[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Monster Hunter vs. Souls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10
File: mh4u_das.png (2 MB, 1476x798) Image search: [Google]
mh4u_das.png
2 MB, 1476x798
Which series is better /v/?
>>
they're both shit senpai
>>
One is a shitty grindfest with garbage controls that caters to autists and the other is one of the best Action RPGs of all time
>>
Why do I need to pick a better of the two?
>>
>>333872716

Bloodborne. Dark Souls isn't even better than Dragon's Dogma or Demon's Souls.
>>
>>333872716
One has better singleplayer one has better mutiplayer
>>
File: 36214219.png (1 MB, 1240x1754) Image search: [Google]
36214219.png
1 MB, 1240x1754
Is this one of those trick ways of starting an MH thread I've heard so much about?
>>
They both went to shit, it doesn't matter anymore.
>>333873350
Don't be a retard.
>>
>>333872716
One of those is a game. The other is a skinner box.
>>
File: 1408642828376.jpg (403 KB, 1000x853) Image search: [Google]
1408642828376.jpg
403 KB, 1000x853
>>333872906
>>333873305
It's funny because you can't tell which one refers to which game!
>>
File: 1428864768604.jpg (870 KB, 865x1000) Image search: [Google]
1428864768604.jpg
870 KB, 865x1000
>>333873435
I don't know you're trying to say anon.
>>
>>333872716
The one that isn't locked onto a 240p platform.
>>
Dark Souls since I haven't played Monster Hunter.
>>
basically edgy dark and 'serious' faggot attracting machine which ripped off of MH mechanism = dark souls
>>
Both are tired and repetitive series. The difference is that I can still stomach souls because the games don't force me to play through ezmode and normal mode in order to get to the actual game with non-crippled ai. I dread and don't even think I'll be buying MH generations because I really don't want to grind through low rank shit all over again.
>>
>>333873680
>Dark Souls
>Grindfest

Nope, you're just playing it wrong.
>>
>>333872906
Which one are you talking about? They are arguably both grindfests that caters to autists, and they are arguably still both one of the bests ARPGs of all time.
>>
>>333873680
oh boy, another retarded
>>
>>333873894
are you a retard? you better be
>>
They're not comparable.
>>
>>333874814
You can say the same about MH tho.
>>
One has 0 bad games in the entire franchise, the other one has Dark Souls 2.
>>
>>333872716
>Oh boy I wonder what nintendoGaf /v/ will say about a multiplat series that's for every system except nintendo consoles
>>
File: 1431801845633.png (169 KB, 838x900) Image search: [Google]
1431801845633.png
169 KB, 838x900
>>333875840
>333875840

>falling this hard for a bait
>>
>>333876027

Yeah......nah. Monster Hunter is a literal grind fest considering you have to pick up materials.

Souls you just kill enemies, which is a natural progression.
>>
The one that doesn't rehash sounds, animations, enemies and weapons :^)
>>
>>333876760
Now you're gonna say upgrading weapons and armor isn't a thing in Dark Souls.
>>
>>333876863
so neither of them?
>>
>>333876143
>0 bad games in the franchise
What is every non-Grank MH game? Do you really consider Tri good with its sub 20 monsters and online locked content for an online that is now literally dead?
>>
>>333877123
thats the joke
>>
>>333872716
For single player: Demon's Souls series
For multiplayer: Monster Hunter
Simple as that really
>>
>>333872716
They're not even that similar though, why are they always compared?
>>
>>333876923
You never really have to grind for the stones.

Both are great games but I usually put way more hours into MH because it's more comfy.
>>
I love both, but I prefer the exploration and continuous adventure that is a Souls game to the more precise and solely combat oriented Monhun.
>>
Dragon's Dogma is better than both, and a mixture of the two

Monster Hunter is just too fucking slow, it takes forever to get to anything good. Player skill be damned, if you don't grind weapons you can't do fuck all as you progress even if you keep striking all the time

Dark Souls is the opposite, if you aren't retarded the game is fucking easy mostly because its easy to cheese
>>
>>333880393
the three games clearly have a very different focus
I always liked monster hunter more just for the preparation and actually feeling like im going out to hunt
>>
>>333880393
You can't possibly think this if you've played them all. I've finished Dragon's Dogma twice but let's be real, the combat is a really dumb stat-based mashfest, with instant healing in a paused menu. The main thing the game is good for is the feeling of adventure when you're going out on an expedition and hurrying back to town before nightfall, but even then it isn't hard enough for 90% of the game to really make you feel that rush. There is absolutely no way you can think Dragon's Dogma is in any way harder than Dark Souls, especially if you aren't retarded.
Dragon's Dogma is a fun but extremely shallow game that falls apart the more you play of it. Cool moves do not make for an engaging or balanced combat system.
>>
I love the combat in MonHun, but I wish they would something more with the terrain, dunno about more recent entries but I was always a bit disappointed about the loading screens every time I modea around the map, thinking with current technologies it could all one big thing.

