[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? And is it really that bad? I wanna play Silent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Hdcollection.png (268 KB, 523x600) Image search: [Google]
Hdcollection.png
268 KB, 523x600
What went wrong?

And is it really that bad? I wanna play Silent Hill 2 and 3, but I only have a Macbook for a PC and I don't own a PS2
>>
>>333815998
the port was bad

cant you at least run windows on your mac?
>>
Yes, it's. Really that bad. Find another way to play it. The HD collection ruins the only aspects a horror game needs: sound and atmosphere
>>
File: SH PC Guide - Jan 2016_SML.png (2 MB, 1300x3453) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide - Jan 2016_SML.png
2 MB, 1300x3453
>>333815998
>What went wrong?
EVERYTHING. Literally.

>And is it really that bad?
Yes. It is.

>I wanna play Silent Hill 2 and 3, but I only have a Macbook for a PC
Dualboot/install Windows XP or 7, and get the PC ports.

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

And in case someone's once again new to this PC gaming stuff: Use a program like DaemonTools Lite to mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.
>>
>>333815998
Yes. You're better off emulating PS2 versions or playing them on PC with some tweaks.
>>
>>333816091

I have Ubuntu installed on it
>>
>>333815998
I'm not too familiar with Apple products.
Are Macs really that bad for gaming? I mean, SH2 and 3 can run on absolute buckets.
>>
Yes it fucking is

Ruined so much and the new voices are fucking horrible

Someone made a two hour video, and they still couldn't list all its faults
>>
Literally destroyed sound effects, music, graphics, voice acting, cutscenes and added slowdowns and crashes
>>
>>333815998
>What went wrong?
-Konami "lost" the games' source-codes
-Konami did not wait for BluePoint, the studio behind the brilliant MGS' HD Collection, to be done with that project, and then give the SH's HD ports for them. BP did not use any shitty source-codes, they literally reverse-engineered the games out of retail PS2 discs!
-HiJinx Studios who was given the SH's porting job was a literal no-name mobile app dev team, with no prior console experience.
-Tomm Hulett is a huge dick, who hates everything else than SH2, and even many things in that.
-Tomm wanted to make a full remake of SH2, with his own new script and all, but wasn't allowed. Thus he wanted to HD remaster 2 instead.
-What was meant to be 1 game as PS3 exclusive, ended up being turned into a multiplat release (x360) and SH3 was added as a bonus later on.
-They still had to try and jam 2 games on 1 Xbox DVD!
-They tried to circle around having to use original VAs, as they'd have to pay royalties to them.
-SH2 finally got its old VA tracks on HD port when the James' VA, Guy Cihi, gave the permission to use his score for free. SH3 never got this luxury, as the team "did not find" Heather's VA in time.

The result? Downgraded graphics, fucked up audio effects, poorly remixed and edited soundtracks, shitty new voice-actors, performance drops left and right, literal CRASHING ... etc.

>>333816224
>Are Macs really that bad for gaming?
They are. Literally NOT meant for it, and don't understand anything Windows-oriented.
Different formats and working arcitecture; Mac OS are based on ancient Unix versions, on which Linux was based too.
All OP would need to do is install a Windows OS on the thing, and errything would be fine.

>>333816214
Either use virtual machine / Wine, or dualboot. Not that hard.
The SH games are 15yo DX8 games, they run on literal wormboxes.
>>
Emulate them or buy a PS2 online for like 20-30 bucks. Seriously, they're super cheap these days and it's a console with lots of worthwhile games.

And what went wrong is that someone took over who had no idea what Silent Hill was about. On top of that they lost assets and shit leading to a straight up bad version. Add in voice acting that loses the purpose of dialogue, lighting/clean up effects that actually mar the game's world, and more that just ruins the original idea for the games. It's such a fucking mess.
>>
>>333816689
>-Konami "lost" the games' source-codes
This is not an excuse

Other teams take the retail discs, reverse engineer the game, make a PC version, then port that to the new system

This is not necessaity if the game already had a PC port, so you can just jump to the last step. This is why Splinter Cell or Prince of Persia came out fast with little fanfair

Silent hill 2 and 3 already had PC versions, so whatever code they had was completely pointless to use

Incompetence and amateurism
>>
>>333817053
True, I even said that myself.

The HD Collection was a poor attempt to cash in AND save cash with a re-release of then-10yo PS2 titles.
Even just a PSN Store PS2 classic release would've been far better choice.
>>
>>333815998
just fucking don't, man

download the games in the links provided itt, and do not support this garbage

it's a travesty in every way
>>
>>333815998
Neither this nor ZoE HD are worth a damn, it's amazing that MGS HD turned out as well as it did.
>>
>>333815998
Someone link this guy TRSHE.
>>
>>333816689
I somehow would've loved to see Tomm Hulett's complete remake of SH2. It would've sucked so much. I can only imagine the carnage of fucked up controls, graphics, everything. It would've been panned into oblivion.
>>
>>333817383
>Neither this nor ZoE HD are worth a damn
ZoE's HD ports were fixed though. By Kojima himself.

>>333817435
it would've been another Downpoor.
>>
>>333817534
He only fixed ZoE2 on PS3. The other games still run like ass.
>>
>>333817534
>>333817612
>ZoE's HD ports were fixed though. By Hexadrive.
fixed and it was only ZOE2 which was the one who suffered the most slowdowns
it's the best one out of the two anyway
>>
>>333815998
Either get a PS2, or get the PC ports from those links earlier ITT.

You don't want to ruin your first time with these games. Also please don't be one of those people who skip the first SH game because of "old grafix" or other shit; SH1 is not only a damn important chapter of the series, but also THE best SH game. The atmosphere and audio are still superb.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.