[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you design good video games character? I don't have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1447281245989.gif (40 KB, 416x379) Image search: [Google]
1447281245989.gif
40 KB, 416x379
How do you design good video games character? I don't have any talent nor money.

Pic unrelated.
>>
Are you implying Sylvie isn't a good design?
Don't ever make a thread with her again.
>>
>>334451820
Appeal to as many fetishes as you can
>>
>>334452248
Weird. How is this not my fetish when it combined some of my fetishes. How does fetishes even work?
>>
File: delicious snack.jpg (15 KB, 250x228) Image search: [Google]
delicious snack.jpg
15 KB, 250x228
>>334451820

Fine, OP. I'll get rid of her.
>>
You don't design the characters first. Pick a story and fit the characters into it like puzzle pieces based on what you want your game to be about.
>>
>>334452248
Actually I can draw cute girl (not designing them to be unique tho), it's not very good but passable.

This may seems like a shitpost thread, but I'm actually trying to create good (male) main character. Action platforner with dress up like Tomba
>>
use your imagination!

What are good characters without a story? first think of a setting where something happens, something that drives characters to do things. Once you have a story that you feel will also expand and show growth for a character.Make sure you give your character conflict with other characters something that is going to make your character stand out and make them likeable or unlikeable, just something that doesn't makes them shit.

Start to build an ideal image for what you want in the character why they dress the way they do, what influences does the environment have on the character add these to your design. Then write down the traits. Write down the look of the character in great detail, detail so great you would be able to describe it exactly to someone.
>>
>>334452634
>male
Grizzled looking guy with stubble and brown hair. Make sure his voice is deep and gruff.
>>
>>334452634
Look at characters you like and examine what makes them work

A lot of it has to do with silhouette, color choice, asymmetry and unique traits and combinations. You don't even need very many traits, there are plenty of solid, great characters who are simple in appearance yet still memorable.
>>
>>334452342
Sandwiches have been conquered.
>>
If we're getting serious here then appearance wise you'd have to be more specific, but personailty wise, you should always have a few scenes where a character acts the opposite of how you want them to appear. No one likes Kratos as a character because his reaction to anything is to just get pissed and kill dudes. The best way to make a character looks tough is to show what kind of situations make them soft. That's called complexity.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.