[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is better The SNES, PSX or DS version?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 2
File: Chrono_Trigger_Artwork1.jpg (118 KB, 700x640) Image search: [Google]
Chrono_Trigger_Artwork1.jpg
118 KB, 700x640
Which is better
The SNES, PSX or DS version?
>>
Based Woolsey translation, Snes.
>>
>>334832790
ds has new content I think

PSX is the worst
>>
It mostly boils down to translation differences between the SNES and DS versions. The DS version is more professional but some people think the SNES version is more charming. The DS version has extra content but all of it is terrible so it doesn't really matter. Don't get the PS1 version since it has insane load times
>>
>>334833449
Can't you bypass the load times with emulation?
>>
>>334833075
The new content is ass and not worth bothering with.
>>
>>334833654

I don't know. Probably not. The only thing of note added to the PS1 version are a few animated cutscenes, and those got brought over to the DS version anyways.
>>
>>334832790
DS
>>
I only played the DS version, it was all right.

Don't think I've missed anything not playing the other 2 versions.
>>
>>334832790
SNES if only for the far superior intro.
>>
>>334834371
You can turn the animated cutscenes off in the options menu.
>>
>>334832790
DS has an improved translation
>>
Wait for the inevitable PC version.
>>
The DS version pretty much improved on everything.

Even the soundtrack sounds better.
>>
>>334832790
>Which is better
FF VII
>>
DS is way more polished, only nostalgiafags would disagree.
>>
>>334834990
The monsters were called Fiends in the DS version, and Mystics in the SNES version.
>>
>>334834885
Which will be a port of the IOS version
>>
>>334835320
So?
>>
>>334835380
No it won't you massive fucking retard, you cock garbling mongoloid. It will be a port of the Android version.
>>
>>334835437
What was the most preferred translation for people. The DS or SNES version?
>>
>>334835320
Fiends is fine, monsters is supperior but fiends is perfectly fine.
>>
>>334832790
SNES had a better translation but DS has more content. PSX is bad because of loading times
>>
>>334833654
People complain of load times for the PS1 versions of Final Fantasy's 1-6 as well, since they were part of the same set. I have physically played I and II and have found barely any load times at all. They were there, but you have to be looking for them to notice. I've also physically played VI, and the load times are atrocious. It takes a good 5-10 seconds to open the menu, and the same goes for battles. I don't know how they could fuck up this badly.

Now onto V. I have emulated V, and I have it on the PSN. No load times at all. Any semblance to a load time is in this graphical effect that transitions you from battle sequence to the field/dungeon. And I'm sure they wouldn't have put Chrono Trigger on the PSN if emulation didn't remove the load times; because after all, it has a lot to do with the disc being read, and when you take that aspect out of it, this is presumably what you get.

But then again, why not just emulate it to see if that is the case?
>>
>>334835624
That's what they called them in FFX.
>>
>>334832790
There's nothing wrong with the SNES version. In fact it's the best version.

The DS version is okay if you want a new decent translation and new (shitty) content. Personally I prefer Woolsey's translation. It's just more fun to read.

PS version should never even come up in discussion. It's a broken mess.
>>
I like the DS version the best

better translation, no disc load times of psx, you get to see more of the sprite art because all the menus during battle are on the bottom screen.

The only flaw is that the extra content is kinda shit, but it's very easy to ignore the extra stuff, as it's pretty segregated from the rest of the game.

oh and while the translation is better, it is missing a bit of charm like just how over the top YE OLDE FROG talked, so that might be a dealbreaker for some
>>
>>334835719
IIRC there's insane load times for battles in CT as well. Like, the game will load for several seconds until the battle system finally comes up and everyone is in position.
>>
>>334832790
DS
>>
>>334833654
If you're going to emulate, why not just make your life so much easier and just emulate the SNES game?
>>
>>334835950
>New shitty content.
I wonder if this is an opinion of your own, or if this is one you formed out of the opinion of others. The latter tends to happen a lot around here.

Anyways, I don't know what's to hate about it. You can only really dislike the new translation if you have already experienced the original.

Otherwise you should have no problem with it, since as many others have already said; there is nothing really wrong with the DS translation. It just falls short in comparison to the original.
>>
I never even noticed a difference in the translations between the DS and the SNES.
It was probably a year or two between me playing them though.
>>
>>334836912
What the shit is this passive aggressive bullshit? The new content is garbage, anon. A fucking monster arena, for example? Fuck outta here...

