[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Never played a Souls game, but it looks like a world that has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
Never played a Souls game, but it looks like a world that has cool enemies and lore. What's a good game to start with?
>>
Bump. I'm on the same scroat boat
>>
How about you start with the first one retard
>>
anything but 2
>>
Dark souls 1 and bloodborne are the only game worth playing. The others are tad overrated
>>
File: dark souls.jpg (166 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
dark souls.jpg
166 KB, 1680x1050
Start with Severance Blade of Darkness
>>
>>334818826
Demons' Souls if you can. Dark Souls 1 is the 2nd best. 2 isn't bad at all but the worst of the series. 3 is good, 3rd best.
>>
first ds
>>
>>334818826
Gonna go out on a limb here and say the first one
>>
Dark souls 1,3 or bloodborne.

Demons souls and 2 are way too punishing for new players.

Had a friend who started on 2 and rage quit at pursuer.

When bloodborne came out he bought it, beat it and loved it.

He's currently enjoying 3 right now too
>>
>>334818826
Might as well play DeS first if you have a PS3, if not then start with DaS1
>>
>>334818826

Dark Souls 1 is absolutely the best place to start. Demon's Souls has less features, but stonefang tunnel, tower of latria, and shrine of storms are way harder than anything Dark Souls throws at you, with the exception of Anor Londo.
>>
Demon Souls = irrelevant
Dark Souls = too hard to get into
Dark Souls 2 = good balance
Dark Souls 3 = good balance w/ a lot of fan service.

In short, start with 2 and decide if you like it or not.
>>
>>334819759
>start with the worst game and black sheep of the series

No. Don't do this
>>
>>334819389
I have access to DaS1, so I'll start there.

Is the difficulty hike between 1 and 2 because new/lack of features, or is it just plain harder?
>>
>>334819759
10/10 bait, that or you're an underage faggot bitch fuck nigger. Cuck off faggot.
>>
be a man and play with DaS II first
>>
>>334819805
There isn't really a difficulty hike in 2, it just added a bunch of retarded unbalanced bullshit like throwing a shitload of enemies at you at once when the combat wasn't suited to it. Bloodborne and DaS3 do the same but their combat is a hell of a lot faster and fluid, more well suited to that.

Start with DaS1, then play 3 and Bloodborne. Play DeS if you can, it's wonderful but the franchise has come quite a ways since then. Play 2 if you feel like it, SotFS is the best way to do it. But it's the weakest of the five for sure for many reasons.

The series is almost always fair, barring a few moments here and there, as well as a lot of DaS2 for reasons above. Your deaths are rarely ever the game's fault. You have to adapt a mindset consistent with the game, adapt to its rules, play things safe and really get into the somewhat unique rhythm. They're unforgiving, not difficult. It will punish you for fucking up and this deters a lot of new players but once you really learn how to play a Souls game they're immensely rewarding. The challenge isn't the point of the games though it certainly supports their themes and intent.

Don't go to the graveyard.
>>
>>334819805

Because they designed it with "difficulty" in mind rather than "challenge" in mind, if that makes sense. It's more "This is bullshit!" than "This is really intense!"
>>
>>334819804
>>334819816
this is what blind forced pressure looks like, fellas.

Everyone thinks they have to have the same mindset as what's popular with the series, and they can't see out side of that.

Dark Souls 1 is unpolished shit with stupid gimmicks that have been corrected in the next releases of the series.

Dark Souls 1 is borderline broken as an entry game to the Souls series. And in a game that already doesn't bother to tell you shit, you might as well not have the item descriptions mislead you as well.

