[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do we fix Morrowind?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 25
File: mZuroLe[1].jpg (105 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
mZuroLe[1].jpg
105 KB, 1024x768
How do we fix Morrowind?
>>
>>333603725
I dont see any bronken thing in it.
Care to elaborate?
>inb4 miss miss miss
>>
File: morrowshit.png (748 KB, 1021x920) Image search: [Google]
morrowshit.png
748 KB, 1021x920
>>333603725
>How do we fix Morrowind?
With the truth.
>>
I like morrowind so I'm gonna put this here, I have to give away the interest I have earned on my savings because it's unlawful for me so who wants it? I'm Muslim btw
>>
who cares it's literally dad version of skyrim
>>
>a bit more subtlety in the ambient music
>some more "attitude" types during conversations about genric things like asking for directions
>fix how shitty it is to select spells
All I could think of right off the bat. Keep in mind I haven't tried Morrowind with any significant mods.
>>
>>333603725

In that case, replace every generic response with a specific one. Every character having a "class" is kind of dumb, especially when I ask a shopkeep about his trade and he tells me he's a bard or a spellsword or something. Maybe have a few generic lines for rumors and general advice, but most would be improved by being specific to each character, although that's a lot of writing so it's clear why they chose not to.

Other big things would be replacing RNG systems with more reliable, but still number-based systems.
>>
It's already perfect. Okay, not really, but still much better than it's successors. One thing that really annoys me with Oblivion/Skyrim is that thanks to the voices and dialogue you can't have mods that enhances the guild questlines, main quest, npc dialogue in general because it just becomes unimmersive as fuck having random unvoiced lines here and there. And quest mods in general are more rare because they either have to find okay-ish amateur voice actors or just have little dialogue. In a series where mods are the main draw, it sucks that the most recent releases are the least friendly towards the best types of mods.
>>
Combat and stealth could be smoothed out.
>>
>>333605667
Stealth definitely is one of the weaker points in the game. It's very unreliable until 60 or so stealth, so you're forced to find some NPC to exploit, crouchwalking into his wall for several hours until you have some stealth experience.
>>
>>333605772
>>333605667
I can confirm this, I played thief 2 back then, and this got my eye because "it was possible to be a thief, but instead of a single mission or map, its a huge island full of towns and stuff to steal"
I got fucking wet right there, but later it hit me, how retarded this game was compared to thief (even the newest hitman game has a worse AI than thief 2, so i cant really complain) in stealth mechanics and how the AI worked.

Still liked the game, but at first was just a regular thief and a murder, then i started some quests, but when i reached caius home, i already had one place to stay and filled with shit to sell or to store.
>rob the thiefs guild up to the point there was nothing left
>>
>>333606165
You didn't expect thief-style mechanics in a game where stealth was only a small part of it though did you?
>>
>>333604826
wat
>>
File: 1459905381025.jpg (27 KB, 514x536) Image search: [Google]
1459905381025.jpg
27 KB, 514x536
>>333603725
How do we fix OP ?
>>
I liked Oblivion far more, partially because the combat was not garbage. To be fair, I think Morrowind has more freedom and RPG elements and Oblivion isn't perfect, but still.
>>
>>333606325
Yes, i was that naive back then.
>>
File: 29750898.jpg (24 KB, 300x260) Image search: [Google]
29750898.jpg
24 KB, 300x260
>>333604826

I will take your money, Muslim tax evader
>>
>>333603725
better collision and pathfinding for npcs
make combat encounters turn based similar to what they did with vats but obviously with more tactical options
then it will be perfect
>>
File: eKwKl.jpg (116 KB, 948x808) Image search: [Google]
eKwKl.jpg
116 KB, 948x808
>>333603725
>>333603725

Well for starters, we need to delete some of the problematic content.
>>
>>333603725
With some mods.
>>
Maybe we should start bitching about every game that is 10+ year old that it "needs" fixing.

