[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/why-dark-s ouls-3-should-have-easy-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 17
File: dark_souls_3_main_art_1.jpg (358 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dark_souls_3_main_art_1.jpg
358 KB, 1920x1080
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/why-dark-souls-3-should-have-easy-mode-problem-playing-win-1553664
So, does it need one?
>>
File: 3775366_300x300.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
3775366_300x300.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>"play to win"
>>
It doesn't need it but if it was there it wouldn't matter. Those who want to play it on hard mode will, those who don't will use god mode/unlimited estus etc...

So long as the game give you an option and doesn't force you to play ez mode it doesn't matter if it has it or not.
>>
>>333590614
Difficulty options are never bad.
>>
>>333591503
For a game that brands itself on being really difficult and unforgiving, yea they are bad.
>>
File: 1458745151575.png (293 KB, 272x273) Image search: [Google]
1458745151575.png
293 KB, 272x273
>>333590614
those comments
>>
>>333590614

Only 10% of the people who play a particular game ever bother to beat it, this is regardless of if it is hard as shit or easy as piss or if they love it or hate it. The idea that making a game easier means more people will play to completion because it's more "accessible" is just not true.

You want people to finish your game then make it short. And I mean really short, like a couple of hours at most. You want people to buy it in the first place then market it well. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>333590614
difficult is a bad thing just stretches thelength of the game.
>>
>>333591503
yes they can be. If you designed your game around a certain difficulty and the editor a few months before release decide to add new difficulties, you're going to have a hard time making your game fun for those who will play in easy mode because your game simply wasn't designed around it.
>>
>>333591580
Read interviews with Miyazaki, he explicitly said that difficulty was never a goal.

The community labeled Souls series as "difficult" for no better reason than to feel "superior" to CoD kids when in reality Souls series are far from being as difficult as the community makes them out to be.

Once again, an option that is not forced on player and requires minimal time/money on the developers end to implement is not a major issue.

Souls games are good games and if there needs to be a way to help some people to enjoy them which may lead them to find similar games then there is nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>333591807
Ez mode in Souls games can be implemented as simple as
>infinite estus
>Enemies doing less damage
>You do more damage

All 3 of those options would take literally 5 minutes to implement and wouldn't affect the core audience.
>>
>>333591903

Look at the Exodus from wow, and tell me it wouldn't effect the core audience.
>>
File: you didnt win.webm (2 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
you didnt win.webm
2 MB, 720x405
where can i find the easy mode?
>>
>>333590614
It already has one.
>>
>>333591903
Except then you get people playing the game in easy mode an complaining the game isn't fun. So then in the sequel they get to try focusing on making the game fun on easy mode. Probably fucking up the normal mode in the process.

The way I see it: there are plenty of games that are easy. Let there be hard games. Souls games are only arguably difficult anyway.
>>
>>333591903
>>333591829
If the game isn't for you then fuck off instead of demanding this dumb ass omnipandering cancer that has ruined so many games.
>>
>>333592017
>IHR HABT GESIEGT
>>
>>333590614
no.
>>
>>333591829
>Read interviews with Miyazaki, he explicitly said that difficulty was never a goal.

This has been so corrupted over the years.

Miyazaki didn't accidentally make a difficult game, he did it quite deliberately. It's just he didn't make it difficult because he hates "casuals" or whatever, he did it because he felt it was thematically appropriate. A difficult game was a goal.
>>
>>333590614

Souls game already have an easy mode, it's called using summons.Not only that, but you can simply overlevel most bosses if you don't mind grinding for souls. Even the worst player should be able to steamroll most bosses at level 100+ in new game.
>>
>>333592006
MMO's are a separate case since you can't implement ez mode for some and hard mode for all as effectively as you can in SP game.

Besides, what killed WoW wasn't difficulty drop but lack of content and sense of adventure in Cata.

>>333592094
To an extent you are right and this had happened previously, I think it's up to developer to find the balance between allowing new player to experience the game and not alienating core audience.

It's not an easy task by any stretch of means however one might argue that a game like Witcher 3 had some success in that area.

>>333592112
No one demands it, my argument is that you can make it accessible to new players without alienating the core players using minimal effort. All it requires is ez mode, keep rest of the game same.
>>
>>333590614
It already has easy mode. Summoning is available for anyone to use at any time.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (104 KB, 1680x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
104 KB, 1680x720
>Should Eric Clapton rewrite a version of Tears In Heaven about playing with a beach-ball in the sun for people who don't like sadness?
>Should Modigliani have done more realistic paintings for people who don't enjoy long thin faces?
>Should S. Morgenstern redo The Princess Bride because some people think it's too kiddy, and he should've had a bunch of people getting raped and murdered like A Song of Ice and Fire?