Start with 2, trust me.
>>
File: 1460827547960.png (389 KB, 431x450) Image search: [Google]
1460827547960.png
389 KB, 431x450
>>334820459
>>
I never had an interest in this series until someone mentioned it had deep lore like elder scrolls (like morrowind not skyrim). Is this true? I'm more interested in playing a game just for the lore than gameplay honestly. Also sigh seeing would be cool
>>
>>334818826
all the games besides 2 are worth playing and the order doesnt matter. if you have a ps4, you need to get bloodborne + dlc. One of the defining games this generation.
>>
>>334820634

Play Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne. I can't speak for DaS3, but demon's souls and dark souls 2 focus on story rather than lore.
>>
File: 1459871711045.png (46 KB, 920x900) Image search: [Google]
1459871711045.png
46 KB, 920x900
>>334820757
delete this!!!
>>
>>334820634
You can't read books of fleshed out lore in Souls, the most you'll get is items with flavor text in their descriptions that lead to really, really cool implications and very subtle worldbuilding. In that sense I'm not sure it's what you're looking for, there is never a fully visible image of how things actually are in the game - it requires a lot of thought, and connection of dots, and speculation. But this is why it's a lot more fun than TES lore in my opinion, because it is highly involving. In that sense, both series represent two opposite sides of the coin - Souls lore is just as complex and interesting as TES lore, but the presentation is worlds apart. Think if you took a bunch of Morrowind lore books, cut them into fragments, poked careful holes in them, and scattered them to the wind for you to find and piece back together again. I personally love it but it may not be what you're looking for.

But sight seeing is quite lovely, you will definitely see some memorable areas.
>>
>>334820986

Ok cool, I'll start with the first one and maybe just jump to three if it gets good. So is bloodborne part of the series or just similar?
>>
>>334821173
Bloodborne is for homo's, just like those faggots that shit talk DS2. Enjoy quitting at Carpus Demon if you make it that far.
>>
>>334821106

That might work out better in that it'll give me a reason to explore every nook and cranny. I just hope I don't miss subtle things.
>>
>>334821173
It's a spiritual cousin. Same studio, same core gameplay with a LOT of small differences (mainly that's it's a lot faster, almost like an ugly bastard step child between Souls and a character-action game. Not as complex as one, like DMC, for example, but super fast and fluid). The setting and universe is entirely disconnected, it's not published by the same publisher and besides the gameplay it's utterly unrelated.

Despite that, the vast majority of fans consider it part of the same series because it really is just a Souls game in a different setting. Souls is more of a medieval, dark fantasy sort of series whereas Bloodborne is a Gothic Lovecraftian cosmic horror game with werewolves, plague, and dreamworlds.
>>
>>334821173

Bloodborne is not part of the souls series. It's a standalone game with its own mythos and unique gamepla elementsy, but plays similarly to the Souls games.
>>
>>334821503
>I just hope I don't miss subtle things.
Part of the fun is honestly that you probably will. The games are designed to be played multiple times, they scale in difficulty with new game+ cycles, and you can always go back over stuff you may have missed. On top of that, the fanbase is so rabid you could pop in with questions in any Souls thread or search youtube for speculators, theories, etc.

Everything in the game is subtle, you will almost definitely miss things. I'm a Souls vet of 7 years and I missed half the shit in DaS3 despite having played over a month now with the Japanese release. Being able to continually find neat new things is what's so endearing to me about the series.

Don't let the challenge put you off, adapt to the game's rules and you'll get by with relative ease. The games are mostly fair, mostly well balanced, and most deaths will be your fault. They're very satisfying to make progress in because it's felt so readily. The challenge ties into the lore and tone of the series as well, it's not just like they said "hey let's make a super hard game" or anything. With a playthrough under your belt you'll be amazed at how comfortable coming back feels.
>>
>Dark Souls conversation
>Everyone brings up Bloodborne.

Please stop.
>>
>>334818826
des on ps3. das on pc
>>
>m-muh playstation series

Is the PS4 able to play Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3? My Xbox One can.
>>
Is someone willing to gift me a copy?
I really wanted to play the game but I am too poor to afford it. I will make sure to play with you whenever you want.
>>
>>334820350
This is one of the best answers I could hope for. I'm really looking forward to playing now.
>>
>>334822797
>I'm poor, but have all the free time in the world to play with you whenever you'd like!