Sam way we can do this for witcher 3 in 20 years.
Just

DONT

PLAY

IT

MOFOS
>>
>>333604784
>implying this image isn't for Oblivionbabbies
>>
>>333606659
>delete vivec
You just can´t.
>>
>>333603725
change the battle system and update graphics and engine so basically the Skywind mod
>>
I want to install modded Morrowind for the first time. Do you guys have a guide with recommended stuff?
>>
>>333605421
>the most recent releases are the least friendly towards the best types of mods
>because the quality overall is better

Jesus fucking christ. What a wank.
>>
>>333606659
>i'm gonna rape you. I'll be gentle

Reddit as fuck in here.
>>
>>333607810
>quality is overall better
How? Quest mods for Skyrim require voice acting to not stick out like a sore thumb which means less people are gonna bother making proper quest mods and tend to not be as involving as most of the quest mods we saw in Morrowind. The presence of voice acting alone doesn't make it of a higher quality.
>>
>>333608126
>How?

You just said. The modders cannot overcome the need for voice actors, which you've just stated leads to a lack of immersion.
>>
File: 20160314130319_1.jpg (180 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160314130319_1.jpg
180 KB, 1920x1080
>>333608209
Not him, but are you trying to argue that voiced dialogue somehow increases the game's quality?

All it does is impede writing. Even if you wanted to make a quest mod and you had a voice actor ready, you're limited to short exchanges because it's hard to get someone to do good acting while reading through a paragraph or more of text in one sitting. It's better for immersion if no dialogue is voiced at all in games with mods, because then mods can add their own dialogue without the user ever knowing which is from the mod and which is vanilla, it's all a seamless world.

LGNPC mod for Morrowind is a prime example of the quality available when voiced lines aren't a thing.
>>
>>333608209

>which you've just stated leads to a lack of immersion.

Not that guy, but that's only by contrast to the rest of the game. Voice acting alone doesn't make for a more immersive experience, but talking to a bunch of NPC's with voices and then starting a quest with a guy who's 100% silent is very jarring.

If anything, the voice acting in Elder Scrolls games often makes them immersive, since you hear a lot of different characters with the same voice actors saying the same lines.
>>
>>333608209
Then I don't understand your original post. Skyrim's regular questlines are so fucking bad. Having quest mods would at least give you a reason to play, but you barely see any. This is not an issue Morrowind had.

The lack of immersion isn't BECAUSE there wouldn't be voice acting, but because everything else has so it just doesn't work. That's my entire point with how Oblivion/Skyrim is unfriendly towards quest mods.
>>
>>333603725
1. remove the combat system entirely
2. remove the ancient evil awakening plotline
3. make it a game about archeology, metaphysics and political scheming in which you decide the future of morrowind by unearthing or fabricating evidence and using it to destabilize or aid various factions

>incite a slave revolt to economically ruin a great house
>construct a theological argument that splits the temple in half
>present some poor schmuck as the nerevarine to manipulate the tribes
>orchestrate a coup that will force an imperial military intervention
>>
>>333603725
uninstall it
>>
>>333608646
Honestly I think I prefer the voice acting though. Like I can't even imagine Skyrim or Oblivion without it now
>>
>>333608646
>somehow increases the game's quality?

Nope, but logically, people who for some reason do not want to mod shit for a game without voicing stuff seems to be rather strange if it's not about voiced dialogue increasing a games quality. I don't see why you couldn't simply mute ALL characters, and then there would be no problem. If I recall correctly Morrowind had fucking voice actors anyway for some stuff, so what's the problem?

>you're limited
>because it's hard

Well fuck me, what a retard. I'm sorry you can't do a good job because it's hard, faggot. That doesn't mean that it brings down a games quality either. That just means that your pathetic little modding community is short of talent or energy to make use of these different qualities the game posesses (which MORROWIND HAS AS WELL YOU DUMB FUCK, as well as many other RPGs such as Planescape: Torment etc.)

>>333608705
Well yeah, but Morrowind had NPC's talking a few lines too and not others, and that didn't seem to cause too many problems.

>>333608737
My original post was pointing out that you're basically calling for games have less "parts" to them, so to speak, merely because a washed out modding community didn't want to go through the effort of making extra stuff for the game.
>>
>>333606439
But Oblivion is the worst game out of the series
>>
Morrowind is inherently bad compared to Oblivion overall.
Oblivion is bad compared to Skyrim.
Then Skyrim, etc.

