[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? Can it be fixed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6
File: HaloDOom.jpg (46 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
HaloDOom.jpg
46 KB, 460x215
What went wrong? Can it be fixed?
>>
The game doesn't feel like it was made with PvP multiplayer in mind.
I'd much rather have had the first level as part of the beta and not deathmatch/King of the hill.
The movement speed seems better suited for weaving between fuckloads of fireballs from hordes of demons and not for twitch shooting against other players.
>>
They just needed to let the franchise die and put some brainpower into something new.

then again they tried rage and that was meh.
>>
>>333821167
Is the soundtrack thrash?
>>
File: 1401345722481.jpg (3 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
1401345722481.jpg
3 KB, 120x120
They could have made it not an arena based wave attack game, arent there a million of those already? a decade later doom shows up to rip off indie devs...

mfw not surprised Doom is a failure.
>>
>>333821167
at least man children will buy the game since their desperate to cling to their childhood no matter how shitty the game is because their so dumb.
>>
>>333821167
>What went wrong?
Where to start?
-Marketing focused more on multiplayer which isn't what Doom is mostly known for
-Catering to the Brudal Doom audience
-No modding tools, only snapmap
-No co-op
-Multiplayer DLC already planned
-RPG upgrade shit in the singleplayer

>Can it be fixed?
At this point, probably not.
But who knows, it might not be terrible
>>
>>333821167
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSZ4tSoumNk

Refused needs to be thrown into the refuse pile, if you know what I mean.
>>
File: tumblr_mhnmr60N801roytlvo1_500.jpg (16 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mhnmr60N801roytlvo1_500.jpg
16 KB, 500x281
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-devs-talk-challenges-of-rebooting-the-series/1100-6429176/
>You can go to any sixteen-year-old at Quakecon and ask them what their favorite shooter is and they're going to say Call of Duty and Battlefield and Halo, but not Doom, because why would they? We haven't put out Doom games. So id has to deal with the challenge because we can't walk in and say, 'Hey, we're making a Doom game,' and everyone's instantly on board. Id's got to prove [itself] and prove how this is still true to Doom and still relevant to first-person shooters."
Going after the Call of Duty and Halo audience.
>>
>>333822665
Its like they're trying to cahnge COD fans into liking DOOM but instead are dissapointing actual DOOM fans
>>
inb4 IGN gives new doom 10/10

Also has anyone noticed that you can take IGN reviews reverse them and they work? as in the higher the grade the worst the game is like this pile of garbage?
>>
>>333822569
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean friend.
>>
>>333821520
Check it.
https://youtu.be/4_FcybvR6rA
>>
>>333822665
COD is based on quake 3, it even has some of the quake 3 exploits in it.
>>
>>333821167
Nothing is wrong, Doom is not Quake and MP is not really the focus of Doom.

(Though Doom didn't have a jump, let alone a double jump.)
>>
Has there ever been a good doom game in like ten years? Who there even knows what gaming is since they dont even make games really? just elder scrolls and fallout, they should stick to that since they have no talent or experience in shooters.

Wow, your all surprised Doom sucks... thats ridic, everyone knew it would suck.
>>
>>333821167
It can be fixed, but it wont be.
>>
>>333822951
It didn't have 3d graphics, ragdoll and mouselook either.
>>
graphics look like liquid ass, like someone literally shit all over the screen. the monsters look the same color as the background. Maybe their too poor to afford a real game engine that has more colors and better detail to tell where the monsters are and where the background is?
that could fix it?
>>
>>333821167
Game looks fine to me. No-one seems to be able to deal with fact that gaming has moved on since 1993.
>>
>>333824549
/thread
>>
>perks and level up systems, in SP
>mission direction indicators and reminders
>mundane basic tasks like double-kills are now "challenges"
>exploration and puzzles pretty much confirmed to not exist
>enemies explode into HP and ammo
>guns and enemies look plasticy and overall fugly
>tons of "cinematic" first-person cutscenes (picking up guns, opening doors, pressing switches...)
>IRON SIGHTS
>rifle-butt melee
>quick grenades
>chainsaw is a cinematic finished tool
>BFG is a "Panic key" to empty the room with a press of a button
>MP has 2 weapon limit and loadouts
>music's definitely not metal
>Doomguy looks like a cheap Halo MC clone

Yeah, it's shit. And don't expect Bethesda to fix anything.

>>333823049
>Has there ever been a good doom game in like ten years?
there has not been a good Doom game in TWENTY years. D64 was the last good game.
>>
>What went wrong

is it the future? I don't remember this game being released
>>
>>333825960
Fucking this desu. Games not even out yet and people are shitting all over it. Can't wait to see the posts a couple weeks after release when everyone releases its a commercial success
>>
>>333824703
>>Doomguy looks like a cheap Halo MC clone
You mean Master Chief looks like a modern interpretation of Doomguys armor
>>
>>333824703
>BFG is a "Panic key" to empty the room with a press of a button

This worked for Serious Sam with the serious bomb
>>
>>333826882

Eh, Doom 3 was id's best-selling game ever. Sales don't mean much re: quality
>>
>>333827165
No, I mean that all those sleeves and hidden stomach make him look like a literal Spartan cyborg. Where's the manly FLESH? Why's the wannabe Doomguy relying on powerarmor?