Get a job, loser.
>>
>>334822798
"m-muh gank squads"
Dark Souls 2 is not as bad. It's just stupid people who couldn't deal, DS2 was my first Dark Souls, and it was by far easier than the first one.

You use a Human Effigy, and you think. Okay, cool, that's that. WRONG. You have to burn them at the bonfire.

Stuck on a boss? Work your way to it? Want to summon someone?
Sorry mate, gotta go all the way back to the bonfire, respawn all the mobs, burn your effigy, not die on your way back to the boss portal, and then finally get your summon help you need.

That's Dark Souls 1.

Dark Souls 2 is forgiving in every nature Dark Souls 1 wasn't, except Soul Memory punishment.
>>
>>334823780
I never said DaS2 is bad, in fact SotFS was my GOTY that year. I do really like the game. I just think the other games do things better than it. I like the weird, dream-like, fairy-tale atmosphere of DaS2. I like a lot of the environments, even Shrine of Amana. I like how varied the game is, as well as how much content it has. I don't like that so many bosses are so similar, and I think the enemy design was generally a lot less polished or interesting as in other Souls games. It was obviously unfinished, and frankly a miracle it was anything other than hot garbage due to the publisher interference and having to scrap the whole game a year out from launch. I think the team did an admirable job salvaging what they could of the game, but that hit still shows.

It's not as cohesive a game as the others, it's slower but somehow floaty, and it's more hit-or-miss, but it's still really good. Just less as good as the others in my opinion for a multitude of reasons, almost all of which are small but start to pile up as noticeable over a while (I've got 400 hours played on Steam alone, not counting the PS3 vanilla version before it launched on PC).
>>
>Dark Souls 1, 2 and 3
>DURRR WHERE DO I START
>>
>>334825221
/v/ are legit retarded
>>
>>334818826
>>334818926
Play Dark Souls 1 or BloodBorne first. Then play the other.
Dark Souls 2 isn't as good as the first, copies several bosses that don't fit the game as well and in my opinion, its easier but less fair if you understand me.

All you need to know for DaS1 is being human is usually a good thing but comes with downsides. The Gargoyles are hard for a reason, to teach you about summons. Beware the frogs.Bad situations can have unforseen upsides.

Go into it with that in mind and you'll have a blast, everything else is better if you figure it out alone.
>>
>>334818826
Depends.
I personally didn't like DaS1/2 gameplay that much and i never played DeS. It felt slow for the sake of being slow and forced you to play at its pace unless you're one of those specific builds with no armor , shit that makes lower life do more damage and using certain weapons.

Games have great world and lore but i didn't appreciate their gameplay i didn't see it as methodical like alot of retards like to claim. I find the speed of BB/DaS3 a welcome change because it keeps all the same thought involved well the gameplay lets you play at a more reactionary go the fuck in pace.
>>
>>334819389
>DaS2
>Punishing

Sorry your friend expected level design not to suck and didn't think every corner had a gank squad around it even though the gameplay isn't built to handle it.
>>
>>334819759
>DaS is the hardest in the series

When will this meme die? Most of the bosses require no mechanical skill outside of the DLC/OnS and can be beaten flat out 100% of the time knowing a few simple tricks.
>>
>>334819759
DaS isn't hard when you're a pyromancer and not retarded
>>
Whatever you do, skip DaS2. Start with DaS1 with DSfix, then Bloodborne then DaS3 for the best experience.
>>
>>334827365
The only boss that still gives me any trouble is the nigger before you fly to Anor Lando. He knocks me off the edges.
No bully.
>>
These games are so much fun.
As is talking with you guys about them.
>>
Play Demon's Souls first if you have a PS3. Then play Dark Souls, then DSII Scholar of the First Sin (it's better than DSII + DLC and will probably be cheaper). Play Bloodborne if you have a PS4 but if you don't it doesn't matter. Play Dark Souls III last. It will be worth it.
>>
>>334829313
Knock his stupid ass off the cliff.
>>
>>334829616
You stole that idea from how you beat le katanaman. I try to be honorable even when my opponent isn't.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.