Key features in each game are better than the other, but the overall features of each sequel is better.
>>
File: Koala2.jpg (59 KB, 338x274) Image search: [Google]
Koala2.jpg
59 KB, 338x274
>>333604784
morrowfags btfo

>Love Oblivion so try "the best elder scrolls ever made"
>wow this is a pretty neat start
>do some quests in the starting village
>trek to the next town
>walk at a snails pace
>entire world is brown
>die to a fucking ant because the combat is shit
>a fucking ant
>crashes constantly
>>
>>333609384
>1. remove the combat system entirely
Just a walking pol simulator.
Leave the combat, but make it less accesible, how to weapons and shit, take advantage of that miss miss meme. unless you have a proper weapon training, you will be a miss miss shit, maybe hit a few punches.
combat is not bad, it was the best for its time because that RNG simulates the unknow while you are on a fight. now with motion controls and all kind of shit what is left is force feedback to your body to feel what its happening.
like laser shot, when they put you a chest piece with gamepad vibrators.
>>
>>333609753
You took it all backwards, it was allways worse than before.
>>
>>333609581
>have the idea about an elaborate quest mod
>have some programming experience to design the quest to go with the story you have in mind, spend your own free time to make it

>have the idea about an elaborate quest mod
>have some programming experience to design the quest, put in the dialogue
>dialogue is jarring since no voice is coming out when the previous NPC I spoke to had voice
>can't very well voice every line yourself obviously since then we're back to the jarring/unimmersive issue
>have to find several people to voice the various characters, and they must be able to not shit themselves in front of a decent mic
>and since you wanted the mod to be elaborate and not just a walk through a couple of dungeons there's gonna be a lot of lines and not many people are gonna want to do that for free
>mod takes waaay longer to make because other people can be hard to work with and just finding the time to do this at all for everyone

But of course you fail to see the problem here because you love sounding cool and cynical on the internet. There are a few decent quest mods for Skyrim though, but many of them fall into the "walk through a couple of dungeons" category.
>>
>>333603725
By waiting for openMW to be faster and more stable
>>
1. You need to know what the fuck you're doing to play it

2. You need to be able to resist the temptation to use the command console

3. You need to have a better attention span than a rodent to read the dialogue

There.
>>
>>333610356
It's already stable as fuck.
We fix it by waiting for OpenMW to dehardcode Morrowind so people can do more expansive mods.
>>
File: 1452221295014.jpg (389 KB, 1284x980) Image search: [Google]
1452221295014.jpg
389 KB, 1284x980
>>333606659
>>333606785
>Vivec had sex with Molag Bal 80 nights in a row
>upon waking on he then sucks Bal's dick in front of demons and other randos
>said randos then begin to suck eachother's dicks to the point where the ground is saturated with semen
>Vivec bites a chunk of Bal's dick off and makes it into a spear
>he then kills everyone after him and Bal break up
>many years later he writes about it and everyone that follows him has read about his daedric sexual experiences

Fucking Vivec, man. Vivec will never be talked about again in another TES game because of SJW's, fucking n'wahs.
>>
>>333606719
>nobody says Oblivion's dungeons are perfect
>Oblivion is more colorful than brown
>your chance to fucking hit something is based on you actually hitting them
>>
>>333610318
Like I said, you want the game to be shittier so that you have to do less work to keep it at the quality you are capable of.

>can't do thing because I suck
>so if they don't leave thing out, the game sucks

Making games with lots of thing is hard. Wow.

I guess they should stay at fucking pong then, that way you won't even have to test your own quest story writing skills either (which probably suck and are just as jarring to the rest of the game anyway).
>>
>>333609384
>remove Dagoth "WELCOME NEREVAR, FRIEND OR TRAITOR" Ur

You've lost me.
>>
>>333610592
I remember reading his lessons long ago, the guy was a fucking mess, wich i liked actually, he isnt perfect, but sure he is OP.
>>
>>333610592
>The ending of the words is TRIGGERED
>>
>>333606416
With a hammer.
>>
>>333609753
>key features
Such as what, the combat that still isn't good? It might be better, but it still isn't worth playing the game for. The atmosphere, lore, and RPG systems keep getting worse though, and those used to be worth suffering through the combat system for.
>>
>>333611231
>The atmosphere

Walking through Skyrim felt much more immersive than walking through Morrowind.
>>
>>333604784
>truely

I think there is an image for this kind of occasion.
>>
>>333611231
As much a I hate to say it, graphics are a huge part of this game.

