[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
What went wrong?
>>
>>333811931
rushed out, high system requirements
>>
>>333811931
It didn't do enough to set itself apart in a gaming genre where even the most original games at the time couldn't even reach half the popularity of the dominating game, World of Warcraft. Because of this, it quickly faded into obscurity even by MMO standards.
>>
>>333812276
This, the game never recovered, which is a shame because it was really good by the time the Khitai expansion came out, I played it for a full year.
>>
>>333811931

Rushed out, absurdly high system requirements, complete lack of content past the first 10-20% of the game, overblown hype and marketing, founder quits company(big warning sign of too much executive meddling.)

Also not enough tits. NOT ENOUGH.
>>
>>333812357
wrong
>>
>>333811931
another WoW clone fueled by stupid executives who learned everything they know about vidya from Harvard business school.

>but it has at least one feature that sets it apart

Nobody cares. Make WoW clone, desperately try to recover astronomical losses by switching to FTP after a month - it's a law of nature now. You want to make a successful MMO? Do something original, ffs.

>too much risk to be original
>too much risk

Fine, stop making MMOs. Nothing of value will be lost.
>>
File: 1369460735584.jpg (293 KB, 1898x979) Image search: [Google]
1369460735584.jpg
293 KB, 1898x979
What went wrong?
>>
File: AoC-armors.jpg (331 KB, 1268x752) Image search: [Google]
AoC-armors.jpg
331 KB, 1268x752
>>333811931
Crazy system requirements and it released WOEFULLY incomplete on the most basic level. Shit, I'm not even referring to missing content here but things like fucking stats not working for the first couple of months so upgrading gear was basically pointless aside from raw armor advantage. Not to mention sieges and entire PvP, which were supposedly to be integral, ended up just being there and former barely working even today. Still, Funcom has probably done the brand all the justice it could be asked in an MMORPG and compromises you usually have to do. Good lore and great rendition of Hyboria. Also, fantasy armors that don't rely on XBOXHUGE pauldrons just because WoW did it that way.
>>
>>333812596
>complete lack of content past the first 10-20% of the game
I disagree about that, it's more about the fact Tortage was horribly misleading. It was basically promising what TOR did years with full voice acting and story-heavy focus, but that evaporated the moment you were done with tutorial and suddenly you were in your typical MMORPG setup.
>>
>>333815113
left guy looks like a hobo, but the other look great
>>
>>333815225

On release there was pretty much nothing to do after you reached a certain point. I may be kind of exaggerating the 10-20% numbers but that's just an arbitrary number I threw out. But basically during the early formative months you pretty much had to force yourself to find shit to do since there actually wasn't anything you could do to advance quest chains or plot.
>>
I don't remember which kind of PC I had at the time but my fan would spin up so fast it sounded like it was ready to take off.

>>333816202
I definately agree with lack of quests. I felt like there were a few areas where there were barely any and you had to grind on random mobs.
>>
File: avatar1.jpg (113 KB, 858x474) Image search: [Google]
113 KB, 858x474
Motherfucking Herald of Xotli. Still easily the best class in any MMORPG I've ever played.
>>
File: tsw cleanup crew.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
tsw cleanup crew.png
2 MB, 1600x900
It's Funcom in charge of MMOs (or anything really)

Sometimes I wonder how they're still afloat
>>
>>333811931
it was unfinished on launch, with many high-level areas completely lacking quests, forcing people to grind a tiny specific instance (tarantia villas) that always matched your level in order to reach the cap

also guild vs guild shit was totally broken (the best was when hordes of goonheim got the first guild keep together, were prepared to defend it with all of their war mammoths and shit, and the attacking guild never appeared... because they got shunted into their own instance where they destroyed an undefended copy of the goonheim keep, a destroyed copy that disappeared when they all logged out)

shame, because the setting was cool, the first 10 or so hours was amazingly well done, and the combat was decent

welp. that's FUNCOMpetence for you
>>
File: tattoo.jpg (53 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
tattoo.jpg
53 KB, 1200x720
2008 ultra realistic art style doesn't hold up today

Darkfall which took a cel-shaded muddy Morrowind-esque aesthetic looks better despite coming out a year earlier

system requirements were too high

the F2P model is shit

locked people out of the expansion they paid for due to the F2P transition
>>
>>333816587
"I eat your heart" is my favorite ability in any game, ever. literally rip an enemy's heart from his chest and eat it to heal yourself while he dies screaming
>>
>>333814782
>another WoW clone
What the fuck?
It was everquest with heavy dose of lineage gameplay wise
>>
File: 5327.jpg (20 KB, 371x318) Image search: [Google]
5327.jpg
20 KB, 371x318
>>333811931
>follow the development through magazines and dev interviews
>hype as fuck
>gets released
>Tortage Island (starting zone) got my dick hard
>finish it and get to the main world
>its literally still in pre-pre-pre-alpha
Wew. Was a harsh lesson to not to get hyped too much.
The game actually had some really cool concepts and unique classes. The PvP was also interesting with the directional attacks/blocks, and guild/clan strongholds.

