but their placements and how they connected with each other was absolutely fucking retarded. PVP? You mean the SL 500 flipping smelters? Nah. Armor looks and feels better in DaS3, because it actually looks like armor and because the animations aren't as terrible as they were in DaS2. Weapons? Sure, after they nerfed everything to the ground to keep the most shitty aspect of the game "balanced".
>>
File: tumblr_o5oc88KS6S1uz4oowo1_1280.jpg (155 KB, 887x805) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5oc88KS6S1uz4oowo1_1280.jpg
155 KB, 887x805
>>335009245
Really good list, but the only one I dont get is 3 getting best NPC's
I mean, I enjoy them, but there really isn't... much? Most of them are vendors with half a paragraph of sorta lackluster character to them (Except based greirat.) Which, is usually the case for souls, but at least DeS really packed a punch in their short writing. And, with non vendor NPC's there are only two 'reocurring' characters who, while good, aren't seen often enough to stack up to stuff like solaire, bjorr, etc.
>>
dark souls 2 sucks
>>
>>335009245

DS2DLC bosses better than BB's?

Man, the only ones I can think that were worth mentioning are Sir Allone, Fume Knight and Burnt Ivory King.

Sunken Crown especially had terrible boss fights. Summoner lady that summons adds, a dragon fight (automatically bad you just chase it around and hack at its feet) and lazily designed gank squad wearing existing armor
>>
>>335009036
I don't believe straight sword and estoc superiority will ever be fixed.
>>
File: thewhat.jpg (357 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
thewhat.jpg
357 KB, 1024x1536
Dark Souls 2 has the most grotesque level design in any videogame I've ever played. It's like they got an intern to do it, and the artists only had one week to try to make them look decent.
>>
>>335009610

it's because they took BB's combat and enemy design (i.e. FAST) and put it into Dark Souls without really changing up the other weapons

as a result fast weapons dominate, with straight swords and estocs far outclassing most DEX weapons because they deal way more damage with quality scaling

STR weapons need to cost way less stamina and deal way more damage
>>
>>335009532
I enjoyed the much more involved npc's, how they could be more significant to the games plot, and how they changed depending on your game choices.

I like that Leonhard slowly introduces to the invasion mechanic, before recommending you to the covenant and eventually growing distrustfull of you to the point where he kills the covenant leader and runs off with her soul, crying out about defiling her.

I like that ludleth is actually present, a cryptic lord of cinder with a very regal sense about him, how he knows more than he lets on with the firekeepers eyes

I like how you can actually make irina a firekeeper, how the whole greirat/patches/siegward interaction played out, how you can completely miss yuria, hawkwood differentiating himself from the usual crestfallen tropes to go to the dragons
>>
File: 1436900252389.gif (410 KB, 221x196) Image search: [Google]
1436900252389.gif
410 KB, 221x196
>Played since DeS
>Never tried any form of moonlight in any FROM game
>Decide I'll make my build a bit more mage-knight for the rest of the game in my first playthrough of 3
>This moonlight

WHY DID I NEVER TRY THIS
>>
>>335009507
>I dont even remember
Time for alzheimer pills, pops
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oDmA17o5ys
>>
>>335009927
Great example, the only good track in the game plays when the credits roll.
>>
>>335010073

this

you could count the amount of decent tracks in DS2 on one hand

the music in 2 is so ass, especially when you compare it to BB and 3 which have dynamic themes that shift halfway through battles
>>
>>335002636
SotfS did only just get released a year ago.

I'm playing these games for the first time, so far the level design in 2 is pretty poor compared to the first game.
>>
>>335009245
>NPC'S
The DS3 npcs are just copy pasted and bland versions of the characters in previous games with almost no dialogue at all.
>Bosses
Another batch of big humanoids with weapons only this time they're enterily designed around using fast weapons
>World Design
The DS3 world is extremely linear and any actual deviations from the intended route to get some apropriate items for your build that might be found will fail you every single quest in the game while giving you no real posibility to play the game somewhat differently in different play throughs
>Weapons
How could you posibly think that DS3 has better variety and mechanics than DS2? All weapons are extremely samey in moveset and weapon arts, theres just less of them.
>Difficulty
Seeing as the game is a breeze on my second playthrough compared to the other games i'd say that it's much easier
>Multiplayer
Now you're just memeing me, the multiplayer in 3 is worse than even DS1, soul memory might suck but it beats the shit out of ganksquad invasions and duplicate covenants all over the place.
>>
File: header.jpg?t=1447351588.jpg (33 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg?t=1447351588.jpg
33 KB, 460x215
>>335009683
>>
>>335010838
Dead Space level design kicks the shit out of Dark Souls 2. I don't know why you're using Dead Space as an example of having bad level design, because the level design has always been pretty solid. It's genuinely strategic and fun on higher difficulties.
>>
>>335010203
The thing about Dark souls 3's world design is a very reminscient of demon souls, in which it presents a largish open area but you have one bonfire and you have to find routes and short cuts to make use of them.

However, what I said only applies to like 3 areas in dark souls 3, which is the catherdral, Irithyll dungeon, Irithyll of the Boreal Valley.