The answer is no. It has always been no. It will always BE no. Jim Sterling, and anyone who agree with him is a daft cunt for thinking otherwise. Removing a core part of the experience to try and twist it into something that someone, who doesn't even like the original version, otherwise they wouldn't insist on a new mode, can enjoy does nothing but destroy the original vision the creator had in the first place. People who don't like it for what it is will never be satisfied when given a half-baked version of it.

It is not for them, and that is okay. Not all things are for everybody. But if you really want to tell artists how to make their art to suit you specifically, you're no better than the people trying to tell others how and who to have sex with. It does not involve you on any level. You are not part of that process. You are here to enjoy the art, criticize the art, or fucking leave.
>>
Difficulty options are usually bad because it's already hard to balance a game once. Only on very specific games can it work consistently like turn based RPGs.
>>
>>333591903
>Ez mode
Estus recovery from killing enemies. Players who call the series "hard" were already trying to play the game hack-and-slash anyway.
>>
No. People need to learn that not everything has to be for everybody, it's ok.
>>
>>333591503
Fuck this guy.

Difficulty options are ALWAYS bad. Games should be inherently challenging and everyone should share the same experience.
>>
My problem is that implementing an button that makes the game easy feels a short cut. There are allready options I the game that allows you to play it in an easy way
Take dark souls two just roll a sorcerer kite the shit out of everything and always wear a ring of soul protectoion and build towards the more op and easy spells in the game
Just like that you've dealt with 90% of the things you fight in that game and it eases the new players into the level of difficulty that's common in the series
You just need to design the game in a way that allows for it, just having an easy button is lazy in the developers part
>>
>>333590614
Stick with the game or don't fucking PLAY IT

God damn, exetending this series to PC really brought out the inept babies in droves
>>
>>333590614
No it doesn't thats the point of tge game xasuals can suxk my ass

Non phone users can also suck myvass lmao
>>
>>333592424
>for every other medium critics criticize lowest common denominator bullshit for damaging the artform, argue against censorship, impropriety is considered extremely egregious, etc., etc.

It is utterly amazing to me how bad the gaming press is and how much self delusion there must be amongst them to not see it.
>>
if you need an easy mode, just summon. What's the max phantoms you can have, three? no fucking boss will keep up with four players.

fuck me dark souls isn't even that hard.
>>
>>333592709
>Games should be inherently challenging
That's is an absolute fallacy, games first and foremost before anything else must be enjoyable.

Euro Truck Simulator would not in any way be a better game if it ended as soon as you hit cargo/exceed speed limit.

>>333592765
PC games since the dawn of time on average had harder games that required far more thought than console games.
>>
>>333592375
>No one demands it, my argument is that you can make it accessible to new players without alienating the core players using minimal effort. All it requires is ez mode, keep rest of the game same.

The game is already accessible to new players in that they are allowed to fucking play the game. There is no magical gaming elitism fairy actively blocking them from playing the game.

If they cannot improve then they don't get to play the game. There are a lot of games I am terrible at and after X hours I still suck at. I would never ask they make a retard hand holding mode to walk me through it just because I am really bad at those games.

How "hard" the game is ties into the gameplay side of things in a way that's equal to (if not greater than) how you play the game in the first place.

If a game comes out and there's a super baby mode then whatever. I think a lot of developers realize how completely pointless including an actual "god mode" option is to playing a video GAME but if they want to include it whatever.

But you don't get to look at a game and go "oh look how easy it would be just for you to turn the godmode switch on so new players could actually play your game what a bunch of stingy elitists" and that's the same argument that comes up every fucking Souls game because shitters are shit. It doesn't matter how simple an act it would be if the Dev doesn't feel the need to compromise what they were going for.

Games don't get to cater to you if they don't want to. There are some games I feel would have been a better experience harder but I'm not banging down any doors demanding Dante Must Die mode everywhere.

I could go into a completely separate rant about how the option to just skip gameplay is detrimental but that's not the point here. The point here is that people demand that a game should be easy enough for THAT SPECIFIC PERSON to play and make stupid fucking appeals like "what about the children who play it or the cripples".
>>
>>333592947
Fuck off retard

Back to /r/pc
>>
>>333591903
It'd have to be on a seperate server to people playing normally.
Enemies would have to be rebalanced entirely, because they're mostly designed around their 'difficulty'.
The "Souls way" of balancing easy mode would be to force it always online, and make invasions open constantly.