Also the crawling animation while slow crouch-walking makes me wish for stuff like tall grass to hide in and generally stealth approach/ambush/sniping. I love me some big ass monsters but I'd also like that kind of quest, tedious as it might seem to some (and it's better than gathering quests IMO)
>>
>>333881336

moved around the map*
>>
>>333880693
I guess you didn't bother with Hard mode on DD? It's not like Normal difficulty, you actually need supplies until the inevitable point towards the end of the game where everything not in BBI becomes a joke thanks to RPG leveling

I don't think the games have too different a focus. DD, DS & MH all have large focus on careful survival and on boss monsters.

>>333880943
Monster Hunter isn't exactly deep, friend. I like the series but really, everything seems more difficult because of the animations. When you fight a monster a few times you stop seeing the complex animations and just see hitboxes coming towards you or circling. The actual preparation aspect is merely taking items to counter the effects of the monster you are hunting. Later on G, the game becomes more focused on delivering heavier DPS via bomb and trap use. Oh but of course, being locked into animations makes it so hard right? Despite animation cancel and most of the hard locked abilities doing so much damage with a strike that any negatives of using them goes out the window.

DD isn't dumb at all as long as you are playing Hard and didn't just use a friend's pawn with maxed knowledge about every monster. Then it becomes up to you to make the weaknesses open.
>>
>>333872716
Both have their merits.
>>
>>333872716
Monster Hunter for a greater variety in the gameplay with more intense challenge and co-operative emphasis.
Dark Souls for something more enthralling with more reflexive, base-skillful gameplay in general with more of a tinge towards its intricacies and not overtly swapping your entire build.
>>
>>333881542
>I guess you didn't bother with Hard mode on DD? It's not like Normal difficulty, you actually need supplies
You're the one that didn't bother with hard mode. You don't need supplies at all because almost everything one-hits you, until like you said, everything becomes even easier than the early game.

I haven't even played that much Monhun and wouldn't dare whether it's deep or not, but the fourty or so hours I've put into both Freedom 2 and Portable 3rd.
Being locked into animations does make it hard. The entire fucking game is literally about matching up your animations with the enemy's recovery animations. The same goes for Dark Souls. The more strict these windows are the harder the game obviously is.
That said, I didn't really say anything about Monhun at all in my post. I only said that Dragon's Dogma is a really dumb game and that you're dumb for thinking it's not. You are.

>didn't just use a friend's pawn with maxed knowledge
Nigga do you think I have friends? I didn't even play Monhun guild quests in multiplayer.
>Then it becomes up to you to make the weaknesses open.
You mean use fire or holy against almost everything? Or climb to the obvious weak spot? The game is easy even on hard, until you get hit once and die because you weren't actually focusing on the dumb mashing you're doing.
>>
They aren't that simmilar except in combat sort of. Horrible thread
>>
Dark Souls

better camera controls
an actual world to explore
an actual context for playing the game
an actual game beyond 'lel grind for loot infinitely for 300 hours'
actual level design
better controls
>>
>>333882381
>it's really easy but i got killed b-because mashing
>everything o-one shots me b-but i didnt need supplies
Fucking hilarious
If you were at all good at the game you'd know the simple techniques for not getting hit

And the best part
>I only put 40 hours into two MH games
Bitch, you barely played the fucking games. I got to G on Tri & 3U so I know my fucking shit. You shouldn't have admitted you are a casual fuck, your opinion means dogshit now
>>
>>333876143
oh please, the PS2 MonHuns are nearly unplayable, even the most dedicated of fans hate them for their general shittiness.
>>
>>333882995
Even the start of the monhun games has more interesting challenges than all of dragon's dogma, though. Yeah, I sometimes died in DD's hard mode, but it was still easy and uninteresting. Your points are retarded, but that's to be expected if you can't actually see how ridiculously shallow DD's combat is.
>>
Dark Souls.

I've never had a Souls fan say "Y-YOU JUST NEED TO PLAY FOR 50 HOURS BEFORE IT GETS GOOD, I SWEAR IT GETS BETTER."

I don't have 50 hours to dedicate to a game that I think is shitty.
>>
Dark Souls

Monster Hunter is just a game you play with your friends in high school to kill time, as long as your high school is located in japan
>>
No bros:
Souls > MH > DD

Bros:
MH > Souls > DD
>>
>>333872716
MH because it's much more challenging and more comfy. It's close though.
>>
Dark Souls is a more enjoyable overall experience.

