[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PS2 #1?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: ps2.jpg (202 KB, 930x523) Image search: [Google]
ps2.jpg
202 KB, 930x523
So is the ps2 the best console ever?, why so or why not. If not what is?
>>
>>333607609
great variety of games and a comfy controller.
so yes
>>
>>333607609
yea, cause it was the most fun

thats what its about
>>
I remember everybody had different games at their house unlike xbox and especially gamecube where they had the same 5-20 games.
>>
>>333609206
>different combintions of shovelware

k
>>
>best console ever
subjective

It had a lot of great titles not on any other systems, and it had a lot of great titles that were on other systems but were better on PS2. So I can see why people call it the best console ever.

I actually prefer to play the Sega saturn like a fucking faggot over the ps2 most times
>>
File: 144607050077812.jpg (67 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
144607050077812.jpg
67 KB, 600x480
>>333607609
While I do believe your preference in console depends largely of how old you are and what your first console was, I think even objectively the ps2 was the best of its time. My first was an n64 then ps2 then ps3. I think I would've enjoyed a gamecube. Xbone can take a hike but, they did have og halo. Just my opinion.
>>
>>333607609

No.

Shit controller, ugly design, crappy hardware prone to failure, 1000:1 shovelware to good game ratio, ushered in the age of "cinematic" gaming and casuals.

PS2 was when it all started going wrong, not when it was the best it ever was. I don't care if it was your childhood, it was still shit.
>>
>>333609873
>>333609596
>he bought a xbox
>>
>>333609771
Same for me, I had a PS, gamecube, and got a wii and ps2 when the new generation was coming out. I was lucky to be given a collection of over 20 games.
>>
>>333609596
0/10

>>333607609
10/10
>>
>>333610028

I bought all three systems from that generation. I've had to replace two broken PS2s, the xbox and GC are still working fine.
>>
>>333609873
>Shit controller
Kinda true, but the DS2 is the best of all the Dualshocks.
>crappy hardware prone to failure
Very true, I don't trust Sony after owning one. Er, make that three of them.
>1000:1 shovelware to good game ratio
But there are enough games that there are lots of good ones.
>ushered in the age of "cinematic" gaming and casuals.
Anon, how old are you? It was the first Playstation that did that.
>>
>>333610263
Dodgy hardware is undeniable but not even close to as bad as other highly held consoles like the 360.
>>
>>333610263
I've had mine for 14 years now and it still works fine.
>>
>>333610312
I feel like since we had the internet shovelware doesn't matter as much, not like back with nes where all you have is the cover and it could be shit.
>>
>>333610549

Have you ever even turned it on?

At the very the least it should be having disc read issues all the time by now. The laser assembly was notorious for failing.
>>
>>333610906
Just be happy for him anon, I no longer have my ps2 and it makes me cry(want to kill myself)
>>
>>333610906
it probably has an online time of 100000+ hours, famalam
>>
>>333609206
it is something i miss this days.

everytime i go to a friends house to play something it is always the same triple A games everyone has.
>>
>>333611189
100%, we have to much AAA and indie shit and barely any in between. Where are the middle budget fun games anymore.
>>
File: 1460071840171.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1460071840171.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
it's a good system
>>
It sold so much that everybody developed for it for a long time and it just ended up with a huge library.
>>
>>333611118

A regularly used PS2 only lasted a few years on average before it would begin to have disc read issues. Sony was cheap with the laser assembly for every model.

Either you are EXTREMELY lucky or you are lying.
>>
>>333611801
Weren't the slim models a lot better as far as defects went?
>>
>>333611290
Never gonna happen mate. It is all AAA filled with dlc and services or Artsy indie games that are poorly made. We have some exceptions here and there but honestly my faith in the industrie is zero to none.
>>
>>333611927

Yes and no.

Design defects were fixed (and new ones introduced), security holes closed, etc. but as far as off the shelf parts, e.g. the DVD drive, they were as cheap as ever.
>>
>>333612161
The PC had a promising middle of the road game market for a while but now it's indie shit, AAA, and shovelware
>>
It really depends on what you grew up with and what genres you liked.

