[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>starting weapon of the knight >also the best weapon in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: longsword[1].png (5 KB, 95x140) Image search: [Google]
longsword[1].png
5 KB, 95x140
>starting weapon of the knight
>also the best weapon in the game
>>
So is it this sword, the broadsword, or the dark sword that's the best?

I've seen different people complaining about different ones, but these are the ones I see come up the most.
>>
>>334905256
Longsword is the best for qualiy out of the three. B/B scaling
>>
>>334905256
It's what ever sword people don't like others using that is the best sword in the game. Longsword is alright, Broadsword is good for early game, but both have their downsides and you can easily find replacements.
>>
Refined dark sword is objectively the best
>>
>>334905815
>anything with dark in the name
>best

ok sasuke
>>
Is the meat cleaver OP? I killed an invader yesterday and he raged out on Steam chat saying I was just using the FotM OP weapon.
>>
It's not about what's the best. It's about what's your favorite.
>>
>>334905134
fuck that, i'm liking the lucerne even in NG+
>>
>>334905912
Nah it's nothing special. It's just one of the least shit strength weapons. I wish the native lifesteal on it wasn't shit. You basically have to use its skill constantly to get decent lifesteal.
>>
I think this game might have the worst weapon balance of all the soulsborne games. Even worse than Bloodborne. Praying for a patch
>>
>>334905134
Ive beat everyboss so far with this weapon. Only on raw +6 cus I cant find chunks yet. Also beat tons of invaders. Only lost once to 2 invaders at once
>>
Is this about DS3? Nothing new. Does no one remember how broken you could be in 1 just by using the starter club and pumping all your stats into STR and END/VIT
>>
>>334906065
It seemed really good in PvE. But his whole deal was that you can swing 4 times on base stamina.
>>
who drang hammers here?
>>
>>334905134
>>also the best weapon in the game
No.
>>
>Not the Butcher knife
>>
After I kill Yhorm the Giant,
where do I go?
>>
>>334906212
>>334906065

Its one of the best STR weapons when it comes to Stamina consumption. Would be the best if you could infuse it and remove the native Health gain
>>
>>334905256
Heavy/Refined Dark Sword has almost 500 AR

Its broken as fuck for PvE.
>>
>>334905319
Is that with the refined gem?
>>
>get a dark sword
>get a heavy gem around the same time
>ended up using a heavy dark sword through the rest of the game because it was good
>find out I'm apparently using an ezpz shitter weapon
Fuck my life. I was wondering why the game felt so easy. I even killed quite a few people in pvp.
>>
>>334906534
Heavy Dark Sword has roughly the same AR and scaling as the Fume UGS. Consider that for a moment.
>>
>>334906534
Try a Ultra* or Great* and prepare for a fun time.

>A missed swing is half your stamina bar
>Have to decide too swing one last time or roll instead
>>
>>334906458
>go to PvP
>get obliterated because it has obvious as fuck attacks and no range
Balance? Whats that?

Also, fuck ever going against someone who is stacking heavy armor vigor/vitality and using a long weapon like the halberd or spearsword.

Shits OP as fuck.
>>
How good is Yhorm's Great Machete? It seems pretty fun, and looks badass.
>>
>>334905134
Dragon slayer Greataxe reporting in.

Been utterly ravaging scrubs with it.

2 hits and dead.

Facing a gank? Hold L2
>>
>>334906728
It's a direct upgrade from the meat cleaver
>>
>>334905134
Why is Dark Souls 3 so shit when it comes to builds?
>>
>>334907224
Homogenization and lack of balance

Most 'builds' are the same shit, those that try to do something different are unbalanced.

From are hacks, we've known this for years.
>>
>>334907224
They took a step down from 2 in some aspects. Like being able to dual wield nearly everything.

I miss my dual Greatsword build using nearly all my stamina for one swing
>>
I'm not so pissed about Longswords being top tier in every regard, I'm more pissed that even fucking unarmed punches can stagger someone in full heavy armor.

What the fuck is the point of poise then if I can't even take the BARE MINIMUM of poise damage without staggering?
>>
>>334907989
We bloodborne now, every form of defence in this game besides rolling is just a placebo.

Why even use a shield when blocking too much damage just means you take even more after from a fucking front stab
>>
>>334906212
Yeah the stamina consumption is godlike on it. It's a blessing for early game strength users because they can utilize it for good damage without pumping shit tons of points into endurance.
>>
>>334906765
No kidding? Does it do better damage too?

>>334907224
It seems like a downgrade from 2 honestly. How shit armor is already really hurts the vit stat and so does most boss weapons being complete garbage. It causes most builds to just not be viable.

The nerf of int and faith is also a huge issue. They aren't worth while at all. Pyromancy is strong, but you don't even get power within until literally the last area in the game.

The brokenness of weapons is also an issue. Just try PvP using anything but a straight sword and see how awful it feels. You swing slower and do the same damage as a straight sword, thus making it completely pointless to use anything else. Their moves always beat yours and are way safer.

The nerf on poise and armor is a hit on strength builds. Dex is king. You either go for a quality build if you put points in str or just go for various dex builds like a dex/luck build and just completely shred through the game. If not for the Dark Sword strength would be worthless entirely.

It's also an issue with game design. In PvE it's constant gank squads against infinite stamina enemies that overwhelm you. This makes shields almost useless and makes it really hard to do well with slow weapons. You basically have to use a bow or some sort of long distance spell to lure enemies in one by one.

On the flip side almost all ranged options are useless in pvp. Bow arrows can literally be avoided just by holding a direction left and right and the rare time people even have a shield it will always have 100% physical reduction.

There's just nothing fun about building a character in this game.
>>
just got uchigatana. feels kinda clunky but apparently it's good. what am i doing wrong?
other than playing a mercenary. also this is my first souls game
>>
>>334909050
Why not just admit that it's too early to tell and the reason why people use straight swords is because they're the safe option?

>You basically have to use a bow or some sort of long distance spell to lure enemies in one by one

That's why you use weapons with longer reach which you'd realize if you dared move away from straight swords.
>>
>>334909293
I don't use straight swords though. I've used basically every other kind of weapon and it's easy as fuck to see how you're outclassed.

