[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prove to me that this game isn't shit!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: 0 (3).jpg (36 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0 (3).jpg
36 KB, 480x360
Prove to me that this game isn't shit!
>>
>>334816362
I don't have to, it isn't.

You'll probably disagree anyway since your a contrarian fuck like the rest of us.
>>
>>334816362
the ost is fucking nice
>>
>>334816957
How can a game that is simpler than the average NES game be considered good, let alone excellent in 2010?
>>
>>334817273
Tetris is still good.
PAC MAN is still good.
Damn, Mario Bros 3 is still one of the best platformers even made.

Just because the gameplay is simple, that doesn't mean it can't be good. Take Lumines or Smash Brothers for example.
>>
>>334816362
It good if your playing the pc version
it's worse if you're playing the ps4 version
>>
>>334817425
But unlike those games this game lacks depth.
>>
>>334817635
Define deep.

This game has more deep than Tetris, lol.
>>
>>334807803
>>334807803
>>334807803

A whole thread was started by it
>>
>>334817635
Explain how.
>>
>>334817767
There isn't a single instance where you have to consider your options in any way, it's making a FPS where the gameplay only revolves around shooting a target, and the way it manages to become more difficult is by moving the target farther away each stage, sometimes requiring you to shoot it when your target is behind your wall, you adjust your aim a bit, shoot and repeat until you get it right, there is literally nothing to consider, no options to weight, no fucking depth.
>>
>>334818178
Did you literally get past the first 10 levels?
>>
>>334818280
You trying to say that you need to master any techniques in a meaningful way? The only tricky thing to master is the wall jump, there are only a handful of stages that require tricky wall jumps to beat, of course there are disappearing blocks and projectiles, but even those are pretty trivial once you wrap your head around the controls. Of course there are the maw monsters but the levels with them are so short that developing a technique to deal with them is not really necessary.
>>
>>334818178
>Having to get A+ score to unlock stuff
>Having to get bandages to unlock more stuff
>Having to find the warp zones/error zones

Nigga what are you talking about? Half of the game revolves in getting gud and take risks, changing characters and finding shortcuts in order to unlock everything. There are bandages that require certain characters, for example. Finding the right one or the most efficient one is important if you want to unlock everything.
>>
>>334819092
>risks
like risking to lose those 10 seconds you used to get to the point where you died the last time, not a lot you can lose, it's like risking a nickle on the poker table

>finding shortcuts
shortcuts that are so bloody obvious that you can spot them when you enter the stage, granted the jumps have to make require some precision, but it does not matter because if you can try again 3 seconds later after you die in most of the stages

>dem bandages
I really have a hard time playing more after beating all the light/dark stages, though I did beat some of the error zones when they happened to pop up randomly, shit just got a bit too repetitive
>>
OP, post a screenshot of your completion.
I doubt you`ve beaten this game
>>
File: sure.png (55 KB, 958x312) Image search: [Google]
sure.png
55 KB, 958x312
>>334820039
This good enough?
>>
>>334820039
Do you really expect me to play past the 3rd act, how dumb do you think I am?
>>
File: AdorableAggravatingGalago.webm (294 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
AdorableAggravatingGalago.webm
294 KB, 480x480
>b-but muh pretend difficulty
>b-but muh rock-solid floaty shit physics
>b-but muh generic OST
>>
>>334816362
If you can't see that yourself, you are blind.
>>
>>334819808
>like risking to lose those 10 seconds you used to get to the point where you died the last time, not a lot you can lose, it's like risking a nickle on the poker table
I haven't see any game where you can't continue and try again after you fail.

If you complain is that this game doesn't take you to a 20 min. cutscene after every restart then it's bullshit.

There are short levels who require only one or two jumps, there are long levels, which requires several jumps to finish,

>shortcuts that are so bloody obvious that you can spot them when you enter the stage
What is the problem with this? There are shortcuts and secrets. I am talking about shortcuts
>>
>>334822495
>cutscenes
Because 20 min before hard sections are the standard in every game....except they're not, you complain like it's some big thing when only games like Metal Gear Solid pull this shit, dude if there is no risk of losing anything, be it currency, progression or items, how can there be any risk involved at all?