My favorite is the PSX because it basically was the golden age/bastion of JRPG's.
>>
>>333612389
True, i was actually going to get a better pc isntead of a ps4 but i had too many problems with my noteboks runing games and a lot of other shit.
>>
>>333612578
it was my first console but all I really remember playing was crash, spyro and some wwe game
>>
I honestly think the SNES is the best console of all time. It had arguably the greatest games ever and many amazing RPG's (Final Fantasy 4 and 6, secret of mana, chrono trigger, super Mario RPG, illusion of Gaia, and many more). Only flaw was blowing into the cartridges to get the game to start.
>>
File: 2013-07-07 16-39-40.029.jpg (193 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
2013-07-07 16-39-40.029.jpg
193 KB, 640x360
>>333607609
why can't sony make a durable console that can withstand the test of time to save their lives? PS2 break so fucking easy but luckily they sold tons of them so they are easy enough to find replacements.

microsoft is just as bad:

xbox original self destruct if left alone too long (outside of the 1.6 or something)

xbox 360 nuff said.

i bought a sega saturn out of the back of some rednecks pickup truck and when i opened it up it looked like it suffered FLOOD DAMAGE (rusty and shit) and it still works 10+ years later!
>>
>>333613529
>xbox original self destruct if left alone too long (outside of the 1.6 or something)

What? Apart from the Thompson drives that plagued the launch version the original XBOX was a fucking rock.

But you are right about the Sega Saturn, that thing was built to last. Sega apparently thought they went a little overboard with the build quality and toned it down for the Dreamcast. That's why the Dreamcast is plagued with issues.
>>
>>333613529
Sega saturns sound awesome but I don't know much about them, I should keep my eyes out for one.
>>
>>333614040
the clock capacitors eventually leak and completely brick revision 1.0-1.5 xbox systems, only the newest revision does't suffer from the problem.

snapping off the click capacitor before it leaks does fix the problem but you have that popup wanting you to set the time everytime you turn the xbox on.
>>
>>333611290
Going to have to become a weeb or look to indies for those. AAA publishers spent the past few years looking for ways to kill off everyone else in the industry.
>>
>>333613135
SNES is just an inferior version of Genesis.

RPGs a shit
>>
File: 2012-01-13 18-37-18.254.jpg (201 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
2012-01-13 18-37-18.254.jpg
201 KB, 640x360
>>333614490
>>
>>333614279
Atl least some indie studios have talent and are actual multi person companies able to make good games. Games like Divinity original sin make me hope more larger indie dev studios pop up.
>>
>>333609873
You know, I wanted to say you were just unlucky until I read >>333611801. Yeah, it reminds me of that ONLY ONE time when I bumped on my fat PS2 while it was playing because I tripped over and then the disc driver stopped playing properly.

Nowadays, I just play stuff on my HDD so it doesn't matter anymore.
>>
>>333614535
Fantastic here is a Genesis with its best version of Snatcher and best version of Virtua Figher add ons.

Now THIS is the greatest console of all time.
>>
>>333614254

That problem was not as common as you are making out, most people just snap them off because it's better to be safe than sorry and they are inconsequential to operation for the most part. It's certainly not as if every xbox has a ticking timebomb in it.
>>
>>333614859
Someones mom bought them a genesis when all his friends had a snes
>>
>>333614925
it's very much a sooner or later thing, i'm actually on my second xbox now as my first one literally had said capacitor blow up and died in the middle of playing conker live and reloaded.

i tried everything i could to bring it back to life with no luck (complete disassembly and scrubbing the electrolitic fluid off ect)
>>
>>333615115
Only nerds owned SNES, I didn't have any nerds as friends
>>
>>333615316
kek, found the guy who had no friends
>>
>>333615486
In my experience people who owned SNES tended to get beaten up at school since they were wimpy (couldn't deal with fast games like Thunder Force IV even) and they had nobody to protect them
>>
>>333615158

I've got two xbox, both launch models.

For one the capacitor blew ages ago. I discovered the issue by accident when cleaning the drive. I ignored it, didn't even bother cleaning it up, and the xbox continued to run fine for years. I'd still be using it today except the DVD drive finally died completely.

For the other xbox it has yet to blow.
>>
File: 1428362502359.jpg (317 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1428362502359.jpg
317 KB, 1920x1080
>>333611290
Middle market games, they died towards the end of last generation.

There is 2 reasons why this happened.

1. Nearly every big company decided they would rather have huge risks, and huge rewards. They no longer wanted modest success, or slow burner games. It was AAA or go the fuck home.

