[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So i picked up Oblivion on the xbox 360, never played an elder
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9
File: oblivion.jpg (40 KB, 256x320) Image search: [Google]
oblivion.jpg
40 KB, 256x320
So i picked up Oblivion on the xbox 360, never played an elder scrolls before, just finished Dragon Age Origins so looking for a meaty long length game.

Complete 100% noob, what should i do?
>>
>>334312184
inb4 PC master race hurr durr
>>
>>334312184
The side quests and guild quests! Best shit in the game.
>>
You could be like me and as soon as you leave the tutorial sewers fuck up and not realize there was a main story line and just do side quests. It blew my mind when I realized there was a main story line.
>>
File: mYD8XKv.png (1 MB, 800x3176) Image search: [Google]
mYD8XKv.png
1 MB, 800x3176
>>334312184
CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY:
>>
>>334312184
Make a spell sword and look into crafting. Crafted weapons are ridiculous.
>>
>>334312184
whatever the fuck you feel like at any given moment
thats the reason these games are so successful
you can't play them wrong
>>
>>334312184
Max speed first
Also hit the skooma my nigger
>>
File: 1341630832637.jpg (23 KB, 515x515) Image search: [Google]
1341630832637.jpg
23 KB, 515x515
>>334312457
>All the subtle ruses in this picture
>>
>>334312184
Get a refund
Get pc version
Mod the shit out of it
>>
Jump fucking everywhere for that max agility.

Also steal everything that isn't bolted to the ground when people aren't looking, chances are they won't enjoy it as much as you'll enjoy the money you make from selling it
Thief guild best guild

Oh and the Shivering Isles dlc is great
>>
Get a decent PC
Get Morrowind for it
Play it instead
>>
>>334312776
Fuck this guy, Oblivion is fine on consoles and you get achievements, but if it ever freezes on startup on the 360 after many hours played you just have to restart the console and hold "A" when selecting to start the game, this clears the cache, or at least it used to on the older 360 firmware from like 2010.
>>
>>334312846
>Get a decent PC
>decent PC
>for a game from 2002
>>
> what should i do?
You should stop playing shitty games.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (118 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
118 KB, 1280x720
>>334313065

Gotta get that graphics overhaul son.
>>
>>334312462
ill be honest the crafting is damn intimidating. i keep collecting plants because they're everywhere, but i dont feel confident. is crafting weapons the best way to get good weapons. i just steal crappy weapons from the fighters guild

>>334312550
yeah im a rogue dark elf so my speed seems pretty high, but isnt strength more important, esp when there is fast travel

>>334312470
>>334312334
yeah with dragon age the main story is everything yet in this game there is literally nothing, i just found an old man who wanted some fish, then some mages were attacking people so i sorted that out. dont feel like doing the oblivion gate just yet, its too damn hard
>>
>>334313208
>shitty phototextured look is better than original
>>
>>334313208
>>334312846
>>334312776
game looks great to me, it was from 2005, character models arent the best but the environment seems nice enough. also i hate keyboard and mouse unless its a FPS
>>
>>334313360
>dont feel like doing the oblivion gate just yet, its too damn hard
It ain't gonna get easier.
>>
>>334312184
Don't listen to the nostalgia nerds who keep crying about Morrowind, it's a solid game.

Explore and talk to people, forget about focusing on one quest and ignoring everything else because that's just going to be a shit experience. It's the last Elder Scrolls game that rewards exploration and it does it really well.
>>
>>334313037
>and you get achievements

oblivion is alright on consoles, but muh cheevos is dumb as hell reasoning especially in a game like oblivion where all of them are unmissable.
>>
Fedora: Morrowind

Plebeian: Skyrim

Patrician: Oblivion
>>
File: 1245206459364.jpg (23 KB, 449x336) Image search: [Google]
1245206459364.jpg
23 KB, 449x336
>>334312184
>Bethesda game on console
>>
>>334313676
but it's cheevos mang, current gen who gives a fuck about them, but 360 was prime time cheevos
>>
>>334313952
Oblivion is terrible and was rightly shat on when it came out. Then Skyrim came out and /v/ had something new to shit on, along with retconing their opinions on Oblivion.
>>
>>334313952
Fedora: Morrowind

Plebeian: Oblivion/Skyrim

Patrician:
>>
>>334313952
oblivion is literally the worst tho, memers like you make posts like this just b/c oblivion was your first foray into the Elder Scrolls world

oblivion is the most broken game. the level scaling in that game is ATROCIOUS, it's ugly artstyle and graphics are arguable worse looking than morrowind, and the world is utterly generic, the dungeons managed to feel as procedurally generated as daggerfall's.

i actually like oblivion and put several hundred hours into it. but it is objectively worse because it's so heavily flawed. oh i forgot to mention bloom and potato faces.
>>
>>334314215
The game has its flaws but compared to shit like Skyrim it's a fucking masterpiece next to it.
>>
>>334314418
Faggots like you are the worst. You'll be talking about how much Skyrim is 'a fucking masterpiece' when the next shit edition of TES comes out.
>>
>>334314215
I agree about the artstyle, or rather the seeming lack of any consistent artstyle to begin with, but there's nothing arguable about the graphical quality compared to Morrowind. It looks better across the board and only the blind could seriously suggest otherwise. You may have an argument that it hasn't aged as well, especially in the face department, but that's a different issue entirely.
>>
>>334314418

