[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's /v/'s opinion on using strategy guides?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 4117942_orig[1].jpg (229 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
4117942_orig[1].jpg
229 KB, 600x800
What's /v/'s opinion on using strategy guides?
>>
I find them pointless in the day and age of wiki guides on your phone or tablet.

Last got one for Fable 3 for so,e fucking reason. Such a waste.
>>
>>334631113
as a child, I used them mainly because of the maps, and as a poor man's artbook.

There's no need to print them anymore because gamefaqs and youtube, and of course just make an art book if you got stuff to show off.

I do miss all the maps, though. Nobody makes nice, full-color maps of game areas anymore.
>>
As someone living in a house with shitty internet for years, guides were amazing. Read most of them until they got worn and faded.

After I got internet that didn't suck, they mostly became good only for the pictures and artwork.

Nowadays, whenever I see a physical guide in a store, I get confused that they still exist.
>>
>>334631267
>>334631509

I meant is it somehow wrong to look up the answer when you're stuck. Is there a certain amount of time you should wait before going to a guide?
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (31 KB, 506x285) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
31 KB, 506x285
>>334631113
I used to know a former furry loving faggot that proclaimed himself to be a hardcore gamer. When Skyrim came out I wanted to play just for a few minutes. He kept nagging at me like an autistic faggot to "read the guide". Clearly he doesn't know what immersion means and discovering shit on your own.

He had stackfuls of strategy guides that he got at Gamestop. Always bragging how he's beaten all of his games. Faggot try beating the games without a fucking strategy guide. "Ohhhohohoh. Look at me! I'm a hardcore gamer!" What a fucking faggot. I mad.

Glad I'm not his friend anymore. Strategy guides are pathetic.
>>
>>334631662
If i'm stuck I'll turn it off and go back tomorrow. If it's still to difficult I'll look up a solution
>>
>>334631662
when you aren't having fun anymore, not even the "gee this sure is a hard I'm burning with the fire of a challenger right now!" variety, then look it up. You don't have to tell anybody, it's just whatever helps you have fun with the game.

Getting dependent on them can suck, but there's no rule about it. I turn to guides when I hit the "did I miss something or am I retarded what the fuck is going on here there's no way to advance" wall. It's usually something retarded that I can't believe I missed, but I already missed it, so the shame would be there even if I never found the answer.
>>
Strategy guides were cool about 15 years ago when you couldn't look up any possible question with one quick google search and sometimes they even had legitimate secrets and cheat codes

Today they're a waste of money and I'm surprised enough people buy them to continue their existence
>>
File: the_crew.jpg (210 KB, 942x708) Image search: [Google]
the_crew.jpg
210 KB, 942x708
Play the game once blind. Play it a second time with a guide and min/max everything.
>>
>>334631113
Back when the internet wasn't the information superhighway that it is today they were great. In today's world though they are pointless especially with google existing.
>>
>>334631509
The bigger problem is they're expensive as fuck now. Used to be only $10 for something like OP, now they way $40.

Verses was god tier since they let their writers inject opinions and jokes into the their guides while making sure they found EVERYTHING.

Fuck you prima.
>>
>>334633086
patrician
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.