2. The AAA market and fanboys has ruined the standard of games. Basically if a game doesn't have lifelike graphics, then people will call the game shit right off the bat without giving it a shot. So companies basically either have to make a super cheap pixel art indie game, or a AAA high budget game.

It's extremely sad. Especially when you consider the biggest franchises of today STARTED as middle market titles. Remember GTA started as that, Call of Fucking Duty started as that. So because companies refuse to try something modest, you will never see the next Resident Evil, or Splinter Cell.

Sad when games like Earth Defense Force, and the various Warriors games, that while they have flaws and don't look amazing, are fun games that stand apart from everything else. Yet retard people in industry will cry WOW SHIT GRAPHICS WOW IGN GAVE 5.5 "TOO MUCH GAMEPLAY, TOO GAMEY".

That's why. I'll give Nintendo credit, they don't overbudget games, they still make middle market titles. A recent example was Splatoon, as middle market title with a AAA advertising budget (for Nintendo anyway, which is extremely modest in comparison). And look how that gamble turned out, they have a new killer IP.

PS2 and that gen was filled to the brim with amazing middle market games, hell AAA barely existed then outside of games like Halo2, GTA SA, and maybe MGS3. I wish we could go back.
>>
>>333615748
Twice as many people had a SNES, pretty sure it wasn't just the nerdy kids who got beat up.
>>
>>333616342
Sad but true reality
>>
File: 1454153367222.gif (45 KB, 560x582) Image search: [Google]
1454153367222.gif
45 KB, 560x582
Most people seem to believe either the PS2 or the SNES are the best consoles of all time
>>
Sega Genesis, NES or SNES would be my personal contenders for best consoles ever.

PS2 is awesome, but not particularly on my top 5 even.

I think it's mostly a generational thing, I didn't grew up with PS2, I was already in college when PS2 came out. But I guess I can understand how for many of you it's the best.
>>
test
>>
>>333617469
wtf niggort
>>
>>333616342
>Nearly every big company decided they would rather have huge risks, and huge rewards. They no longer wanted modest success, or slow burner games. It was AAA or go the fuck home.

The companies did not decide this, the market did.

Not one publisher is happy that they spend up to and over $100 million making a game and risk having it flop and I have no idea why you would think this is true. In fact, they have all publicly bemoaned that that's the state of the industry now.

The reason why "modest success" doesn't work is that there is no such thing as a cheap b-grade game anymore. It used to be you could do that sort of thing with only a few million dollars, now a b-grade game is closer to a $20 million investment. The increases in technology have lead to an increase in development costs and unfortunately the market is not compensating well enough.

Let's take Binary Domain, for example. A perfectly competent b-grade TPS for the last gen. Received generally positive reviews. Sales amounted to less than 100,000. Didn't come close to covering it's relatively small budget. That is the story of so many b-grade games today.
>>
ps2 is probably the best yeah. It's got good variety. It got ur hardcore games but also shit like who wants to be a millionaire. There's somethin for everyone
>>
>>333617853
It literally all scale, middle market games still succeed and fail, just like AAA.
>>
>>333617853
>The companies did not decide this, the market did.
which is why I followed with
>The AAA market and fanboys has ruined the standard of games

I think we actually are on the same page. The advent of HD games, and higher standards have made it impossible to make a modest middle market title anymore.

Sure companies would prefer if they could make games cheaper,but at the same time they know if they make their games look better, then they will sell better. Instead they could be making better gameplay, and let their games gain traction that way. Which brings to mind that platinum games are actually one of the last middle market devs out there who are successful. Extremely fun games, made on modest budgets, with modest advertising, with modest graphics. Their gameplay speaks for itself, which is why they do so well when their games don't really look AAA graphics wise.
>>
>>333618481

Platinum Games aren't exactly consistent in their success.

I think Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising were the only really successful games they have had, though I understand that Metal Gear Rising did not do as well as expected.

MadWorld flopped. Anarchy Reigns flopped. Vanquish scraped by. Wonderful 101 flopped. I don't know how Korra or Transformers did but they are licensed titles so I guess they probably did okay.

Incidentally, having to make licensed titles is usually a sign that a developer is not doing well financially.
>>
>>333618481
I hear Platinum has to rely on contract work, publishers, and licensed content to stay in the biz. They'll never ever be able to release games on their own and have to be the bottom bitch to the publisher to get their games out.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.