[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Render engine company Otoy managed to run real-time pathtrac
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: Glasses_800_edit.png (3 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Glasses_800_edit.png
3 MB, 2048x1536
Render engine company Otoy managed to run real-time pathtracing(ray-tracing) on a single gtx 980

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQEYVbZETVM

Console peasants on suicide watch
>>
They've also directly integrated this into unreal engine 4
>>
>Implying this won't just make games more expensive to develop

I really wish graphics had never been a priority. I can only be disappointed with this.
>>
>>333612078
no more need to pre-bake light maps, ao, fake sss
no more need to code fake refracting, lighting etc
>more expensive
if anything, it will make everything much more cheaper and efficient
>>
>>333612078
Artists aren't even close to the highest expenditure of a AAA game, retard. Try marketing, which Bungie for example spent FIVE HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS on for a single game.
>>
>>333612019
Oh boy, another lighting feature we'll see removed because consoles can't handle it.
>>
>>333612078
Graphics wouldn't be a problem if games were designed for open ended technology. When consumers demand better visuals, but you're still making games for 8 year old hardware, you end up sacrificing a lot of potential in order to make the game not run like complete ass.
>>
>>333612442
there's plenty of arist resources and no more ugly pre-drawn textures. instead there's pbr and other materials that they can copy paste from databases such as quixel's megascans or substance's material database. almost all big companies already use those. if anything, vidya development is becoming more easier for both developers and artists
>>
>>333612078
Lmao
Marketing is the priority in games nigga, graphics only come second and it's because it's part of the marketing.

Ray tracing is definitely more expensive right now, due to the sheer power demand. It's going to take a few more years for a standard custom PC to be able to handle a full modern sized game with ray traced graphics at a STABLE 30 fps.

However ray tracing won't just help with graphics my friend, aside form having realistic lighting, shadows and reflection, collision detecting and the accuracy of physics and whatnot can also improve. And a dev can now be more creative with light and gameplay concepts that involve light or shooting arrays.
>>
>>333611882
>low res recording of a screen
Haha very funny.
>>
>>333612078
Content creation will be exactly the same.
Optimisation might be different however.
>>333612435
you have no idea who this works do you?
>>
File: 1459465090745.jpg (16 KB, 294x260) Image search: [Google]
1459465090745.jpg
16 KB, 294x260
Btw this is being released next year with octane 4 and will be available for ue4 and possibly unity.
>>
>>333613028
ray-traying requires more shading unity, cuda core for nvidia, openCL for AMD. pascal gen has more than double the amount of maxwell, if all turns out right we shouldn't have to wait any longer than 2 more gpu-gens before we get solid 60fps ray-tracing on pc
>>
>>333611882
So you're telling me that in 10 years I'll be able to see this advancement in use because developers make their games for the weakest consoles and then just port 'em. Very interesting.
>>
File: kepmnt.jpg (35 KB, 698x476) Image search: [Google]
kepmnt.jpg
35 KB, 698x476
Note that there isn't a single animation running in that scene.

It's great technology and definitely the future of game engines but it's likely not nearly as close as you think it is.

Also I have no idea how path tracing would deal with proposed voxel-tri hybrid engines which are considered by folks like Carmack to be the inevitable evolutionary path for game engines (e.g. voxels to handle terrain).
>>
>>333611882
People really need to stop looking at ray-tracing as some sort of holy grail.
>>
>>333613685
voxels are still rendered as polygons, there's no reason it wouldn't work.
>>
>>333614348
>not wanting photo realistic graphics in vidya
enjoy your ubisoft games
>>
>>333614473
We have photorealistic games.
They're still not fun.
>>
>>333613609
>60fps ray tracing on pc
Not with the modern game scope mang, i give you credit for dreaming big, but I'll give it 4 more GPU gens before we get 60 fps stable full sized games, running at 1920 x 1080 minimum with ray tracing.
But I do hope you are right anon.

Also, just how much more powerful will the Pascal be?
I have a 970 right now, and I am planning on upgrading to pascal asap.
>>
>>333615597
10%
>>
>>333612435
Well, but don't you have to define transparency and reflective properties of every game object? That sounds like quite a workload too.
>>
>>333615407
>photorealistic games
name one
sw:battlefront is not photorealistic, it lacks plenty of graphical features and detail.
realism also requires realistic gameplay is most games lack due to money.
>>
>>333615851
almost all aaa companies use material libraries such as substance or quixel and they all have pre-generated alpha and glossy maps. no extra work at all.
>>
Didn't someone get ray tracing working with Quake Wars, or is that not the same thing?
>>
>>333615974
What about Battlefront is not photorealistic?
Physically based shading and lighting is easily affordable on current gen hardware, and is used in every single game engine.

If you're complaining about not being able to see every single pore on a face then you're mistaking photorealism with graphical fidelity. Fidelity cannot make something 100% photorealistic 100% of the time, only in certain set ups. That is why we have PBR developed.