To be fair, if you tried playing the game and you found yourself having a hard time, you can always just grind to level up. I'm sure people do this already, I know my nephew does. He's 10 and has beaten Dark Souls. It's probably the only thing he has played other than Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed.
>>
>>333590614
Dark Souls is one of the games that actually do difficulty right
Games shouldn't for the most part even have difficulty levels as they are often not designed or implemented well at all. After you have beaten the game some extra hard mode is cool but unless you bother to sit down and actually adjust the difficulty properly, don't even bother with difficulty levels.
>>
>>333590614
>problem with 'playing to win'

What the actual fuck does this guy imply? That it's bad a game only allows people who play it to win?
>>
i imagine a ez mode in dark souls would be super boring

the whole fun in the game is in outplaying enemies

selecting a ez mode would just be ruining your own experience of the game, why would from want you to do that
>>
>In other words, there are some people who want to beat the game, even if it means being reduced to the level of a dog; people who are not afraid to shame themselves to accomplish their goals. Sometimes in life, that type of style is necessary. Anyone who can think like that can still be a real man.
Implementing difficulty modes changes nothing so long as the game is balanced around a specific level of play. Everyone gets the experience they're seeking and you can shame all you want by simply asking someone what difficulty they beat the game on.
>>
>>333590614
What would be sacrificed from the core game to create an easy mode?

Would you have more health and stamina?
Would the enemies have less?
Dumber AI and removed moves from bosses?
Less enemies?
More iFrames?

The thing with these games is that they start as easy as they can be and get harder with NG+, bonfire ascetics, gravelord covenant etc. But the player chooses this challenge organically and within the game well after he gets used to enemy attack moves, and has his weapons/armors set to his preferences.
>>
>>333592424
>comparing actual art to a fucking video game

Jesus fucking christ...
>>
>>333591829
Never mind that it was advertised in the west purely on how difficult it was.

Not saying this is Miyazaki's fault, just that there is a reason for this belief.
>>
>>333590614
It needs a difficult mode first.
>>
>>333592017

SCHEISSE
>>
File: 1460107941641_1.jpg (189 KB, 942x648) Image search: [Google]
1460107941641_1.jpg
189 KB, 942x648
>>333590614
Does anyone else see this?
>>
>>333593069
I believe your're experiencing a case of being bootybothered m88, it's ok; one day your parents will get you that Alienware PC you always wanted.

>>333593083
With all the money that blizzard has and well documented demand they still choose to say "we don't believe this would make the game better'. It always baffled me that they could be so ignorant and blind.

And you're right you could grind your way up though to be honest I never got the grinding in souls games. I finished DeS at around 40-50 SL I think and it was rather easy throughout. Then I went to play DaS1, finished it around 60SL or so, then for the fun of it decided to see what it'd be like to have every stat maxed out and it didn't even really feel that different.

>>333593184
You got it pretty well summed up.
>>
>>333593336
This. The game isn't exactly hard. What kills you most of the times are your own stupid mistakes, and I think most death was caused by falling.
>>
>>333593336
This.
At least with Assassin's Creed you can turn the difficulty up if it's too easy.
The Dark Souls games are permanently stuck in baby mode.
>>
>>333593409
Fuck you.
>>
>>333590614
I prefer having no difficulty settings. Personally I hate sitting at the new game screen wondering like an idiot which difficulty I should select for the most enjoyment and then regretting my decision later. Having one setting streamlines the process, making the game much easier to balance while everyone shares the same experience.

Hard games can be hard, easy games can be easy. Games shouldn't have to appeal to everyone.
>>
Dark Souls isn't hard, its aggravating. When you play any other game on hard, you get the feeling its a challenge and like you overcame it.

When you play Dark Souls and a boss kills you in one hit, that's not difficulty.
>>
File: Dwarf_Fortress_fun.png (341 KB, 750x2880) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf_Fortress_fun.png
341 KB, 750x2880
>>333590614

There is no enjoyment without a struggle, you need contrast to enjoy the rewards.
>>
File: tortoise_galapagos_rar.jpg (156 KB, 710x408) Image search: [Google]
tortoise_galapagos_rar.jpg
156 KB, 710x408
>>333593473
Sorry, it just reminds me of a tortoise, I just didn't know how else to convey it.
>>
>>333590614
it needs an easy mode and an even harder mode, the more difficulty stages the better. if more people buy this shit, the devs will make more and better games.
>>
>>333593284

Art is art and nothing more.

