[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is ranger still shit? also poe thread i guess
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: header.jpg (54 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
54 KB, 460x215
So is ranger still shit?

also poe thread i guess
>>
I like this game, but I feel like an idiot stumbling through the story because I can't remember any of these old European names so I can never keep track of all the past and present actions of the various political groups.

Anyone else have this problem?
>>
>>333666103
Yeah, it's like reading a Dostojevskij book, to many names, nicknames and made up name
>>
>>333664802
with the right gear and abilities, rangers are dps monsters. Both the ranger and their pet got buffed so if you spec your pet for dps you can drop almost any enemy in a few seconds.

They're just not a really fun class to play because of their lack of active abilities, you just stand there and autocrit until everything dies
>>
>>333664802

Rangers haven't been shit since they re-balanced it

The pet is stronger, more durable due to scaling and has crazy ability support now

The ranger is a single target dps machine with a modal that lets him or her shoot two projectiles with a war bow at once. If you had stunning shots they can lock down a target easily with high dex and int.

Tangled roots or whatever was always great for literally stucking a target and keep it fucked off for 30-40 secs
>>
File: giphy.gif (480 KB, 493x342) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
480 KB, 493x342
>>333666250
You probably mean Tolstoi and you're probably thinking about War and Peace of which you have probably only read 10 pages. Then you stopped reading and played ' just one more round Dota '.

Kill yourself teenage faggot.
>>
>>333666972
Nope. And never even played data, or any of the clones
>>
Can we talk about Baldur's Gate too?
>>
>>333667386
Only Baldurs gate 2 if anything
>>
I haven't played the dlc. Are the new characters worth recruiting?
>>
>>333667616

How about both? Trying to decide if I want to make in Inquisitor or a multiclass Fighter/Cleric that I would take all the way to ToB
>>
>>333668201
Make a F/C and take Keldorn
>>
>>333668523

I was planning to run with Viconia. Doesn't he start shit with her?
>>
File: za.png (117 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
za.png
117 KB, 210x330
>>333667708
so there's two, a monk and a berserker. the monk is an interesting character, and monk are overall great in combat, so if you don't have a monk, picking him is a nice chance to try them out

I don't know about the berserker companion, as I don't like berserkers
>>
>>333669281

There's a rogue as well. Not sure how I feel about her.
>>
>>333668887
He does, take an Inquisitor if you don't want to bother with wizard fights
>>
>>333669497
oh, you're right, my bad. Completely forgot about her. I didn't pick her up as my main character was a rogue
>>
I'm playing through this for the first time. I'm just about to defeat the final boss. I also recently completed the Paths of Od Nua (but haven't killed the Master Below). Haven't done any White March.

It's a good game, but it's certainly not a masterpiece. The difficulty is really off... the bosses of each area are always noticeably harder than the rest of the enemies, so most of the areas are just boring until you get steamrolled by a boss.

I also thing their modifications to AD&D 2.5 are hit or miss. I love the concepts of endurance and auto-healing after fights, and the general idea behind ciphers, chanters, and barbarians (as they appear in PoE). But god damn, Obsidian really fucked up the process of creating spells. The spell levels are far less cogent than those in AD&D.

This game must've been tedious as FUCK on vanilla, before White March added party AI. I could not imagine having to pause every 2 seconds to queue up routine abilities.

Good writing, though.
>>
Best party composition?

My first game was barbarian, fighter, chanter, priest, cipher, and wizard.

But I think I should've done rogue, fighter, barbarian, priest, druid, and wizard.
>>
>>333669497
Her concept is pretty swell, the execution is pretty "hmmm".
>>
>>333669281
does the dlc improve the core mechanics? I loved the game but I was pissed when there was no scripting for henchmen.
>>
>>333670693
>I also thing their modifications to AD&D 2.5 are hit or miss
That´s because it is a wild and unstable amalgamation of D&D 3.5E and 4E, both of which could hardly be more different.
kind of vancian magic, but also encounter and daily powers. healing surges in form of health vis-a-vis endurance, yet also healing spells, the lower half of which are basically worthless, taking an action that a priest could do something much better, like simply attacking the enemy.