Of course nothing worked or was balanced in anyway.
>>
>>333817935
Theme parks are all the same
content driven questing simulators where the playerbase runs through it faster than more content can be created, and they leave until the next major update/expansion for 2 weeks until leaving again

I'm sick of collect 10 boar assholes the game, I want Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies and EVE Online-type games again.
>>
>>333818087
>content driven questing simulators where the playerbase runs through it faster than more content can be created
Oh, so you are just retarded
>>
>>333815113

I remember Funcom denying the community claim that female attack animations directly decreased DPS compared to a male counterpart.

Then the community did a fuck ton of testing and backed it all up mathematically, forcing Funcom to fix it.
>>
>>333818161
That was a thing? Why was it? was the female attack just noticably slower or was it something else?
>>
>>333818147
I'm retarded for stating an objective fact? A community-driven MMO is much better than a content-driven MMO because at least you'll have something to do between the expansions/patches in galaxies/ultima online/eve

What is there to do in WoW/every other theme park in existence between running the same content over and over? What reason is there to talk to someone outside of your group/guild in these non-social MMOs? If I'm going to collect 10 boar assholes, why do it in a massively multiplayer setting? What benefit do I see besides a chat box in the corner and optional grouping (which isn't required for 95% of the game)?

Seems to me that the gameplay suffers as a result of the MMO design with very little benefit.
>>
This and WHO could've been so much better with more dev time.
>>
>>333818525
>between running the same content over and over?
What do you do in sandbox mmo?
Craft? Kill mobs? Kill others players?
And don't lie to me, I played both ultima and galaxies when they were relevant
EQ was objectively better
>>
>>333818928
You can have meaningful player interaction in trade/politics/PVP/PVE content taking proper advantage of the massively multiplayer online community.

UO and Galaxies are fairly primetive when it comes to sandbox design, but I'd love to see the genre get explored a little more because I really do think there is room for a hybrid MMO where the best aspects of both genres feed off of each other.
>>
I loved my TOS, could oneshot people in pvp back then before the nerfs
>>
What ruined for me was that the starting areas, even under tortage, were full of people who just mindlessly ganked lowbies, even in areas they weren't supposed to be. It was almost impossible to level a character properly.
>>
Necromancer was beautifully janky. I would spend entire days summoning a dozen necrotic bombs and sending them off to follow people. One wide weapon swing and they would be a smoldering corpse
>>
>>333819181
>But you will literally do same thing over and over again and whats horrible!
Your fucking words, retard
But now it's okay to dame things because your biased opinion
>>
>>333811931

I liked when the game came out and you could use your horse to kick people off bridges as they were trying to get by. Good times.

They "fixed" that. RUINED THE GAME! But for real that game had a ton of problems. I came back years later and they still had the same bugs that were in the beta tests and easily identifiable.

But while the game was still new and everyone was world PVPing in random ass spots all over the world. It was crazy fun. And that animation system was buggy as fuck but really immersive for the time it came out. At least as far as MMOs go. having a pvp fight and barely winning and then pulling off some brutal head chopping animation or whatever as a finishing blow feels good.
>>
>>333811931
shitty controls no end game
>>
>>333814782
>another WoW clone
did you even play it retard
>>
>>333820851
i thought the combat was fun and unique
>>
>>333818653
>WHO
Salt on the wounds. If there is one real reason to despise EA and all they stand for is Warhammer Online.

Private server will have tier 4 soon, maximum fucking hype.
>>
>>333818161
>women deal less damage than men

sounds like it was working as intended to me
>>
>>333818653
warhammer was already good actually
>>
>>333811931
No content at all and any class using Magic was overpowered as fuck, especially Healers.
>>
>>333811931
Majority of people quit after Level 58 when they realized that they needed to grind mobs till Level 80 instead of being able to grind via quests.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.