I'm not sure why fans from both sides try to argue on which is more challenging though.
They're both good games, they seem to just appeal to different people.
>>
>>333872716
>Japanese CoD vs Japanese Assassin's Creed
Neither.
>>
Just do it the easy way.

http://strawpoll.me/7339951
>>
i just wish we had a monster hunter online for the WEST Tbqh
>>
>Dark Souls
>starts out immediately as a really good Action RPG but turns to shit after about the halfway point

>Monster Hunter
>starts out as complete dogshit but apparently according to autists becomes amazing after 70 hours
>>
>>333883580
fuck that, Dragon's Dogma Online is better.
>>
>>333872716
>Monster hunter
>you must kill this monster 50 times to make his armor, multiply that by 20 if the drop rate is 1%

all these ruby and gems and jaspers, just kill me now
>>
>>333883186
Please stop trying, you're just a shitter.
Fuck off back to 4U.
>>
>>333884089
You're the one that brought up monhun when I only said DD's combat is shit. What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
File: upset_george.jpg (6 KB, 287x176) Image search: [Google]
upset_george.jpg
6 KB, 287x176
>>333883687

>it gets good after the first ___ hours

No. If you need to develop Stockholm syndrome in order to enjoy a game it's a bad game.
>>
>>333884239
>brought up monhun
>in a monhun/dark souls thread
Dumb faggot
>>
>>333883195
Monster Hunter is good from the start though. I had already put in 70 hours before I knew it.
>>
File: 1428896410671.png (337 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
1428896410671.png
337 KB, 500x374
Monster Hunter all the way.
>>
MonHun is more fun, when you get to hunt the big game at least
>>
>Monster Hunter
>Things normally considered chores in RPGs such as grinding and item farming are at the core of the game
>All areas are two square inches large between loading screens
>Designed from square one for people who want to metagame the shit out of it. As a result the grinding and farming systems are laid bare with no fun to be seen
>Controls are ass even though you can get used to them

>Dark Souls
>Hitboxes on boss attacks and weapons are way bigger than what makes sense visually
>Camera often lets your character be blocked from view
>Very opaque about what abilities your character even has such as backstab and perry

One is shit to it's very core, while the only flaw to the other is low production value. This isn't a hard one OP.
>>
They are both good.

Why does one have to be better than the other?
>>
>>333886717

Because they're not perfectly equal in quality.
>>
File: 1375355319176.gif (425 KB, 209x119) Image search: [Google]
1375355319176.gif
425 KB, 209x119
>>333872906
you win
>>
>>333872716
How can people like a game where the bosses are damage sponges and reskins of other bosses?
>>
Is the PS2 Monhun any good? Or the Wii one?
>>
toukiden 2 is shaping up to be better than monster hunter games at the minute.

the demo is fantastic.
>>
>>333886979
Tri is pretty good, but underwater combat is not for everyone and the online is dead so you'll miss some good content (you can mod the quests into single player though)
>>
as an observation I've found that most MH fans almost always take to Souls games very well. Like every MH fan I know also looks forward to Souls games. The opposite is not always true though.

>>333884323

I hated MHF2 at first, and even when I got the hang of the controls I was lukewarm on it until maybe 60-70 hours when I stopped being a longsword shitter and learned hammer. It is now hands down my absolute favorite game series. So yes it really did get good after X hours and it was 100% worth it.

That said the games are much much easier early on these days and even game journalists and DSP were able to get into MH4U. I guess if you have zero attention span it'd be a problem but I seriously hope there's nobody this casual on /v/
>>
i like MH better because their Iframes on dodge is way tighter plus monster attacks vary in speed. so the series is a lot harder

in DS (never played BB) your iframes on dodge even without a dex build is way more lenient plus almost all attacks in Souls games are done are such a fast speed that you just press dodge the moment the attack goes off and you will never get hit.
>>
>>333887204
dsp never hunted any big monsters in his solo play. He killed a bunch online where his fans did all the work.
>>
>>333883195
First Monster Hunter game I played was 4U and I was hooked within about 3 hours.

Dark Souls I got so bored of the Undead Asylum I quit before I finished it. Bloodborne I did get further but still got bored of it eventually. Not enough unique bosses to keep me occupied.
>>
>>333883687
>Dark Souls
>starts out immediately as a really good Action RPG but turns to shit after about the halfway point
Undead Asylum counters your argument.

>Monster Hunter
>starts out as complete dogshit but apparently according to autists becomes amazing after 70 hours
I have never heard anyone say 70 hours, the more recent one can take as little as 1-3 hours.
>>
Monster Hunter no question

It has the best boss battles.
>>
>>333887030
Oh shit I forgot the demo was coming out, guess it's time to get downloading.
>>
>>333888194
>taking the numbers entirely literally
You're the autist he's talking about.
>>
File: 1458660728751.jpg (174 KB, 473x355) Image search: [Google]
1458660728751.jpg
174 KB, 473x355
>>333880393
>>333881542
>>333882995

Amazing, it's been a while since I've seen someone this retarded.
Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.