It's not about early on. You look at the damage a straight sword does through calculations, look at its speed and reach and it's clear it is superior to just about all other weapons.
>>
>>334907364
But there were so many builds going around in DaS 2 right from the start.

Dark Souls 3 feels like a step back.
>>
>>334909050
>There's just nothing fun about building a character in this game.
This so much.There is zero incentive for me to replay DaS III.
>>
>>334909418
I've done a lot of pvp in DaS3 and I've seen at most the same exact four builds/weapons over and over again. It's really boring.

And day one was JUST uchigatana users. All those people moved on to the longsword though
>>
>wanted to a dickwraith with armor, darksword and dark hand
>become a pvp/pve meta shitter
I never asked for this
>>
I still dont understand why they removed power stancing.They could've easily made PS attacks cost FP.DS 3's PvP is really bad compared to 2.The fast combat reveals the flaws of the netcode more clearly.The invasions are broken, hence why most of the covenants doesnt work since most of them are there to counter invaders.Since invaders dont bother with it anymore the mp is completely dead.I give this game one month before it becomes a ghost town.
>>
>>334909050
>The nerf on poise and armor is a hit on strength builds. Dex is king.
good
>>
>>334908242

Guard breaking is good. No poise isn't.
I'm really glad how shields work in this game and DaS2. PvP went from "hide behind a shield until you can backstab" to people that actually roll and parry. Almost everyone two hands weapons.
>>
File: zweihander.png (14 KB, 188x284) Image search: [Google]
zweihander.png
14 KB, 188x284
Who Zweihander master race here?

Zweihander has been my main weapon in all Dark Souls games
>>
>>334909936
Right here. Tried a dex build for once this time and i'm up to the last boss. As soon as I beat him i'm gonna make a strength character and use zwei again.
>>
>>334909398
>hit a person any time they come near me with a spear/greatsword
>they can't reach me with their sword via prediction

I dunno bro, you talk to my collection of vertebre and tongues and maybe you'll suck it up. Point is, yer fuckin trash and you probably belong in the incinerator.
>>
>>334909050
>The nerf on poise and armor is a hit on strength builds
It's a nerf on people expecting to take hits.
>wahh I can't be a havel monster anymore, people with small weapons can actually hurt me now!
Hit them before they you, hyper armor is just as good as poise when attacking, you're just no longer immortal.
>>
>>334905134
>one of the bosses in the game
>also from demon's souls
>>
>>334909243
Spam its running r1
>>
>>334910052
>game is a last hurrah of all the souls games
>you're too fucking stupid to enjoy the ride

Kill yourself, please.
>>
>>334910051
But what's the point of hyper armor when heavy weapons can't trade, and are too slow to do anything but trade? Dark Sword or a Leo Ring Estoc outdamage almost every UGS.
>>
>>334909865
>>334909865
>almost everyone two hands
t. tower shield/dex weapons/straight swords
>>
File: 1455290982880.png (317 KB, 591x447) Image search: [Google]
1455290982880.png
317 KB, 591x447
>>334910130
>mindless pandering is fine because most of the fanbase is too stupid to realize it
>>
File: 1457737879522.gif (1 MB, 197x200) Image search: [Google]
1457737879522.gif
1 MB, 197x200
>>334910130
>Last hurrah of all souls games
>he actually thinks that nips would pass up the oppurtunity to make more money
>>
>>334910138
Use the weapon arts, only way to trade.
>>
I completely agree that the lack of viable and fun builds is DaS3's weakest point, and unfortunately that's most of DaS' replayability.

DaS2 had a lot of flaws, but it had the best build variety by far, and it's sad to see DaS3 so weak in that regard.
>>
>>334910308
>use BKGA weapon art into R2
>200 damage
ok
>>
>>334910130
+18
>>
>>334909813
because they only allow nostalgia for DeS and DaS1 so there's shit tons of pandering for those games and they tried their best to limit DaS2 as much as possible

I've never heard anything bad about power stancing. Most people either say they liked it or that it was a gimmick, but fucking no one said it was a bad inclusion. Instead they shoehorned it into the movesets of certain weapons.
>>
>>334906196

Club was literally only useful for your 2h r1, shortsword has a versatile moveset that even includes a stabbing move
>>
i'm in love with the Hollowslayer Greatsword, i love the design, the moveset, everything
Is it decent tho? Right now its worse than my raw greatsword and i kinda feel like i shoulnt bother upgrading it too much
>>
>>334910346
DaS1 had shit build variety at first too, at launch there was literally one build, and that was vit gouge with lightning weapons and enough faith for broken utility miracles, with mask/giants/giants/antiquated skirt, fog ring and dark wood grain ring. In PvE crystal ring shield would 2-3 shot every single boss from half a room away.
Just have fun with the broken shit for a while, don't take the game too seriously, and patches will fix shit. The game is in a far better state than Dark Souls 1 anyway, since the "broken" straight swords aren't even that good in PvP. They just need to fix magic and miracles, and tweak some damage/scaling values, which they've been doing (fuck the FUGS over-nerf though, they should've reduced its damage to 290-300 at most, not fucking 260)
>>
>>334910051
The point of those builds, armors, and weapons was the armor it gave you. The way they changed poise makes it not worth it anymore. All that did was kill a huge portion of the kinds of builds people did.

>>334910346
DaS3 is honestly most like BB. It almost feels like a DaS1 styled mod of BB sometimes. It suffers from a lot of the same problems too.

>not much replayability
>painfully linear in a lot of ways, with most of the sequence breaking requiring you to just skip the second half of the area you're in and move on
>very little build variety
>>
File: L3skBlm.jpg (609 KB, 1408x2098) Image search: [Google]
L3skBlm.jpg
609 KB, 1408x2098
>Not putting your grasses on, nuting will be wong
>>
>>334909050
>It seems like a downgrade from 2 honestly
Not really, it shits on 2 in every way except that your controller doesn't vibrate when you're invaded/summoned while alt-tabbed.
>>
>>334910625
The Greatsword is unmitigated SHIT in DS3.

