[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What exactly was so bad about MGS4?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
File: mgs4.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mgs4.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
What exactly was so bad about MGS4?
>>
File: im good.jpg (13 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
im good.jpg
13 KB, 225x225
Barely no gameplay worth a shit. You had the first act, the first half of the second act and the boss fights. That makes for a total of 4 hours of gameplay worth a shit at most.

The game shoves codec calls, cutscenes and "playable moments" that are gameplayless (you running through Shadow Moses and having a dozen ingame cutscenes saying "REMEMBER THIS? JUST LIKE IN THE ORIGINAL GAME" and the retarded microwave hall)

The above wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the fact MGS 4 also happens to be, by far, the worst story in the entire Metal Gear saga. Not only is it complete shit, it ruined a lot of the story from MG 1, 2, MGS 1, 2 and 3 with the most retarded of retcons and changes in characterizations.

The whole "game" is a soul-less pandering to the most retarded of Metal Gear fans with no actual substance of its own.

But the absolute worst thing about MGS 4 is the retarded fanbase it spawned. People that now cried when MGS V decided to not shove fanservice down your throat at all times and had actual great and fun gameplay with a story you can easily ignore and skip.
>>
clusterfuck of a story that desperately tried to tie all the loose ends together
cut scenes that dragged on forever
everything about Johnny
>>
>>334691031
>MGS4
>KOJIMA LISTENED TOO MUCH TO MGS2 AND 3 FAGS!!
>MGSV
>KOJIMA LISTENED TOO MUCH TO MGS4 HATERS!
literally the George Lucas of vidya
>>
>>334691031
>total of 4 hours of gameplay

l love this meme.
>>
>>334690780
i was not on 360
people invented memes because sour grapes
kojima believed meme because hes an insecure faggot
he remvoved story on V
now we have a conclusion without story
>>
File: 1449930775538.png (261 KB, 561x413) Image search: [Google]
1449930775538.png
261 KB, 561x413
>Start thinking about how good MGS2 & 4 were
>Remember Vamp

Fuck that shit Jesus christ.
>>
>>334690780
that scene.
>>
>>334690780
Negates all the themes from mgs2 by stating the events weren't a vr mission
>>
>>334691143
What's bad about Vamp?
>>
>>334690780
If it weren't for this game Kojima never would've sky rocketed Raiden's power levels and we never would've gotten MGR so it's a good game to me
>>
N A N O M A C H I N E S
>>
>>334691190
>nano-augmented-power-dashes behind you
>La-li-lu-le-lo, kid.
>>
>>334691117
I love 4 but I agree with this.
>>
>>334690780
After witnessing MGSV, absolutely nothing.

Actually, there was a lot of cool shit in each Act.
>>
>>334691327
>there are people that don't like the BB bosses
only raven was bad
>>
Why are you posting a movie on /v/?
>>>/tv/
>>
>>334691105
Kojima didn't listen too much to MGS 2 or MGS 3 fags at all when he made MGS 4. I'm not sure who he listened to. He must have listened to some schizophrenic hobo on the street.

As for MGS V, yes, the story is absolute shit, but at least the gameplay is great and the best in the series. That's not to say it isn't perfect. I would have liked a better story (preferably one that retconned MGS 4 out of existence), more cutscenes and more areas with more depth. With that said, MGS V is a great Metal Gear game and the second to third best in the series.

>>334691117
>That makes for a total of 4 hours of gameplay worth a shit at most.
Learn to read, moron. If you want to count the prague whistling bullshit and the turret section as gameplay, by all means, go ahead. I'm talking about gameplay that was actually fun and worth the time.
>>
>>334690780
PS3 exclusive
>>
>>334691105
>george lucas

Do you even know what that means?

George literally got lucky on 4,5 and 6
Then he made 1,2 and 3 and didn't listen to anyone while making them

They all turned out to be dog shit despite people warning him it would happen
>>
>>334691402
If only they were personified better, instead of getting a shit codec convo AFTER getting killed.
>>
>>334691459
Know ho we now live in the era of memedom where "MGS 4 WAS ACTUALLY GREAT GUYS, NOT A PILE OF SHIT AT ALL, MGS V ON THE OTHER HAND IS TERRIBLE!!!"?