Oblivion is ugly as fuck. Morrowind is ugly, but still more aesthetically playable than Oblivion.
>>
>>333610624
>shittier
It's better without voices, though. For games that try to present cinematic moments and shit, voice acting is a huge boon, but for RPGs you always have to sacrifice more than what you get back in immersion. Be it because of the limited amount of dialogue, limited amount of voice actors or bad quality of voice acting found in the west.
Voice acting in RPGs is a fucking cancer.

>>333611351
Pretty environments aren't the only things to do with immersion. Having an interesting setting that you want to actually get immersed in is much more significant than the graphics.
>>
>>333611449
>he misspelled a word, his opinions are now and forever worthless

I've seen this shit like 5 times today alone.
>>
File: 1456112194784.jpg (35 KB, 735x541) Image search: [Google]
1456112194784.jpg
35 KB, 735x541
>>333611449
This one?
>>
File: n'wah.jpg (29 KB, 538x315) Image search: [Google]
n'wah.jpg
29 KB, 538x315
CHIM AND C0DA ARE CANON, I'M BEING A N'WAH ON THE INTERNET AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME
>>
>>333611691
>It's better without voices, though

Than there is no problem. Keep making the mods for oblivion without voices. In fact, why are you people not making mods that remove the voices in other parts of the game if it clashes with the new shit?
>>
>>333611691
>Having an interesting setting that you want to actually get immersed in is much more significant than the graphics

Then play real RPGs, and not this filler wannabe action shit.
>>
>Praise be! The Dragon Throne is empty, and we hold the Amulet of Kings. Praise be to your brothers and sisters. Great shall be their reward in Paradise! Hear now the words of Lord Dagon: “When I walk the earth again, the faithful among you shall receive your reward: to be set above all other mortals forever. As for the rest…the weak shall be winnowed; the timid shall be cast down; the mighty shall tremble at my feet and pray for pardon.” Your reward, brothers and sisters: the time of cleansing draws nigh. I go now to Paradise. I shall return with Lord Dagon at the coming of the Dawn!
>>
>>333609795
>>333604784
Perhaps, the game simply wasn't for you. It is a different beast than Oblivion or Skyrim, to be sure. But it is no shit game, by any standard.
Fuck the crashes though, jesus fuck
>>
>>333603725
Horse armour and other typees of cosmetic dlc's
>>
>>333611898
Because the original game is still suffering from having had voice acting thanks to the shit script. The dialog system is also not built for it, as removing the sound leads to staring contests with one line on the screen at a time. There's no decent box with text.

>>333611983
Morrowind is hardly wannabe action, it's entirely dice-based. It also has a much more interesting setting than most RPGs this side of Planescape Torment.
>>
File: 1408697719381.jpg (220 KB, 800x1192) Image search: [Google]
1408697719381.jpg
220 KB, 800x1192
Make the default walking/running speed faster
Make it not drain stamina
Halve the amount of cliff racers
Add in an option to join the 6th house
Add in unlimited teleportation markers by default
Improve stealth and the feel of archery/ranged options
Improve a few of the directions for a couple quests
Add in the whole area around the island while you're at it
>>
File: 1459351337901.jpg (81 KB, 545x620) Image search: [Google]
1459351337901.jpg
81 KB, 545x620
>>333612268
>The dialog system is also not built for it, as removing the sound leads to staring contests with one line on the screen at a time. There's no decent box with text.

So mod it in.
>>
>>333603725
Someone is already taking care of that
https://openmw.org/en/
>>
>>333612268
>Morrowind is hardly wannabe action, it's entirely dice-based

