[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Say in the future, VR becomes advanced enough that all of your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: neurons.jpg (19 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
neurons.jpg
19 KB, 500x300
Say in the future, VR becomes advanced enough that all of your senses can be simulated when you're playing a game. Would you play a game that made you feel pain whenever your character got hurt? Not necessarily 1:1 pain, but strong enough that you would want to avoid it.

Seems like it would add some depth to a lot of games, since there'd be much more consequences to your actions.
>>
It would be useful in simulations. A small sensation of firearm recoil, heat, etc.
>>
It would be cool to have that feature, but it would never make it in mainstream games. Maybe your artsy-shmartsy games or some hardcore (indie) simulations like the guy above said. The thing with pain is that people don't like it. With regular games if you suck you have incentive to get good, and it has been noted that games are so addictive because they manage to get rid of the disincentive of failure. Games are crafted in a way that makes you want to play more even if you lose or make mistakes. If instead you felt pain every time you failed, the game world would lose its appeal and your brain would tell you to go back to the real world.

tl;dr some gimmick value, but not gonna work in mainstream
>>
>>334892817
after seeing that video about that man-child cuck being afraid of a fake gun don't count on it.
>>
>>334894705
link to the video?
>>
if you hijack the nerves leading to the brain you need to be in a hospital enviroment where your breathing and heartbeat is maintained and a nurse looks after you
>>
>>334891908
http://tngames.com/

Its a start? (also old news)
>>
That is the beginning of my nightmare situation and I would do everything in my ability to ensure no one ever held that power over me.
>>
by 2022 we will be full SAO mode
>>
>>334895324
if world war 3 doesn't happen*
>>
>>334895386

In 6 years? Nah man.

Here's the thing kiddo, we already had this thing called the Cold War, and it was a hell of a lot worse than anything you'll ever see. We didn't all kill eachother then, and we won't now.
>>
>>334891908
>Would you play a game that made you feel pain whenever your character got hurt?
Sure would.

>implying you wouldn't play a Yugioh game where you actually feel pain depending on how many life points you lose
>>
>>334891908
Sure, if it's good enough. In the end, pain is always temporary.
>>
>>334895514
>this shit happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9NBvsmQ2Ik
>>
>>334895470
Like you saw shit
>>
>>334891908
Just a small electric shock after getting hit by a gun would be great, I imagine
>>
>>334891908
>Pfft, pussies doesnt have 100% pain recivers on
>Playing with anything less then 90% plebs
>Babies first pain threashold busted
>>
>>334891908
Before that happens, we need to make models that aren't just flat with textures. You wouldn't be able to feel the bark on a tree for example.
>>
Can't be worse than what my dried up eyes, bleeding fingers and numbing wrist experiences after a week of gaming.
>>
>>334895761

Look I know everyone's telling you the world is ending and there are crazy people everywhere, and global war is just around the corner BUT

>the biggest threat to the world isn't, it's just a bunch of angry sand people killing other sand people
>crime rates are down
>lifespans are up
>technology keeps getting better
>Russia and America aren't threatening to nuke the entire globe

shit's pretty great
>>
>>334894083
I could see it being similar to games like Dark Souls, where people play it to feel hardcore.

It'd be likely that places like /v/ in the future would mock anyone who doesn't play with any sort of pain as a filthy casual, which could push people to use it so that they could feel hardcore in the same way.
>>
>>334891908
No. pain is a useless vestigial feeling from ancient times it's long overdue that we evolved from it
>>
>>334896232

Not him, but I agree. The only war I'm worried about is a civil war in the US due to racial tensions, but the military would shut that down pretty fast.

War is at an all time low and industrialized countries have pretty decent relations, it's just shit holes like North Korea and the Middle East who mess it up for everyone
>>
>>334891908
I'd mostly ignore standard games in favour of simulators that could teach me a skill, so yeah probably.
>>
Yeah faggot when I play video games I want to feel like I'm really being sliced by swords and shot
>>
>>334891908

No, because it would be extremely painful
>>
>>334891908
Nigga if something like that would be real i'd just play AA2 for 19 hours a day and sleep the remaining time.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.