[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are we seeing a trend where even the normal fags are recognizing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 15
File: doom.jpg (30 KB, 250x356) Image search: [Google]
doom.jpg
30 KB, 250x356
Are we seeing a trend where even the normal fags are recognizing garbage when they see it?
>>
Game will probably still sell loads desu
>>
File: GTA V.jpg (132 KB, 635x427) Image search: [Google]
GTA V.jpg
132 KB, 635x427
No, games like GTA still sell big numbers
>>
File: 2136167-3.jpg (83 KB, 642x319) Image search: [Google]
2136167-3.jpg
83 KB, 642x319
>>334958358
Then the servers will be flooded with refunds.
>>
>>334958393
I enjoyed it even if it's not my favorite GTA
>>
Its like the kind of shit not even JustinRPG wants to eat
>>
never played doom before, i thought it was fun gameplay wise but shit like the "hacks" and armor were dum
>>
File: DOOM-open-beta.jpg (53 KB, 730x391) Image search: [Google]
DOOM-open-beta.jpg
53 KB, 730x391
No, we're seeing a trend where a free-to-play anything on Steam can have a billion sockpuppets thrown at its review section.
Even the press that reported on it were like "It was ok but [some copy+pasted points they took from reviews to look knowledgeable]"
>>
>>334961886
I think you got that backwards.
Just about everyone who's played the Beta and made an article / video of it tends to agree that so far D44M's very fucking meh, trying to appeal to way too many different groups of gamers to actually master even one of them, resulting a very generic, lukewarm experience.

Those 5-star bullshit scores on locked down sites are almost certainly paid reviews.
>>
>>334958358
Is Doom really relevant these days?

I'm not referring to Doom 1 and 2, or even 3, but moreso the franchise itself.

Wolfenstein got a good revival even it didn't feel like a Wolfenstein game at all and just some generic 'nazis won WWII' game instead but even that had an installment back in 2009.

All Doom had between Doom 3 and now was a really bad console port.
>>
File: rip and tear2.jpg (138 KB, 900x799) Image search: [Google]
rip and tear2.jpg
138 KB, 900x799
>>334963663
it still has a very strong culture going for it on PC, but as far as actually having new titles being put out and steering the industry like 1 and 3 did, hell no. The new one isn't an awful game, hell the single player might even turn out to be as decent as TNO did, but the only reason D44M exists at all is to capitalize on a name brand that oldfags have nostalgia for and youngfags have heard about.
>>
>>334964583
>but the only reason D44M exists at all is to capitalize on a name brand that oldfags have nostalgia for and youngfags have heard about.

Given it's been in development since towards the end of RAGE's dev cycle and they've been saying that they'd develop another Doom installment after RAGE since around the time RAGE was announced, that's far from true.
>>
The multiplayer was much better than Doom 3
But on the other hand, the MP of any FPS out there was better than Doom 3
>>
>>334965403
I feel like the only person that actually liked RAGE
>>
File: DOOM - IDSOFTWARE.png (18 KB, 780x157) Image search: [Google]
DOOM - IDSOFTWARE.png
18 KB, 780x157
>>334958225
>>
File: DOOM.png (39 KB, 927x392) Image search: [Google]
DOOM.png
39 KB, 927x392
>>
wtf why do i have to pick up armor in the level?

i would have preferred if you could unlock better armor as you level up and just add it to your loadout
>>
File: poor bait.jpg (46 KB, 439x439) Image search: [Google]
poor bait.jpg
46 KB, 439x439
>>334967172
>>
File: doomguy1_big.jpg (237 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
doomguy1_big.jpg
237 KB, 800x600
I don't know about you guys, but all I need is to kill demons in glorious violent ways, most likely in hell, and maybe be nice to do it in customized armor but not a high requirement. That's all, just my boot or shot gun going up a demons ass and blowing them into oblivion.
>>
>>334958225
Why is halo guy in a doom game?
>>
The box art is going to sell that game to mothers of teenaged boys all over the country.
>>
I played it and it seemed like Quake 3. And the graphics didn't look much better (this is one an Xbox One). Just disappointing overall.
>>
>>334958225

yes
even casuals know miazaki is a total hack

demons souls was the only game which somewhat had something going for it.
the rest have been stale mediocre rehashes

but overall the combat is very boring in all games

not sure why neogaf was able to successfully meme such a stale mediocre series so hard
>>
this game is much faster than the new unreal tournament, i'm having a blast. i just wish that the armor was part of the loadout, not an item pickup
>>
>>334969384
>it seemed like Quake 3
how?
>>
>>334966431

Rage was fun if you knew what it was. It just was right in the videogame equivalent of the Uncanny Valley.

