[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Overwatch actually gave a shit about having complex, inte
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7
File: mollusk.jpg (76 KB, 736x536) Image search: [Google]
mollusk.jpg
76 KB, 736x536
If Overwatch actually gave a shit about having complex, interesting gameplay the mobility wouldn't be a single prepackaged skill that just takes you from point A to point B, it would be a set of things. Surfing, bunnyhopping, projectile jumping, grappling hooking, skiing (tribes-esque), walljumping, etc.

But retarded console kids can't grasp any of this, so we get 'Press X to teleport away'.

Did you guys know the general consensus in neuroscience is that humans' brains evolved to their unprecedented relative size and complexity because of movement? Simply because bipedal movement is tough and you need a lot of computation to do it efficiently. That's why we have the most efficient gait in the animal kingdom and can run for longer distances than any other animal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting#Persistence_hunting_in_human_evolution

Fun fact - brains in general evolved for the sake of movement. There is a species of mollusk which has a brain. It swims through a river until it finds a rock it likes, attaches itself permanently to the rock, then digests its brain because it has no use for it any more, being immobile. https://www.ted.com/talks/daniel_wolpert_the_real_reason_for_brains?language=en -

We're the only animal that practices recreational, unconventional movement just because we enjoy experimenting with new ways to move. Dancing, it's called. And ActiBlizzard gives us a button to press that just teleports us to where our class is supposed to be. It's all about the destination, not the journey. The fleeting satisfaction of correctly placing yourself in the best location without any of the forethought, work and expertise required to get there safely and quickly.

There is nothing but the button. Press it, monkey.
>>
k
>>
>thinking I'm gonna read all that shit

Don't give a fuck m8, I'm having fun.
>>
File: ௵.jpg (5 KB, 249x174) Image search: [Google]
௵.jpg
5 KB, 249x174
>>334497523
Wait, so there's just a button that takes you where your class should be?

The fuck, why even play the game if half the gameplay is automated
>>
File: giphy-facebook_s.jpg.gif (81 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s.jpg.gif
81 KB, 480x270
AssWatch
>>
File: 1460705622393.jpg (42 KB, 435x314) Image search: [Google]
1460705622393.jpg
42 KB, 435x314
tl;dr
>>
File: 1460395969359.gif (267 KB, 399x560) Image search: [Google]
1460395969359.gif
267 KB, 399x560
>>334499472
>>
>>334497523
game is literally ass
>>
>>334499690
I want to fuck that butt.
>>
>>334498523
Pharah has jumpjets DVA has a jet boost widow has a grappling hook phantom has a teleport and tracer has blink.
>>
>>334497523
Highest quality bait I've seen.
>>
>>334497523
I agree. As someone who plays a lot of scout and soldier from tf2, their copies didn't translate very well into overwatch. Moving around as pharah feels limited and rigid, you simply don't have the freedom like you do like soldier does. Movement in Tf2 has infinite possibilities with the amount of control you have with rocket jumping and air strafing, and you have the freedom of jumping when you want. It became really tedious as Pharah because you have to wait on your cool downs whenever you want to move around the map. Movement slows down as a result and the game does not feel very fluid.

Similarly with tracer, it doesn't feel like she has the flanking power of scout because of her slow ass run speed and how fixed her movement options are. If you want to get next to someone quickly, you have use blink charges to get close, which is pretty hard to do on a whim. Where as with scout, you have the freedom of moving into optimal flanking positions just by running there in any path you want.
>>
>>334500681
TF2 has shitty dumbed down movement from quake you fucking 12 year old I bet it was your first FPS.
>>
>>334498369
>>334499674
I'd call this ironic, but nobody has any expectations from modern blizzard fans anyway.
>>
>>334501456
yes their products and fans are stupid, but just move on. worry about stuff you do like, that's what i do desu
>>
>>334497523
This was actually an interesting read, thank you anon.

But the real reason behind all this is this new game design philosophy of "get to the fun faster". Take the Redeemer from Unreal for example. It's a one-shot powerful as fuck rocket launcher than can wipe out half the map if used right. Of course new players wanna try the Redeemer and feel the satisfaction of letting an ultrakill. But there's a lot of knowledge required: where the thing is (it's usually somewhat hidden), the timing for its spawn, etc. And even once they figure that out, it's not that easy to use. The first time you pick up a Redeemer you're probably going to die before firing it or waste the shot and miss or something, because there's even more knowledge required to actually use the thing effectively.

You see this pattern repeated a lot in competitive games. When Mortal Kombat came out, everyone wanted to be that guy at the arcade who knew every Fatality. When Starcraft got big, everyone wanted to get good enough to pull off crazy tactics. Even Gears of War to an extent encouraged players to become gods with the torque bow.

Now things are different. Everyone still wants to do awesome stuff, but nobody has the attention span to work for it anymore. If Unreal were made today, the Redeemer would be a killstreak reward or "ultimate" ability.

I dunno, it's weird. On one hand people want to be that awesome guy who pulls off crazy shit, but they also don't want to put time into the game and will go buy something else if they're not patted on the back within 2 hours of playing.
>>
File: 080.jpg (28 KB, 550x633) Image search: [Google]
080.jpg
28 KB, 550x633
>>334501807
> their products and fans are stupid
> desu
>>
File: 1454182568062.png (384 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1454182568062.png
384 KB, 640x480
>say that a character isn't supposed to be anything other than quirky and silly aka no sex allowed
>give her a decent ass along with ass amplifier pants
Too many people are calling the shots. Someone needs to leave.
>>
>>334502176
Quirky girls wear tights as well
>>
>>334502176
This reminds me of an interview about Bungie's making of Cortana. Apparently there were 2 offices of Bungie, one office wanted a super sexy Cortana and the other wanted her plain, and there was a tug-of-war between the two design teams sending concept art back and forth. But according to the non-sexy office, "The more we tried to de-sexualize her the more sexy she became".

Maybe it's something like that, they're trying to make her less sexy but it just isn't working.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.