Your opinion matters not.
>>
>>333590614
The only difficulty settings I accept in games are

>"Pathetic Baby"
>"Normal"
>"Ridiculously Hard Holy Shit Good Luck"
>>
Sure, why not. Make it so that easy mode players cant use online features though.
>>
>>333593651
videogames arent art though
>>
>>333593453
>and I think most death was caused by falling.
Yeah this is arguably the biggest cause of all deaths in souls games. Most due stupidity but some due oddly shaped terrain. Hopefully it'll be fixed in DaS3 and be a bit more even.

>>333593501
One might argue that to combat the rise of "casuals" there needs to be a way to introduce them to games that are arguably better than various AssCreeds and other similar mediocrity. One way could be "hand-holding" mode in good games.

I can't remmeber what game it was, I think it could've been either Bayonetta or DMC but one of them had auto-combo mode, it was entirely optional, didn't affect people who wanted DMD mode but surely gave people who wanted to experience the game a chance to do so without fucking up what made the series good.

And no DMC wasn't a result of catering to newcomers, it was a result of a shitty developer with an ego larger than Ron Jeremy's glorious Everest of cocks.
>>
>>333592263
This. Summons and overleveling are the built-in easy mode. There's no reason to slap a button that says "easy mode" in the menu to pander to the dumb fuckers who can't figure this out. Souls games aren't even any harder than the average 8- or 16-bit release.
>>
>>333590614
It's completely missing the entire point of the souls series

I've pretty much stopped reading gaming "journalism" these days. Those fuckers are like dying leeches trying to suck on flesh that has almost no blood left.

Never before have a seen a profession so utterly, fundamentally pointless. (Other than the united states house of representatives)
>>
>>333593702

>A piece of work that is combining imagery and music and storytelling aren't art.

I guess movies aren't art either.
>>
>The obnoxious 'git gud' meme however, epitomises the antagonistic view of a cross-section of the Souls fan base that exceeds the malice directed at the portly plumber.

Salty nu-male faggot that can't handle the banter.
>>
The game has an active online element and therefore will never have difficulty settings. Limp wristed nu males and feminists who dont play gemes will just have to deal with it.
>>
>>333590614
>a business/economy website talking about video games
>falling for blatant clickbait article

you're better than this /v/
>>
>>333593947
Forbes often has articles written about video games which are far more intelligent than almost every other gaming exclusive website out there.
>>
>>333590614
Souls games aren't even hard, jesus christ. Literally git gud and learn to roll.
>>
>>333594012
Don't even really need to roll for majority of bosses, straffing works just as well if not better which always buggered me.
>>
i really enjoyed how he felt it necessary to shoehorn social justice into an article about dark souls difficulty

shows you where he is coming from
>>
>>333594229
"Why deny that for someone else?"
Best line in the whole article and it's at the end. I'd say "why force your ideas on something that seems to be loved and sells anyway".
>>
>>333594123
I hear you man, I was replaying DaSII yesterday and beat pursuer without taking a single hit just by walking in a fucking circle. I was pretty disappointed. And to think, people actually had trouble with that shit.
>>
why does everything need to be accessible to everyone?
>>
>>333590614
its "journalism" . These days you shouldnt even visit websites like that. its all bullshit.
>>
>>333591219
I disagree, the balance and design of the game was intended for things like limited healing items and damage being dealt. If an easy mode is implemented you would essentially be playing a completely different game, the experience would be very different. It's not like your character gets deleted if you die, just get back on and try again.
>>
>>333594012
Exactly, the author is the epitome of shitty journalism. What, is that fucker actually wanting to play a souls game for the story? Jesus christ.
>>
>>333593731
Both Bayo and DMC have it, it's called Easy-Automatic mode in DMC and it's an accessory in Bayonetta called Immortal Marionette.
>>
>>333590614
If dark souls will have easy mode, that'll be the end.
>>
>>333590614
These people are not meant to survive. the easy way is the cowards way. Pushing through something hard, learning to overcome and adapt is what makes man gods. Let them cry.
>>
>>333594852
>If dark souls will have easy mode, that'll be the end.
I agree, that would remove the only redeeming point of the game. Being normal.
>>
>>333594590
I wonder how could this issue could be fixed without introducing overly clingy boss tracking. I suppose giving them larger weapons with wider arcs could help a bit but I guess it'd get boring fast seeing every enemy with Cloud's sword.