If you saw it as a corridor FPS with some open world elements than you played a game that was fairly fun and expansive.

If you saw the game as an open world game with some corridor shooting elements than you played a game that was incredibly restrictive.

Basically people went in expecting Borderlands style open world areas but what they got instead were a series of levels that were connected with a small desert that was basically just a glorified hub world.

The biggest problem with Rage is that someone at id checked off on a FPS that didn't have a final bossfight, and as a result the Scorchers DLC is pretty much a required purchase. That and the fact that it was rushed (as you can see from all of the obvious areas where there is a door you are clearly meant to go through that doesn't open).
>>
>>334958225
Is BrutalDoom better then this?
>>
>>334970997
probably, but vanilla source ported 1 and Final are still best.
>>
>>334970373
>fast paced action
>arena shooter
>armor pickups
>a variety of awesome weapons
>competitive gameplay

the only thing that sets it apart from quake is the increased amount of different game modes and the modern graphics.
>>
>>334971312
It's a bit slower than Quake ever was. It's nowhere near as slow as most modern shooters, but still.
>>
>>334971312
>fast paced action
It's faster than most modern shooters, I'll give you that, but movement is also boring as fuck and has no quirks or nuances to get good at

>arena shooter
that has design features more in common with modern shooters like Halo than it does other arena shooters

>armor pickups
that's pretty much the only thing besides health you ever pick up now that I think about it

>a variety of awesome weapons
that you can only hold 2 of and you spawn in with them
>>
File: 1449281506856.jpg (566 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449281506856.jpg
566 KB, 1920x1080
A thing most people are skipping of the MP is that it had no music during the matches, which made it very dull. I had to put on Judas Priest or Ozzy while playing to give me the rush I needed (yes games are drugs, /v/ are addicts who don't know they need a shit ton now to get high)
>>
>>334958225
no, it's just quakefags
>>
>>334971312
Graphically it reminded me of Quake 3. And not in a good way, in a graphically dated way. Modern graphics, really?

Also it had jump pads.
>>
>>334971907
>that has design features more in common with modern shooters like Halo than it does other arena shooters
Like what?
>>
>>334958225
>Play DOOM when it comes out have an amazing time
>that god tier soundtrack

>this comes out
>I'm had an amazing time on multiplayer.

It's not a DOOM game, that's for certain. But it IS pretty goddamn fun. I had fun at least and that's a lot more than any of you faggots can say.
>>
>>334972647
i can't type for shit
>>
>>334972610
Progression, loadouts, powerups that completely tip the scale, microtransactions, 2 weapon limit, melee shotguns to name a few off the top of my head.

The game's not awful, but it's definitely not the arena shooter revival many of us had hoped for. Hopefully the single player is good.
>>
>>334972647
>ATLEAST I HAD FUN
wtf
>>
>>334972982
Anyone who hoped for Doom's multiplayer to be a revival of Arena Shooters is fucking retarded given they were completely transparent about what it was going to be the second they announced multiplayer.
>>
>>334972982
>microtransactions
Didn't they specifically state no microtransactions? Where the hell did you get this idea?

The 2 weapon limit in multiplayer is a balancing factor as well. It promotes players picking different styles of play on the fly, and it's not a bad idea.

The powerups have always been that way in arena shooters, too.
>>
>>334973387
2-weapon limits only function if the weapons are designed around the concept.
>>
>>334973442
They seem to be. They are all extremely powerful.
>>
>>334973529
>They are all extremely powerful.
Except for the ones that suck.
>>
>>334958225
I hear consolefags are pretty happy with it.
>>
>>334973584
I didn't find a single one in the beta that "sucked", they just had different applications.
>>
>>334973387
>The 2 weapon limit in multiplayer is a balancing factor

It's so people who play with controllers can combo. The weapon mechanics are balanced around armor and synergizing with other weapons/gadgets and wouldn't take much extra balancing if they were placed on the map, but there are only so many buttons available on console for hotswapping weapons. They could've gone with Halo 1-3 style weapons that you need to pick up manually but that would've made the game slower than it already is.
>>
>>334973680
The HMG and Plasma Rifle were pretty much ass. The Vortex Rifle also forces you to go 2slow in order to do any damage with it.
>>
>>334973831
Funny thing is that Doom 4 doesn't even use all the controller buttons. Get rid of the tauntshit and you can have a dedicated button for at least 7 weapons.
>>
>>334958225
Not really. Normalfags still love that shit. Others hate it because it's a faster version of Halo and one of the reasons they loved Halo was because it was slow as dirt. Doom 4 beta was slow but not quite as slow and they hate that.