I have no problem with the new translation. It's probably more accurate (IDK though) but IMO it's not as fun as the old.
>>
I think anyone who says DS isn't the best is delusional and extremely tryhard to the point where they probably don't have friends or an actual personality
>>
DS > SNES >>>>>>>>>>> PS1
>>
>>334837312
Ok.
>>
File: 1402606641882.jpg (16 KB, 152x185) Image search: [Google]
1402606641882.jpg
16 KB, 152x185
Who Marle/Lucca/Ayla master race?
>>
>>334835262
>shitty downgraded music
>polished
>>
>>334837187
you still failed to explain why it's garbage
>>
>>334837312
I'm glad you get all that from another's opinion.
>>
>>334836097
Can confirm. It's pretty bad since it slows down the game so much.
It makes you start to avoid battles as much as possible.
>>
>>334837187
So it's not the same game only put on a portable device?
What are you on? Where are the differences in gameplay that make it less enjoyable?
>>
>>334837914
I did crono, marle ayla.

I just beat this game last week. the last form of the boss was fucking hard. then I died, changed gear to give me haste instead of status protection and I wrecked shop.
>>
>>334832790
snes
>>
>>334834542
>Don't think I've missed anything not playing the other 2 versions.
You missed Shakespeare Frog you pleb
>>
>>334837914
I used Lucca and Marle in the earlygame even after I got other party members. Antipode Bombs and spellswords all day. Then after Frog's healing outpaced Marle's I switched those two around and went around melting face with Delta Storm. For Lavos I went with Crono/Lucca/Magus and spammed Luminaire/Flare/Dark Matter.

Bottom line is, Lucca best girl.
>>
>>334834990
>Even the soundtrack sounds better.
Wrong,dead wrong
It's slightly inferior to the SNES one due to not having that Stereo Effect in the Final Boss theme

Also
>hearing that soundtrack through DS Speakers or Headphones
>not hearing it through a good set of speakers
>>
Is the mobile version any good? Android specifically.
Yeah, I know console versions might be better, I just want to know if it is acceptable.
>>
>>334835528
>It will be a port of the Android version.
same thing
>>
>>334835719
>because after all, it has a lot to do with the disc being read
Wrong
It has nothing to do with that

It's because Square fucked it up
Each time the game has dialogue the game has to access some sort of text file to translate it on the go or some shit...I'm probably fucking it up I think somebody can explain it better but the load times are due to that
>>
>>334839823
Again, didn't miss anything.
>>
So whats wrong with the PSX version. Would I be better emulating the PSX one or the SNES one on a PSP?
>>
PSX version of corridors of time is inferior.
>>
>>334838329
(not him)
It's Masato Kato retcon bullshit
fucking there
now kys
>>
>>334832790
DS has the canon ending.
That being said, I do miss Frog's anglo saxon accent.
>>
>>334840643
Yes you did
>>
>>334840841
>DS has the canon ending.
No it fucking doesn't
Kill yourself you fucking Chrono Cross faggot
>>
>>334840992
Nop
>>
>>334840073
Spare yourself the hassle and just emulate it(if you need it on the phone there's plenty of emulators for Android out there)

It has online DRM where the game downloads new info as you play...it's fucking bullshit
>>
>>334841176
>It has online DRM where the game downloads new info as you play
Welp, no thanks, Squeenix.
>>
>>334841084
I honestly hate Chrono Cross, but it IS the canon ending.
>>
>>334840717

Loading times, in-battle slowdown, even the music isn't as good in some areas. Really, I don't know why some people fervently defend this port other than the fact that they grew up playing it first. There's really no reason to go back to it other than cutscenes and PS1 nostalgia I suppose.
>>
DS is best version, except that you have to play on a tiny screen.
>>
>>334841176
Guardia fell. But Marle and Crono might have not died since their descendant still exists.
>>
>>334841296
>but it IS the canon ending.
No it ISN'T

It's a fucking retcon
>>
>>334841759
meant for >>334841084
>>
>>334836912
>>334838329
have you even played it, anon? i'm going to add on to what several people said in the thread already and agree that it's shit. Monster arena is useless hot garbage. The extra content is just some shallow dungeon with vague connections to Chrono Cross that isn't interesting.

Only redeeming feature is the ridiculous gear you can get. I would say people that want to get through every ending as quickly as possible should do it once for the gear so they can stomp through everything else.

I'm indifferent to the translation so I would say the DS version is good for people who want to break the game. For people who prefer the older translation and don't want to break the game there is nothing they're missing out on by not playing DS version.
>>
>>334841759
>Guardia fell
which is bullshit since Porre would have gotten easily annihilated by Chrono,Lucca and co.

Also the whole Chrono and Marle thing was made way more apparent in the PSX Animated Cutscenes
In the SNES version it was more ambiguous and we don't really get any info on whether they got married or not
>>
>>334840109
After working with autistic children for years I have found that they often have issues differentiating between serious statements and jokes
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.