It's flawed, but has personality. There's some silliness here and there. Skyrim is so deadset in being super serious it's fucking boring as shit.
>>
>>334314418
lolno. i would argue that skyrim is a lot better because it has less catastrophic flaws.

but even if you like oblivion more than skyrim, they're EXTREMELY similar games. they're more similar than any other two TES games. if you think skyrim is shit, then oblivion must also be shit.
>>
>>334314665
>but even if you like oblivion more than skyrim, they're EXTREMELY similar games. they're more similar than any other two TES games
Yeah, this guy gets it.
>>
>>334314190
This
TES is shit
>>
>>334314179
>>334314215
>best music
>most comfy
>best side quests and guild quests
>shivering isles
>best balance of quirkiness and generic fantasy

It's okay, I wouldn't expect a Fedora to understand.
>>
>>334314215
I'd give a bj if I could. Top, top post.
>>
>>334314859
>uses fluff words like "comfy" and "quirkiness"
>calling other people fedoras
ayy
>>
>>334312184
Definitely tag acrobatics and mercantile and level them hard. They're OP in Oblivion.
>>
>>334312184
Don't level up if you want to play with high difficulty slider.
>>
File: 1448858305654.png (396 KB, 574x413) Image search: [Google]
1448858305654.png
396 KB, 574x413
>>334314556
No I wont.

Morrowind and Oblivion have the core spirit of TES games, exploration.

Skyrim any feeling the player had of exploring around was rewarded with draugrs and more draugrs, along with a chest with a steel dagger and two potatoes inside it and a convenient shortcut to the entrance. Considering how FO4 is pretty much the same except that its raiders instead of draugrs this time the next TES probably won't be any different.

Just accept that Oblivion was a good game worthy of a 6 or 7 and move on anon.
>>
>>334312184
You level up from doing repetitive actions. So just jump constantly while you're walking around.
>>
>>334315115
oblivion didn't capture exploration at all though. the environment wasn't engaging and the dungeons were horrid

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZUynhkal1I
>>
>>334315115
yo exploration in oblivion was the exact same except for goblins instead of draugrs
you just don't remember it
>>
File: Dating.png (32 KB, 307x497) Image search: [Google]
Dating.png
32 KB, 307x497
>>334313676
>muh cheevos is dumb as hell reasoning

stay mad pleb

http://cheevos.com/
>>
>>334312184
The leveling system in this game is a little tricky. Don't hesitate to grind out a bunch of levels by repeatedly doing your main skills, otherwise you may find yourself underleveled for a lot of Main Quests.
>>
>>334314936
What's wrong with that? It's an accurate descriptor of Oblivion. If somebody wants to take a relaxing stroll through a temperate fantasy grassland, Oblivion is a great choice for them due to the comfortable environment and soothing music. No other TES game can satisfy that desire outside of mods.

It's not a great RPG and it's not a great action game, but it's probably the first I'd suggest to anybody asking for a "comfy" game, something to play to unwind.
>>
>>334314665
They're similar in a sense that they are both TES games but have different philosophies driving their gameplay.

> they're more similar than any other two TES games

I'd say Arena and Daggerfall are more similar because they are both from a bethesda that didn't know exactly where they're going with the with the TES series, Morrowind was pretty much a soft reboot.
>>
>>334315297
>B-But my nostalgia, my first Beth game...
>>
>>334312752

>subtle

Are you autistic?
>>
>>334313479
>hate keyboard and mouse unless its a FPS
>most FPS have melee weapons
This is basically just a FPS set in a fantasy world, so you have magic, bows and arrows, or sword, and there are rpg elements. If anything it would be easier because it isnt as fast pased as an fps. I legitimately do not understand the problem here. I am not saying that you should go return it or anything, but if you play fps on PC there is almost no reason why you couldnt play this on PC.
>>
>>334315297
I'm talking more than just dungeons anon, I'm also talking about the quests in general.

Finding a guy stuck inside a painting, being on a boat hijacked by pirates, having to kill 12 people inside a mansion with creative ways. That stuff the player had to go his way to search it.

Good luck finding a quest in skyrim that didn't end with the player going inside a dungeon infested with undead.
>>
>>334312184
be atronatch
suddenly alchemy has a use
you're welcome
>>
>>334315280
I thought Oblivion was a wonderful game to explore in.
It's like they actually hired an artist for the environments.
>>
>>334313382
if you didnt add the 'shitty' for no reason then you would be right yeah.
>>
File: Direnni Tower.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Direnni Tower.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>334315470
Arena and Daggerfall don't really have a lot in common besides their default control schemes and the lack of a handcrafted world, though. Daggerfall introduced nearly everything that has become the core TES gameplay elements: a fully explorable open world, factions, skills, jail, custom classes, emphasis of side content over main story content, lore books, full 3D movement and environments, enchanting and potion making, vampirism, lycanthropy, and a lot more.

Frankly, Daggerfall feels at least as similar to Morrowind as it does to Arena. Arena -> Daggerfall -> Morrowind were all major evolutions or revolutions upon the previous entries, while Morrowind -> Oblivion -> Skyrim feel like iterations upon the same formula.

Coincidentally, that happens to correspond to Bethesda's engines. Arena, Daggerfall, and Morrowind each had different engines while Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim are all built on versions of the same engine.
>>
>>334312457
fucking top kek
>>
>>334312184

I just started Dragon age origins

and I've bought oblivion 3 different times and I have yet to beat it

I don't fast travel
and get side tracked easily

also min/ maxing your leveling will drive you insane

don't do it
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.