[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So this is currently 40% off on steam, is it worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9
File: header.jpg (33 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
33 KB, 460x215
So this is currently 40% off on steam, is it worth it?
>>
yeah
>>
>>334450102
is it scary?
>>
No.
>>
No its a walking Sim and not scary in the least
>>
I bought it after watching Markiplier play it. Worth it even at full price.
>>
>>334450170
it is very occasionally scary. The real horror is the setting.
>>
It has the best atmosphere out of any game I've ever played. If you like that kind of stuff then go for it, but if you want to just be scared then do not play it.
>>
>>334450170
Not unless you're jumpy or really afraid of being chased. The story is pretty good, though. It's really more drama than horror.
>>
>>334450182
is it actually a walking sim?
>>
>>334450347
in that case I might pass, I was really looking into horror
>>
>>334450016
You can just watch a Youtube video and save yourself the money. Also the ending would have been much more impactful if the end sequences were swapped.
>>
>>334450170
no, monsters are annoying as fuck and you will fucking hate it

best thing about this game is exploring the world and figuring out wtf is going on
>>
WAU DID NOTHING WRONG
>>
>>334450471
hmmm i kind of agree but the ending was still pretty good definitely made the game worth it for me cause i'm a sucker for bittersweet moments
>>
But it's free
>>
File: 1453711827070.jpg (69 KB, 578x434) Image search: [Google]
1453711827070.jpg
69 KB, 578x434
I watched pic related play it. It was boring.
>>
File: 1422910773453.gif (655 KB, 460x426) Image search: [Google]
1422910773453.gif
655 KB, 460x426
>>334450016
>baby's first existential crisis
Sure, go right on ahead
>>
>>334450170
Only if you're prone to pissing yourself if a big spook is walking around that could potentially chase you. A big highly visible spook thus eliminating most of the horror right away.
>>
>>334450170
Body horror and a spooky fish.
>>
>>334450016
>So this is currently 40% off on steam, is it worth it?
I take it you also got the email saying an item on your wish list is on sale.

Anyway I think it a $10 game, so I'll wait. Besides my backlog is a mountain.
>>
>>334450016
nah. read Permutation City instead. it goes way deeper.
>>
>>334450170
nah. the enemies are just frustrating because they only exist to make you waste time avoiding them. It's impossible to be afraid of something that's forced you to reload twice in a row.
>>
>>334456206
This. I fucking hated just sitting there waiting for the enemy to do its stupid route. If they weren't so common and boring then maybe but just the setting itself made me uneasy and it was enjoyable aside from that shit.
>>
>>334450170
it's not so much scary because of ghosts
it's more scary because there are no ghosts
>>
>>334459868
The mockingbirds are kinda like ghosts aren't they?
>>
it's pretty good
>>
>>334450356
No there are puzzles and enemies, and some of the enemy encounters are actually good unlike what some people might say.
>>
>>334459521
I take it you didn't bother reading the files on the computers then or listening to Catherine, they tell you how to avoid the enemies, I was frustrated on my first play through but on the second I had no issue walking past everything.
>>
So, was anyone in here at the time of the ARG?
>>
definitely. think about it as a better alien isoletion with actually interesting mindfuck story.
>>
>>334451103
Play it yourself. It's not a game you watch retarded streamers play.
>>
>>334450471
Disagree. A big point of the ending is that for Simon-3 there is no swap. The fact that we never cut from his point of view exemplifieswhat the ending actually means for him. Cutting back and forth would ruin it.
>>
>>334450016
Was it meant to be a twist that you're a robot? It's pretty shitting obvious from pretty early on.

The story is okay but the gameplay is standard crawl around WHAT EXCITEMENT
>>
>>334470785

No, that gets revealed pretty near the start
>>
>>334466220

none of those things you said are true
>>
>>334450016

10/10 setting and story

Gameplay is nearly non-existent though, enemies are all the same and not a threat, cant even see them because of distortion and also there are no 'scares' to speak of really.

Except the fucking angler fish.

Also the philosophy is really decent, ive got a masters in it and i actually found it to be pretty mature and it goes a lot further than i thought a game could do and still hold together.
>>
>>334471414

For a walking simulator you need to have the story perfect or else what are you even doing?

But i do agree that it dealt with identity and persistence well.
>>
>>334470785
Is it a twist if it's revealed 30 minutes into the game and heavily hinted at? I don't think so.

There are no real twists in the entire story, in fact. Unless you're not paying attention.
>>
File: 1459715639322.jpg (53 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
1459715639322.jpg
53 KB, 403x403
>I watched someone play it, therefore it's boring.
>>
>>334465479
I started the ARG thread from FG forums
>>
>>334471836

> This

People annoyed by the 'final' twist are doubly stupid, it is demonstrated several times throughout the game and literally makes no sense for it to be otherwise. To not have seen it coming people must not have understood a single thing happening on screen.

