[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>dad comes in room while im playing smash >he never cares
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
>dad comes in room while im playing smash
>he never cares about my vidya but has been trying to be nicer recently
>"hey anon, so whats that new game you ordered?"
>its bravely second collectors edition
>make a nervous facial expression "w-why would you ask that?"
>"cause i want to play it!"
>"no you dont", nervous laugh
> he laughs too and walks away, probably crushed that i just shot him down when he was just trying to show interest
he is probably never going to show interest again now, but i only feel bad cause it probably hurt his feelings
i feel awful /v/, what do i do?
>>
>>334799638
why not play smash with him
>>
>>334799638
Hug your father and show him you love him, show interest in what he does, meet him halfway.

Do it now that you can
>>
Try playing Smash with him.
>>
Ok I'll bite.
>Playing Mgs4
>Dad comes in without me noticing
>He stares for a good while
>Asks what movie I'm watching
>I say it's a video game
>he walks away without saying anything
Closest my dad ever came to being interested in vidya. Just find something you both enjoy, no need to force him to like your shit.
>>
Play pretend with him
>>
>>334799830
after this altercation i walked out to the living room and updated him on some restaurant plans we had and made plans to eat saturday, and told him thank you for groceries... he is 62 and hates video games i think hes doing it more to make me happy and feel better about my interests
>>
>>334799638
why did you tell him he couldn't play it? what the fuck anon?
>>
>>334799638
>"no you don't"

you should probably kill yourself
>>
>>334799638
Damn he's in for the most boring rpg series in a while. There's no chance for him
>>
>>334799638
Play good games
>>
File: 1441631640260.jpg (60 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
1441631640260.jpg
60 KB, 582x600
>be playing rdr
>dad comes over to pick up something
>sees game on the tv
>"why you still playing kids games?"
>uncle walks in laughing
>"he's just like that sheldon haha"
>"you should grow up, only kids play games"
>>
>>334799638
>"no you dont", nervous laugh
You're fucking stupid, aren't you
>>
>>334801334
help me v
>>
>>334800532
>older generations have different values
>anyone's understanding of a hobby/culture/etc. they haven't personally researched will be limited to watered-down media portrayal

They only win if it gets you salty.
>>
>>334799638
Be happy that you have family living. Dad passed this time last year and I regret not spending more time. Really sucks anons, don't take it for granted. If they can't get into your hobby, try getting into one of theirs. Just do it.
>>
Find a game you have that he might enjoy. Go to him and say you think this would be more fun and play it with him.
>>
my dad used to play mario 64 and sunshine with me, it was so much fun

until he beat me up and stole the consoles
>>
>>334800532
>he's like that sheldon haha
:(
>>
File: 1454663598905.png (79 KB, 291x343) Image search: [Google]
1454663598905.png
79 KB, 291x343
>dad got me into vidya
>does nothing but waste his time playing weeaboo games on his Vita all fucking day while he gets cucked by my whore mother
>has never played video games with me once in my entire life
Just play with me for once, dad.
>>
File: 1456701665433.jpg (64 KB, 500x315) Image search: [Google]
1456701665433.jpg
64 KB, 500x315
>>334799638

get some other game and play with your father while you can, you fucking dick
>>
I used to play smash with my dad all the fucking time, shit was cash
>>
My dad recently found his DS in the back of his closet. He thought mom had thrown it out or something. That gleam in his eye as he plugged in the recharger to play his murder mystery game...

I suggested the Ace Attorney series to him. We'll see if he takes me up on my suggestion.
>>
>Early 80s, I ain't even born yet
>Dad's a biker
>Loses control of the bike one time, crashes into a tree, fucks his foot up a bit
>Fast forward to the early 90s
>Me and big bro playing Road Rash 2 on the Mega Drive
>Dad comes in and wants to play, too.
>Keeps misjudging the turns, hitting cars animals, roadsigns, etc
>Gets a bit frustrated
>Big bro says "Jesus Christ, Dad, no wonder you wrapped yourself round a fucking tree"
>Dad snaps
>Throws the controller at the wall
>Grounds my brother for swearing and shittalking
>Storms downstairs and into our garden
>Punts our neighbours' cat

He preferred golf games.
>>
>>334799638
You should probably engage with your dad in some way. Hard to give great advice without knowing your circumstances but chances are doing any activity with your dad would make him happy. It really doesn't matter too much what it is.
>>
>>334799638
If he's showing interest, find a game he likes. Something multiplayer, or at the very least something that he can participate in. It may take a few tries, and it may surprise you. Hell, my dad walked on on me playing Limbo one time during my first playthrough. 4 hours later we'd beaten it together.