Same shit happened in /tv/, fags are now unironically defending Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones and saying they're better movies than the new one.
>>
>>334691441
>gameplay that was actually fun

Subjective.
>>
>>334691561

Because they were? They at least took chances. RotS was great, at least. You can't deny that. VII was literally the normie new generation poor man's New Hope.
>>
>>334691565
No shit it's subjective, dumbass. You know what else is subjective? You telling me your mspaint drawing of your nuts is better looking than the Mona Lisa, but I'd be disgusted at your garbage opinion all the same.
>>
>>334691561
only good star wars prequel is the third one

And while MGSV is a good game, it is not a good metal gear solid game
>>
>>334691664

...do you want to see my nuts, anon?
>>
>>334690780
Its PS3 exclusive. It gets so much shit because any sony exclusive that doesnt have PC release gets completely shat on.
Another example of this situation is Last of Us.
>>
Can we all agree fighting Liquid with Rex was the highlight of the game?
>>
>>334691816
>>334691031 here
Last of Us is a great game, Demon's Souls is a great, Bloodborne is a great game, MGS 4 is hot garbage.
>>
>>334691196
>waaaaaah it debunked my favorite fan theory
>>
>>334691956
Everything with Ocelot was god tier
>>
The installs.

Kojima fixed it though, and even added achievements, before going to work on MGS5.
Since the glaring flaw had been fixed I'd say its a better game now than before.

MGS4 is actually one of the last games with passwords to unlock more content, like the Thor pistol. These days those would be DLC to be purchased.
It also had the best Metal Gear Online, MGO2, which was eventually closed down just like MGO1.
>>
>>334691196
MGS2 was not and was never intended to be a "it was all a VR mission" situation.

Don't link me the Super Bunnyhop video. It's presumptuous fan-wank. "Code is literally spilling out of the walls in Arsenal Gear, that's proof!" No, it's just fancy high-tech holo interfaces.
>>
>>334691031
>Barely no gameplay worth a shit. You had the first act, the first half of the second act and the boss fights. That makes for a total of 4 hours of gameplay worth a shit at most.
Valid compliant.
>
The game shoves codec calls, cutscenes and "playable moments" that are gameplayless (you running through Shadow Moses and having a dozen ingame cutscenes saying "REMEMBER THIS? JUST LIKE IN THE ORIGINAL GAME" and the retarded microwave hall)
Autism. Its the 4th entry and the last, yes they will reference the other games.
>The above wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the fact MGS 4 also happens to be, by far, the worst story in the entire Metal Gear saga. Not only is it complete shit, it ruined a lot of the story from MG 1, 2, MGS 1, 2 and 3 with the most retarded of retcons and changes in characterizations.
What retcons?
>>
>>334692296
George never says in the video MGS2 was a VR mission. He says it's open to intepretation.
>>
>>334690780
Well there's literally more cutscenes than gameplay and some parts were clearly unfinished (See: Chapters 3 and 5)
>>
You just posted one of the worst characters in video game history
>>
>>334692306
>What retcons?
The team from MGS 3 is now the Patriots
The Patriots went from being a super intelligent A.I. that could be fooled by someone literally going "I'm being possessed by someone else", also, no personality
Merryl and Johnny
Big Boss actually being alive (HE WAS ONLY IN A COMA LMAO), Ocelot not being hypnotized (HE WAS TRYING TO KILL YOU BUT HE WAS REALLY ON YOUR SIDE ALL ALONG LMAO)
Vampire? Yeah, NANOMACHINES! Everything is nanomachines now!

I could go on, but those are the standouts.
>>
>>334692432
Exactly, presumptuous fan-wank.
>>
I want Remake for Fox engine

>konami release mgs4 pacinco
>>
>>334692569
With everyone dead by or left the system by MGS1(timeline wise) Zero literally turned it into an AI so it could help mankind in the future after he kicks the bucket

Though in his brain melting phase he made it kinda stupid and it got out of control

Enter MGS4 where in the end of the game you literally upload a computer virus to kill the patriots
>>
What WASN'T bad about MGS4?
>>
I like MGS4
>>
>>334690780
Not that much
MGS 4 is god tier compared to MGS V
>>
>>334691031

first post best post
>>
>we still haven't gotten a boss group that's on level with Watchmen in terms of characterization

My only dream.
>>
>>334690780
No Tomokazu Fukushima.
>>
I liked 4. Especially the bit after the credits.

Shoot me.
>>
>>334691645
Fuck off.

You're right about VII
>>
>>334693301
Stop justifying shitty retarded retcons.
>>
>>334690780
Not only was the gameplay stiff for a game that came out after Gears Of War and the like, it didn't even compare to MGS2 or 3. And the bits you were playing were so short and simple.

And it was so brown and washed out in every scene. Sometimes it would be green or blue instead but it was still only one color.

Also Johnny.
>>
>>334691231
N A N O M A C H I N E S

hell you can blame most of the bad things about metal gear on N A N O M A C H I N E S
>>
Boss fights sucked ass
>>
>>334692557
He's hot though. That scene where he tied up Raiden gave me tingles.
>>
I like MGS4 the best. /v/ isn't one person.
>>
Act 3
>>
>>334690780
This was the game that made Kojima start to put useless shit in the series. PW and V have quite a bit of extra fluff for no reason
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.