[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I still cannot understand HOW Yo-Kai Watch isn't a hit in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 12
I still cannot understand HOW Yo-Kai Watch isn't a hit in the west yet.

I don't even know if they'll ever bring the other games over.

What happened? I'm sure it wasn't because it was "too japanese", I mean in this current internet age that argument simply won't do.
>>
>>334806721

It was always going to do better in Nippon than overseas.

It's only out in Europe next week so give it a little more time to conquer the West.
>>
It all depends on the cartoon.

The game was out and selling avwrage for like 6 months in Japan before the anime hit and then sales went nuclear.

If the cartoon flops in the west so does the game.
>>
>>334807053
Woah, wait, seriously?
They waited that long for a European release?
The third one will be coming this summer, they are fucking crazy.

>>334806721
They need to release 2 here ASAP. I'm hoping for an E3 announcement with a push of advertisement, because right now, all they have is a TV commercial.
>>
>>334807187
Didn't NoA aggresively advertise the first game and it only ended up selling 70k?
>>
>>334806721
No offense but it really is "too japanese. At least once you realise half the designs are based on Japanese name puns (Like talking too much reading the same as long nosed, not even fooling)
>>
i like the setting of it a lot and played the demo but i found the battle system to be ass.
>>
>>334807271
Define "aggressively."
>>
Most people find JRPG battle systems too slow and uninvolved. Taking even more control away from the player was never going to be popular. Even moviegames give the illusion of control.
>>
>>334807441
Spending above the usual amounts of money to promote it.
>>
File: MURICA.jpg (501 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
MURICA.jpg
501 KB, 1920x1080
>the Youkai Watch game with America in it will never make it to America
It's tragic
>>
It's really not that great of a game. It's like Pokemon if they dumbed down the mechanics and added stupid minigames to the battles.
>>
>>334807505
Except they didn't. Whatsoever. They ran two TV commercials, showed up at two major conventions, and put the game in two Direct streams. That's poor advertising, if you ask me.
Also, Level 5 really fucked up with putting the show on Disney XD instead of Cartoon Network. There was more than enough space in the blocking schedule for it.
Long story short: Not enough support from both companies.
>>
I dunno about the games themselves, but the merchendise seems pretty popular. My little cousin and his friends are obsessed with that shit.
>>
I've watched some of the anime on Disney XD. It's alright. Katie is a top tier loli though, and loli isn't even something I'm interested in.

I want a Komasan toy.
>>
>>334806721
>marketed toward the 5-10 y/o market in the west
>not on mobile
well there's your problem
>>
File: 1434484774736.jpg (127 KB, 700x678) Image search: [Google]
1434484774736.jpg
127 KB, 700x678
semen demons
>>
>>334807750
Except it is. Wibble Wobble is pretty popular, apparently.
>>
>>334806721
looks too much like pokemon

americans are very, very focused on ripoffs or unoriginality and don't accept similar ideas

that's why being creative is a fucking nightmare over here, someone will see something similar and start screeching RIPOFF RIPOFF RIPOFF
>>
I love how Yo-Kai flopped hard in the West.
>IT'S LE POKEMON KILLER
>>
>>334807510
I wanna fuck the notepad loli
>>
>>334807758
Literal?
>>
because it's a shit game with shit monster designs?
>>
>>334807169
Cartoon is the same shit level as the new doremon
>>
File: 1450971655161.jpg (187 KB, 603x782) Image search: [Google]
1450971655161.jpg
187 KB, 603x782
>>334807893
>Heart motif
>Perpetual bedroom eyes
If they aren't they sure as fuck fooled me
>>
how about it's boring shit?
>>
>>334807510
>"Like I give a fuck," Bathtub Girl
>>
>>334807967
Reminder: it's canon that these are boys
>>
>watched the anime when it first came out, thought it looked pretty aight
>have to wait 4 months longer than every other country because europe
>>
I saw a commercial for this. I thought it was the next bakugan.
>>
File: 1437699966405.jpg (1 MB, 1774x2427) Image search: [Google]
1437699966405.jpg
1 MB, 1774x2427
>>334808051
It's Level-5, of course they're boys.
>>
>>334807187
>The third one will be coming this summer, they are fucking crazy.

To be honest, I doubt they'll translate and localise it. The 3DS has been out for years and when you think how long it took them to localise the first one, the 3DS may well be irrelevant by the time they release 3 in the West
>>
File: yokai watch cat.png (3 MB, 1316x1964) Image search: [Google]
yokai watch cat.png
3 MB, 1316x1964
>Yo-Kai Watch thread
Obligatory :^)
>>334808068
>hurr i'm too retarded to set up cfw and play the USA cia
>hurr i buy 3ds games in 2016
>>
Because it's a shit game and nips have horrible taste.

Also this game is aimed at even younger audiences than Pokemon's target audience, and those kiddies only play on their mom's tablet/phone
>>
Yu-gi oh, Bagukan, Bayblade, monsuno ect. tier garbage
>>
File: 1423827960286.gif (992 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1423827960286.gif
992 KB, 500x281
>>334806721
In Japan, its main audience are the kids.
The western kids prefer Minecraft and mobile garbage. They don't need handhelds.
Pokemon will forever thrive on nostalgia-driven manchildren who refuse to let go.
>>
>>334808294
>lol you don't need to know japanese to play these baby games!!!
>>
many reasons but above all else, the monster designs are retarded and pokemon already exists
>>
File: 53118726_p3.png (263 KB, 598x857) Image search: [Google]
53118726_p3.png
263 KB, 598x857
>>334806721
They brought over 1 which doesn't even have fucking online.