It's a goddamn shame, it was one of my favourite weapons in 2.
>>
>>334910507
>BB
>very little build variety
BB had build variety, the thing it suffered from is that because they went for fewer weapons that are all unique, you also find weapons much more rarely, so you're going to be using the same bunch of starting weapons for the early game every time. And by the time you do get the weapon you want you may not have upgrade materials to spare for it yet.
Well, that and the ridiculous korean blood gem grind
>>
>>334910346
>DaS2 had a lot of flaws, but it had the best build variety by far
But it had the exact same problem as DS3 in that every weapon that wasn't a straight sword/rapier sucked.
The difference being it was like that after patches while DS3 is like that before patches. However, before patches DS2 was everyone using mundane havelyns daggers/santier's because lol SM
>>
Who /IlithyrilStraightSword/ here?
>>
>>334910625
The Cathedral UGS looks better.
>>
>>334910654
it doesnt shit on SOFS

SOFS is still better atm but that's normal. DaS3 is still missing important patches, buffs, nerfs and DLC
>>
>>334910051

Should be freaking obvious to anyone who actually fought the Exiles in the Crucifixion Woods, if those fuckers do nothing else they teach to respect attacks with Hyper Armor and how Poise works in this game.

I also don't get where people are pulling shit about "infinite" stamina, when enemies in general have very clear patterns and habits (which can subsequently be exploited) and a lot of how they can be subverted to your advantage depends a lot on your build.

You have someone wearing tough armor and a Greatshield with 200+ stability and you can easily deflect a lot of shit. You play a Dex/Magic build made out of paper and you gotta watch out for a lot of stuff being able to knock you out of animations.

If nothing else, DaS III atleast fixed a lot of my bad habits on armor wearing characters from DaS I (and to a degree DaS II), add to that the fact that there's also the option of playing faster and more dodge oriented builds and it's kind of silly to find that people STILL want to rely on their old crutches to survive in this game.
>>
>>334910795
Nah, SOTFS is literally the same thing in that everyone uses a straight sword/rapier with ROB/Flynn, there is no variety other than an occasional brazilian using a spear because he can hit you in Drangleic Castle while standing in Heide's
>>
File: luckbuilddddd.png (13 KB, 188x276) Image search: [Google]
luckbuilddddd.png
13 KB, 188x276
>ctrl+F "Anri"
>no results found
the fuck
>>
File: 1459799199589.jpg (138 KB, 483x651) Image search: [Google]
1459799199589.jpg
138 KB, 483x651
>>334906138

Bloodborne was fine in PvE because at least the heavy weapons all attacked really fast. There wasn't really a truly bad weapon, even though shit like Ludwigs was obviously the best.

In DaS3 you're just deliberately gimping yourself by using a large weapon since their movesets are all the same as they've ever been whereas enemies, bosses especially, are all faster and have more stamina.
>>
File: Dark_Souls24.jpg (44 KB, 552x960) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls24.jpg
44 KB, 552x960
>Starting armor of the knight
>also the best looking armor in the game
>>
>>334905134
I'm a professional cowboy and I use catheters. Been cowboyin' for 25 years. I've had 14 broken bones, 2 concussions and a punctured lung. I know pain and I don't want any more of it. Especially when I cath.
>>
>>334910840
that's bullshit

You have a shit tone of variety even in fightclubs. Fists, wips, naked, full havel, riposte builds, dark OP builds, magic OP builds etc etc.

ROB/Flynn only starts if you go over a SM of 3M - 1,5M is perfect for variety
>>
>>334910840
This is just not true.
I don't know what you are playing but i've seen everything from dual daggers to great hammers.
>>
>>334907224
>Poise doesn't exist = no point in heavy armor/weapons larger than a longsword (aka 90% of them)
>Magic/Miracles require massive stats and rings investments to be barely viable, not good, just barely viable.
>Scaling is shit, which adds to the previous two points

To sum it up: Intelligence and Faith builds are useless. Big weapons are useless. Armors and shields are useless. This also means you don't need Vigor.

Fast weapons were always better, but this time they are basically the only way you can play.
How to fix this?
>Massive patch that buffs Poise, Scaling and Miracles/Spells, while nerfing fast weapons' damage.
>>
Protip of the day!

You can drink Estus on ladders
>>
>>334911093
>Fists
Too bad they got nerfed into the ground
>wips
See above
>naked
You can fight naked in any souls game
>riposte builds
Yeah you totally can't do that in DS3 when riposting is better than DS2
>dark OP builds
Too bad dark magic was nerfed
>magic OP builds
Too bad magic was nerfed
>ROB/Flynn only starts
It starts when people get ROB and Flynn which is pretty early on in terms of SM. Anything else is worse than ROB/Flynn. Sure people will still use it but those builds are still garbage in comparison to ROB/Flynn with a straight sword or rapier.
>>
>>334911126
He is probably one of those shitters that is trying to fit in by mindlessly shitting on DS 2.He probably didnt even play it.
>look guys i am hating on the game cuz its cool to hate on it
>am i cool yet?
>>
>>334911021
And some of the best statswise, high defence for its weight

I did an entire run where the only things I changed about the default knight gear were the shield for a near identical but slightly better one, and adding a bow. Straight swords as they are make the game an absolute joke, and the knight is ridiculously optimal for the entire game.
>>
>>334911272
Don't nerf fast weapon damage, increase scaling/damage on the bigger weapons to actually counter all those downsides you get.