Also one thing that iritated me was that later on in the game you find bonefires that like less than a foot away from each other. This doesn't hurt the experience as most of the time it's between after beating a boss and branching paths, but I think they should of stopped the idea of boss fights creating a new bonefire, that way it won't seem sloppily made.
>>
>>335011787
yeah, I thought especially later on theres just way to many bonfires. I make progress in a level and I've only used like 2 of my 12 estus and I'm at a new bonfire, rinse and repeat.

There's no sense of panic when my estus is running low and I don't know if a new bonfires going to show up but I don't want to turn back yet because then I'd have to clear again.
>>
>>335012198
More like there's way too many estus flasks, like what the fuck
>>
Onion again and Patches for the fricking third time really made me appreciate what B team tried to do with DaS 2 npcs. Like, Creighton/Pate questline was genuinely interesting, it just needed a better climax.
>>
Now that I've beaten 3, I can go back and play Dark Souls 2 for the first time.

How does it compare to 1 and 3?
>>
File: 1461078947714.png (892 KB, 698x4355) Image search: [Google]
1461078947714.png
892 KB, 698x4355
>>334996831
Soul memory may have been a little lumpy, but it is infinitesimally better then having every PvP instance consist of getting mauled in undead burg by some nigger shit who played though the whole game at soul level 15 to get and fully upgrade end game gear.
>>
>>335010073
>>335010167
you fucking shiteaters play the game again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub-bg-rmEF4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnoZG6iCbjU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efHjdSM3nHo
>>
>>335013421
Extremely linear, maybe one shortcut once in a while. Bonfirefest. Ugly lighting. Magnet lock-on-you enemies.

Fashionest Souls. Different approach in regards of npcs.
>>
People only dislike Dark 2 because they played the base ps3 version. the game was fantastic on PC/Scholar
>>
>>335013745
People don't like it because /v/ is a reddit-tier echochamber where everyone spouts the same opinions.
>>
>>335013658
You just described Dark Souls 3
>>
>>335012351
that too. Like I said I have 12 and I'm only like 3/4s into my first playthrough, no guides, and each of those heals half my hp. Really isn't helped by the fact that there's a bonfire for every like dozen enemies (along a straight bonfire to bonfire path).
>>
>>334996930
It was a problem if you ever bought consumables or upgraded weapons/armour you end up not using much.
>>
>>335013586
Vendrick's track sounds more like an ambient sound than a boss track. Aldia's one is generic as fuck. Nashandra's is good, but nothing special or memorable. Wanna keep on defending your shit game with shit OST or what?
>>
What does SwoRDS actually change?
>>
>>335014234
Autocorrect, SotFS
>>
>>335014234
Makes enemy placement worse, makes metal shine like metal again and adds some awful bloom you can't disable.
>>
>>334999410
Nigga, DaS3 follow DaS2 more than DaS.

>the cycles of fire
>multiple lord of cinders

If anything it shat on everything you did in DaS as if it doesn't fucking matter at all.
The Lord of Cinder final boss in DaS3 is the CURRENT lord of cinder, not your character from DaS.
>>
>>334993512
>>334993639
yes also agree.

But if you think of SM it is utter shit. Ignoring that. Yes SOFS is better then DaS3 atm, but I am certain that DaS3 with DLC and performance patches will be far better then SOFS at the end
>>
>>335014234
Adds even more shitty ambushes instead of making a proper enemy placement, improves the graphics a bit, all DLCs included, adds a red phantom that keeps invading you, Kirk style, adds the most retarded solution to soul memory, and that's about it. In the end it's just the same turd, only a bit more polished and sold separately for $20.
>>
>tfw DeS remains my favorite to this day still
>>
>>335014281
New characters, bosses, better lighting, better textures, better everything graphically. New enemy placements and item placements that are mostly good. More npc invasions
>>
>>334993512
you are such a unique special snowflake OP congratulations
>>
>>335012660
>third
Fourth you mean. Technically fifth.
>>
>>335015698
The treasure bait pattern happens in DeS, DaS and DaS 3. I wouldn't count locking you in the Shrine tower before the elevator.

I haven't played Bloodborne.
>>
>>334993512
Vanilla is inferior to 1 but the DLC is goat throught.
>>
>>335015902
Pat's treasure bait happens in Bloodborne.
>>
>>335016030
Why do people say the DLC made DaS2 great? as if it's an entirely different game?

I haven't played and I'm genuinely asking, I thought it was just a remaster with slightly changed item/enemy placement.
What's changed so much about the game that from shit it became good?
>>
>>335016172
Inferior does't mean it's shit, vanilla is good but the dlc has just the best bosses, the best area's the best idea gameplay-wise (like when you have to save all the knight to defeat the ivory king)
>>
>>335016172
The DLC areas have a great feel of exploration and discovery with mostly good enemy placement. The second DLC has a bossfight that you can make really hard for yourself or really easy, depending on how much you actually explore the area. Same for the third, but you'll make the bossfight easier in a different way in that.
>>
>>334999410
>>334999626
there's pictures of nashandra and 'drang' weapons.
here's my shitty theory, dark souls 2 was on the same land but way higher up somehow(maybe trees formed the land again), and everything was flooded.
the same thing was going to happen again, and people call the ocean deep.
>>
>>334996365
>it's not a bad game, just a bad souls game

Fuck off. This is the exact argument people used with 2 and it's no less retarded now
>>
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 317x159) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12 KB, 317x159
Bearer of the curse. I will always be at your side.
Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.