[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I play this? I'm doing a Zelda marathon right now
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
Should I play this? I'm doing a Zelda marathon right now and don't think I should play the during it since it's so different from every other Zelda game and last time I played it it kicked me in the nutsack harder than LoZ second quest did.
>>
>>334558667
You should play it is actually fun and challenging. It is at least better than nu zelda if nothing else.
>>
>>334558667
Absolutely. Great game. But it depends on if the marathon is a limited time marathon or not. Because AoL will kick your ass.
>>
>>334558667
I'd recommend it, the games a fun challenge if you play with a guide. Be warned tho, you probably will rage quit many times
>>
I love Zelda 2, just come in with an open mind. You can definitely make the argument that it's a sequel in name only because of mechanics are so far apart from the rest of the franchise. Doesn't mean it's really fun.

Just don't be afraid to consult guides, the one downside I'd admit to Zelda 2 having is pulling some obscure shit that was clearly added in to force players to buy Nintendo Power Walkthroughs.
>>
>>334558667

Despite blatant hitbox and AI issues, its still one of the better Zelda games. That is, if you care about exploration in a Zelda. If you only care about timeline lore and dialogue, don't play any Zelda before the N64.
>>
File: hotandspicymeat.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
hotandspicymeat.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
Death Mountain in this game is an absolute nightmare
>>
>>334558667

I recommend using a walkthrough. The good part of the game is the combat. Figuring out where to go is the boring part.
>>
You want to talk about hard? This game is fucking hard.
>>
Definitely play it, totally underrated classic.

I recommend you play with a guide, and you're gonna have to grind for a while before Death Mountain, but after that it's not that hard.

When grinding go find one of the Bubbles (flashing skull things that bounce around a room), wait for them to get close to the ground and then start spamming the sword on them. They can't move and just get stuck while you wail on them, and it takes an eternity to kill them, but they give a lot of experience.
>>
>not being able to beat the game without a game over

Shameful
>>
>>334559529

Death Mountain just weeds out the people who don't want to learn how to dodge or find upgrades.

Death Mountain is nothing compared to the later mountains with fire enemies or the caves before the final temple.
>>
File: daira[1].jpg (14 KB, 370x261) Image search: [Google]
daira[1].jpg
14 KB, 370x261
>>334559529
hi
>>
>>334559060
still not as bad as simons quest
>>
>>334558667
>should I play this?
yes.
>don't think I should play the during it since it's so different from every other Zelda game
yes, they're mechanically different but the game is still great
>last time I played it it kicked me in the nutsack harder than LoZ second quest did.
yeah, it was translated terribly, so it's incredibly obtuse. use a guide.
>>
File: 1394817179048.jpg (26 KB, 309x282) Image search: [Google]
1394817179048.jpg
26 KB, 309x282
>once you reach the Great Palace you restart at the Great Palace

Proof of a benevolent god.
>>
>>334560120
Great Palace was such an awesome experience when I first played the game in my youth. Different music, different tilesets, different enemies that were all out for your blood, and the boss before the final one was just fucking weird looking.
>>
>>334560120
>>334560272
I definitely agree, the Great Palace is an awesome last level. Those bird fuckers were just too strong, so I always try to run from them. I can feel my blood pressure rise as they chase me through the holes I made in the block pillars you have to pass through.
>>
File: link 3.png (145 KB, 1229x1064) Image search: [Google]
link 3.png
145 KB, 1229x1064
>>334560021
Like Tim the Toolman's Neighbor
>>
>>334559529

It's also the perfect casual filter
>>
>>334560021
I think the problem with death mountain isn't the enemy, it's the fact it's a massive fucking gauntlet.
>>
File: Wilfred-1.jpg (29 KB, 400x338) Image search: [Google]
Wilfred-1.jpg
29 KB, 400x338
>>334558667
Op, you can't have a Zelda marathon without Zelda 2. It's only considered bad by bads who can't adapt to it and learn the mechanics. The game has very solid design and is very under appreciated, being different does not make it bad.
>>
>>334561252

Those guys are actually the easiest enemies in the game to avoid. They always throw the projectile ahead of you. So if you just tap the opposite direction for half a second, their projectile misses.

>>334561412

Yeah, definitely. But there's still other places in the game, such as the third to last and the last temples, which are even more about 'how long can your MP last for healing?' The major problem with Death Mountain is that it comes so early when most people have 2-3 points in health. If you have 4-5 points in health, its actually pretty easy.

Remember to always kill those bubbles (flying skulls) in the first two temples for tons of quick EXP. And don't beat a boss until you have leveled.
>>
File: 1459701460007.jpg (29 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1459701460007.jpg
29 KB, 500x364
>all these people saying to use a guide

Just play the fucking game, it's not that cryptic even with the bad translation. Just figure shit out. There aren't that many places to look. Use your brain. Death mountain is trial and error.

Beaten it as a kid with my brothers. No guide, just the thrill of exploration and discovery!

inb4 I am Error. Not a bug, just a poorly translated joke
>>
>>334561710

I honestly want a new Zelda like Zelda 2 more than anything we've gotten since the GC era. But I'm also bias since 2D Action/Platformers are my favorite genre.

Thankfully we have other stuff like Muramasa and Shantae to fill that void. Oh and of course Metroid FUCK FUCK FUCK!
>>
>>334562889

These days people can't even get to level 4 of the original Zelda because it doesn't tell you where to go. You expect them to actually explore Zelda 2? They'll quit before even getting the hammer.
>>
>>334562889
Yeah, seeing people recommend grinding or using a guide just depresses me. The game's not La-Mulana or something along those lines. At any given time you don't have access to all that many places.
>>
>the japanese version set all your levels lower if you died
>so if you were at 8 hp, 8 magic, and 6 attack it'd be set to 6 across the board
>>
>>334565059
To punish tactics like leveling up attack a shit ton at the beginning. However later in the game when leveling up is slow, having to level up 3 times without getting a game over to avoid losing levels sucks hard. The American version is definitely the best one, for other reasons as well.
>>
>>334565215
>To punish tactics like leveling up attack a shit ton at the beginning

That's how you play the game though, why wouldn't you level attack a fuckton as fast as possible? Magic's useless early on, and the sooner you kill the enemy, the less time they have to hit you.

I can only imagine someone trying a run with max attack and everything else at level 1, and game overing at the very end
>>
>>334563030
The original LoZ is cryptic as fuck without a guide though. The game doesn't give you hints without you actively going out and find them. Not only that but some old men just straight up take your rupees. To quote Somecallmejohnny, I'd say that LoZ and Zelda 2 are really just best enjoyed with a guide.
>>
>>334565443
Zelda 1 is, but Zelda 2 really isn't. There's no reason to play Zelda 2 with a guide. The only potentially difficult puzzles are finding the last temple and the hidden city.
>>
>>334565443
I think our definitions of cryptic are different. Most hidden things in Zelda are hinted at somewhere in the world. Sure, not everything is clear, and some of the hints were fucked up in the translation, but in general you can totally figure out where to go. The game only gets bullshit in the second quest imo, where they don't even tell you that you can walk through certain walls that look just like all the others.
>>
>>334565443
>tfw beat all of the second quest without a guide

How the fuck are you supposed to know that blowing a whistle reveals stairs outside of ponds? I only found out because i tried to warp on one of those screens.

I bombed literally every spot possible before i found level 8, which was on a wall you had to cross a river via stepladder to hit
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.