There's been a sort of reactionary defense response to disliking beta as well. People are trying to figure out all sorts of reasons why people would hate a bad game and none of the reasons coming up are because it's a bad game. Some suggested if it weren't Doom on the title it'd be a perfectly decent FPS that people weren't overjudging. Except if you ignore the fact that it's Doom what you're left with is one of the worst and most underwhelming games in FPS history that really is not good at all. It was like an amateur two man team put together an FPS to show their friends it did about everything wrong you could expect to do wrong when designing an FPS except with feasible (not great) graphics.
>>
>>334971312
>loadouts
>can't even pick up enemy weapons
>demon powerups
>no rocketjumps, shitty jetpack instead
>slower
>those shitty powerups you randomly get, some are straight-up clearly superior while others are shit
>fucking fancy melee kill animations
>melee button that deals shitloads of damage instead of a specialized melee weapon
Nah, this isn't really like Quake at all. It's like they took the surface elements of an arena shooter and mixed them up with CoD and Halo. They got this exercise in complete mediocrity as a result.
>>
>>334966038
>The multiplayer was much better than Doom 3
No it wasn't.
>>
>>334958225
Nein they will still upvote fallout 4.
>>
>>334973832
Vortex rifle is probably the major one that's unbalanced, but only because it's too good.

HMG isn't bad if you can consistently land headshots with it, and the Plasma Rifle is insanely good if you use it's area denial feature and can keep the stream of projectiles on people.

>>334973831
Doom MP has you start with a super shotgun. If they did this in Doom 4, no one would pick up anything else.
>>
>>334974430
>If they did this in Doom 4, no one would pick up anything else.
They did do that in Doom 4.
>>
>>334970970
>If you saw it as a corridor FPS with some open world elements than you played a game that was fairly fun and expansive.
Except it was terrible at being a corridor shooter as well.

I went in expecting to play an FPS. I got a piss poor FPS that didn't even manage to do fundamentals properly and then tried to push the player to do other awful shit tossed in at the last minute like shitty card games and a piss poor driving segments.

I'm not saying you can't do those things well or have them in a game and still be good but that's not what they did with rage. They were poorly done and they were shoehorned in an already incomplete game that didn't get the shooting mechanics to work properly and was underwhelming at best and the only thing it did to distinguish itself was megatextures. If you don't distinguish yourself through gameplay you might as just throw the game in the trash because no one's going to care enough about your graphics to replay the mess.
>>
>>334974581
But you're encouraged to bring a second weapon, too. That's the point.

The problem with weapon pickups in certain games is that it also messes with the heatmap. Only 40% of the map gets used.
>>
>>334974710
>Only 40% of the map gets used
Maybe the map and pickups should be designed differently then.
>>
>>334974710
>less of the map is used when players are forced to move around and pick shit up
Meanwhile, in Call of Duty...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xIHrQRzsG0

one of these games costs 60 bucks. the other one is free.
>>
>>334974659
Driving segments were the focus of the game for a large portion of its development. It wasn't "Tossed in at the last minute", post-Quake 3 id is really just that garbage.

>>334974838
Call of Duty in any FFA mode is a bunch of spastics running around looking for someone to hold mb1 on for 1/6th of a second.
>>
what was the final rating before they took down the store page? 35%?
>>
>>334975002
One is a mode for a single player focused game that's purpose reboot an active franchise and appeal to casuals.

One is designed for PCfat autists for whom the only thing going for them is being skilled in a video game.
>>
>>334975002
the point in that video could've been made a lot less cringey if he didn't shit the UT footage up with that stupid music and then have let's play horseshit over the Doom footage.

Is UT4 any good at its current stage though? It looks really good. Downloading it now.
>>
>>334975002
>UT was turned into a freemium shooter
RIP
>>
>>334975472
except it's not. The only microtransactions it will have is user made content and that's split between the devs and creators. The gameplay is full featured and free.
>>
>>334975363
It's still early in development, so many maps are placeholder geometry, game modes like assault aren't in yet and so on, but the gameplay that is there is rock solid and it's growing at a decent pace.
>>
>>334975002
One is some lucky shot instakill "Everyone can frag" garbage for half of its weapons and the other costs $60. You can't win.
>>
>>334975472

Epic makes enough money licensing UE3 and UE4 that they don't have to bother making games anymore, so they were just like "fuck it, you guys make the game for us and it will be free".

