[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So did anyone here learn Japanese? Was it worth it in the end?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: 1459852756365123.png (91 KB, 668x319) Image search: [Google]
1459852756365123.png
91 KB, 668x319
So did anyone here learn Japanese?

Was it worth it in the end?

What game Japanese games did you play already and how did you like them?
>>
File: 1459981988861.png (349 KB, 760x710) Image search: [Google]
1459981988861.png
349 KB, 760x710
>thread is dying

Please someone post already.
>>
>>333886000
I learned Japanese because of my family.

I only use it to play video games early and post spoilers online.
>>
>>333886616
So your parents are Japanese?

>I only use it to play video games early and post spoilers online.
That's pretty mean anon.
>>
In case you're still watching this thread: No, it wasn't worth it. No, I'm not fluent, or even good at reading, but I can make my way through sentences fast enough for it to be enjoyable, but I just don't enjoy the content.

If you don't enjoy reading in English, you're probably not going to enjoy reading in Japanese, because it's still reading. It's exciting when you're making breakthroughs and putting pieces of the puzzle that is your Japanese knowledge together, but applying it just isn't as interesting as I had hoped.

Manga doesn't hold my attention. Video game intros bore me before things even get rolling. Not even my favorite games in their Japanese versions interest me.

You're not missing out on a lot by not knowing Japanese. The only thing that excites me in the slightest is the idea that I'll get to play and enjoy a new animal crossing before EOPs, but I very seriously doubt it'll be out on a console I have or will have in the near future.
>>
Outside of FROM software games and Capcom games (both of which are recorded in English, even for the Japanese versions), the Japanese development scene has been completely irrelevant for the past 6+ years.
>>
>>333885314
I learned Hiragana/Katakana and quit.
Katakana helped with the mobile garbage I play.
>>
The only reason it hasn't been a waste of time is because I was able to easily converse with whores in kabukicho
>>
>>333886960
To be fair, the only development scene that's relevant these days is indie.
But to address your specific point, the western scene has been irrelevant for far longer than the eastern scene has.
>>
File: CosneyMegundal.png (3 MB, 972x2404) Image search: [Google]
CosneyMegundal.png
3 MB, 972x2404
>>333886773
My mom is the Jap.

By the way, I just finished the 4th case of Dai Gyakuten Saiban. One of the Jury members is the killer, she believed her husband was cheating on him so she was throwing shit at him, one of those objects was a knife, that knife went out the window and ended up stabbing a person in a back and killing them. It's pretty stupid. So far every case except the third case was stupid.
The third case was cool because the entire thing was just a trial, none of that shitty investigation, and you never find the true criminal. In fact, the person you defend supposedly tampered with evidence to get an innocent verdict. However he is killed after the trial.
>>
>>333886815
I get the impression that you learnt Japanese because you liked the idea of learning it more than you actually had reason to. Personally I find it incredibly useful, but that's because I started to learn it when I got to the point where pretty much every day I'd do something to do with Japanese and felt held back by not knowing it.
>>
Learnt Japanese to play Ao no Kiseki.
Totally worth it.
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 300x168
>>333887240
>>
>>333886815
>don't enjoy reading
>gee, I wanna learn how to read in a different language

said no one ever
>>
>>333887580
Bitch what did I say
>>
>>333887609
Books can provoke a lot of emotion out of a person, but if more times than not, they head in directions that just make you wish you hadn't bothered in the first place, you lose faith in reading. Especially when there's such an investment of time.

At least I still have writing in Japanese. That's fun.
>>
Worth it for SRW but i am too lazy
>>
File: 1455388845014.gif (132 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1455388845014.gif
132 KB, 500x281
I don't know where to start. I learned kana but then all that kanji, grammar and shit around it. It feels so overwhelming. I will pick it one day I swear.
>>
Been learning for four years, and it's been worth it for me - but only because I'm interested in Japanese media in general, and not just vidya.

I've read twenty times more books and manga than I've played games, and also subscribe to (or read scans of) a bunch of niche magazines pertaining to my hobbies (DIY, tabletop RPGs, reading, cooking, and vidya mostly) and other stuff I'm interested in (mostly nature and space) too.

Gameswise I've mostly played a bunch of DOS and modern visual novels that are 'never ever' translation tier, mixed with some RPGs like DQ Joker and Fate/Extra CCC and then a handful of other games.