Faith is far too shit cause of the spells available are mostly just heal/buff shits for most of the game
>>
>>334911314
You could do that in Dark Souls II and Bloodborne
>>
>>334910507
>DaS3 is honestly most like BB.
which is the biggest problem here.
the combat system of BB did not include armors , magic, shields or ultragreatswords.
we are basically playing BB, but without fast quickstep, healt regen and trick weapons, while we have a whole bunch of stuff that is quite simply useless.
>>
File: 20160419174004_1.jpg (239 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160419174004_1.jpg
239 KB, 1920x1080
>>334910693
fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>334911058
wat
>>
>>334909050

Poise.is.garbage. DeS didn't need poise and DBS was toptier while hammer and Gaxe were both extremely high.
>>
>>334910352
You're supposed to charge it like in BB
>200
More like 1300.
>>
>>334911126
People can use shitty builds, they're still shitty compared to the best build, which is what most people will use.
>>334911376
Nobody plays DS2 anymore besides people who have already used the meta builds for each patch as they came out and have moved on to inferior fun builds. Meanwhile DS3 has had no major balance patches like DS2 and has tons of people playing who just want to look up the best build and exploit that. Just because people choose to use shitty builds doesn't mean those builds aren't shitty. If everyone playing Dark Souls 3 right now chose to stop using straight swords and estocs and started using raw cestus builds or some shit it wouldn't mean straight swords suddenly aren't OP.

The fact is you're a shitter who gets rekt and blames it on the game while saying the game where the population doesn't bother abusing OP shit because everyone has moved on is better because you don't get destroyed as often since everyone else gimps themselves.
>>
>>334910507
>equip the armor with the most poise
>build
(lol
1 had a lot of armors, but only 3 were used.
>>
>>334910693
>>334911432

Too be fair THE Greatsword is like, the only good STR weapon cause the moveset is so quick and reliable
>>
>>334911432
>using the greatsword AND pyromancy
Jesus Christ. You really have no idea just how good either the Astora Straight Sword infused with Raw, or the Dark Sword / Long Sword infused with Refined are, do you?
>>
>>334906241
Right here nigger.

Drang spears on my dexfag

Hypest weapons in the game
>>
>>334911565
i'm str/dex and greatsword is great with me.
shit's awesome. fighting the deacons with it was an absolute shitshow.
>>
>>334909243
put more points into dex and collect more titanite shards, upgrade and enjoy.

also the parry window when it's sheathed is nice.
>>
>>334911376
>He probably didn't even play it.
This.

I have DaS 2 installed right now and i rarely see two people using the same weapon.

I mean i fought some fagget that had a poison infused royal sword and was casting poison clouds on me and that didn't happen like a year ago but more like a week before DaS 3 came out.
>>
File: 1460152228489.png (146 KB, 295x376) Image search: [Google]
1460152228489.png
146 KB, 295x376
Poise ruined 1, demon didn't need that broken shit.
>I should be allowed to take hits from the straight sword, katana fags and crush their face when they can't do anything.
>>
File: latest.png (581 KB, 800x1206) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
581 KB, 800x1206
>>334911603
greatsword infused with lightning gem is just as viable for faith build. not doing faith though, plus I really like pretending i'm guts. can't wait to get that artorias armor
>>
>>334910289
there's still going to be a bloodborne 2
>>
>>334909243
Classes don't matter except for the hour where your starting stats determine what you can wear/can't wear or what gear you get at the beginning.

You can simply stick to that weapon or try out others too.

You can infuse weapons to increase their scaling damage with attributes like STR or DEX.

A sharp infusion would push DEX scaling, a heavy infusion is the STR counterpart - and if you invest into both you get the strongest version with a refined infusion to increase scaling of both DEX and STR.

Always check the base scaling your weapon has and try to increase the higher ones. Uchi goes good as a sharp infused DEX weapon or refined infused DEX/STR weapon.
>>
>>334911642
>>334911731

Start a second character, get minimum stats to use the Astora Straight Sword (start Knight, 12 faith, done) and infuse it with Raw.

You will see why people are complaining when you oneshot every enemy you see with a fifth of your stamina bar with an extremely fast attack.

And you know what else? No stats required. You are now free to dump everything into Vigor and Endurance. Hey, maybe even get stats for a pyro build, just for fun. Congrats on beating the game.
>>
>>334911726
Everyone complaining about the poise nerf are shitters who are terrible at the game. Also the people whining about BAAAW STRENGTH WEAPONS CAN'T TRADE ;_; when Yohrm's Cleaver can kill anyone in two hits.

They're all shitters who can't space, don't use buffs, don't know how to play, and just want to turtle behind a greatshield or armor that makes them invincible.
>>
I'm honestly just going to beat this game once and probably shelve it, it's way more fun playing the previous souls games. Long swords, rapiers, and memegatana are all I've been seeing so far being used and I'm apparently the only one using a Claymore/Butcher knife/any heavy sword.
>>
>>334911726
>Demon's didn't need that shit

Builds were even more broken in Demon's, faith was absolutely absurd and you could literally 1-hit flamelurker if you built properly

Just press that R1 and win all PvP too
>>
>>334911805
>I've honestly never played a Souls game on release
>>
>>334911545
>the best build
What is this best build you speak of?If you really played Dark Souls 2 you'd know that there are builds that excel in different places of the game.

And even in fight clubs there are plenty of builds to be seen winning.
>>
>>334905134

And best armor also
>>
>>334911783
sounds OP as shit, I'm in.
>>
>>334911805
Because the Claymore has like 10 damage up on the Long Sword despite being half as quick and using twice as much stamina per swing. Damage values are plainly broken for straight swords, they're insanely high, on top of getting a huge buff to their speed from previous entries.
>>
File: 1460363448182.png (165 KB, 303x311) Image search: [Google]
1460363448182.png
165 KB, 303x311
>>334911789

And on the other hand are the people who genuinely believe the only way to play the game is grabbing a straight sword and spamming R1, as if it's a saving grace against anything that can outreach those weapons.

This kind of playerbase is completely ruined, what became of trying to master the weapons YOU like?

Does it always have to be the Bass Cannon of the month?
>>
>>334911860
All you have to remember is you're FUCKING INVINCIBLE, fear no enemy and attack freely. This includes invaders; just hold the stick forward and mash R1, you'll probably win without even looking at the screen.
>>
>>334909835
Dex was always king but good players could make use of str before, now it's just unbalanced, why is that good?
>>
>>334911545
+18
>>
>>334911272
daily reminder that full havels only gives you like 30% phys reduction and regular knight armor gives you nearly 20%.
>>
>>334911842
Vanilla Dark Souls 2 on release was better than this shit.
>>
>>334911975
I second this.
>>
>>334911907
Grabbing a straight sword and spamming R1 is the only way to play in pve because of bosses speed, but it doesn't work in pvp, unless there are 4 of you.
>>
>>334911993
that's when you switch to a 1h sword with a poke and spam running attacks
>>
>>334905134
>playing as knight also stops crashing for users using 700series cards

literally a gift from god
>>
>>334910052
The only similarity between Dancer and Old Hero are that they are bigger than you and have curved swords.