D&D healing was important because you did not simply regenerate completely so ever tiny amount healed was precious, PoEs healing is really superfluous, except for the dialed up encounter power of the priest, at least when MC is the priest.
>>
>>333671263
Apparently thats the case if you believe this absolute irredeemable coward right here >>333670693
>>
>>333670693
both patches 2.0 and 3.0 add a lot of changes, including party AI, quality-of-life improvements, improvements on the stronghold, reworked skills (made more relevant) and probably some things I'm forgetting.

everyone got those patches for free, but you can chose to buy the dlc for more story etc
>>
>>333671723
>absolute irredeemable coward

What brought this aggression on?
>>
Priest or chanter? which is more fun?
>>
Ranger hasn't been shit since like the second game post-patch.

Paladin, on the other hand, took a while longer. And it's honestly still pretty boring, even if it's actually competent now.
>>
>>333667708
Zahua is great, he's a monk and we're monk-bros fucking shit up. He's like the second or third best character in the game.

Devil of Caroc is annoying as fuck, probably the worst character in the entire game.

The fish woman barbarian is ok, but I like my main party without her.
>>
>>333674124
Chanter. Also, you're gonna have a Priest with you anyways in Durance, he shows up early in the game, has decent stats and great dialogue.
>>
File: reeeeeeeee.jpg (422 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
reeeeeeeee.jpg
422 KB, 1920x1080
>>333675212
>Devil of Caroc is annoying as fuck
>>
>>333675423
I think a big part of it is the annoying lines she has, and even worse is her voice actress.
>>
Are any points in the game that aren't depressing?
>>
>>333675354
>333675354
Durance is sadfrog incarnate
>>
>>333676238
More like madfrog.
>>
How the fuck do I fight Raedric?

Fucking five paladins, three mages, some sellsword fuckers, and this shitbird Raedric, holy fuck it's so much goddamn harder than literally every other fight in his keep.

I've tried kiting, but the character that goes up to talk gets fucking murked. So I have to fight on the platform, but I can't force any kind of position, and magic sucks shit because everyone is spread out. Interrupts everywhere because every enemy can attack, nothing is blocked.

WHAT do I do?
>>
>>333677554

I'm going to assume you haven't hired any additional party members at an inn, so your party is your PC, Eder, Aloth, and Durance, right? Is your PC a good tank? I was fortunate enough to make my main character into a full-tank paladin, so I could pull off the following strategy:

Set up defensive positions in the doorway on either side of Raederic's chamber. Your two best tanks should be blocking off the doorway while your casters are in the back. Have your toughest character run up to Raederic alone (or just attack whatever of his retinue is closest to the stairs, then run back to take up position in the doorway. You'll eat some attacks on the way, but hopefully you'll be able to handle it. From there, make sure Durance keeps up buffs on your tanks while Aloth ganks the enemy casters with his missiles or other hit-a-single-character-as-hard-as-you-can spells.

From there, Raedric's paladins will be the biggest pains in your ass due to their healing abilities and the fact that their armour keeps you from killing them, but just hold position and weather through it. If your tanks can stay the course, you should be able to grind Raedric's forces down to nothing in a protracted battle of attrition.

Of course, if you don't have the tanking ability to pull this off, you may have to go hire another character from the Gilded Vale in. That, or just skip Raedric's Keep for now and come back later. You can do that, you know.
>>
>>333677554
Make sure you have a full party before you even try that fight. If you're fighting him with 4 guys, you dun goofed.
>>
>>333678318
My PC is a monk, should I slap some armor on here and some dex weapons? I'm doing no armor, fists right now for the outrageous attack speed.

I have six. PC, Eder, Aloth, Durance, Kana, and Sagani.

Also, if I skip, how do respawns work? Are there none? Will I come back days later and the keep is the same? I just hit Act II, anyways.
>>
Who here is Larder Door master race?

I've got better shields, but I've been carrying it so long that my character just doesn't look right without it.
>>
>>333680183

Monk occupies kind of a weird place because if you try to tank in this scenario, you'll be able to hand out some incredible pain, but you probably won't be able to stand up to the damage you're taking unless you have a shitload of healing potions and spells on hand, so it's a question of whether you can wreck Raedric's tanks hard enough that they won't be able to skewer your squishier characters once your monk goes down and they can break through.

I'm pretty sure there's no respawns.

Don't forget the value of inn or food bonuses either, by the way. Those couple of points can make all the difference.
>>
>>333664802
The main issue with Rangers was that people were treating the pet as a Tank rather than an extension of their DPS.

Now that both Ranger and pet are buffed they are a more idiot proof.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.