[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Arena Shooters General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5
File: ArenaShooters.jpg (124 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ArenaShooters.jpg
124 KB, 1280x720
Soo are arena shooters coming back. i personally believe that there is a chance for arena shooters to come back. it wont grow big in an instant like Mobas. but one day i believe that arena shooters are going to be in the top 3 competitive game genres. Unreal Tournament 4 Looks promising. over the past 7 months a lot of work has been done by the community. Doom Seems promising but a lot of people seems pissed of at it for god knows what. from the open beta it sorta feels like a mix of doom and halo. which some people would not like but its fun and it works. the only downside to doom is the "Pick Your Load-out" Thing. your literally can spawn with weapon that you are good at and Tottaly wreck anyone you see (if you've spent at least 3-4 hours on the game).
>>
Does UT4 has an assault mode?
>>
>>334557117
Not at the momment but the community from what i've heard are working on it
>>
>>334557721
Good enough for me, I fucking loved that shit
>>
>>334557117
Try Dirty Bomb. Free to play and is similar to the assault mode (though its core gameplay is based on ET so you already spawn with weapons rather than picking up like in UT).
>>
Post your favourite map from each arena shooter you play
>>
>>334556294
Toxikk is great when people play it.
>>
File: reflex logo.jpg (262 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
reflex logo.jpg
262 KB, 1920x1080
>>334556294
only really play reflex these days it's just a better version of quake
UT is pretty good too
warsow and xonotic are good really like warsow's cartoony style
toxikk is coming along kinda slowly i think they moving into vehicle modes since UT kind of stole most of their thunder and aren't really focusing on vehicles it seems
Doom isn't very interesting and tries to please everyone and just falls flat, maybe console players will enjoy it, i dunno.
>>
>>334556294
How's UT4?
>>
>>334556294
>the only downside to doom is the "Pick Your Load-out" Thing

That quite literally makes it a class based shooter, anon.
It is not an arena shooter.
>>
>>334556294
Almost 6 years and we still playing.
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/specksunreal
>>
>>334560217
UT 4 is coming along pretty nice actually the only thing it isnt getting is the attention that it needs. Chaos Mode is coming soon and assault mode is still in the works. The game it self is actually really nice and balanced. but yeah not many people plays the game as yet. well ost of the Arena shooter fans are but other than that no one is playing
>>
>>334560653
i get what you're saying but quake live also had this feature in the game. but it still haxs that arena shooter vibe to it and it is in fact an arena shooter. but i do get where you're coming from by saying that it is a class based shooter. but i think it leans more to the arena shooter type of gameplay.
>>
>>334559649
Is reflex still alive. ive been wanting to play it but people say that not many people play the game nowdays.
>>
>>334556294
>but one day i believe that arena shooters are going to be in the top 3 competitive game genres
They're impossible to follow in Twitch.tv-style broadcasts, they'll never be popular like MOBAs and Hearthstone. Same reason why WoW Arenas were never popular competitively, despite Blizzard pouring millions into it.
>>
>>334562458
loadous and universal ammo didn't work for QL it just turned every mode with it into suicidal rocket spam which has it's place in CA but not anything else
>>334562561
yeah not a huge amount of players but it's growing more people should just try it out.
Maybe when it is closer to being finished they will have a free weekend which would really bring in a lot of players. the arenafps guys have semi regular duel cups and other stuff.
>>334562738
just follow by game on twitch if you're a twitch shitter
>>
>>334563130
Yeah athe only thing that pissed me of from QL is the universal ammo. other than that nothing was wrong with it. the load out feature kinda grew into me . but for the 1v1 comp games its seems out of place
>>
>>334562321
I think the flak cannon nerf was a bit harsh in the latest patch. The community seems to disagree. Am I just not gitgud enough?
>>
>>334563803
it works better in the new doom than in quake live since there are only team games and weapons are balanced in a similar way to each other quake is all different and you really want access to more tools
and deathmatch is a rocket spam shit show since there is no penalty for dying anymore
>>
>"Arena Shooters"

fuck this age we live in
>>
>>334562321
I don't understand why they're not done yet.