>They're shortcuts, not secrets duh, what's your point
My point is that they don't require an ounce of creative application of your skills, often discovering shortcuts in games require you to be able to spot opportunities, and be able to use your abilities and obstacles to cleverly skip sections of a stage, if there is no penalty for taking the shortcut and it only requires a slightly more accurate jump to skip almost the entire stage, then you'd have to be an idiot to not just take that shortcut for an easy +A rank.
>>
>>334824052
I love smb the best platformer since Mario Wolrd
>>
>>334824930
I love Tic-Tac-Toe, it's the best board game since Cehss
>>
>>334824052
There are risks of losing stuff in SMB.

1) Bandages. Which are required to unlock 3/4 of the characters. You need to get one and then finish the level. If you die, you have to get the bandage again. Most of the bandages are in alternative routes and require more difficult movements to reach them or to finish the level once you get them.

2) A+ Scores. These literally unlock the other half of the game, and you have to take difficult paths, or to act more quickly in order to beat a level. Not taking these risks may affect you when you finish the level and not getting an A+ score.

3)Bonus levels. These are in sets of 3. You have 9 lives to beat these or you will have to start from the first one. Some of these have bandages too, and you lose the bandages if you die these 9 times.

4) Error levels. Needed to unlock a character, these only gives you 3 lives or dissapears until you manage to get into them again. Speaking about that. Getting into these levels involves another risk, so 5)
>>
>>334816362
Why should I have to prove facts?
>>
>>334818178
You didn't play past the first world, clearly.
You didn't even play the first dark world, clearly.
>>
>>334825490
>Bonus level
congrats, you found the one place where there's a measurable amount of risk taking involved, I didn't give enough of a shit after doing Dark Cotton Alley to go back for more

>getting error levels
I guess maybe, kind of, I never had a problem getting them when getting the glitched goal

>beating error level
still less risk evaluation compared to a large amount of games from the NES era

>bandages
risk losing 5-30 seconds, that's like.. a massive risk

>+A
risking what, in most levels you risk losing max 10 whole seconds if you miss your jump

the risk taking aspect is fucking miniscule compared to hundreds of platformer made prior to Super Meat Boy, especially if we're talking about speedruns
>>
>>334825981
Your opinions aren't facts, that's not how it works.

>>334826071
Just because I think you're full of shit, does not automatically mean I'm full of shit
>>
>>334826954
If you haven't played something for more than ten minutes then how do you know if it's good, you insufferable faggot?
>>
>>334826830
the risk is obviously, your time and patience,
but it seems you have major autismo and have a lot of time, and pushed yourself to play a game you don't even like.
>>
>>334826830
Again, you are measuring the difficulty of a game by the time lost by losing in it. Are you really sure you want to defend this argument?

Losing 10-30 seconds or losing 10-20 minutes is not an appropriate element to measure a game's difficult or depth. The skills needed to progress through a level, and the mechanics, alternatives and possibilities involved to beat it, that is more relevant. And SMB haves that.

This is a platformer. And yes, there were platformers for the NES, but that doesn't mean this game should behave like a NES game. Even great games like Shovel Knight who have retro aesthetics have some elements that differs it from the NES games.
>>
>>334827169
>pushed myself
I played it while vegging to music, it's not a big deal

>>334827051
so I absolutely must think this game is good, or else I'm wrong?
>>
>>334827478
But you don't need that good of a grasp of the game mechanics, save for the levels in The End, where brute forcing the levels with rote memorization becomes burdensome due to the levels being longer than 20 seconds, why the fuck are you talking about acquiring the skills to beat the game when there are only a handful of levels where you really need them?
>>
Why is some anon shitting on this game daily now?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160419-121704.png (224 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160419-121704.png
224 KB, 720x1280
>>334827976
>the game is easy man, it doesn't require skill!
You may be a fucking gaming God but you need to understand your opinion is shit.

