[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are fighting games heading towards a new crash?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7
File: 1456112117720.png (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1456112117720.png
2 MB, 2560x1440
Are fighting games heading towards a new crash?
>>
>>334547638
>wiiu
>windows 10 exclusive
>mkx drop PC support

just let me play these games on windows 7. It's like they hate money
>>
A lot of you got excited for new releases with out ever having been good at the genre before and suddenly are surprised you are bad.
>>
Too many games + low playerbase + constant community split
>>
>>334547638
>Smash 4

Disgusting
>>
is SFV the only one with crossplatform play?
>>
>>334547638
Why does /v/ obsess over EVO so much but you dont hear a peep about CEO, Combo Breaker and KVOxTSB which are all vastly superior tournaments
>>
>>334548435
>evo has always had this big of a lineup
>The community is larger and more unified then ever

I mean the only things i'm worried about is Ki dying and the xboxone never seeing the light of a tournament again but the fgc is nearly as strong as late sf2 days.
>>
I don't see doa5
>>
>>334548957
not really, aside from SFV and the Smash games
>>
>>334548932
Because /v/ are all in denial casual scum that don't know anything about fighting games outside of top8 on evo
>>
the genre's been beyond niche since the 90's, bar a little 2009 honeymoon where normies threw hadokens for 2 months

bar smash, that shit is enormously fucking popular, it's actual quality being a separate discussion. if there's any gathering with videogames, at least one installment of that series is there
>>
Does anybody even watch MvC3 anymore? Does anybody still even play it?
>>
>>334547638
>wake up
>it's 2016
>no mkx pc support

WHAT THE SHIT. but seriously what is wrong with them?
>>
File: lol12.jpg (7 KB, 158x153) Image search: [Google]
lol12.jpg
7 KB, 158x153
>western fighting games
>>
>>334549084
>>334549262
>MkX sells record numbers
>Sf5 takes over fgc hype train
>KI somehow still survives with a diehard community for 3 seasons
>Smash is even popular on /v/
>autists still insist fighting games will die

You guys aren't comfortable unless the ceiling is falling.
>>
>>334547638
PICK. ONE.
FUCKING.
SMASH.
GAME.

GOD
>>
>>334549813
Should only be melee. Tr4sh is only there because Ninty pays for it to be
>>
>>334549343
The game is garbage. Bit of a strong following in the USA, but its mainly popular with low level socio-economic trash like niggas and spics
>>
>>334549343
There's a tournament of it streaming now
>>
File: 1391927584304.jpg (60 KB, 590x295) Image search: [Google]
1391927584304.jpg
60 KB, 590x295
>>334547638
>3 smash games
>>
>>334549793
/v bashes fighting games because they tried em once, got their shit pushed in, and gave up on the genre entirely. Stick with it faggots, once you git gud you'll never want to touch another game again
>>
>>334549813
man you must have HATED evo when it ran super turbo 2 and sf4
>>
>>334547638
Pokkén looks seriously dumb.
>>
>>334549907
It didn't save kof13 tho :(
>>
>>334549793
>>MkX sells record numbers
yet the playerbase dropped it hard
>>Sf5 takes over fgc hype train
it's a capcom game
>>KI somehow still survives with a diehard community for 3 seasons
people give a shit now because of the pc release
>>Smash is even popular on /v/
it's smash, no shit
>>autists still insist fighting games will die
they're clearly heading into another crash. at least in the west.
>>
>>334550054
>you'll never want to touch another game again
See, that's the problem.
>>
>>334550236
>clearly heading to a crash
Literally where. We have a stronger tournament scene then ever and I can't see anything like the great mlg fuckup happening again.

I'm not even going to acknowledge the lame ass "community dropped it because if I stop playing something everyone does :^)" statement.
>>
>>334548932
None of them have as many entrants as EVO. Japanese travel by the dozens almost hitting the triple digits. Yuros, Hues, Beaners, Chinks, Gooks, not-Hues, etc. are all there. It's the best of the best in the entire world and that's something to be excited about if you're comprtitive.

Other tournaments usually get 2or 3 Japs and a Yuro.