Yeah, that's why it's turn based. And yeah, Planescape Torment is in the SAME fucking setting as Baldur's gate, and a ton of other "RPGs". Like I said, play REAL RPGs, not this wank dialogue option shit.
>>
>>333603725
wait for openmw
wait for tamriel rebuilt
>>
File: xivilai.jpg (83 KB, 1024x578) Image search: [Google]
xivilai.jpg
83 KB, 1024x578
>>333612057
Ask yourself! How is it that mighty gods die, yet the Daedra stand incorruptible? How is it that the Daedra forthrightly proclaim themselves to man, while the gods cower behind statues and the faithless words of traitor-priests? It is simple... they are not gods at all. The truth has been in front of you since you first were born: the Daedra are the true gods of this universe. Julianos, Dibella and Stendarr are all Lorkhan's betrayers, posing as divinities in a principality that has lost its guiding light. What are Scholarship, Love and Mercy when compared to Fate, Night and Destruction? The gods you worship are trifling shadows of First Causes. They have tricked you for Ages.
Why do you think your world has always been contested ground, the arena of powers and immortals? It is Tamriel, the realm of Change, brother to Madness, sister to Deceit. Your false gods could not entirely rewrite history. Thus you remember tales of Lorkhan, vilified, a dead trickster, whose heart came to Tamriel. But if a god can die, how does his heart survive? He is daedroth! TAMRIEL AE DAEDROTH! "This Heart is the heart of the world, for one was made to satisfy the other." You all remember this. It is in every legend. Daedra cannot die, so your so-called gods cannot erase him from your minds completely.
>>
>>333609384
>2. remove the ancient evil awakening plotline
but it's not awakening, it's been there for ages
>>
>>333609553
That's not really the point. The point is that questmods in Skyrim and Oblivion get dragged down in quality because they have awful fucking voice actors with shitty mics that break your immersion.

And if they chose option b, which is no voice actors, then they would fail anyways because people are used to hearing voices in those games.
>>
>>333603725
Dark Messiah combat.
>>
>>333610501
this
>>
Here's a fun way to play Morrowind. I'm playing as a redguard warrior with several self impeded limitations to delay the inevitable money bloat:
>Can't steal unless it's quest related or a skill book
>No alchemy
>Can't carry any other gear unless it's clothing or I currently have it equipped
>Can't use any of the secret merchants

Less money means less OP enhanced items, quests are now worth doing for the money alone, exploration is incentivized, less training so I'm lower level and the world is more dangerous.

So my only real issue with Morrowind is the fucked up economy. Nothing but self restraint can fix it, as there is so much broken with money making that mods don't even scratch the surface.
>>
>>333609384
>2. remove the ancient evil awakening plotline

You don't know the plotline then
>>
>>333612686
>wait for openmw
>wait for tamriel rebuilt
I dont know about openMW, but ramriel had lots of updates and even quests.
>>
File: 1455924915647.jpg (49 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1455924915647.jpg
49 KB, 480x480
>>333612297
>mods do all this
>>
Rename every essential morrowind mod into "immersive (modname)" and skyrim crowd will lap it all up and ask for seconds
>>
>>333613234
>Morrowind Immersive Code Patch
>>
You can't fix morrowind
You can improve it by replacing animation, textures, models and what not
but the game is flawed in terms of combat, stamina consumption and even balance
>but it's fun to break the game
>>
>>333613347
every TES game is flawed in combat and balance though
>>
>>333613453
So?
>>
>>333613347
Damn right it's fun to break the game.

Though I'll agree that several of the options you have in the game should be improved. As it stands, you'll usually end up with blade and heavy armor.
>>
>>333603725
Give it a shitload more movement and melee attack options. Realtime pause if necessary.

Less fetch quests, much, much, much larger dungeons. A game such as Morrowind should have had more endurance runs than Hircine's funtime gauntlet.
>>
>no mana regen
Yeah it's not like I wanted to throw some fireballs around or anything.
>>
>>333605421
>because it just becomes unimmersive as fuck having random unvoiced lines here and there.
I don't really agree, silence is much better than shoddy voicework. The Lost Spires for Oblivion as example had really shit voice and would've been much better without it.
>>
>>333614320
The point is that you can always instantly recognize modded content because of it. There's no way to make a mod completely integrated with the world.
>>
>>333614423
Hey, Someguy managed it.
>>
>>333614104
It's not like you can make restore magicka potions from what you buy from merchants and you can drink an unlimited number of them instantly with no repercussions at all.
Although if it upsets so much there's a mod for that.
>>
>>333614104
No mana regen was very off putting for me when first playing as a mage, but it really isn't so bad when you get in the habit of using the wait function every time you've used a significant amount. Later in the game it won't be so bad when the mana pool has increased. Also, use alchemy to make potions out the ass.
No mana regen was very off putting for me when first playing as a mage
>>
>>333603725
You don't. You play something else and let the autists spend another decade obsessing over it.
>>
>>333604826
I too like morrowind friend. If you have to evade taxes, evade away!
paypal.me/JEngel63
>>
>>333612348
Not possible, people have tried for years in both Oblivion and Skyrim. The tools aren't there, the dialogue system is hardcoded into the game. This is why mods like SkyUI don't touch dialogue, because it's untouchable. You will always have the shitty dropdown/list menu, and it will always display one line at a time, each for a few seconds, with or without voice. It's literally nothing to do with skill, you would need access to the source code which Bethesda will obviously never allow.
>>
Looks like it's time to code up a TES JRPG with a huge main continent, then realm of daedric gods that have randomized dungeons!
>>
>>333615549
>randomized
Did you mean shit? There's no such thing as decent randomized content.
>>
File: 1313578187381.jpg (128 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1313578187381.jpg
128 KB, 640x480
>>333615549
>that have randomized dungeons