Beyond that, you're wrong and they are nothing alike.
>>
>>334911021
Fallen Knight is better.

inb4 >meme armor XD
>>
>>334911845
>What is this best build you speak of
ROB/Flynn
>And even in fight clubs there are plenty of builds to be seen winning.
I've won fight clubs with the claw and low poise in DS1, I guess the claw is a totally viable weapon in DS1 in general and poise isn't worthwhile because of that. Oh wait, that's completely anecdotal evidence from a bunch of players intentionally using builds that aren't built solely to win as hard as possible and not what the actual meta is. However, you're a retard that's never played a Souls game on release and doesn't realize that everyone was using havelflippan lightning weapons in DS1 when it came out or Havelyn/santiers/oneshotting with dark magic on release in DS2. You seem to be mistaking people choosing to use underpowered builds and compensating for that by being good at the game for those builds actually being powerful, which they are not.
>>
>>334910450
raw weapons are really good at the beginning, they have no scaling so their usefulness is gone once scaling weapons surpass their raw damage (at around +4 or +6, with like 20 or 30 in a scaling stat)

Hollowslayer Greatsword isn't really all that special but if its your jam then just go for it. Pve doesn't need the minmaxing hardcore number crunching for advantages over your opponent.

Don't be a tryhard and go straight sword faggotry and limit your fun. Keep scalings in mind for your weapon - some are just borderline shit that curbs fun even in pve situations (many other boss soul weapons).
>>
>>334911975
Yes, I too like resonant weapon santier's for every invasion.
Maybe you shouldn't say that when you didn't play DS2 on launch.
>>
>>334911726
>Getting 1 shot by wrath of god is not broken
>>
>>334911993
>doesnt work in pvp
tell that to my refined longsword.i destory people with that shit.its just op as fuck
>>
>>334911789
>can't space
Spacing doesn't work with the game's horrible netcode.
>don't use buffs
Buffs only benefit fast weapons. Heavy weapons also don't give you enough free stats to invest into buffs.
>>
So far I have been using the fire longsword for all of my battles. Even PvP
>>
>>334911326
>It starts when people get ROB and Flynn which is pretty early on in terms of SM. Anything else is worse than ROB/Flynn. Sure people will still use it but those builds are still garbage in comparison to ROB/Flynn with a straight sword or rapier.
Flynn's forces you to keep your max equip weight under 60, which limits you a lot in terms of what you wield or what you wear. +50 AR is not that big of a deal if you put the additional weight to good use and do a different build without that fucking ring
>>
i use scimitar
>>
>>334911993

>Grabbing a straight sword and spamming R1 is the only way to play in pve because of bosses speed

>Because this weapon is strong and easy to use, it's obviously the only way to play the game.

Ever heard of a playstyle? I know it must sound unfathomable, but i played through the game with a Blood Bandit Knife, got myself another one for Raw and then third for Hollow and just pumped Luck, Vig and Endurance.

I just liked that damn dagger, kept playing to it's strengths and modified it for fights where it didn't perform that well (Hollow was best for almost all encounters, anything that could bleed, the Blood always came out superior)
Still no problem and trucking through NG++
>>
>>334912165
>Spacing doesn't work with the game's horrible netcode.
It does if your internet is terrible and you aren't playing against a Brazillian, but like every Souls game the netcode makes it a crapshoot a good chunk of the time. You shouldn't play Souls games if bad netcode puts you off.
>Buffs only benefit fast weapons. Heavy weapons also don't give you enough free stats to invest into buffs.
Maybe you should try using heavy weapons. If you did, you'd realize half of them have buffs built in.
>>334912229
Armor is pretty useless in DS2 if your weapon is fast enough because of the physical defense nerfs. +50 AR is more than worth using lighter armor. Not to mention your lighter weapon compensates for that.
>>
>>334912145
>Dark Souls 2
>Santier's Spear was extremely overused at lanch (even though it wasn't from what I saw)
>It's also a weapon you can't really get early unless you knew where it was and rushed it
>AND even then you had to know that breaking the head made it amazing even though it had a ridiculously high durability.
>Dark Souls 3
>Hands you a longsword that can pretty much cleave through most of the game on the best starter class and if you missed it, also gives you an alternative in the first real area in the game.

Yeah, totally better, just admit you're wrong faggot, I've played both on launch and this is just complete retardation.
>>
>>334912039
This. Not only is it the best starting class, with the best armor and weapon

It is also mandatory to stop your game crashing every time you load into a bonfire.

REAL FUCKING META
>>
>>334912291
>Armor is pretty useless in DS2 if your weapon is fast enough because of the physical defense nerfs. +50 AR is more than worth using lighter armor. Not to mention your lighter weapon compensates for that.
Keep believing this then. I'll keep wrecking robflynn shitters with my high poise/giant's ring +2 build
>>
>>334912143
>>334912145
DESU you sound like a shitter who is bad at the game.I never had problems with saintier sp users.

The only scary thing in the beginning was wrath of god and forbidden sun.
>>
>>334912291
Do you really consider War Cry a "buff"?
>>
>>334912236
I haven't even started DaS3 yet. Are duel-wielding weapons even good in this game? Never fucked with them in DaS2 because the requirements were too fuckin high.
>>
>>334912291
>Armor is pretty useless in DS2
Are you retarded?
>>
>>334911917
is it a rapid attack that just fucks their shit up beyond belief and insta-stunlocks them?
I think I had that happen to me recently when I invaded.
shit's rough.
>>
>>334912434
You can dual wield whatever you want anymore, there are now specific weapons that can be dual wielded. Which I find fucking stupid.