>KVOXTSB

KEK small as little local
>>
>>334550236
>yet the playerbase dropped it hard
lmao. i bet the actual player count is way higher than any fighter right now except maybe smash
>>
>>334549003
No one plays DOA5 for the gameplay. The scene gets dominated by a gay furry who was underaged just a few weeks ago and mains Mortal Kombat.
>>
Fightan will never die because it's the purest form of vidya competition. Just 1 on 1 combat with no one else to blame but yourself for failure. Nothing else is more satisfying in vidya than winning in a fighting game
>>
>>334550236
Fighting games are more likely to due in Japan than in the west. MK is selling better than ever while Japanese arcades are dying and Japan fighting game sales are poor. Japs would rather play RNG filled mobileshit than good games.
>>
>>334550727
Man remember when sonicfox took both netherealm games and doa5

Fuck that was a scary time. So many random batgirl mixups
>>
>>334550467
>>334550603
I think he means that the tournamets players aren't going to tournaments any more. I don't know, sicne I don't follow MKX.
>>334550993
The grand majority doesn't care about that though.
>>
>>334550467
Yeah, but the casuals are giving less of shit than ever.

Pokken selling better than SFV is just sad.
SFV cucking Xbox is poor marketing.
MKX is dead.
Everything else is far too niche.
Killer instict is the only game that is growing beyond the Hardcore audience, too bad windows 10 only is worse than PS4 exclusive SFV.

These developers are just plain retarded at the end of the day.

A fighter will always do better as a non-exclusive to reach as many people as possible. Tournament scene is an insignificant factor in this generation.

Establish your new game then pull your backend deal fuckery.
>>
>>334551137
That's literally the only thing to care about in a fighting game
>>
>>334551186
>Tournament scene is an insignificant factor in this generation

Just stop posting
>>
File: image.png (643 KB, 780x960) Image search: [Google]
image.png
643 KB, 780x960
>Marvel

>Street fighter

>Tekken

>Mortal Kombat

>an anime fighter getting recognition

>Killer Instinct in general

>a new fighting game with a familiar IP that merges 2D and 3D

>Smash

I don't see a problem here unless your that fucking paranoid

It's literally the fighting game names you all know plus newcomers

Also stop whinning, a lot of games for past the 1,000 entrants mark

It's fucking fantastic you fucking spergs
>>
>>334547638
I want to get killer instinct video-game but it's a stupid microsoft exclusive game.
>>
>>334551327
Everything is E-sports advertising.

Devs and Pubs are killing fighting games by advertising them as MOBAs.

They don't take the games seriously enough for them to stay alive.
>>
>>334547638
Never was a crash. Genre got more and more niche as arcades died, and stayed that way.

The entry barrier caused by the execution requirement is very high, and playing them alone is practically pointless. That alone already precludes most people from fighting games. It was never a genre that would've made it outside arcades.
>>
>>334551186
>tournament scene is insignificant this generation
You're bait tier now but ok. As opposed to what? Mediocre online connections that are being used for online tournaments?

Moba (kek) tournaments must be pretty insignificant too with their millions of viewers that the fgc would of earned had they not fucked up deals with MLG

Like, I understand your bizarre fear as a casual but I've played fighting games during the crash and the actual fun part of the community won't die.

We could just go back to 2

Also, MkX's community is still the largest western game on the market and until sf5 was dominating tournament draws.

KI survived long enough to earn that pc port so don't say it's cause of that.
>>
>>334550090
Not him but I actually did.
>>
>>334551352
>>Marvel
Bleeding players. No support. Dead franchise.
>>Street fighter
The US FGC was founded on SF. And since SFV's gameplay isn't a SFxT disaster people will still play it.
>>Tekken
Decreasing relevancy in the west, and Bamco's handling isn't helping. But, depending on how the console release is marketed and released I could see it getting a resurgence.
>>Mortal Kombat
Odd one out. Massive sales and constant support, and decent base, but with MKX shit dropped like a brick hard.
>>an anime fighter getting recognition
Because it's the only one that doesn't actively screws over it's western fans.
>>Killer Instinct in general
Yeah, I'll admit that this one is clearly the big underdog. Even if I'll never get to really play it, I'm glad it's finally getting attention and some success.
>>a new fighting game with a familiar IP that merges 2D and 3D
Console exclusive already massively limits it's reach, plus low players in Japan arcades. And off putting controls don't help.
>>Smash
Melee is an extremely rare case. Old ass game with a fanbase that's nearly as old yet experienced big growth in the last 2-3 years is insane and likely never to be seen again. And Smash 4 also has a big number of players, also continues to grow, and all with minimal crossover with Melee.
>>
>>334551550
>everything is e-sports advertising
What the fuck do you think are tournaments
>3 years continued support for a fighting game with small fanbase
>MKX just got 4 new characters a year after release
>Sf5 is being dripfed content
>Smash is still getting new characters
>all games still have strong and consistent communities
>anon thinks games aren't taken seriously enough.

Guaranteed replies.
>>
>>334548932

Because this board plays fighting games only on a casual level. Everyone knows that EVO is nothing but an advertisement platform as evident by Pokken and SFV being put on display at the forefront.

