[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is interactive humor for you? I'm a game developer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: hqdefault.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
What is interactive humor for you? I'm a game developer and this is really hard to make.
>>
If you're a dev getting advice from those dickweeds you've got quite a ways to go friend.
>>
>>333623425
>I'm a game developer
No you're not, and neither is Portnow
>>
>>333625529
They're probably one of the most pesudo-intelectual things you could listen to. Didn't the guy they tote around as being a game dev work on a like COD or something and now he feels like tough shit?
>>
>>333623425
western "comedy" in games
>satire on how shitty society is like GTA
>blatant fucking around and bad jokes like Undertale
>drier than sunbaked chips britbong humor like almost everything else

eastern "comedy" in games
>over the top EHHHHHHH animu shit
>untranslatable puns and cultural jokes that western translators have to make up with unrelated, poorly thought out jokes
>or just poorly injected lighthearted scenes that shows a lack of forethought or planning

what went wrong?
>>
>>333625968
Not even. He spent somewhere around 3 months developing a phone game. It wasn't like he did the whole thing, either. He just had a vaguely defined position in a team of people. For all we know he could've been the guy who got the coffee.

Extra Credits is such a fucking joke and every time they tout that someone on their team has "Real developer experience" I die in the inside. Even if it wasn't a blatant appeal to authority it's hugely dishonest in it's own right.
>>
>>333623425
the best form of interactive humor is a narrator that comments on your moves, but your game needs the adequate atmosphere for it.

for example, while Portal is a serious game for the most part, glados's sarcastic and sometimes hateful comments as you pass through the levels is pretty funny to listen to because it represents a deranged robot in a environment of ruin and yet the she still finds the space to make colorful jokes about how you were an unwanted child.

it is also about timing. certain forms of comedy is appropriate in some situations while some forms are not.

in the middle of a gunfight you don't want your partner to be making shitty fart jokes unless he's absolutely deranged, and in the middle of a light cutscene you don't want to suddenly inject morbid dead baby jokes or something.
>>
>>333623425
Comedy is all about timing and relation to a tight narrative. This makes it hard for a game to be funny because the player's actions could completely throw the timing of a joke off. Most games that succeed in being comedic are either have a narrative focus, like point-and-click adventure games, or have extremely tight design, like Portal. Other games tend to confine their humor to dialogue trees/cutscenes. RPGs like Fallout New Vegas have some funny conversations, but in actual gameplay the humor is mostly derived from humorous scenarios or gratuitous violence. Some games manage to have humor and organic gameplay side-by-side, like Godhand and The Wonderful 101. I'm not exactly sure what design philosophy allows this, but I think it has a lot to do with their overall tone as opposed to any setup/payoff structure.
>>
>>333623425
Remember we are running out of internet.
>>
Oh look, it's Extra Cucks
>>
File: v in a nutshell.jpg (45 KB, 425x315) Image search: [Google]
v in a nutshell.jpg
45 KB, 425x315
this.
>>
File: tumblr_ne4nyyCBdR1rgwd81o1_400.gif (1 MB, 310x320) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ne4nyyCBdR1rgwd81o1_400.gif
1 MB, 310x320
>>333625725
Yes i am or not :u
>>333626996
Yeah maybe some weird stuff is the way to make my game funny.
>>
Step #1: Stop listening to the dumb idiots behind Extra Pretentious
>>
>>333623425

GUYS

WE'RE RUNNING OUT OF AIR SPACE FOR SIGNALS

THERE'S ONLY SO MUCH BANDWIDTH THAT'S PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE GUYS

AND WE'VE ALREADY HIT THE CAP, TECHNOLOGY CAN'T ADD BANDWIDTH

WE'RE DOOMED

ALSO CRYSTALS MAN, AND SPIRIT SCIENCE

I know Spirit Science guy isn't part of Extra Credits but god damn he might as well be. The crystal shit though? EC is all about dem energy crystals, mang
>>
>>333626362
Jesus fuck really? And they think they know what's best for game development? What a fucking joke.
>>
>>333628179
sometimes i wonder if the guy from spirit science does more reasearch by talking to his zoth (a fucking egiptian god) than extra credits does talking to james.
>>
>>333623425
Make a game that's personal to you. If you're funny, it will be.
>>
Interactive humor one good example comes to mind. It's not gonna make /v/ happy though because it's from Undertale.

The part where earlier in the game you get that long explanation about a maze based and what each color tile means. At first the joke seems like the maze was never going to be hard because the "random generator" just created a strait line, but then later they make the maze for real and you just have to remember all that stuff from earlier.

It was a pretty good classic setup/payoff.
>>
>>333623425
See comic relief evil HK-47
See South Park stick of truth for making fun of games and DnD
>>
Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden was really good about this in leading you on into thinking some kind of JRPG gameplay cliche was going to happen then deflating it or turning it on it's head like the monster hunting board they give you a longwinded tutorial on like it's going to be a major series of sidequests then you only ever use it once.
>>
>>333623425
Fuck Extra Credits, it's the worst fucking thing in the world.

Stanley Parable did interactive humour perfectly.
>>
>>333628794
classic brick joke
most of undertale's humour is 'unexpected' type humour, which works well in the context of the game because you can play with the player's expectations of the mechanics as well as the story
>>
>>333623425
I am also a game developer. Here is my advice to you:

1- Stop watching Extra Credits
2- Read books instead
3- If you can't be funny by yourself, give up
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.