Give me back my dual spears.
>>
>>334912349
You wont' because nobody plays DS2 anymore and anyone that does is going to be using shitty builds like yours anyway.
>>334912485
No, I just played the game after the patch that nerfed physical defense into the ground.
>>
>>334912493
Yeah, pretty much. I think it is actually rollable after two or three depending on distance, but three hits is likely to kill almost anyone up to a certain point in the game, since most people don't rush 27 Vigor.
>>
>>334912434
You get paired weapons, which are cool as its like having 1.5 weapons.

But I miss not having power stancing.
>>
>>334912337
Not the guy you're responding to but in the first week or two of the game seriously like 2/3 users I dueled with used santiers with the resonant buff, jesters garb, and dual raw avelyns, it fucking sucked. Santiers was easy enough to avoid because most people using it were retards, but god damn the fucking avelyns were guaranteed anal rape.
>>
>>334912291
>Armor is pretty useless in DS2

But that's wrong. I've made so many heavy builds in DS2 cause armor/poise actually helped.

DS3 is where the armor is actually useless.
>>
>>334912538
>"can" instead of "can't"
Why do people keep doing this
>>
>>334912574
I saw WAY more people using hexes in PVP than anything like Santiers, if anything it just goes to show it's anecdotal.
>>
Post best easily obtained weapons in each game:

DeS: Mirdan Hammer
DaS: Claymore, Zwiehander, Drake Sword
DaS2: Club
DaS3: Longsword, Estoc, Uchigatana
>>
>>334912076
>Fallen Knight is better.
This, let's tip our fedora together.
>>
>>334912561
>nobody plays DS2 anymore
Citation needed
>>
>>334912561
>No, I just played the game after the patch that nerfed physical defense into the ground.
And i played it a few days back before i got DaS 3.Armor is as viable as ever.
>>
File: a06c41d82b6faa3e93fa771e7bd99f73.png (666 KB, 1654x1110) Image search: [Google]
a06c41d82b6faa3e93fa771e7bd99f73.png
666 KB, 1654x1110
>muh good old days with 24 str(enough to equip lighting zwei) and 99 vit/endurance with havel armor
>wahh I can't trade blow anymore
>>
>>334912337
>>Santier's Spear was extremely overused at lanch (even though it wasn't from what I saw)
>>It's also a weapon you can't really get early unless you knew where it was and rushed it
>>AND even then you had to know that breaking the head made it amazing even though it had a ridiculously high durability.
And yet in spite of all that everyone was using it at launch. You clearly didn't play DS2 on launch.
>>
>>334912691
CoughDEMONGREATHAMMERCough
CoughCHANNELERSTRIDENCough
>>
>>334912691
all of those weapons are viable the whole game besides the drek sword
>>
>Get Sellsword Twinblades
>Turn them into Sharp Sellsword Twinblades+3
>Go be a Watchdog
>Win my fights by mashing L1, then L2>R2 for my last bits of stamina
Is this supposed to work like this?
>>
>>334906458
It also costs almost twice as much stamina to 1h swing than it does to swing a broadsword / long sword/ lothric knight sword.
>>
>>334912538
You do know there's twin spears right?
>>
>>334912691
uchi isnt even good
add dark sword to your list and you're good to go though

Also add maces to ds2 because dual maces were fucking insane
>>
>>334912724
Compared to DS3 which has thousands of people playing? Yeah, it's pretty unpopulated. If you've paid any attention to my posts you'd notice that in every post i've had to explain to some retard that the remaining population of DS2 are people playing it to dick around with "fun" builds (even though DS2's base movement and combat are so floaty and slow that they're barely enjoyable even with fun weapons like the bone fist).
>>
>>334912724

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ for one

das2 isn't even on the list anymore.
>>
>>334912691
>DeS: Mirdan Hammer
You're kidding, right?

Most OP and ridiculously easy to get weapon in DeS is the Crescent Falchion. It's essentially a +7 weapon you can get IMMEDIATELY.
>>
How is Dark Souls 3 in comparison to the first two or even Demon's Souls and Bloodborne?
>>
>>334912731
>*A* TEAM in charge of making the builds in the game varied.
Thank you *A* TEAM.
>>
>>334905981
Does it still get a boost from leo ring?
>>
>>334912846
Its like Bloodborne Cosplaying as Dark Souls 3
>>
>>334912846
For PvE it's better than the other games aside from BB.
>>
>>334912846
With Straight Swords as they are, I honestly rate it at the bottom. Every weapon feels terrible compared to their overpowered glory, but they're incredibly boring.
>>
>>334912817
>>334912820
Fair enough if you compare it to 3. I went for a replay of SotFS recently and it's been pretty active tho, got a good bunch of invasions and summons both ways, and even had enough people around to max out dragon covenant without fighting the same dude more than 2-3 times
>>
>>334912846

it's good. the play in summoning/invasion is still inconsistent though.
>>
>>334912846

It looks nice but the balance is the worst the series has been, outside maybe BB.
>>
>>334912846
Probably the worst in the series, it's alright but the balance is just completely fucked, AKA look at this thread.

Dark Souls 2 eventually cleaned itself up and SOTFS edition holds up fairly well, Bloodborne doesn't really feel like a Souls game but if you want more actiony combat then that's a good game for you. Leaving Demon's and DS1 which Demon's is best in series and the rest of the games are fairly equal in different regards.

DS3 is just completely worse though.

DES > DS2 >= BB >= DS1 > DS3
>>
>>334912827
It's been a few years since I last played DeS, totally forgot about Crescent and how amazing it is

Mirdan is arguably better though, and is still available very early
>>
>>334906304
Trail ends there for Irithyl Dungeon/Profaned Capital.