Shouldve just skipped to 2.
>>
>>334806721
I asked a question, you're deflecting it towards me because you're fucking weak. It doesn't matter how much you work or go to school and it never will, you were born weak and you will die weak. Me, I had a period of my life I fell off, yeah. But I'm taking control. You know why? Because I can. I can surprass you with no fucking effort. Just because I chose to live the way I have doesn't mean I'm stuck there forever. I made those choices and I'm making the choice to stop letting other people run away with whatever illusion of power I've instilled upon them. I am greater than you and always will be. So don't come at me sideways thinking you're fucking sweet or something. Taking shots cause I'm in Florida when you couldn't say a word to me when I was home. It is my concern and it will be my concern. Fall Back.
>>
>>334807675
That's better than the usual though. Hell, I don't live in NA, but it's the first I've ever seen a Nintendo game advertised here, in a newspaper, a tabloid, and a commercial.
>>
>>334808051
i didnt think my dick could get any harder
>>
It's not as fun as Pokémon and like others have said the Japanese influence is far too strong. The yokai aren't monsters in the traditional sense, many of them are weird old fucks or random inanimate objects. I know Pokemon has plenty of the latter now but it wasn't that way at the beginning.
>>
Honestly it's sad how much they tried to promote it.

There are even toys here in stores which is kind of dumb because you should be selling toys when you know that there is a big install base for the merchandise. yokai watch never really had that in NA.
>>
>>334806721
It's a shame it looked more interesting than Pokemon too.
>>
File: doraemon.png (402 KB, 839x471) Image search: [Google]
doraemon.png
402 KB, 839x471
Doraemon flopped in the West too. Which is a real shame.
>>
>>334808897
as someone who loves that series back then, I really didn't see how this IP would have taken off in the West.

There was just too much cultural barriers to this one. It only works in the Asian provinces.
>>
>>334808897
That's a fucking travesty.
Doraemon was my childhood. But seeing how old it was when it was released in the west I'm not surprised.
>>
The appeal is more in the setting, characters and writing than the gameplay. Murricans don't read video game text, plus the contrived pun translations ruin the comedy.
>>
How many views does the Yokai dance video on youtube have now?
>>
>>334809978
123.4 million
>>
>>334808897
Maybe they shouldn't have waited fucking 40 years to bring the franchise over.
>>
>>334806721
>", I mean in this current internet age that argument simply won't do.
How does this make any sense? The internet doesn't stop cultures from finding another culture's media unappealing or offensive. And it being too Japanese is a reason for its failure in the west.
>>
File: El.jpg (155 KB, 1020x566) Image search: [Google]
El.jpg
155 KB, 1020x566
>Mfw modern kids have to grow up with this ugly trash as their Pokemon equivalent

Poor bastards
>>
>>334806721
The designs are shit.

>B-B-But that's how they're supposed to look like!

Yokai are ugly, so it puts most people off.
>>
>>334810641
>making ur kids grow up with autistic shows for autistic children made by an autistic man

ok
>>
>>334810802
Your right. I get that they are puns and look like that on purpose, but they just aren't appealing to look at. People I know who would actually be interested in this don't like it because the monsters are ugly.

For the most part they really really are. They mostly don't look cute, cool, or tough. They're just ugly looking puns we don't even get over here.
>>
File: 1376719742836.jpg (36 KB, 317x265) Image search: [Google]
1376719742836.jpg
36 KB, 317x265
>Some heinous shit happens
I BET THE YOKAIS DID IT

>even the ghost starts wondering if its not a bit prejudiced to think the yokai are behind everything
>the yokai actually are behind everything

it would be a hit if they just fixed the fucking mouth flap animation/syncing
>>
>>334806721
the game actually plays like shit
>>
>>334808294
I want more cats Jiba is best cat.
>>
>>334811226
I watch the JP version, fits better, plus the yokais don't always do it, but that only takes like 80 eps to happen.
>>
>pic related videogame by Platinum games never ever
>>
>>334806721
Most children don't give a shit about handhelds anymore, so that leaves the little nerds and here we have the problem that it's just too obscure for your average western kid.

Pokemon mostly used animals and slapped a special power on them, everyone could get behind that.
These are all japanese folklore creatures/ghosts nobody has ever heard of if he isn't a weeb.
>>
>>334809198
>It only works in the Asian provinces

Mostly Japan. The art style is too off-putting for most of the other SEAs. Can't speak for Australia though, too far.

Not to mention Pokemon is fucking huge in SEA.
>>
>>334807505
>YW got all the advertising
>When Little Battlers eXperience is literally Custom Robo and deserved the advertising

Fucking Level 5.
>>
>>334811505
It's pretty popular in many asian countries. Taiwan, China, Hong Kong, Korea etc. I was born in Hong Kong so I see the merchandise everywhere in those countries too.
>>
>>334811505
You serious? I live in SEA, and everybody, EVERYBODY, grew up on Doraemon.
>>
>>334807675

They wanted to put it on Cartoon Network

But Cartoon Network already has Pokemon and they are stingy assholes that want to use up any space they have for their own cartoons nobody likes

It's bad enough tnose fuck heads cut off Toonami by 3 hours
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.