[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: BRINK.jpg (602 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
BRINK.jpg
602 KB, 1920x1080
What went wrong?
>>
Terrible gunfeel.
>>
It wasn't very fun.

It wasn't supported well enough.

It wasn't marketed well enough.
>>
>>334360325
single player bot matches
>>
>>334360761
>It wasn't marketed well enough
Absolute bullshit.
>>
>>334360761
Actually it was marketed too well, which is the main reason why it crushed people's soul instead of being yet another disappoibtment.
>>
Buggy release, shitty balance, bad maps
>>
The campaign was just bot matches, also guns felt like shit
>>
>>334360325
In their effort to mix singleplayer, multiplayer and co-op and avert the "lel you are all the chosen ones", the story took a back seat. So they added in some goodies in the map, like screaming civilians in the Container City, narrations of what happened two decades ago in the museum, civ chatter in unclaimed command posts etc.

That, and there were little maps. The city is big, at yeah the maps were "big", but there were few maps.

That, and the bots are dumbasses unless you're level 24 and unlocked everything, and even then there are moments where the bots go dumb
>>
>>334360836
>>334360940
So why did nobody buy it
>>
>>334360713
Holy shit this so much.

>gun sound and direction fucking top notch
>firing that revolver made me literally cum every time from the sheer sound alone
>but it feels like firing a nerf gun at a sponge

All of the guns felt like this. How is this even possible?

Also there was a myriad of other problems too. Clunky feel, trash pakour system, fucking USELESS AI bots, no free roam.

Top notch character customisation and music though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpsJYFdJnk8
>>
>>334361112
Because no one cared
>>
>what went wrong

Carmack sold id to zenimax.

Splash damage was collateral.

Splash damage gets absorbed into bethesda.

Bethesda tells them to print money and forces a bunch of issues.

End up with a shit game that is used as an excuse to delete what was left of original splash damage but keep the studio name in case they feel like using it.
>>
>>334360761
That game was everywhere before it was released, that's why it's one of the biggest flops of the past few years
>>
No competent developers on board and Bethesda
>>
>>334361112
Drowned out by the competititon. Either buy this or,say, Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2, Bulletstorm, Killzone 3, Dragon Age II, Ass Creed, Crysis 2, Splinter Cell, and many other known brands
>>
>>334361258
But what was the biggest flop in the last 5 years?
>>
>>334361112
People did buy it.

Then regretted it.

Then because it didn't have the branding of something like say CoD or BF it was immediately discarded. Just like titan fall.
>>
File: 1386043068446.jpg (171 KB, 1078x710) Image search: [Google]
1386043068446.jpg
171 KB, 1078x710
>>334361427
Spo-

>spore was a decade ago
>>
>>334361112
I know a ton of people who bought it.

Quite a few of them quit video games not too long after the release
>>
>>334361427
Duke Nuken Forever easily holds that title
>>
>>334361427
Watchdogs
>>
>>334361550
Nah, Douk sold pretty well despite the (undeserved) critical mauling it got.

I'd say Evolve is probably the biggest flop.
>>
>>334360325

will never know, since it was impossible to play with a AMD GPU
>>
>>334361658
watchdogs was a success and theyre making a second multiplatform one
>>
>>334360325
Besides various issue it was team and objective based game play, it was doomed to failure just because of that because people are fucking idiots.
>>
>>334361886
I fucking hate this industry so much.
>>
>>334360325
The NPCs were harder than the actual players on teams.
>>
bethesda pushing for release when it wasnt ready, wasnt the game shown at E3s and gamescoms before launch
bugs and graphical errors because they didnt playtest on ati gpus (fucking stupid, but no wonder- id and bethesda supposed to pay for it, also carmack shitter engine)
>>
>>334361718
>Duke Nukem Forever sold 376,300 copies, sales result do not include digital copies
Wonder what's the actual number

>it was estimated that Evolve only sold 300,000 copies
Holy crap-
> As of May 2015, 2.5 million copies of the game had been shipped.
>>
>>334360325
Shit gun upgrades (everything is so forgettable, none of the attachments stand out)

Shit maps, shit story, shit everything - the Ark had potential to be this really cool unique idea, and instead we got nothing more than generic gunplay on shitty maps

Shit class system, shit abilities, and the only difference between light, medium and heavy were the parkour abilities you got and your movement. But heavies were fucking stupid and not balanced since you could run around as a medic with an LMG as super heavy and wreck bitches

The artstyle gets fucking incredibly ugly and is terrible to look at after 5 hours

Remember the issues with all the GPUs when the game originally launched? The fucking lines and terrain clipping?