You're supposed to go back to Irithyl borreal valley and fight Pontiff (near one of the bonfires there is this sewer tunnel, head in there).
>>
File: 1405157455703.jpg (25 KB, 432x288) Image search: [Google]
1405157455703.jpg
25 KB, 432x288
>>334912942
>mfw DS3's Bandit Knife when compared to DS1's
>>
>>334912846
It's a bloodborne mod made by a DaS fanboy that went 'zomg lol references! XD' and jammed the game full of them.
>>
>>334906283
Im using the butcher knife with 40 str (at abyss watchers now), but I get the sense that I'll stop using it in favor of a refined dark sword + refined claymore once i have DEX
>>
>>334912945
That's because everyone still playing the game is doing so solely for PvP.
>>
>>334913030

why is it's scaling so shit, even if you use a sharp stone on it?
>>
>>334913002
>I didn't play DS1, DS2, or Demon's Souls
>>
>>334913062
Because we're not allowed to be dick ass thieves anymore

I was using Bandit Knife up til Anal Rodeo in DS1. Here, I dropped that shit for a broadsword the moment I got one.
>>
>>334912817
>le faster is better meme
just fucking die you bloodborne babies.dark souls was a tactical action game before you faggots ruined it with button mashing r1 spam bullshit.
>>
>>334913062
>>334913030
Daggers will never get any love
>>
>he pretends to be Gutts in every Souls game
Just stop and get some originality, please.
>>
>>334913105

I didn't play demon's souls but DaS1 and 2 had pretty decent balance with the final versions.
>>
>>334913168
*gatsu
>>
File: 1404892844943.jpg (96 KB, 320x360) Image search: [Google]
1404892844943.jpg
96 KB, 320x360
>>334913168
>originality
>Souls

How ironic
>>
>>334913129
>tactical
>enemies so slow a braindead baby could easily dodge them
Okay kid. It was a slow action RPG that was too easy if you were used to the genre and knew how to dodge attacks.
>>
>>334913058
I did mention summons as well. In fact, I dropped my sign in the middle of fucking nowhere at odd SM ranges just for the hell of it and got summoned several times, which wouldn't happen to me outside the designated areas before

/v/ hates DaS2 and wants to see it die, I get that. Just saying that those of us that do enjoy it can still do so
>>
>Sitting here waiting for invasions so I can get my last three blade grasses
>Last two invasions were one dude hiding in a back alley and blindsiding me the moment I went through the door, and a ganksquad using all pikes
>>
>>334913168
>name is guts
>using havels and a katana

every time
>>
DS 3 is ''i get that reference mod for bloodborne''
prove me wrong
>>
>>334906686
>obvious as fuck attacks
With straight swords you play offensively and never give them time to attack back without hit-trading, which will make you win every time because of their ridiculous damage. Rolls have so many invincibility frames that you can panic roll all unfamiliar attacks without being penalized, so weapons being "obvious" makes no difference.
>>
>>334913192
Yes, the final versions years after the game released, which you are comparing to the current version of DS3 a couple months after release.
>>
File: The BLACKED swordman.png (293 KB, 1100x980) Image search: [Google]
The BLACKED swordman.png
293 KB, 1100x980
>>334913168
Making lightning scale of faith is the best thing that happened to them.
>>
>>334913192
Yeah, with the fucking final versions, this game just came out. Both Dark souls 1 and 2 had an insane amount of bullshit when they were released.
>>
The PvP balance in DS3 is complete garbage, but they'll patch it up eventually.

Then again, PvP isn't the main focus of the series, no matter how much you want to think it is. It'll never be a truly balanced experience. Each installment had things that were just objectively bad at PvP and would only work on people who were terrible.
>>
>>334906513
yes
>>
>>334913230
>implying ds 3 and bloodborne werent easy aside from some bosses.since fast paced combat made it really easy to avoid getting punished.
>calling me a kid while being underage
>>
>>334913236
And I played it when it was last on sale and got summoned less than 10 times through the entire game in spite of putting my sign down in every area as I went through it. Your anecdotal evidence doesn't change the fact that the game has a low population, nor is whether or not you enjoy its slow clunky combat relevant to that
>>
>>334913394
Harder than DS1, where you never got punished unless you were a legitimate retard who didn't know about the roll button.
>>
would a dex/faith build be viable in this game? i just got done playing chrono trigger my first time and want to cosplay as crono
>>
Why is the scaling for every weapon so bad?
>>
>>334913456
Put simply, no, faith sucks until far too late in the game for it to matter anymore.
>>
>>334913398
The "clunky" combat is a matter of taste, not an opinion I share with you. Still not gonna waste time arguing if it's good or bad because it will just devolve into a shitposting frenzy that will do nothing but shit up the thread

I got summoned less than 10 and less than 5 times back when the game was active too, and this is SM to blame. If you do a run where you restrain yourself from using up soul-giving consumables and eating up boss souls, you'll stay in range for longer and get more summons and invasions. It is fucking retarded and I hope whoever came up with SM as an idea dies of ass cancer. I still like the game and a lot of people does too, there's no stopping that
>>
>>334913456
>faith

Trust me, don't bother with faith. If you really want faith go pyro int/faith then you can still use some of the faith shit if you really want
>>
>>334913010
>>334913002
>>334913036
>>334912921

I might look into it. I couldn't really get into the first two Dark Souls, but I did enjoy Demon's and Bloodborne. Thanks for you input.
>>
>>334910038
Then they are shit? We're talking PvP against formidable opponents, not random kids you invade that has no clue what they're doing. Those are killed easily with any weapon. No decent player should ever get hit by a greatsword in an 1v1 situation. Spears are annoying because of their speed, but they still don't stand a chance against straight swords because they're just as fast but do more damage. And range doesn't even matter in PvP.
>>
I'd like if From decided to drop two tropes

>boss grabs
>dogs + ranged hallways and in general dogs ability to dodge everything
>>
>>334913454
>harder than DS 1
Maybe if you were a shieldfag all the fucking time that could be the case for you.Avoiding hits by dodging is pretty easy in DS3/BB.Its not even funny.
>>
>>334913510
Because heavy, sharp, refined.
>>
I haven't started a magic-user character yet, or even a character who dabbles in magic at all. I've heard that int and faith scaling is fucked for spells, is that correct? The impression I got was that your spells and miracles had their damage run off of a stat on your catalyst or talisman or flame, and that the only good reason to actually raise your int and faith was to just meet the requirements for the spells you want to use. Is this the case?
>>
>>334905256
They're all good

broadsword and dark sword are pretty much the same, use long sword if you want a thrust option
>>
>>334913645
Are you implying it wasnt in Das1?
>muh dark wud grayne ring
>>
>>334911917
God that's terrible, uninformed advice.