The alternative are those who complain that Simon is shocked by it and stupid - well it also clearly shows that he has severe brain damage and his scan is only a primitive one. Its a wonder he can function at all let alone plan ahead.
>>
>>334472302

and to think you still havent gotten laid
>>
File: learn to use dodge and burn.jpg (34 KB, 600x313) Image search: [Google]
learn to use dodge and burn.jpg
34 KB, 600x313
>>334472573
is that an attempt at burn
>>
File: 2015-10-02_00001.jpg (116 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-02_00001.jpg
116 KB, 1920x1080
>>334450016
It's a great game, if you're a pussy like me who hadn't played any horror games before playing SOMA, you'll definitely be somewhat scared while playing it.

It's probably Frictional's best game (excluding Penumbra: Black Plague), it's fairly long (8-10 hrs), and it has a concise story tackling the subject of identity (which it does in a non-pretentious manner).

In short?
I'd say get it.
>>
>>334471996
I know people like to force the "Don't judge it til you've played it" meme, but you can absolutely tell if you think a game is going to be shit or not just by watching it 99 times out of 100.
>>
>>334473163

> 8-10 hours long
> scary

Have you ever played a fucking videogame before?

I love the game but its about 5 hours long and isnt scary in the slightest.
>>
>>334450016
Best game of 2015
Prove me wrong
>>
File: soma.jpg (232 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
soma.jpg
232 KB, 1920x1080
>>334473328
I can understand for the fucker in the ship, since he was more frustrating than scary, and for the robot chicken guy right at the start, but almost every encounter at least got my adrenaline pumping.

I don't know, maybe it has something to do with me sneaking around all the time because I was too afraid to actually progress sometimes, but I did feel that some of the encounters were genuinely scary, like pic related.
>>
>>334473448

F4
>>
>>334473458

The fish encounters creeped me out a bit.

But all the others played exactly the same that im not entirely sure what the actual gameplay was for any of them, i just always crouch walked around them - i think they were all blind.

The teleporters were the worst, they were so fucking useless and didnt make any sense storywise.
>>
>>334450243
This post seems so sincere I'm honestly not sure if it's ironic
>>
>>334473689

> Watches gameplay of a game i didnt know existed
> Liked it so paid for it to play it myself
> Didn't pirate it and so the developers get rewarded for making something good and will make more

Don't see what i could have said thats ironic
>>
>>334472516
>People got upset about Simon's reaction
I fucked loved the way you can hear Simon realize that the last glimmer of hope he had is gone. The fight between him and Catherine felt great
>>
>>334473328
>isnt scary in the slightest
Oh look another brave poster on /v/ who didn't get scared in an immersive horror game.
>>
>>334473820
lots of people watch gameplay before buying but people who watch lets players dont care about the game, only about the person playing it.
>>
File: 2015-10-13_00006.jpg (86 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-13_00006.jpg
86 KB, 1920x1080
The fish encounters lasted for such a short time, though. I really wish they'd explored that sort of predator-prey theme a bit more down in the abyss, but c'est la vie.

In any case, both the teleporter, proxies and the robot chicken have either no eyesight or horrendous eyesight, and if I recall correctly, there was one section where they kept throwing an endless amount of proxies at you down in a basement which only felt like it was padding out the game instead of inciting actual fear. But this is all coming from someone who was also scared while playing through the Dead Space series so my opinion doesn't go for much in terms of what's scary and what isn't.
>>
>>334473448
Undertale I'm serious :^)
>>
>>334473885

I guess with the WAU dead he would power down soon anyway.
>>
>>334450016
The setting is good and all but the gameplay gets old real quick.
>>
>>334474000

Not at all, dead space got me, silent hill 3 got me, even half-life 1 got me when it came out - even walking simulators like silent hills and slender got me.

Doesn't mean soma was scary, almost no-one thinks it was.
>>
>>334474226
Here's a wild idea... maybe how scary a game is, is highly subjective??

SOMA scared me more than all of those games you listed.
>>
>>334474375

Probably because you played most of them on normal or easy. I'll accept half-life 1 wasnt scary but i was 6 when it came out and it took about 2 hours for me to even be willing to go into the test chamber.
>>
>>334474045
was meant for
>>334473626
woops
>>
>>334474045

The first dead space and the ishimura level of the 2nd were genuinely scary though.

(Most of the 2nd was shit though, never played the 3rd)
>>
I wish there were no monsters. I tried playing it and I loved the atmosphere and setting, but I'm very jumpy and am scared shitless of things chasing me. I simply can't play it.
>>
>>334474594
>Most of the 2nd was shit though
why, i liked it more than 1st
>>
>>334474762
There is a mod that makes enemies ignore you
>>
>>334474854
No shit? I'll have to check it out, thanks m9
>>
>>334474594
The second one was a lot more action heavy, which I personally enjoyed to great effect. Dead Space 2 was still quite scary in its own way, though mainly due to the dimly lit atmosphere of almost everything, and because of the regenerator.