>>333594658
Everyone has different experience when playing Dark Souls. And I agree, easy mode could make the game be far different than what it was intended. But at the same time it could provide a corner-stone for people to get into the game. Kinda like training wheels on the bike so to speak.

>>333594805
Ah thank you for that anon. I think those modes are good example of how to implement EZ mode without fucking up the games in question.
>>
>>333590614
No, it would completely fuck with the game balance, also how would PvP work? You'd have to restrict it to only easy mode summons etc. Also Souls games are designed so that summoning help automatically makes things easier. It works fine as it is and people complaining are just shit at the game and don't want to learn how to play properly. This is what happens when niche games go mainstream and attract casuals.
>>
>In the performance, O'Briain recounts his experience with Grand Theft Auto IV, but only up to a specific mission approximately half way through Rockstar Games's crime-fuelled opus of Americana, as he repeatedly failed to chase down a rogue drug dealer.

Which mission was this? It sounds like Shadow. If it is, that mission was easy as fuck.
>>
File: 1446937997527.jpg (161 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1446937997527.jpg
161 KB, 1920x1080
>>333595240
That skip mechanic is actually rather good for replayability, certainly would make me want to replay VC more if I could skip this shit.
>>
>>333595240

Judging from the comedy segment (you can find it easily on youtube), it was Final Destination. The one where Faustin makes you kill the son of Kenny Petrovic at the train station. Admittedly I failed it a few times because it happens pretty quickly, but its certainty not that hard.
>>
>>333590614
>article written by an obvious tap-on-purple-goo faggot
>>
>>333593661

if a game has an easy setting it should embarrass you. like make your character wear a dress or something
>>
>>333590614
I keep seeing the same articles with the fake quote that was mistranslated.
>>
>>333590614
I have never played one of these gays, but I was under the assumption you can just grind, right?
>>
>playing to win is bad

I know this is a click bait article but this is some grade A millennial bullshit.
>>
>>333596251
>implying any dev would get away with this today
STOP MISREPRESENTING TRANS PEOPLE!
>>
I wish the souls games just had an invincibility mode cause I hate the gameplay but love the setting
>>
>>333590614
the is an easy mode. its called twitch
>>
>>333590614
articles about dark souls needing ez mode are nothing but clickbait. congrats on giving the author exactly what he wants you dumb fucks.
>>
>>333596608
Just use cheat engine then.
>>
>>333596660
Fuck off DSP.
>>
>"PLAYING TO WIN"
No just fucking nuke the planet already I don't even care anymore
>>
One of the best things about the souls games is everyone has the same experience. If they add an easy mode you lose that.
>>
How long will this franchise last?
>>
All the articles i've read in support of easy mode's in games like this always say the same thing, "How does it affect you?", its like they live in a bubble where everyone has the same thoughs and idea's as themselves.

>To create a balanced easy mode developer time needs to be spent on it, taking away dev time from other things.
>It is within the developers artistic right to deny access to every part of the game by way of difficulty, even if this isn't from's intention limiting art doesn't suddenly not make it art.
>Its perfectly valid for a developer to decide that the difficulty of the game is as important as any other part, and to change that changes the game they want to give to people.
>Different difficulties allow for different people to have different experiences that are unshareable with others
>It fragments game communities, look at the divide between HC and SC players in diablo or PoE
>It makes balancing significantly harder

What fucks me off about these articles is that they all reference dark souls, like for fucks sake do they not even realize that the whole game is designed around player decisions, including difficulty? Easy mode is sword and board with magic, and you can make it as hard as you want.

This applies to all games without difficulty settings, which I prefer, because I go in knowing this is exactly how hard or easy the game is meant to be.
>>
File: tv star mg.png (1 MB, 981x817) Image search: [Google]
tv star mg.png
1 MB, 981x817
>>333590614