In it's current state, ray tracing and path tracing is far too expensive to increase fidelity dramatically, it will use the same techniques as currently, only in a less abstracted manner, similar to offline rendering.
>>
>>333616379
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtHDSG2wNho
this?
there's no refracting, no ao, no light photons, no natural ao. it only seems to feature reflections and those can already be done on with ssr with most game engines
>>
>>333616612
battlefront has no refractions, no volumetrics, only rough reflections, ssao not ray traced, if anything the only good thing battlefront has is the photogammetry textures combined with pbr
>>
>>333615782
>10%
fug
>>
File: hypeisnotreal.gif (21 KB, 120x25) Image search: [Google]
hypeisnotreal.gif
21 KB, 120x25
>>333617343
raytracing does not automatically fix any of those.
You could do those in rasterization in an abstracted matter, just like how they do so with AO.

In it's current cost it would be far too expensive to raytrace everything in a scene, so abstractions will still remain.
Light sources will be parametrised points in a scene, ambient light will be done with SSAO with baked textures and spherical harmonics and reflections will still be mostly cubemaps and SSR.

Raytracing will be used for situations in which an effect cannot be abstracted believably, not all of the time.
Don't get too excited. It won't fix everything.
>>
>>333616379
It looks like what they're doing is stochastic raytracing, which will provide soft shadows, ao, caustics, and so on "for free." Quake Wars used plain old single-ray multiple bounces raytracing, which only gives you reflections and maybe refractions.
>>
>>333611882
Too bad raytracing sucks shit at handling animations. Come back once they sorted that out.
>>
Hasn't PowerVR had ray tracing for a while now?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbZxCHr7Lu8
>>
File: disappoint.png (104 KB, 318x308) Image search: [Google]
disappoint.png
104 KB, 318x308
I DON'T UNDERSTAND A SINGLE WORD SAID IN THIS WHOLE FUCKING THREAD, SPEAK ENGLISH YOU FUCKING GOOKS
>>
I want ray tracing for two things:

No more shitty fucking shadows

No more fucking cubemap reflections

I am so fucking done with both of these shitty things. Ever since I saw cubemap reflections in Unreal Tournament 2003, I knew we were in for some chop. It's such a cheap way to fake reflections and since games are aiming for console casual Chris who has no idea what a cubemap is and doesn't even realize how terrible the reflections are, it was a given they were going to take hold. SSR isn't any better either as it has a ton of fucking artifacts and can't reflect shit that's off screen.

As for shadows. We've come a long way since fullbright Quake 1 software days. And while many game engines have at least adopted fully dynamic shadows, some game engines still don't and push for static lighting. Garbage. What's also garbage is the current techniques available for handling dynamic shadows. You either deal with stencil volumes which absolutely blow from an optimization standpoint, or you use shadow maps which also have significant limitations.

Ray tracing completely fixes both of these problems at no workload expense to the developers. If the hardware is there to fully utilize it for these two elements, I would hope to god that some game developers take up the torch and carry us into the new era of real-time graphics. Shit has stagnated heavily since around 2004 with only a select handful of titles really pushing the envelope. And that's not nice.
>>
>>333614361
Yeah, but rendering versus representation in space are two different things. I guess it depends on where they're converted to polys in the pipeline. Not pretending to know the ins and outs of engines that don't really exist in a large capacity yet.
>>
>>333621989
you need to watch more Carmack keynotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyUgHPs86XM
>>
Why aren't there extremely simple graphic games using ray tracing out yet? Even some boxes look nice like this.
>>
>>333622692
They did it with Quake 1 a few years back.
>>
>>333622039
Ray tracing is far too expensive to solve either of those problems in realtime.
If you used raytracing for lighting and reflections you'd get noisy garbage.

Nothing really needs to replace cubemap reflections, you can avoid obvious problems with some roughness mixed with parallax correction and SSR
>>
>>333622405
John Carmack said years ago that voxel based rendering probably won't be worth it.
Content will still mostly be texture mapped triangle meshes that are voxelised in the engine.

Voxels however are useful for volumetric effects.
>>333615974 Unlike what this guy believes, the Frostbite engine does have volumetric rendering, which uses voxels.
http://www.frostbite.com/2015/08/physically-based-unified-volumetric-rendering-in-frostbite/
>>
>>333622692
Here you go.
This is an example of raytracing being used to simulate an effect that cannot be done in rasterization.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pmSPlYHxoY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvU-srHhQxw
>>
>>333624123
Well by the description it still implements some additional logic to "lengthen" the travel time.

In reality it's not far off from typical portals in games.
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Portal

I don't see how raytacing/pathtracing implements anything innovative for gameplay that wouldn't be possible to do already.
>>
and it won't be used because companies paid huge for engine licenses/development so older stuff should buy-off first
>>
>>333621989
>>>/wikipedia/

You're already an illiterate piece of shit, so why not access babby's first exposure to knowledge?
>>
>>333622039
The trouble is with current techniques, if you want to do raytracing in real time even on GPU you're spending your entire frame time on the damn thing, but games need to do more than just display a nice looking physically accurate image on the screen.
>>
>>333626147
It is very different. Portals are done with just camera tricks alone. No real distortion of space.
>>
>>333626147
It's rather different to portal rendering as it changes to speed of light to create those effects.

Here he made a game out of the unique abilities of ray tracing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl40xidKF-4
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.