I just finished Dead Space 3 a few weeks back, it pretty much tosses the horror aspect out of the game and makes it an action TPS (though the first 9 chapters of the game are actually kind of scary, I'd advise watching the rest in a playthrough if you do buy the game).
>>334474903
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA23ex9KfdM
>>
>>334474954
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA23ex9KfdM
Thats exactly what I need. Cheers, really
>>
>>334474463
I played Dead Space on Hard. The third person view just doesn't get me as immersed into the game as a first person view. Jump-scares don't really affect me, and that's 90% of Dead Space. Being startled because something pops up isn't real fear. That said, I still really like the Dead Space series.
>>
>>334474783

The story was ruined compared to what they managed in the first.

There was no atmosphere at all.

It was just one big action set piece to another.

They also retconned the markers to promoting necromorphs so they could shoe horn in a series. In the first the marker has the information for necros but desires to stop them at any cost.
>>
>>334475185
Enjoy.
Personally I'd feel even more scared with the monsters breathing down my neck and I don't know if he disables them, but with their chase themes playing while they're standing next to you.
Don't let my ranting keep you away, though, have fun and enjoy the game, anon. Remember to access all the terminals and mind scans to get as much of the story as possible.
>>
>walking simulator
here's something cheaper than 40%
just walk you fat fuck :^)
>>
>>334450016
yes
>>
>>334450016
yes

in some tangential way, it reminded me of Silent Hill 2, in that both games have a grounded approach to a psychologically disturbing situation, and that it also managed to alter my mood

I think one of the best parts of this game is that there were no 'evil' sides to be found; just different viewpoints that were all rationally explainable

for instance, the A.I., which can be perceived as a hostile entity, is just doing what it thinks is the correct solution (or the next best thing) to save humanity under the current circumstances

it's quite admirable for a game, really, and this is by far the best thing Frictional have ever developed, though it's too bad that they still used the similar generic approach to horror game design they've used since Amnesia, though admittedly it's less aggressive in Soma
>>
>>334474078
only if you decided to destroy it

otherwise it just keeps doing what it's doing
>>
>>334473885
This, I also liked how Simon misunderstood the coin flip analogy. Judging from the discussion on the game it seems he wasn't the only one.
>>
>>334476670
I wonder if catherine just said that to comfort him

there really is no coin flip; the coin gets copied and the story follows the point of view of the Simon who still has a means to go forward

except for that moment in the end, which was done really well

>uploading scan
>upload complete by a hair
>YESSS WE DID IT
>...........um

Still it was nice of the devs to include the epilogue, which gave a sense of comfort, although ofcourse, from that point onward, mankind's ways to evolve any further are pretty much non-existant and they'll keep persisting in a static environment until the batteries die or the hardware or software break down
>>
>>334450243
Why would you buy after watching a LP?
>>
>>334477423
Coin flip is the analogy made up by the workers, not her. Technically there's a coin flip, it's just predetermined. Catherine is just tired of Simon's bullshit: she understands it well and just doesn't get how Simon is that oblivious to the situation he's in. You can hear the "here we go again" in her tone very well right before the ending chair sequence.
>>
>>334477892
Catherine is also established to be more of an anti-social pragmatist, though I personally think that she wasn't extreme by any means.

Simon's reaction isn't really that unwarranted. I still don't think there is a coin flip. All copies keep existing at the same time and there is no transfer of the 'real you' from one system to another; they are all legitimate versions of you that spring into existence once they're transferred and activated in their respective host or system

if one version is in some kind of fatal predicament, then tough shit for that guy
>>
>>334477892
Exactly this. The workers came up with the coin flip theory because there was comfort in thinking they had a chance to land in paradise instead of accepting that no such chance ever existed for the original self.

Catherine understood that they were bullshitting themselved but didn't have the balls to tell them so.

>>334477423
The only chance the arc offers is for some alien civilization to recover it. Too bad WAU never received a proper human interaction interface or it would have been the best bet for building a post human society.
>>
>>334479015
I never said that the worker's coin flip analogy is true, it's not. There's no coin flip as in random flip, there's no 50/50 chance for the current mind to be transferred, but you still can "win" or lose. From the perspective of the transferred mind there's a coin flip, and he just won, however the current you will never win it.
>>
>>334479015
incidentally, I thought it was pretty funny of the devs to allow you to determine the living conditions of the Ark's simulation

>tfw you wake up in a completely sterile and joyless environment where your mind wastes away from boredom, possibly for eons
>>
File: 2015-10-13_00013.jpg (567 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-13_00013.jpg
567 KB, 1920x1080
>>334479508
They can always just have a bunch of sex, or invent something (I don't know if they can actually do that in the ark) for leisure.
>>
>>334479508
Wasn't that just an early prototype?
Either way I'm fairly certain that the folks in the arc would have dev mode enabled and can just change shit at their leisure.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.