Not to mention the fact they killed support for it immediately instead of trying to at least salvage it to save themselves some credibility. They had the balls to promise that everyone who played up before the first DLC pack would receive the DLC pack for free, instead of charging for it - that was the only patch to ever come out, other than the patch that fixed the aforementioned GPU issues.

Can't believe I was hyped for this game
>>
>>334361658
It's getting a sequel, think they learned their lesson?
>>
>>334362089
you have complete shit taste man
I multiply your opinion with 0
>>
>>334362198
Fuck you, Brink came out when I was in 11th grade 6 years ago
>>
>>334362143
I think Ubisoft are starting to realise you have to let things rest for a while instead of milking the teat dry. No more yearly asssassin's creeds is a good sign. Then again, we got Far Cry primal which was literally a reskin of Far Cry 4.
>>
>>334362267
They don't seem to be hyping up the sequel. That's good. Hype ruins people, and people can ruin games. As for Primal, I'm gonna have to defend them on that one, since they did say that Primal is different because "it has dinosaurs". Right now the only thing that could affect the sequel is if another higher-up says "we need a GTA killer" again.
>>
>>334360325
shitty parkour
shitty maps that didn't encourage it either
8 levels for both multiplayer and single playerwhich was exactly the same thing only with bots
godawful interface cluttering the screen at any given moment
guns felt like toys
grenades made weak as fuck because muh balance
terrible optimization and even worse launch (game didn't work on Radeon cards for a while)
customization only marginally interesting
generally unfun to play
>>
I noticed that a lot of people are saying that the parkour was shit. How should they have handled it? Kinda sad that Beth wanted them to ship it out even when it was clear the game is nowhere near 100%
>>
File: 1460716220637.webm (3 MB, 780x480) Image search: [Google]
1460716220637.webm
3 MB, 780x480
>>334362728
Well, let's take Mirror's Edge for example:
The movement felt flowing and natural, and was accompanied by a varied set of character animations that fit all situations.
Brink was announced and released in a frame of time where adding parkour to a shooter was still a fresh and new thing to do, whenever the term was brought up in videogames, everybody's mind would immediately fly to Mirror's Edge, that managed pretty damn well.

Too bad Brink got that on every. single. level. even to the basic idea:
-Only the light class was able to parkour
-Weak as fuck, no health can't hold anything but the basic machinegun
>kinda makes sense you'll say, as you're supposed to hit and run away, or flank for the objective
>except not, because the maps are constantly littered with choke points with no flanking routes
>small, claustrophobic, feels like they've forgotten about the parkour idea along the way
>Heavy and Medium class are the only way to play
Also
>Only one single animation FOR EVERY. SINGLE. VAULT. OVER ANY OBSTACLE
>Still slow as fuck and an easy target
>No feeling of actual climbing and running whatsoever

Even worse than how Dying Light managed it
>>
>>334362089
This nigga here.
I had this shit preordered. Never preordered anything ever again.
Fuck.
>>
>>334363351
>Only one single animation FOR EVERY. SINGLE. VAULT. OVER ANY OBSTACLE
Yeah, I noticed that one. Think they could've pulled off a Mirror's Edge if they weren't forced to release early?
>>
>Can't shoot well while moving
>In a game about moving

I could've forgiven everything else. Also the art style looked good but the game did not.
>>
>>334361202
They actually managed to repeat the same mistake with Dirty Bomb, I don't know how they do it.
>>
>>334360325
Why buy a fully priced poorly made game when you can play an exact same game for free?
>>
File: 1447994879601.jpg (38 KB, 552x557) Image search: [Google]
1447994879601.jpg
38 KB, 552x557
>>334360325
>mfw the same thing that happened to Brink happens to Overwatch
>>
>>334364186
Hold up.