Meanwhile id hasn't actually released a game in five years and has been getting by from sales of its classic games on Steam and whatever money they got from licensing the Wolfenstein ip for The New Order/The Old Blood.
>>
>>334975624
>The only microtransactions it will have is user made content
>user made content costs money
>paid mods
Haha, no thank you. Keep your shitty huehuehuefest.
>>
>>334975624
Is there anything with a pricetag in there yet? I haven't played in a couple of months. I'd be a little surprised to see the hardcore Unreal mapping community developing a taste for charging for their stuff since that'd be a fairly abrupt culture shift.
>>
It seems like they have made a huge mistake only making multiplayer available for demos. The way /v/ talks about it you would think its MP only. Im still looking forward to it, but only because I dont give two fucks about multiplayer, and the single player looks interesting at least. Not as good as it should be, but I still hold hope for it.
>>
>>334975828
I said in another thread that MachineGames should've done the mp. One dev said they wanted to make a multiplayer game and name dropped Enemy Territory. But only if it's their singular focus at the time. But that doesn't look likely since Bethesda won't want to cannibalize the DOOM multiplayer crowd.

I enjoyed the multiplayer for what it is. I don't even play FPS online that often so I doubt I'll go back often unless they step their game up and provide more options and make it worth paying for more maps. That's gonna be a disaster and kill the community quick.
>>
>>334975363

The most important part aka the gunplay and movement is really good. Everything else can be improved over time. But in general the game is very good. The maps that are textured look beautiful.
>>
>>334976214

Don't worry anon, you'll be able to have infinite possibilities and endless content with the simple to use DOOM SnapMap.
>>
>>334976124
I still hope they put out a surprise pre-release demo.

>>334976473
Yeah yeah I get it. It's not pro modder level but I'm looking forward to it.

It'll be a fun diversion like Mario Maker.
>>
>>334976124
>showing a demo for a 6 hour single player campaign

Why would you show 1/6th of a game??
>>
>>334976646
They claim the office average to beat the campaign is 13 hours.
>>
>>334976124
Even if the "official" modding is restricted to snap map, it's not going to be hard to fiddle with the parameters for player movement speed, weapon damage and so on which is all we need access to to repair any issues with the single player at least.

As underwhelming as the open beta was, I mostly got the sense that they lacked the confidence to actually commit to a classic Doom style of play rather than it being something utterly unrelated, so I'm hopeful that we'll at least end up with something that can be fixed rather than a lost cause.
>>
literally nothing would have pleased neckbearded PCucks
>>
>>334958225
Normal fags are growing up. We should too
>>
>>334976772
I believe I read somewhere that there's an option to lock movement to "sprint" that was missing from the alpha and beta.
>>334976879
Also, this.
>>
>>334958393
GTA actually is the best game franchise though you fucking mongoloid
>>
>>334976742
Back in the day that'd be promising, because you'd expect them to have gotten pretty decent at the game during the dev cycle so for most players it'd last longer.

It'll be interesting to see just how non linear the game really is, given their claims. As long as it's not just a matter of SOMETIMES THE CORRIDOR SPLITS IN TWO FOR A LITTLE BIT it might help the replayability by giving you some flexibility in your approach to a level.

>>334976949
That would be great if it really is the case.
>>
>>334958358
It will. That seems to be the case with most games these days. Look at how much The Division sold. My buddies told me to buy it. They played for a month and dropped it.

If I was a prick I would have gotten $60 in one dollar bills and slapped Steve in the fucking face with the stack.
>>
>>334976879
Did you play the beta? There are few guns that are worth using in a loadout, the hacks reward people who cant play, and the pick up to turn into a demon is way to overpowered
>>
>>334977392
Well, there's a walkthrough of what seems to be the second level on Game Informer's site.

Sounds like there's at least a little non linearity combined with arena areas for big fights, but this is early in the game and it was a press demo so the area selection is sort of catered to that.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/01/13/a-legend-reborn-hands-on-with-doom-39-s-single-player.aspx?PostPageIndex=1
>>
>>334977392
>It'll be interesting to see just how non linear the game really is, given their claims

If you want to buy into that, this is supposedly all playable space. The area where the chainsaw gets picked up in the original walk-through demo is over to the left.
>>
>>334971312

>Variety
>in SuperShotgun open beta.