Buy do I love randomised dungeons.
>>
>>333614615
Thanks for the visit
>>
>you will never play Morrowind for the first time
IT'S JUST NOT THE SAME

I KNOW EVERYTHING

I WANT TO DIE
>>
File: 1438040369365.jpg (236 KB, 500x621) Image search: [Google]
1438040369365.jpg
236 KB, 500x621
>>333615768
Just need to market it the right way. Say you have millions of guns and thousands of planets. Hundreds of different dungeons.
>>
cave rat
>>
>>333616294
Fuck, you're not even wrong. Hate that shit.
>>
File: 1447089657905.jpg (12 KB, 467x460) Image search: [Google]
1447089657905.jpg
12 KB, 467x460
I've been playing Morrowind in the last few weeks for the first time.

To be honest i'm having a lot of fun, i don't get all the complaints about "MISS MISS MISS" or the lack of voice acting. The former isn't a problem at all once you understand how the fuck you're supposed to act with your character. If i made a guy that's prone to fight better with shortswords i shouldn't complain if he's useless when i give him an heavy axe, no? The speech system is pretty interesting too, with how you can have characters help you understand shit. The world feels pretty big, although i guess maybe it's due to how slow you move at first? It was annoying right at the beginning.
The presentation is pretty fine too, the art design really makes me ignore how dated the graphics are, i only felt the need to install very basic mods like Better bodies and heads

Overall, pretty good, managed to make me stick to game as opposed to Oblivion/10
>>
>>333603725
>actually preferring the short modern dialogues to well thought out and interesting conversations
>>
>>333618929
MISS MISS MISS is a meme, literally.

The ONLY way you can have that happen is if you MAKE it happen. Even a new player that had no idea how the game works will be fine. Those webms that people always post of the guy missing every single attack for 2 minutes are carefully engineered that way; the guy is playing a race that has a penalty that weapon, he purposefully has 0 fatigue, 0 weapon skill, and cherrypicked high-dodge enemies.

Normal people realize that you need shortsword skill to use a shortsword. The only thing that could be confusing is the fatigue system, since it's not really explained that having less than ~30% fatigue means you're not going to hit and need to change strategy or retreat.
>>
>>333619069
>missing the point
I'm 90% sure OP is talking about the inconsistency in the speech itself. First the guy says he's an ashlander that doesn't speak well, then he goes on a monologue about himself in perfect grammar and colloquial language.

There's mods to fix it.
>>
>>333603725
You can't fix a shitty Bethshit game even Morrowshit. Play Witcher 3, it is already fixed and an objectively better game than any TES shit.
>>
>>333619463
>First the guy says he's an ashlander that doesn't speak well, then he goes on a monologue about himself in perfect grammar and colloquial language.

BETHESDA LIED, PEOPLE DIED
>>
OpenMW will fix it.

Soon.
>>
>>333619463
I remember that happened all the time in Oblivion. It was especially grating when they had different ways of saying things, like the beggars.
>>
File: khajiit meme.png (164 KB, 338x319) Image search: [Google]
khajiit meme.png
164 KB, 338x319
>>333611851
>implying CHIM isn't canon
>>
>>333619925
Those randomly generated conversations were the stupidest shit, but at least they held a tiny bit of comedic value.