Do it while you can. And for the love of god, don't mock him for trying to take interest.
>>
>>334808409
The DS is a goldmine for casual older people.
>Ace Attorney
>Professor Layton
>999
>Hotel Dusk
>Another Code
>Touch Detective
>Ghost Trick
>Mystery Case Files
>Time Hollow
>>
>Have healthy relationship with parents.
>Entertaining cousin with vidya.
>Have to leave to walk dog for a bit.
>Ask mother to entertain both kids instead of just one by playing game.
>She tells me she won't.
>Ask again, saying it'd probably mean a lot to him.
>She just glares at me like I called her a whore.

She never played with me either when I was growing up.
>>
ask your dad if he wants to go fishing you fucking retard
>>
>dad is nearly 50 years old
>he's kinda dumb with technology, he even fails to configure the tv settings, and never touched a computer keyboard
>he likes to watch me play and gives me "advice" on what he thinks it's cool to watch, such performing fatality chains in mortal kombat or "simple" stuff like beating Megaman X without the buster and special weapons only
>He loves the parts where the character gets a visible upgrade such as a new weapon or the health bar gets larger, or when you hit that sweet 9999 damage in an jrpg, despite the fact he doesn't understand jack shit of english
>since I transitioned into PC games, when he got freetime I hand over the headphones to him and play silent, and make sure to make a lot of noise with explosions or special effects since he's kinda deaf
>I feel like a goddamn superhero when playing games, even when I lose

>
>>
>week off from uni
>play sm4sh in the living room since at the time it was the nicest TV in the house
>remember pit has that palutena guidance thing
>mum in the room
>try it out vs megaman because i like megaman
>"HEY LOOK, IT'S MEGAMAN!"
>mum looks over
>instant regret
>"I hope he busts out his Mega Buster~"
>cringing too hard to do anything
>they start naming the attacks
>quickly finish the match completely embarrassed and plug the wii u back into my at the time shitty TV in my room
>>
>>334811778
>megaman

Literally underage
>>
>>334812059
Who do you like, anon?
>>
>>334812059
>megaman
>underage

Next you'll say only kids play as pac-man and game&watch
>>
play a cool manly game in front of him, like Devil May Cry 3, MGS3, or Dark Souls.

My dad fucking loved seeing me play through those.
>>
>Dad walks into room
>"you doing alright son"
>visible sadness in his eyes seeing his boy waste his life on video games
>>
dad ded yo
>>
>>334799638

>Blizzard comes in server while im playing Nost
>he never cares about my private server but has been trying to be meaner recently
>"hey anon, so whats that old game you ordered?"
>its a well scripted vanilla WoW server
>make a nervous facial expression "w-why would you ask that?"
>"cause i want to kill it!"
>"you think you do but you don't", nervous laugh
> I laugh too and walk away, crushed that he just shut it down when I was just trying to show interest in legacy servers
>>
>Dad marries rich idiot who is basically angelica from the rugrats.
>Lets her yell at him and run his life cause he has no self esteem and she pays all his bills.
>have me, and brother. Let her yell at us and run our lives and remind us how lucky we to have such a nice person who cares about us so much when she hurts us.
>she starts crying and he gives me a lecture if I don't do what she wants or if I stand up to her yelling or don't say something I should have said etc.
>if I want to do something like play vidya or D&D they just wave it off
>spend life before video games and smoking pot sitting around reading the same mad magazines over and over and cutting myself when the pain became too much.
>After 30 years of trying to find a way to say they're hurting me without them hearing "You're terrible people and I think you don't love me" just give up, stop taking their money, and live life without them.

If your dad is making an attempt to play with you more and be a better dad, you should. Not everyone has the self awareness.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.