>easy mode

this is what the world is coming to
>>
It already has several. Magic builds, summons and grinding are a few.
>>
>>333590614
You already have noob crutch builds for that
>>
are there any big differences between the games in the dark souls series? Are they more or less the same games but set in different areas?
>>
>>333592424
This nigga gets it.
You can't make a product for everyone.
You should focus in just making a good product overall.
People like Souls games because they're difficult compared all the other AAA games that are being released these days, so it shouldn't have an easy nor be accesible.
>>
There is already an easy mode and its called DEX
>>
>>333592947
You're fucking retarded.
People enjoy difficulty.
Do you think the millions of people who played DeS, DaS, BB didn't enjoy it or what?
Stick with what you like, it's okay you don't like difficult games, there's plenty of other games you can play.
Just don't come and try to change what we enjoy.
>>
>>333597287
lol good luck using a magic build this time around.
>>
>>333593990
Lmao if you actually believe this
>>
>>333597542
well memed
>>
>>333596441
Nigger, do you know that people born in the 80s are milennials too right?
Stop missusing this term, it just makes you look dumb.
Just call the writer of the article a fucking retard.
>>
>>333597775
I found the triggered millennial
>>
>>333590614
it doesn't. if you like the game, you find ways to git gud
>>
>>333597559
I think you have this odd notion that I don't like Souls games, I played them all and liked them all. But I never played them for difficulty. The sheer idea that souls games are in any shape of form hard is more stupid than your post.

Souls games are hard, it's a shitty meme perpetuated by Souls community to make themselves feel superior to casual gamers.

And since you missed my point, difficulty should never ever ever be the focal point of any game. Go play IWBTG and tell me that game is more fun than a Painkiller.

Gameplay should always be the focal point, difficulty adjustment of said gameplay comes waaaaay after.

>>333597629
Feel free to name a website that you believe provides quality articles then ?
>>
>>333597865
Unless you're way over your 40s, you're a milennial too m8.
I know i am, i'm just saying it's not an insult no matter how you put it, it's just a word to define people born in a time period.
>>
the challenge is central to the experience
it's like saying that books that are difficult to read should get an abridged version
>>
File: 1459027467201.jpg (118 KB, 1024x675) Image search: [Google]
1459027467201.jpg
118 KB, 1024x675
>>333598017
>>
The thing is that Souls games are designed to be difficult. Alot of the challenge from Dark Souls comes from how the game punishes you for your mistakes, how it constantly throws you in ambushes and traps and bullshit, puts you against bosses where the strategy for victory is not immediately apparent or the bosses do unexpected things. If you fuck up you lose your souls and have to take a long walk from the bonfire.

the Souls series loses a significant amount of it's difficulty after you beat one of the games. You get used to how the games function and can beat them without too much anguish.

The only way you could make souls games truly "easier" is by either changing core aspects of the game design. You could make enemies weaker, but that wouldn't change what truly makes the games challenging.
>>
>>333597972
Triggered
>>
>>333590614
Why? You don't 'need' to play Dark Souls 3. If you think it's too difficult and aren't willing to improve then just don't play it. If you absolutely MUST experience a play-through then watch a lets play.

DS3 is designed to be a challenging game. The point of the series is to be classic-style, unforgiving action RPGs. FROM shouldn't waste time and resources implementing and balancing various difficulty modes for people who are fundamentally disinterested in the core concept of the game they're making.
>>
>>333597929
They're certainly more difficult than any other AAA game.
It's a fact that the learning curve of the game is high for the average player.
People like you and me who plays tons of games and can adapt easily to new gameplay styles are scarce, the average player will struggle with Souls games.
Also difficulty is a gameplay trait.
>>
Souls series were always casual.You have number of choices to make the game alot more easier than it actually is.You can grind souls towards of making a crutch build and make everything a cheese walk afterwards.It really depends on the quality of your build.The game requires a little skill but not that much.People that are acting like this is the most hardcore game that ever existed make me cringe as fuck.Pvp is even more of a joke than PvE.P2P, unbalanced mess and underage turbo virgins.
>>
File: 1458393329236.jpg (30 KB, 600x549) Image search: [Google]
1458393329236.jpg
30 KB, 600x549
>>333598059
I'm fucking retching holy goddamn shit.
>>
File: 1435054542876.jpg (33 KB, 312x390) Image search: [Google]
1435054542876.jpg
33 KB, 312x390
>>333598059
>>
>>333598059
that's basically what they're asking for
>>
GIT

GUD
>>
>"Playing to win."

What?
>>
>>333590614
Wouldn't it be great if FROM announced there's always been a god mode in the games. You just need to enter the Konami code at the title screen.
>>
>>333598346
Having to put any effort while watching your interactive movies is highly problematic and toxic
>>
File: Aha.jpg (287 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Aha.jpg
287 KB, 1280x720
>>333597559
>People enjoy difficulty
The success of the Souls series utterly debunks this statement.
>>
>>333598346
It's common in android and ios games that you can just make the game "play itself" and you just collect the results.
Some people genuinely enjoy "playing" like that.
>>
Why is /v/ so stupid. You could find literally billions of comments of people saying stupid things about video games, why does /v/ latch onto news article bait like a parasite and scream to the high heavens "OMG LOOK HOW FUCKING STUPID THIS PERSON IS"

Why dont you all look in a mirror if you want to gawk as someone stupid.
>>
No, the game does not need an easy mode. Millions of people have played dark souls and completed it. There is no reason anyone else can't do the same.