I regularly shit on cucks using longswords with smart halberd use. It makes reading this thread and all these angry fools complaining about seeing a very accessible weapon in this games infancy and deem it OP.

Makes for humorous reading.
>>
Are the Nips ever going to make any significant patches to DS3? I feel like they could easily add an early game faith spell that does damage (smite or whatever) and buff non-straightsword weapons and increase the viability of alternative builds.

It's seems to me that PVE building involves being a Knight with straightsword/whatever sword or you're a strength warrior with a butcher knife.

Miracles are shit, and the pyro buff is too lategame.
>>
>>334913661
I don't think I've seen a weapon that gets up to even A scaling with those gems that didn't already have good scaling before.
>>
>>334913530
So which is it? Are you getting summoned a lot or not getting summoned a lot? You're flip-flopping now. And the game being clunky isn't an opinion, but whatever.
>>
>>334913645
Watching people in my co-op pontiff runs, seems like shielding is super viable
>>
Nothing new. In DaS1 you started with the best shield in the game.
>>
>>334913706
><<>>imbblyeng every shitter who played the game used it
>>
>>334913730

scimitar does. also dagger.
>>
How much faith should you get on a dex/fth build?
>>
>>334913730
The numbers don't really matter too much, at B you still get like +180 attack.
>>
>>334913010
>Blloodborne doesn't really feel like a souls game
It literally has the same fucking control scheme and gameplay progression. There's no way in hell it doesn't feel like a Souls game.
>>
>>334913717
Halberd #1 hit fisher

in DaS1 it was totally free with stam regen
>>
>>334913637
>Wait for dog to attack
>Dodge or block
>Attack dog
They're that simple. And boss grabs are easy as shit to dodge too.
>>
>>334913645
Are you actually saying dodging was hard in DS1? Are you a fucktard that midrolled? Rolls are faster in DS3 because you'd die if they were any slower. In DS1 the roll being 20% slower or some such didn't matter because enemies were 500% slower.
>>
>>334913753
In DaS 2 all starting weapons are subpar.
>>
>>334913717
I've killed longsword users with the Claymore, but that doesn't mean it's not completely retarded when they're hitting me nearly as hard as I'm hitting them.
>>
>>334913751
Maybe if they use tower shield.But your stamina gets eaten really fast if you use a mid-shield.Not like there is any point in using shields when you can dodge everything with ease.
>>
>>334913750
As I said again, if you can read at all, not using shit that boosts your soul gain, you get a lot more summons, even now, than you do if you rush through your SM

>and the game being clunky isn't an opinion
Yeah, now you're giving yourself away as a drooling retard. Gonna have to live with the idea not everyone in the world agrees with you, anon

I'm done
>>
>>334913718
Knight is the main character. Didn't you see the cover of the box?
>>
>>334913718
>Butcher knife
>not battle axe

Also from reading lots of dark souls threads, people seem to have fallen in love with a whole host of weapons

Really it's just about adjusting your playstyle for each weapon, straight swords are just versatile and easy on the stamina use
>>
If longswords are so OP just learn to parry. Most people using them are probably r1 spammers.
>>
>>334913829
The mace is the best PvE weapon in the game and the dagger was the best PvP weapon in the game before mundane was nerfed into being 100% useless.
>>
>>334911993
>spam r1 with a longsword

Haha, no wonder people are saying Pontiff Babybitch is hard when I beat him solo, first try.

Straight swords are for straight pussies. And I frequently beat those pussies red and raw.
>>
>>334905319

how is the Claymore
>>
>>334913782
The minimum for whatever spell you want to use.

Faith is pretty poor throughout the game.

Only real benefit is getting two big heals out of a blue estus
>>
>>334913797
In doesn't feel like a Souls game in the way that a huge majority of your equipment doesn't matter much, only your weapon does much like an action game. There's two shields, one is pretty much a joke and the other is DLC but I don't know how that turned out since I never used it, and the armor had such small differences with no equip weight it might as well have been just customizing your look.
>>
>>334913886
They mostly used it to supplement dodging, made reading the weird timings on his combos less retarded
>>
>>334913956
Abysmal. Nearly the same damage as the Long Sword despite being so much harder to use. Damn shame, it was one of my favourites up until 3.
>>
>>334913915
Or straight swords actually need damage nerf, or normal greatswords need a damage buff
>>
>>334912041
>Dancer and Old Hero
get your eyes checked you might be retarded.
>>
>>334913898
>As I said again, if you can read at all, not using shit that boosts your soul gain, you get a lot more summons, even now, than you do if you rush through your SM
That's not true at all. I never popped souls specifically because of SM and still never got summons. Even in orange areas I rarely got summons.
>Gonna have to live with the idea not everyone in the world agrees with you, anon
All actions in DS2 are slow as fuck. Stamina regenerates slow as fuck, even when naked and using the chloranthy ring. Rolling is clunky as fuck without dumping points in adaptability. You can't even fucking attack in any direction after a roll. On top of that the movement is extremely floaty.
>>
So what's everyone using for a strength weapon?

I'm still using the brigand axe but I'm worried about not wanting it later. Whats good?
>>
>>334913927
>Parry a longsword user
>roll away from him
>the animation of him being parried plays 2s later because lmao lag

why god
>>
File: wake_me_up.jpg (70 KB, 760x950) Image search: [Google]
wake_me_up.jpg
70 KB, 760x950
>mfw you can kill Nameless King before 3/4 lords of cinders
>>
>>334914002
>Faith is pretty poor
Even if you go for that S-scaled lightning dark sword?
>>
>>334914041
Greatswords got a damage buff. They all have 80-100 more AR across the board. Even Storm Ruler was buffed. People don't realize that because they've been too busy shitposting about straight swords the last couple days to actually play the game.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.