People like to shove on the "E-SPORT" is ruining fighting games mentality but as hard as it is to swallow - fighting games created e-sports a very long time ago. There just wasn't anything like live streaming or hardware that allowed for good footage. You will see rare footage of VHS tier quality but that's it. MOBA's rose in popularity because it had an even STRONGER platform to deliver itself on, and it over took absolutely everything.
>>
File: 1354064986890.png (53 KB, 180x175) Image search: [Google]
1354064986890.png
53 KB, 180x175
The only community I see dying are the anime fighters. Street Fighter is Street Fighter and Smash is Smash, they're easily the biggest population in the FGC.

After them are the NRS players which are fiercely loyal to those games, and then way below you have 3D/Anime/KI players. 3D only has DoA5 and soon Tekken, and those are pretty damn separate. KI is basically a smaller NRS fanbase, but it's the anime players that are hurting the most. It's the constant new game releases, re-releases, fucked western releases and continuous community fuckery (not to mention an already small pool of players) that is killing them. Guilty Gear is the only one that avoids most of them due to name recognition and thoughtful consideration for the west (no significant character balance changes between Sign 1.1 and Revelator 1.0, early "demo" with all the arcade characters, fast release between JP and US (and now EU) console versions).
>>
>>334552319
>lower players in Japan arcades
Source?

>inb4 that one click bait article saying it's getting pulled from arcades when everyone knows that only happened at a single arcade
Kill yourself
>>
>>334553159
Also helps blazblue is fucken trash
>>
They made another Guilty Gear? Jesus christ they just churn out games like it's nothing....
>>
>P4AU NEVER EVER
>>
>>334553159
DoA is a small scene compared to Tekken.
>>
>>334554042
2 years since Sign though.
>>
>>334554097
2.0 fucking never, more like.
>>
>>334555046
I was talking about it returning to EVO, but yeah, that too. At least there's hope of a P5A? Maybe?
>>
>>334555160
no
>>
Fighting games aren't going to crash, even popular then ever, but the games are being dumbed down/casualized to the point that there is no reason to play the current games where they need to. Tekken 7 and KOF are the only two games that play like they should everything else is toned down so anyone can play with shitty mechanics nobody wants.

I cry
>>
>>334554240
That's not very long ago...
>>
>2 smashes
>buddokai style game is considered a fighting game
>people still playing gg?
>mahvel isnt the grand finale

Snorefest, and everyone's going home after mahvel
>>
>>334548932
It's the Super Bowl of fighting games. Not everyone gives a shit about smaller tourneys and cups, but even I have normal friends that enjoy EVO despite not playing fighting games.
>>
what a bunch of shitty fighting games, full of casual plebs
>>
>>334549883
And you should stop being an autistic faggot
>>
>>334556362
While I won't say it needs to die, I'm expecting Marvel to be replaced next year by KoFXIV. It's had its run, but there's just too many things going against it now for it to continue at the pace it's going.
>>
>>334553159
3D just needs SCVl already, and finish the fucking game while they're at it, dont rush it out the door like last time.
>>
>>334556069
For a fighting game edition it is
>>
File: 1329720499012.png (4 KB, 302x237) Image search: [Google]
1329720499012.png
4 KB, 302x237
>>334547638

I'm just gonna wait for King of Fighters.
>>
>>334551118
Sonic fox is a prodigy desu. Shame about being a gay underage nigger furry from outer space though
>>
>>334548897
KI is cross-platform, and has better netcode than SFV
>>
>>334549712
nice meme
>>
File: CfbpoFZW8AA83wy.jpg (55 KB, 476x719) Image search: [Google]
CfbpoFZW8AA83wy.jpg
55 KB, 476x719
Tekken is coming baby and it's getting big! Namco still has to make Tekken X Street Fighter and the next Soul Calibur and Sega still needs to make the next Virtua Fighter
>>
>>334560529
>SCVl
Pokken basically counts since it was co-directed by SC developer :^)
>>
>>334564327
No it doesnt you pointy nosed emoticon
>>
>>334547881
Upgrade already
>>
>>334564480
Lucario is basically Kilik
>>
>>334564621
You are basically retarded
>>
>>334564621
nigga is u dumb
>>
>>334550236
>it's a capcom game
If being Capcom were enough Murcans would have played Darkstalkers.
>>
Depends on the future demographic

Believe it or not, Melty and Xrd is becoming popular with kids in my area, but they're probably going to get sick of it in less than a month
>>
>>334568208
>Melty
You too? The same been going on where I'm at but with edgy freshmen college kids

Melty for mainstage when fampai
>>
>>334568567
Happened already, not likely to happen again due to Neko shenanigans leaving a questionable impression.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.