[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what killed it? Or was it inevitable? Could it be saved?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: quakelive.jpg (93 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
quakelive.jpg
93 KB, 460x215
So what killed it? Or was it inevitable? Could it be saved?
>>
File: unreal tournament 4.jpg (273 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
unreal tournament 4.jpg
273 KB, 1920x1080
>implying i want to pay money for something that was free at some point
>>
File: overwatch.jpg (112 KB, 935x478) Image search: [Google]
overwatch.jpg
112 KB, 935x478
too fast and too little RNG for the MOBA generation.

watch as overwatch takes over
>>
Sometimes it wasn't Quake enough
Other times it was too much Quake
>>
>>334745075
Is UT4 gonna stay free once it's out of the alpha and beta phases?
>>
>>334744931

Arena FPS are dedgames by design. Like classic RTS, there's only a handful of people truly into them

>>334745075

>1k daily player peaks despite being fucking f2p

Also on life support
>>
>>334745226
yes. it will use a model similar to tf2, where you can buy cosmetic items like hats and weapon skins, but the core game is entirely free.
>>
>>334745332
I see. Thanks for the help buddy.
>>
>>334745298
>Arena FPS are dedgames by design
but why? they're so much more rewarding and fun than modern shooters. and this is coming from someone who grew up with consoles, my first fps was UT2k4 and i only played vehicle maps. i've been playing nothing but team fortress 2 since it came out and i'm having a blast with the new ut.
it just feels great when you frag someone because of your skill (or a little bit of lucky guessing), rather than rng.
>>
the only thing that killed quake live is the old fags, they like to kick players and tell them to git gud and wonder why nobody is playing.
>>
Quake live was too fast for me and the match making was shit. I didn't feel like getting creamed by people that have been playing this game since the 90's every time i join a match.
>>
>>334746179
>Quake Live
>fast
lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq2Glc7hudY
>>
>>334744931
it's old and the kids don't think it's cool anymore. that's it.

of course id is responsible as well because they literally have no idea how to make interesting video games and figured changing the game for the worse was a good move.
>>
1.1k daily peak players isn't bad for what is essentially a game from 1999. Not to mention the fact that only like 1 dev works on the game and he can't even program.
>>
>>334745075
>implying you had to pay money
They told you to get it on steam when it was still free.
>>
>>334744931
No unlockables or drops (like skins) to sell on a marketplace = no one plays
>>
File: 2016-04-19 00_36_09.jpg (77 KB, 990x673) Image search: [Google]
2016-04-19 00_36_09.jpg
77 KB, 990x673
ayy
>>
my issue with the game was shit matchmaking, I couldnt find a decent ctf server to save my life
>>
>f2p game fails, almost dead
>to revive the game, the devs decide to put on a price tag

lmao, who was in charge of this decision
>>
>>334744931
Its not dead. It has small and stable community, its been liked this for years

Once you stop caring about twitch and muh esports and muh player cout and just care about gitting gud you will be ready to enjoy it.
>>334745860
Every weapon needs learning. Maps its hard to wrap your head around. Movement is an art of its own. No skills, perks, Xp or anything to give you a pat on the back or cosmetics that mean anything. Not everybody is willing to spend weeks losing in a game they will never be able to play with friends
>>
>>334747179
It hasn't hurt the player base, it's actually helped. Community servers are a thing now.
>>
>still no RtcW:ET live
>still no quake wars live
FFS, is the current year!
>>
>>334746936
is TF2 really that unpopular now?
how is valve gonna not make more games when their cash cow is bleeding out
>>
File: 18mil.jpg (93 KB, 800x578) Image search: [Google]
18mil.jpg
93 KB, 800x578
>>334747656
>TF2
>their cash cow
Have you been living under a rock? 25% of the money people spent on compendium stuff went to the prize pool
>>
>>334747656
dota 2 is the new cash cow
>>
not even /v/ cares about twitch shooters anymore. watch as this thread dies within the next 10 posts
>>
If only people didn't circlejerk about the "immense difficulty" or arena shooters for the last 15 years, maybe newcomers would give it a go.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.