Objectively the game is hard and requires skill.
>>
>>334828545
I didn't say it doesn't require skill, I said that the majority of levels can be beaten with rote memorization, essentially brute forcing your ass between the obstacles, I guess it's a skill in itself, but for most human beings it works well enough to the point that most will beat the Light world under 5 hours on their first playthrough, well of course as I said the levels in The End are long enough that you need a bit of understanding of the game mechanics to beat them, but it's not that insane, especially compared to harder platformers where you don't get a checkpoint every 20 seconds. It's kinda hard, but not to the point that it's worth making a big fuzz about it.
>>
>>334828463
Because nobody is stopping me from doing it.
>>
>>334829356
Congratz, you just told me how this game is depth
>>
>It's an arguing over whether checkpoint heavy instant death platformers count as "hard" or not episode
>>
>>334829470
Being able to hit the platforms you are trying to jump to makes a game deep now?
>>
Thoughtful level design, good amount of content, tight controls, overall sense that the developers had fun making it, fantastic music (unless you're a sony only cuck)
>>
File: ok.png (9 KB, 286x186) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
9 KB, 286x186
>>334830351

>thoughtful level design
a bare necessity for making a decent platformer

>good amount of content
yeah, and barely any of it stands out

>tight controls
something every platformer that isn't shit has, it's not a unique feature

>overall sense that the developers had fun making it
"pic related"

>fantastic music
some of it was good, some of it was decent, some of it was eh

>unless you're a sony only cuck
even the PS4 version had a few good tracks
>>
>>334816362
Prove to me it is fuckface
>>
>Make claim
>Instead of supporting it, demand other people support counterpoints
???
>>
>>334831205
I already have, it's a platformer that is more shallow than Super Mario Bros, and for the majority of the game, you don't need have any grasp of the game mechanics to progress, of course you will die a lot but you will progress regardless if you learn to play properly or not.
>>
>>334831430
What the fuck do want me to do, make a 30min video explaining in detail everything wrong with this game?
>>
>>334829750
>I am going to minimize the gameplay of a game in order to validate my argument.
I want neo-/v/ to get out
>>
>>334831604
You can say this about any platformer ever created.
>>
>>334833046
You're saying that you don't need to understand the game mechanics of Ninja Gaiden, Mega Man, Super Mario Bros, Rayman, Metal Slug or Contra to progress, not even with some of the obstacles having somewhat randomized movement? Unless you're credit feeding through Metal Slug or using cheats you're not beating any of them without a decent grasp of the game mechanics.
>>
>>334832954
>praising a game that is about as deep as Angry Birds for being an achievement
I want indiefags out of my /v/
>>
>>334833781
>Ninja Gaiden
Once you learn not to moving forward like a fucking retard and to memorize the boss fights you will be fine. Pretty easy game.

>Mega Man
The only difficulty here is to know the right sequence of levels in order to get the weapon for the next one. And to understand the reach of your jumps.

>Super Mario Bros
>Rayman
Pretty simple platformers.

>Contra, Metal Slug.
Barely a platformers, the difficult comes from the bullet hell genre, not the lame platformers.
>>
>>334834791
>Barely a platformers, the difficult comes from the bullet hell genre, not the lame platformers
the overlap between shooters and platformers is often so big that you can practically lump them together, since the skillset required to play them is practically the same

>Mega Man
The weapon sequence isn't that important except in the first game, and even then only Elecman and Fireman pose a big enough threat to the player for it to matter, and you're not even commenting on the gameplay

>Simple Platformers
yet vastly more deep than McMillens game which is supposed to take platformers to a new level

>Once you learn not to moving forward like a fucking retard and to memorize the boss fights you will be fine. Pretty easy game.
You don't need to memorize the boss fights, how retarded are you really? Still more thought than what you need in Super Meat Boy where once you learn to move forward like a retard you will be fine
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.