They spend so much time tweaking little balancing bullshit that can easily be done post-release, while there are only 4 finished maps, a handful of playermodels, and placeholder weapons. Oh, and no sign of monetization.

I mean the alpha plays well but I don't see what's taking them so long to launch this game and start advertising it
>>
>>334557117
yeah, it's modded but it's there
>>
On the topic of arena shooters, red eclipse is pretty fun although it's kinda dead and not super quake/ut like
Really a shame that arena shooters have died down so much, they're super fun
>>
>>334564358
The funny thing is that a lot of people longing for better shooters are displaced Halofags whose franchise turned into call of duty, just like all the franchise's before them turned into Halo.

I can't wait for this new wave of "Hero Shooters" to overwhelm CoD so that the cycle will repeat. And CoDbabbies will start whining about "the good old days when you had to WORK for your killstreaks"
>>
>>334564704
>the good old days when you had to WORK for your killstreaks
You mean when a helicopter was 7 kills and you could chain them together?
>>
>>334564373
yeah balancing should be done post release. i think Epic is relying more on the community to do most of the shit, and in every community in any game they would always want to balance the game out first other than spending time on building and finishing maps and making more game modes. but dont get me wrong there are progress on the maps and game modes but its just not fast enough.
>>
>Soo are arena shooters coming back.
How many times you have to tell yourselves to believe that. Bouncy retardy shooters are already a reality, there's a ton of them, and no one cares a slight bit about them, because they are hopelssly too late. Space Invaders is not going to make a comeback, so do those.
>>
>>334564704
yeah it's funny seeing halo shitters get nostalgic for halo 2 and 3
>>
>>334564373
There's like 7-8 people max making the game.
The rest are community shit, and every engine upgrade seems to break everything.

It's a shame it gets so little dev attention.
>>
>>334565008
OP here. i get what you're saying by this i really do. but what i mean by coming back was more people playing it. any arena type shooter game has almost no players on the servers. take warsow for example, every day there is only 4 people playing the game. what i meant by coming back was the game, the genre becoming popular again.
>>
>>334565129
Epic probably sees it as a side experiment. I mean, they barely have a plan for making money off the damn thing.

They should just sell it for $20 - $40
>>
Here's an interesting question.

Fighting games and arena shooters are both holdouts of older gaming: They're very demanding, have high skill ceilings, and require an investment of time to get good.

So why are today's arena shooters all dead indieshit, while today's fighting games are triple-A productions with strong pedigrees, active tournaments, and great media exposure?
>>
>>334565876
this is still a fucking mystery to me, RTS and arena shooters died a sad death, but fighting games somehow hold on by a thread
>>
>>334565876
Op here. i dont quite know man. maybe people just forgot about it and never looked back. big publishing companies not wanting to publish such games out of fear of not making enough money maybe?? there is quite a lot of reasons to be quite honest.
>>
>>334565876
Spics, nips and niggers are a persistent playerbase. Also, fighting games make for a good party game, regardless of tourney tryharding.
>>
File: 144248864512.png (110 KB, 275x326) Image search: [Google]
144248864512.png
110 KB, 275x326
If there's one thing I got out of the D44M open beta, it definitely appreciation for UT4.
>>
>>334565876
I'm thinking because fighting games are just more accessible and really really big names on consoles. While arena shooters just aren't as profitable as cheap shooting games.

Also arena shooter communities are really fucking cancer too.
>>
>>334556294
>Soo are arena shooters coming back
No. I get by on Quake Live and bits of Reflex. Would like to see /v/ coming together to play QL like before.
>>
So, does anyone has a list of arena shooters or a fancy picture with usual shit?
>>
>>334565876
I can't speak on figthing games since I don't play them. The popularity of Arena Shooters was supplanted by arcade military shooters and class-based shooters with some arena shooter elemrnts. The community is also really elitist and scares away a lot of newbie players. Arena Shooters have also lost their competitive appeal to MOBAs.
>>
>>334566472
You can make it by yourself. For added giggles, compare the number of developers and the average daily number of players. Most of the time the former are more than the latter.
>>
>>334565876
Fighting games
>Played on consoles, which means you've gotta play at local meetups
>Meetups make the community stronger and more unified
>Community hosts regional tournaments, which bring a lot of publicity
>Developers sponsor these tournaments, creating a symbiotic relationship