>saw a mudcrab yesterday, horrible creatures
>goodbye!
>>
>>333613453
That doesn't mean they all get a free pass. Bad combat is still bad combat.
>>
>>333603725
>no one notices the ashlander goes from inarticulate tribesman to silvertongued rogue

Skyrim got it right desu
>>
>>333618929
>>333619298
MISS MISS MISS shouldn't be in the game at all, though. Have them swing the weapon shittily and do chip damage instead of breaking immersion by displaying an "unskilled" swing identical to a "skilled" swing that misses despite being animated the same as a hit.
>>
>>333620545
>Why couldn't they waste more time and resources to please my autism

Plenty of RPGs do that, just because this one is in first person it's suddenly a problem?
>>
>>333620545
I agree with the animation thing. Definitely have them swing shittily, and also have enemies play a little token dodge animation. Hell no to the chip damage, though. Keep it mechanically the same and do no damage.
>>
>>333620545
Animation is definitely the real issue here. But then again Bethesda has always had garbage-tier animation, so its not surprising they fucked that up.
>>
>make NPCs more unique
>separate generic topics and unique topics
>add a dedicated quest button
>separate the stamina meter into a running/jumping meter and a combat meter, that way you don't have to choose between slow overworld travel or being a MISS MISS MISS machine
>add unique miss animations

That's pretty much it.
>>
>>333619925
Still better than characters not interacting and standing like statues.

Heck I even liked how they traveled between towns in Oblivion and sometimes got slaughtered while doing so KeK.

^But you cant fault that, wilderness is a dangerous place after all.
>>
>>333621084
I agree with all but the second-to-last one, tying the two together makes it so that you can't run around jumping while fighting unless you built your character specifically to do that.

The first issue is fixed by the LGNPC mod, which even mods dialogue from other big mods too. It's not perfect, but it goes a long way towards making each NPC more unique.
>>
>>333620736
Not him, but yes, it is a problem when you switch to real-time first-person gameplay. What happens on the screen no longer matches what's happening behind the scenes. I mean, that's not entirely true since it's easy to tell a hit and miss apart due to the sound effects, blood spray, and staggers, but the misses themselves don't have any equivalent cues. Did I miss because I was out of range or too far to the left, or did I miss because the enemy evaded my attack according to the RPG mechanics? And if you're shooting a bow from long range you can't be sure that you aimed it properly. It just feels clunky. It felt clunky then and it REALLY feels clunky now.
>>
>>333621425
I won't disagree, but i dunno, i'm really not having a problem with it, and it's not nostalgia since i've only been playing recently
Maybe i'm just willing to forgive that because i'm having fun overall
>>
>>333620736
They should waste their time and resources so the player doesn't have to.
>>
File: daggerfall manual.png (132 KB, 568x332) Image search: [Google]
daggerfall manual.png
132 KB, 568x332
Where did it all go wrong?
>>
>>333621310
Oh yes, Oblivion's AI was the best in the series and I really liked the conversations, schedules, and all the emergent situations that came from them. But the specific issue in the OP was a lot more jarring when it happened in Oblivion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb_9V_EIV98
>>
>>333621704
Same place it did with Blizzard and all the other old good companies. They got too successful, too rich, and too driven by greed.

Doesn't help that half the people that made those old games are no longer there either.
>>
File: pete on dialogue.jpg (64 KB, 450x577) Image search: [Google]
pete on dialogue.jpg
64 KB, 450x577
>>333621704
>bethesda then

>bethesda now
>>
>>333603725
>More than 4 tracks (seriously its ost consists of overworld music and combat music)
>Combat that doesn't involve you swinging your sword and it phasing through the AI
>AI that aren't soulless sign-post automatons
>Better AI in general (jumping on a wall makes them run into it like retards)
>Less brown
>Make Vivec more than a copy-pasted brick
>Have the npc's give you less vague directions
>More involving and less repetitive quests
>Better graphics
>Animations that are half-decent (Your character walks like he shit himself)
>Dungeons that aren't hallways (Oblivion had this problem as well)
>Add leveling. The first thing I did was walk to the Dren Plantation, grab a Daedric Dai-Katana and slaughter everything for the entire game
>Less generic armour
>More elevations, it was too flat. Again same with Oblivion
>>
>>333622272
I agree with everything except
>Add leveling. The first thing I did was walk to the Dren Plantation, grab a Daedric Dai-Katana and slaughter everything for the entire game

The solution for that is to hide and guard valuable items better, as you would realistically expect them to be well-guarded in the game world. By no means should you delete them from the game until your character is the appropriate level.
>>
We don't, it's already perfect.
>>
>>333609384

Tamriel Rebuilt has plans for a second module that would incorporate interacting with the mainland houses in the main quest.