At least play the game for more than an hour, it's terribly broken.
>>
I unironically enjoy it and think it's a good mixture of old and modern shooters.
Quakefags are still ripping apart anything that isn't a complete clone
>>
Leaked SnapMap info.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Doomleaks/comments/4ecp8z/some_snapmap_info/
>>
>>334979143
>unironically linking reddit

neo-/v/ everyone

how does it feel being born after 1996
>>
>>334977928
I hope so. TNO and TOB had great scenery but it felt like such a tease at times. Especially in the latter in Castle Wolfenstein itself.
>>
File: 1459381996618.jpg (28 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
1459381996618.jpg
28 KB, 400x225
>>334979220
>le reddit hater triggered

Make a new sub for assblasted 4channers maybe?
>>
I already pre-ordered it.

On a grey market CD key site for like $35 bucks with the DLC. I could care less about the multiplayer, I just want to do single player
>>
File: 1405717856671.png (156 KB, 591x441) Image search: [Google]
1405717856671.png
156 KB, 591x441
>>334980751
Singleplayer will probably be watered down ZeniMax trash
>>
File: 1461200666279.png (84 KB, 665x483) Image search: [Google]
1461200666279.png
84 KB, 665x483
>>334958225
Even if they remade or even just touched up the original Doom goodluck getting it to sell. Battlezone Redux is already tanking and the forums are up in riot that Rebellion didn't do much with it.
>>
>>334981046
>spending $1700 on a PC

People like this actually exist.
>>
>>334981173
>spend $1700 on a PC that can max everything
>lazy shit developer can't figure out how to make high quality graphics
>it's the person's fault for having a $1700 PC
>>
>>334981046
I didn't even fucking know Battlezone '98 was remade.
>>
>>334981046
>I deserve the best graphics ever made from every developer ever in the because I spent $1700 and it's the current year
fuck off
>>
>>334973196

Why would they have something other than QL as their tryhard competifag product? Also the numbers that pulls were probably the main motivation behind id hiring Certain Affinity to make a more modern-feeling MP mode
>>
>>334976960
gta 5 is awful. i bet you buy shark cards you cuck
>>
I'm actually really itching to get back into the multiplayer. I know I'm the minority here, but I really was enjoying the gameplay.
>>
>>334958225
I'm only interested in the single player portion. Everyone knew the multiplayer was gonna suck, just look at who made it.
>>
>>334983049
i don't understand why you are being so hostile toward a common trope. people have expectations for shit they buy, why is this a bad thing?
>>
>>334958225
Is there more info than the trailers and game footage we have? Because those look great.
>>
>>334983804
my condolences, anon. i know it must be hard living with a mental disability
>>
>>334972274
At least you listened to great music while playing a shit game.
>>
>>334958225
New Doom isn't really bad, but...it lacks of what made DOOM so damn cool, DOOM is so cool thanks to the classic style it has and the amount of love the guys from ID Software put in it, it's not the same when is an AAA with bethesda behind, it lacks humanity, im not saying that there isn't love behind the new DOOM, but it's not like the old DOOM
>>
>>334983804

Same here. Can't wait to see how the other weapons will play into the balance. You can see the regular (non-Super) Shotgun and a weapon called "Hellshot" being used in the MP in this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNFUAH3V1U4

Also apparently the Chaingun will be a regular loadout weapon and not a superweapon - High ROF and fast kills but inaccurate and will slow you down as you fire like the Vortex Rifle does
>>
>>334985010
It's not a good sign that you can forget that it's DOOM while you're playing it
>>
File: 1435169355787.jpg (7 KB, 320x317) Image search: [Google]
1435169355787.jpg
7 KB, 320x317
>DOOM game
>the weapons look like gay shit
>>
>>334958225
The single player might still be good. I'm cautiously optimistic.
>>
>>334964583
I made that image and posted it on Deviant art 8 years ago

how the fuck
>>
>>334985010
It's not really bad, it's really awful.
>>
>>334986943
it's one of the first images when googling "rip and tear."

that's how I found it.
>>
>>334986009
2 of Ultimate Doom's 6 guns look like robot penises along with the chaingun using the bare minimum to represent a chaingun and the Plasma having the cartooniest synthesized soundeffect possible. Have you got Doom confused with Duke Nukem or something?
>>
>>334987765
Maybe you should try not thinking of dicks all the time faggot
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.