If you cannot put in the time/effort to play the game, go elsewhere, it's not your kind of game. I'm tired of developers spoon feeding everyone all the time. WoW is a great example of this.
>>
>>333598186
Well I'd argue that Xcom2 on max difficulty settings would be harder, although I suppose it's not entirely fair to compare a game with multiple difficulty settings to a game with none and it does have a big RNG element to it.

I'm more of a proponent of an idea that difficulty is part of gameplay but gameplay itself does not create difficulty entirely, you can adjust difficulty more easily than gameplay mechanics; e.g. poison drains your health is a gameplay mechanic, how fast comes from difficulty adjustment.

>>333598550
Literally coming into a thread just to shitpost about people discussing a topic pertaining directly to a video game.
Are you an Australian who got lost on the way to /pol/ ?
>>
all movies ever should have the director constantly telling me what's going on while it plays
sure it would completely ruin their vision but something something inclusiveness
>>
If Dark Souls adds a difficulty slider video games are officially dead.
>>
>>333598649
>Literally coming into a thread just to shitpost about people discussing a topic pertaining directly to a video game.
Feel free to reread >>333598550 and realize how stupid you are
>>
>>333598550
You're taking /v/ too seriously.
None of the shit posted here matters in the outside world.
It's shitposting and arguments devoid of meaning.
In the end companies will do what's best for their profit and people will play what they enjoy,
>>
>>333592242
Is this true and everyone is purposely ignoring it, or is it bullshit and everyone is purposely ignoring it?
>>
>>333598705
Please re-read >>333598649 and realise that you have a reading comprehension of a 3 year old.

And while you're at it re-read the whole thread and you'll see majority of people here discussing the idea, not the article itself.
>>
>>333598773
It's true, we're ignoring it because thread is pretty much over if we take it into account.
>>
>>333598705
I'm sorry, what are you mad about?

Some guy wrote an article on the internet about something which happened to be an extremely controversial topic, /v/ decides to discuss his point after.

The reason why people are discussing his article instead of some retard youtubers comment is because the writer of an article clearly has influence over some people. He is using the internet as a platform to express his opinion, just as we are using it to discuss his opinion. Calm the fuck down you angry sack of shit.
>>
Why does Dark Souls need an easy mode? Can't shitters just grind more and summon sunbros if they can't handle the game? Can't they just use magic and pyromancy?
>>
>>333590614
Difficulty is an artistic choice made by the developers which conveys their vision; feelings of frustration and triumph motivated by this difficulty are aesthetically relevant values that the game pursues. Including an easy mode would diminish that art.
>>
>>333598773
yes it's true
when people ask for an easy mode they are really asking for an inferior version
Miyazaki being Miyazaki will never let that happen
>>
File: 32672331413.jpg (100 KB, 549x549) Image search: [Google]
32672331413.jpg
100 KB, 549x549
>>333590614
>git gud
>git gud
>WHY DONT YOU JUST GIT GUD?!
>>
>>333596251
Ninja Gaiden did this well. The main female ninja makes fun of you, and then you wear a ribbon for the rest of the game. I remember some clickbait site guy got triggered hard by it. So good
>>
>>333599062
No because all of their problems come from the fact that they are lazy as fuck and are unwilling to put any time into games. They keep saying how Souls games are "too hard" yet nothing in those game demands any kind of skills or abilities that a non-disabled person wouldn't have or be able to get with a little bit of practice.
>>
>>333590614

what people fail to realize is that by adding an easy mode developers can be more comfortable making challenging gameplay for the core fanbase, this can be seen in super mario galaxy 2 that goes apeshit with the platforming compared to galaxy 1, this is because retarded idiots can be expected to use the cosmic guide while actual players will have fun beating the challenging content the way it's meant to be played, after all the cosmic guide is pretty much a playback of someone beating the level so it's not like significant development time was stolen to put this feature there, you idiots need to realize that games are not a nerdy passtime like they used to be, they are a giant business that outclasses big budget film productions in high levels, the more accessible they are, the better sales, the more games, if you are gainst this you are just a retard.
>>
>>333599338
I hate how that's seen as some kind of shitposting insult or something these days, when it originally meant for someone to just put some actual effort inti it. Can't beat a boss? Try more, learn the attacks, maybe level up or get better gear. That's what "git gud" means. That there's no secret you're missing that asking online will tell you. Just play the damn game more
>>
>>333593651

fuck off yoda your a faget lol
>>
>>333599664
>the more accessible they are, the better sales, the more games, if you are gainst this you are just a retard.
maybe Miyazaki is more concerned with the quality of his work than sales
>>
>>333599804