I think they should drop that idea and just start planning a mainquest dealing with the politics leading up to the argonian invation.
>>
>>333619463
I think that might be LGNPC, it reads like some of LGNPC's stuff.

Don't get me wrong, LGNPC is great, but it needs an editor's pass to fix some stupid shit up.
>>
Honestly I like Morrowind's combat far better than Oblivion and Skyrim because it doesn't feel like I'm wailing away at a health sponge for long periods of time unless I'm trying to jump an NPC I already know is far above my level.
>>
File: Yakum.png (1 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Yakum.png
1 MB, 1280x960
>>333624141
Nah, that's the generic text that NPCs of the Rogue class has. It's a bug in the vanilla game: most NPCs like him have the generic rumors/background/trade topics filtered out with the "NoLore" tag, but they forgot to set it for him.

That "old elf" greeting is vanilla as well. If you have high speechcraft when you first talk to him, your character will speak a bit of Ashlandic to him, causing him to like you more and talk about Ashlander stuff.
>>
>>333621704
Oblivion's commercial success.

Firing Kirkbride

Why make weird, well-written RPGs when you can just do Tolkein shit or Game of Thrones shit. Why make gameplay interesting when you could just make an FPS with swords where stats don't mean shit.

People will buy it in droves and meme about it on facebook and Pewdiepie will market that shit for you.

Don't waste your time making things that are good or complex. There's no money in that.
>>
File: 1438141358634.png (530 KB, 937x700) Image search: [Google]
1438141358634.png
530 KB, 937x700
You dont, its a pretty good crpg. Anybody who plays it and blames nostalgia clearly have no idea what they are talking about and played the game with the impression of it being an arpg
>>
File: Todd.png (248 KB, 770x720) Image search: [Google]
Todd.png
248 KB, 770x720
>>333626042
I wouldn't solely peg it on Oblivion's commercial success. That was a symptom of a problem that can be traced back to Morrowind's sales on the Xbox. It was a gamble to port a big PC RPG to console and it paid off big time:

>Todd: Let’s see…last year when we talked, we were finishing the Xbox version [of Morrowind].
>Jason: Right, and you had shipped the PC version, like the week before.
>Todd: Right. So we were finishing the Xbox version, and that was the big question mark for us. And that turned out way better than we expected. I mean, it was kind of a gamble for us. We were going to put our game out there, in the hopes that the console audience wanted something more than Final Fantasy. And it turns out, a lot of them did. So that was very good for us, and we sort of became the role-playing game on the Xbox. And I’d say half of our fan base now is Xbox. We did about a 50/50 split [sales-wise], and it was very interesting, what they brought to the game, and what they wanted out of the game.
>>
>>333626696
>tfw the masterracefags were right all along
Consolefags truly ruin everything.
>>
>>333604898
haha loooseer
>>
>>333626696
That was an interesting interview. http://web.archive.org/web/20030605113408/http://www.shacknews.com/extras/interviews/toddhoward1.x
>But I thought the Xbox version would sell a third of what it did. I mean, it really tripled our estimates. We were like, ‘holy crap.’ In a good way, you know, we were like, ‘wow.’ I had a bet going with our president that the PC version was going to outsell the Xbox easy. So we had this big bet, and it was like neck-in-neck until the very end of the year. I won because of Tribunal, basically. I won because when we put Tribunal out, it sold more copies of the first game.
>>
>how fix morrowind
nothing to fix

you could add voice overs. make it look pretty.

fact is its better than the next two because you can kill everyone if you choose too, you can ignore the main quest after the first building if you choose too, you can go beat the last boss in a 5 minute speedrun if you choose to.

now try that style of roleplaying in skyrim and tell me how long it takes to find an immortal who also wont stop attacking, making you reload.

and mods don't count, we talking vannila.
>>
>>333620172
Have you been to the Feed Bag recently?
>>
>>333628542
PUT OOOOOOOON THE FEEEEEDBAAAAG
>>
General bug fixes, and a couple of mods for faster running speed and not losing fatigue when you run.
Former fixes what's broken, latter fixes the pacing.

No, the combat is fine. Take the time to actually train in your combat specialization. And don't be surprised that you miss more when your fatigue is low.
Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.