Oh, and it's also just a fucking great thing to be able to say I speak three languages fluently on my CV. Like shit, I'd have likely never gotten my current job if not for it giving me an edge over other candidates.
>>
>>333885314
i would have wanted to learn it at some point, but their alphabet sucks ass. its like no one should learn the language.
>>
I learn japanese to be able to understand the "no translation ever" tier vidya.
>>
Still in the process, same as everybody. I've played Yakuza Ishin, Gundam Breaker, Love+, Danball Senki, Super Robot Wars, Sen no Kiseki and lots of doujin H games. I have plans to read several VNs and books as I get better. So far I've mostly been using it to listen to anime commentary tracks, seiyuu radio shows and in turn used those to improve my Japanese.
>>
>>333885314
I tried.
But it didn't stop me from feeling retarded when I still have to stop everytime to read the text in Bakemonogatari no differently than stopping to read subtitles.

Still nice to understand the wordplay and meanings that the words have in their culture, rather than just going with the flow on the plot.
But was it worth it? Probably something in the future would make it worthwhile. But until then, not really.
>>
I played Youkai Watch in Japanese, which seems worth it considering the cultural references, puns and localization. Also Rhythm Tengoku the best+. Playing Youkai Watch 2 now, but slowly.
>>
>>333885314
fucking weeb
>>
File: IMG_0860.jpg (1 MB, 1102x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0860.jpg
1 MB, 1102x3264
Yes, and it was worth it. I've played almost everything on this shelf. It would take a while tell how much I liked every single one, but I enjoyed most of them.
>>
I'm trying to learn, but not just for vidya. I already know katakana, hiragana, and some kanji, but vocabulary and grammar are kicking my ass so hard.
>>
No but I'd like to, I doubt I would get use out of it for vidya or anime or manga however would think it would help in picking up Japanese girls.
>>
I was lucky enough to go to a middle/highschool then college that offered it. After graduating from college I went to work for an accounting firm, worked in the home office in Boston for a few years. While doing that I used '

http://www.showaboston.org/jlc/

which was a partnership between A japanese Women's university and Boston's Japan Society. super cheap and kept my language skills sharp.

Long story short was transferred to Tokyo office, got married have kids, I still enjoy anime/manga, but really that was never my goal to understand. I think if I made being able to enjoy Japanese manga/anime as my linguistic goal, I would have failed and stopped long ago.
>>
>>333890395
how was #FE?
>>
>>333885314
Why do localized jap books not swap the pages to Western version like they used to do? I can understand fan translations but when you localize a manga would it kill them to make it read right to left?
>>
>>333891019
Haven't finished it but I'm about 20 hours in. It's alright. The dungeons are really bland but the battle system is fun and the music is great. The model animations are pretty decent too.
>>
>>333891231
The primary audience that buys manga is weebs. Do you really think weebs would want it swapped? I know I wouldn't.
>>
>>333893315
fukken weebs ruining everything, maybe if they made an attempt to market towards non degenerates they would have budgets again
>>
I started, did a diploma in it with top marks and still read stuff occasionally, but in the end my dreams are just memes and I'm going to be stuck in some backwards-ass job anyway so what the fuck is the point in even knowing it.
>>
>>333893837
You can fap to untranslated anime tiddies
>>
I learned korean instead.
Still get games early lots of the time which is fun, plus I get to play MMOs before they're out globally, which is actually a pretty big deal since I started cutting deals with major gaming sites for footage of content updates on games like TERA, tree of savior, maplestory 2, archeage, BnS, BDO, etc. Still need a real job but this works for what it is.
>>
>>333894039
I mean yeah, there have been some doujins that I could read now but wouldn't have had a chance in hell before, but I'm at a point in life where I absolutely need a job and the amount of Japanese knowledge I have doesn't really help at all for that. There was a point where I wanted to be a translator and was prepared to go far for it, but that scene doesn't exist pretty much anywhere but America, and I'm not moving there.
>>
>>333885314
I'm at the level where I can play famicom/super famicom games pretty easily. It's still going to take me 3-4 years before I feel like I can be considered fluent, though. I'm really motivated to learn because I'm almost exclusively interested in Japanese games, anime, manga, etc so that helps.
>>
I'm practicing for tomorrows JAPN 102 final right now, and then I get to play Dark Souls. Lucky me.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.