>muh quality
>souls "I'll rehash this sound effect for 7 years" games
>>
File: Big League Chew.png (195 KB, 804x804) Image search: [Google]
Big League Chew.png
195 KB, 804x804
>>333590614
I bet the author of that article was not a Big League Chew.
>>
>>333590614
>5 of these games now and casual news site faggots still can't play them
>>
That autoplay video scared the shit out of me
>>
>>333599907
you'd think people you could learn to play after 5 rehashes
>>
>>333590614
No. "Natural" difficulty select is better. For an example, Magic builds tend to make Dark Souls EZ Mode. Like, really fucking easy, just nuke everything with spells. Scrubs who can't dodge stuff can just hide behind shields the whole game, my first playthrough I relied on Spear + Shield turtling. People without skillz can grind levels, wear heavy armors and gouge Vitality so they take more hits without dieing. Your build can make Dark Souls a lot easier and more forgiving. An "easy mode" is redundant when there's already was to make the game easier. Same with "Hard mode", there's builds that give you a nice self-imposed challenged while also opening up new gameplay possibilities, such only using weak Bleed weapons to encourage offense with lots of dodging.
>>
>>333600276
Further, an Easy Mode would really fuck up the playerbase.
>invading an Easy mode player
>co-oping with an Easy mode player
>>
>>333600276
Setiously. I play as generic sword and board soldier because I have no imagination. But my friend and I tried going no armor, fist weapons only, and holy crap it made us much better players overall. When I eventually switched back to my regular gear, I was so much better at reading attacks and dodging. The game is only as hard as you yourself make it
>>
>>333600578
Power stance caestus and dragon bone fists were a lot of fun in DS2. These games are so much easier when you stay aggressive and dodge through the attacks instead of backpedaling away with a shield up half the time.
>>
>>333590614
There is an easy mode. Its called coop
>>
>>333590614
Couldn't finish the article, way too cringey. This has got to be the most pretentious thing ive ever read
>>
>>333600773
up until you're fighting flying ice reindeer that shoot lightning

fuck the frozen outskirts holy shit
>>
>>333600773
Exactly. And then I took it to the belltower to practice PvP and got shit on constantly. Until I learned to read moves and spells and all that. Losing is a part of learning, but people want to be able to play games without ever dying in them. It's retarded
>>
>>333600931
I agree, that area was poorly designed. I did it only once and will never do it again. Just sat there killing the horses over and over until they ran out of spawns.
>>
>>333599927
whenever I make a DaS thread asking for tips I never get gitgud responses, myabe it's the way I ask for stuff?
>>
As a reviewer that played the western version solo (except for a couple of NPC summons), Dark Souls 3 is the easiest of the bunch.
I hate the GIT GUD meme but seriously, they balanced the game and people still complain? Dark Souls 2 was a shitty mess of multienemy battles, but this time around you just need to dodge and take your time.
>>
>>333601274
I mean, I get that it's an optional area in the final DLC, so it should be difficult, but holy goddamn that was some serious bullshit. Even the rest of the ivory king, really. Those ice porcupine fuckers? Who the fuck thought to put those in an area with mages and soul golems?

The only way I could really fight them was cheesing them with a bow
>>
File: firefox_2016-04-08_22-43-10.png (237 KB, 846x773) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2016-04-08_22-43-10.png
237 KB, 846x773
would you trust a bethesdrone to write about games with actual gameplay?
>>
I don't understand why people find it really hard on the first place

Put your shield up, strafe around the enemy and attack when you see an opening or its safe

Are people really stupid or just retarded
>>
>>333598773
Yep.
Gotta get those (you)s somehow.
>>
>>333601482
You know that the review version is easier so all the shitters had a chance to complete it, right?
>>
>that one guy who says he is a pro at Dark Souls, but summons for each boss.
>>
>>333590614
lolno
>>
Have you guys looked in /dsg/? There's nothing mentioned about easy mode.
Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.