Shooters
>Played on PCs, which are a pain to transport and rely heavily on online play
>No meetups mean no strong community
>No strong community means no tournaments
>No tournaments means no positive relationship with the developers
>>
How Do i get all the characters in the new UT game does any one know ???
>>
File: screenshot.jpg (17 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.jpg
17 KB, 640x360
>>334567257
>No meetups
>No tournaments
pic related
>no positive relationship with the developers
Carmack and Romero showed up a couple of times there,and now it's organize by id itself (more like zenimax).
>>
I hope UT4 does cosmetics right.

I didn't like the Overwatch beta, but they did cosmetics perfectly. Basically instead of a random hat or accessory, the cosmetic is the whole skin/model. As a result every character looked cohesive and well-designed (unlike say TF2 where the cosmetics are mismatched and all over the place)
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 1024x768
>>334556294
>the only downside to doom is the "Pick Your Load-out"
Hello
>>
>>334567854
>Quakecon
Quakecon is an anomaly. Fighting games have dozens of big tournaments and thousands of local meetups every year. My friend plays Street Fighter and he goes to a local meetup (10-20 people depending on the situation) like twice a week. There's nothing like that for arena shooters.
>>
>>334568191
>There's nothing like that for arena shooters
There used to be,online play killed meetups.
>>
>>334568368
It didn't kill fighting games because fighting game netplay is centuries behind fps netplay.
>>
>>334565876
Here's my theory: when you're first getting into fighting games, you're in memorization mode. You read up on wikis about the best combos and feel smart about it.

When you first start getting into Quake is hard and the only way to get better is to practice again and again. It seems impossible that you can get an edge on your opponent, because there are no hidden techniques you can memorize, is just you and your enemy and whoever can outsmart the other.
>>
>>334568123
Read this >>334563803
>>
>>334568597
No, it's just that a) consoles didn't get good online until fairly recently compared to PCs and b) fighting games are way more sensitive to ping and fluctuations in ping.

Look up how GGPO netcode works sometime, it's actually pretty interesting how they handle that problem.
>>
>>334569123
GGPO works exactly how fps netcode has been working since quakeworld. It's just clientside prediction.
>>
>>334569081
There's some memorization in shooters too. Map layouts, spawn locations, timers, and all sorts of other stuff.

Also, fighting games rely a lot more on muscle memory. You can't practice hitting a moving target with a rocket launcher like you can practice a combo string. That kind of experience has to come from playing.
>>
>>334569332
I was under the impression that it has practically no host advantage either
>>
>>334568123
Bethesda killed it.
When it was f2p(for 6 years) a lot of ppl used to play it. After the fucking update I switched to UT4, is shaping up good t b h
>>
>>334569081
If your first move when getting into fighting games is reading wikis and memorizing combos then you're an idiot who isn't going to last long. Only shitty fighting games are based on 'hidden techniques' and aren't about outsmarting your enemy.
>>334569934
You don't have host advantage in FPS games either since there are dedicated servers, unless you're playing a console fps and even then its debatable if you have any actual advantage other than being able to have hacks actually affect the game.
>>
I already downloaded UT4 dawg
>>
>>334570073
>Unless you're playing a console FPS
Yeah, that's what I mean since fighting games are mostly played on consoles.

My original point was that fighting game online only got good this past gen, while online shooters have been going strong since the 90s. And part of the reason is because fighting games are synonymous with consoles.
>>
>>334570303
what do you think
>>
>>334570780
iz k
>>
>>334570780
I've been enjoying it, Its been fun running around with the impact hammer and just making other players explode into bits and pieces
>>
Reflex now looks like fucking Warsow. What a joke.
>>
>>334571486
Warsow was good.
>>
>>334571531
I'm talking about the dog-shit graphics. They put all that work into their own engine and then just took a shit on it. Game looks horrible now and I don't expect the player base to grow past 100 players online at one time.
>>
>>334570780
it's fucking great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_qxgDQdNVI
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.