>>333829141
>This worked for Serious Sam with the serious bomb
Yeah, but even that was a separated weapon of its own you had to equip, not a literal quick-key for instant gibbing of all enemies on sight.
>>
>>333829983
>Yeah, but even that was a separated weapon of its own you had to equip, not a literal quick-key for instant gibbing of all enemies on sight.

As long as the game only gives you a small number of BFG uses for the entire game, it shouldn't be a problem. It's like the bomb in a shmup
>>
>>333824703
doomguy came before master chief
>>
File: D64end.png (748 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
D64end.png
748 KB, 1280x960
>>333830186
no shit sherlock. It still doesn't change the fact that he LOOKS like a fucking MC now, and nothing like a Doomguy.
>>
>>333827165
>>333830186
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
File: 1432144580877.gif (999 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
1432144580877.gif
999 KB, 250x251
>>333821167
With MP? Fucked if I know. Didn't play the betor, don't care.
With SP? We just don't know for sure yet. I'm expecting better than Doom3, which I don't consider bad at all to begin with, but I won't be buying D4 immediately on launch anyway.
>>
>>333821167
Literally nothing

The game looks great
>>
>>333821167
IYS NOT EVEN OUT YET
>>
>>333821167
>babysitting my younger brother
>we play through Doom 3
>he says he thought the end was dumb and if there was a Doom 4 he probably wouldn't like it
>show him the trailer
>he gets super excited about all of it
>I remember not enjoying the trailer outside of looking at enemy designs
Felt weird
>>
>>333822898
Sounds pretty industrial, really like that bit at 7:15 for some reason.
>>
>>333829983
Having exposed skin while outdoors on Mars is probably a bad idea
>>
>>333830448
I really don't get this complaint. Doommarine's design is not that detailed or specific in the first place. You could cite the exact shape of his helmet or the fact that he has no sleeves, but really, his design is literally that of a "generic space soldier", and that's what a generic space soldier looked like in the mind of a 90's nerd. The new look is what a generic space soldier looks like in the mind of a 2010 nerd.
Not to mention that it's an incredibly petty and utterly superficial gripe to begin with.
>>
>No coop
In to the trash it goes
>>
>>333822537
>which isn't what Doom is mostly known for
Well, it was one of the first FPS multiplayers ever and it was quite popular for it's time even it was pretty ship compare to even Quake.
>>
>>333833303
Won't SnapMap have co-op? Better than nothing.
>>
>>333831274
Doom 3 is not that bad really. It's not Half-Life but it's not cod:ghost
>>
>>333821167
>What went wrong?
The team developing it is basically the opposite of early 90s Id in every single way. Thinking of this game and the original Dooms as being related is a mistake.
>>
>>333824703

Don't forget:

>Doomguy is slow as shit instead of being Sanic fast like he used to be
>Weapons aren't held in the bottom-center part of the screen
>>
Saw multiplayer trailer at friends house and thought for a sec it was new Unreal Tournament.
>>
>>333821167
they're advertising the multiplayer too much. it's like they're trying to advertise it for the causal audience who play cod games
>>
>>333835349
Is that a bad thing?
>>
>>333821167
>What went wrong?
People rejected Doom 3, which was very faithful to the original games in all of the ways that actually mattered.

Doom 3 captured the tense, paranoid atmosphere that made Doom such a mindblowing game when it first came out. People didn't play with mouse-look back then, and they didn't sprint through the game. The game was originally controlled with just the keyboard which made movement clunky and deliberate. Plus people didn't have two decades of arena twitch shooter instincts back then - they didn't instinctively know how to do stuff like circlestrafe around large mobs of enemies. Doom was originally played at much slower pace, with the player constantly afraid that as soon as they entered a room, all of the lights would go out and a pack of demons would spawn directly behind them. Doom 3 managed to capture that sense of fear again, and it still holds up even today.

Doom 4 recreates the superficial aspects of the original games that were really just a holdover from orthodox arcade shoot-em-up gameplay design. It apes the aspects of the game that have endured through memes and things like Brutal Doom. As a result it feels like a completely hollow nostalgia cash-in, rather than a game that actually has intelligence and passion behind it like Doom 3.

Essentially, if the early 90s Id team had had access to modern technology when they were making the original Doom, it would have been far closer to Doom 3 than Doom 4.
>>
We want the Brutal Doom audience.
>>
>>333822901
can't say if serious or troll
>>
>>333837320
Nothing wrong with that
>>
>>333837462
Call of Duty is a 2003 first-person shooter (FPS) video game developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision. It became the first of many installments in the Call of Duty franchise.[2] The game simulates infantry and combined arms warfare of World War II using a highly modified version of the id Tech 3 engine built for Quake III: Team Arena.
>>
>>333838415
so? What has engine they used to do with anything? Next thing you will tell that Bioshock is based on Unreal, because it runs of its moddified engine?
>>
>>333839546
I guess that what what he was trying to say.
>>
>>333839782
probably, but what engine has to do with target audience or game itself?
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.