Wait a second.

Hang on.

When that game was release dirty bomb, everyone was saying it the best game for months on end.
>>
>>334364315
Nobody with taste even bothered playing it so there wasn't anyone to contradict them.
>>
>>334363613
Maybe yes, maybe not

But they didn't
>>
>>334364315
Dirty Bomb is both fun and a mess at the same time.
>Rhino's special is actually better than his entire arsenal to the point that you can snipe with the damn thing and it kills in like three hits.
>Have to spend money to play other classes that are blatantly stronger than the default three you get.
>Have to either spend money, play like 35 games, or luck out at a 5% drop chance on a crate so your character isn't without perks that are a basic necessity.
>Characters cost 50,000 credits a piece but you only get about 300 a match and the missions every three hours give you 1000 max.
>Hip fire is insanely accurate and irons are pinpoint accurate to the point that you can fire full auto.
>Can jump off walls but the directions it throws you are all over the place.
>Stationary MGs everywhere but the recoil and accuracy is worse than standard guns
>Fast characters are medics with 80 HP and a gun that requires them to be point blank to kill anything, but they're expected to be on the front lines healing.
>Any person with more than one health station is invincible barring someone throws a molotov or air strikes you.
>Every single area is either a wide open space with no cover that you need to go through or a narrow chokepoint.
>Spawn points are miles away from your objectives, but for the defenders they're breathing down your neck at how close theirs are.
>Planting C4 or repairing the EV takes what feels like years but can get taken down in seconds.
>>
>>334364230
At least blizzard is trying to do something to promotes the games. Unlike Brink where it just left to collect dust until the release date.
>>
>>334361526
Wow I'm killing myself now
>>
>>334364860
>Can jump off walls but the directions it throws you are all over the place.
wall jumps are one of the few good things in this game.you are just doing it wrong.i agree with you on the other things though.core gameplay is so fun and promising but they are just trying to destroy everything with the every new update
>>
>>334364860
What
How many hours do you have
Skyhammer is top tier and he's available by default
The 24k bonus credit you get at level 2 & 4 are enough for sawbones by the time you get them who is also top tier
You can easily play the game with an iron or even a lead card for most mercs since the third perk isn't a dealbreaker on anything but the latest mercs/arty
You get three different 500 daily bonuses for playing two games and winning one; and you get three missions per rotation, each of which are worth 500 or 750 or 1000 credits
Wall jumps aren't random, it's just a movement mechanic
You should use the smg on aura/sparks has more range than anyone save snipers and is NOT a front line healer
If your team has two health stations close enough to heal the same person in a game they're grenade bait
Spawns aren't that shit- except on dome, but the entire map is worthless
Stop doing objectives if you're not engineer

Legitimate complaints are only 5 maps, with the "new" ones being so shit they don't count, an execution mode NOBODY asked for, which is NOT suited to the game at all and a waste of ressource, a crappy loadout system that's preventing them from rebalancing old mercs, and redundant mercs (thunder is a downgrade from fragger, phantom is bad), and they killed heavy melee attacks
>>
File: 1449630391047.png (376 KB, 817x600) Image search: [Google]
1449630391047.png
376 KB, 817x600
>>334365831
>>
>>334361658
It sold like 6 million copies and was their most successful new ip
>>
File: 1424213048788.png (487 KB, 903x488) Image search: [Google]
1424213048788.png
487 KB, 903x488
>>334366576
>>
>>334362532
>kill GTA
Think about what you just said.
Im pretty sure Rockstar did that hard enough on their on with online. You could not kill your own game hard enough if you tried
>>
>>334369314
>Think about what you just said.
There's nothing to think about. Because I didn't say anything.
"kill GTA" is all from Ubisoft.
Did you really expect anyone that isn't a corporate dickbag to think that GTA can be killed? They could ban every GTA player in the world twelve times and the players will still buy GTA fourteen times
>>
>>334360325
Nobody playing
AI was dumb OR fucking gods that couldn't miss
Needed better polishing and balancing before release
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.