[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the creation and use of super soldiers unethical?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
Is the creation and use of super soldiers unethical?
>>
>>333583358
Only if one military industrial complex holds the secret to creating them, if all countries have access than it becomes part of accepted war ethics.
>>
there is no ethics in war
>>
>>333583580
Isn't that like saying that if you invent an incredibly effective weapon you have to share it with everyone?
>>
>>333583672
its fair.

>inb4 alls fair in love and war
no. war has legalities.
>>
yes, if only because it furthers this problem where human soldiers are treated like "tools" and when war ends, they have nowhere to go because war is all they can do
>>
>>333583358
Who gives a shit? Don't doom everyone into mediocrity just because 'MUH MORALS' faggot.
>>
>>333583580
>war
>ethics
>>
>>333583358
At one time England got their ass kicked because they found crossbows unethical because they were too easy to use, and would stick to longbowmen instead of giving every dumb fuck what was essential the AK47 of its time.

When it comes to super soldier it depends entirely if it's done when they're grown up and chose to transfer themselves by their own free will or if they're forced by it as children. But then it isn't really the fact that they're super soldiers that's unethical but the fact you're dealing with child soldiers.
>>
If a super soldier was discharged would they have to give up their cyber arms and legs?
>>
>>333584279
Not if their on rechargeables
>>
>>333583782
>>333583782
What's that? I can't here you over the sound of these marching super soldiers that "illegally" just invaded your country
>>
>>333584279
maybe they could switch them out?
>>
>>333583847
War ethic is a thing, it's a derivative of strategy between forces. it's not the same as normal ethic. In the same way theory and scientific theory are different things.

Triage was thought up as a part of what a war ethic is. Acceptable losses for the greater whole is part of the strategy of war plays into how to define war ethic.

>>333583672
Everyone opposed to Imperial Germany considered them to be unethical for using StG 44's in battle back when grunt portable rapid fire rifles were new. The second everyone else came up with their own version the question of buzzing entire regiments in seconds became the standard for all parties.
>>
>>333584553
also mustard gas
and Germany also hated it when americans wipe out their trenches using shotguns because whodathunk shotguns would be so effective there
They protested about it claiming "Shotguns are hunting weapons not for war" and that they'll execute american prisoners.
>>
>>333584553
>>333584763
>"Shotguns are hunting weapons not for war" and that they'll execute american prisoners
Jesus, what fucking manchildren.
>>
File: Major.jpg (121 KB, 528x720) Image search: [Google]
Major.jpg
121 KB, 528x720
>>333584279
Ghost in this Shell answered this question pretty well. Batou talked about it. You had three options being a military cyborg. The first being get the implants and parts removed, the second is exchange them for civilian variants, the third is keep them but go into the private OPs sector to keep paying for them due to their massive expense. Augs in GitS are basically like car or house loans. Paying above your means is bad because you won't be able to pay for the upkeep/tax involved, but military vets get military compensation and consultation by private lending firms after they go private.
>>
>'rules' of war

lol super soldiers will only be useful until nucular war
>>
>>333585534
Vacuum tube cyborgs, where's your EMP god now?
>>
Imagine a game about robot cyborg AI America fighting against Zerg/Tyranid one mind Communist Russia
>>
>>333585194
Germans are autistic, this has been a joke at their expense for hundreds of years.
>>
>>333583358
Depends
Assuming that creating super soldiers requires tinkering with the human body with implants, prosthetics and tinkering with the human genome it boils down to the question:
Is it unethical to play god/become living gods?
Personally I'd say no, because all of humanity we strive to become better and more successful. Push our boundaries
Becoming living gods would be a good way to do say
The means to achieve this actually where ethics come into play if you ask me
Achieving this godhood at the expense of millions of people is not ethical
>>
>>333586506
>it boils down to the question:
>Is it unethical to play god/become living gods?
are you 15?
>>
>>333583358
Soldiers as a concept aren't exactly ethical in the first place.
>>
>>333583782
>war has legalities

kek, i bet you think its impossible for national conflict in todays age because of treaties and the un

spoiler they said the exact same thing before the great war
>>
Yes but that has no bearing on whether or not it will be done.
>>
File: forced meme.jpg (2 KB, 74x125) Image search: [Google]
forced meme.jpg
2 KB, 74x125
>>333583580

It's an absurd human notion to think that war is supposed to have ethics. Conflict isn't supposed to be so commonplace that it has rules. Aggression shouldn't be tolerated and should be quelled by any means necessary.

If aliens came to visit us they'd look with vacant confused stares. We are humans. Our war has rules. Our most influential individuals gain their influence by moving around others' debt and dodging their responsibility to society. We punish people for thought crimes and potential future inaction. We allow billions of brainwashed crazies to base all their life decisions on irrational thinking even when it impacts the rest of society. We are more afraid of our own bodies and their functions than instruments of destruction and their application. We take offense even when it isn't given. Our species is fucked.
>>
>>333583789
>war
>ending
Don't worry. There's always another sandbox to decimate.
>>
>>333588395
I can smell the /pol/
>>
>>333583358
It depends on the how, why and whom, but yea- super-soldiers hold the potential of being creation.
Not everything in life is a gloomy TV/Video game drama.
>>
>>333588395
The first chapter of MGS4 handles this subject very well.
>>
>>333588559

No I just used Carl the cuck because it's the closest thing I have to the apex of human stupidity. /v/ isn't perfect, /tv/ is worse and /pol/ is even worse than that. I would never post there.
>>
>>333588395
Nah, if aliens came to visit us, they'd probably compare us to a similar period in their history. Seems conceited to assume humans are special snowflakes in either direction.
>>
>>333588395
>>333589458
>I know how aliums think
15yo get out
>>
>>333589458

You're probably right. Though it is entirely possible that an alien species evolved with very little conflict. There are many animal species on Earth that don't fight amongst themselves pretty much at all. If an intelligent species evolved with a strong instinctual adversion to harming members of their own species, they could form a global society with no conflict that was generated naturally.

Their biological evolution would probably be slower than with humans, but after reaching the age of fire and tools they would develop extremely fast compared to us, especially if they don't develop lasting systems of superstition.
>>
>>333589769
>If an intelligent species evolved with a strong instinctual adversion to harming members of their own species
We are such a species. We're way, way more inclined to harm members of other species than members of our own.
>>
>>333589897
I'd hate to see a species that had no inclination to not harm their own kind then.
>>
I hate people who try to force their beliefs on others, so I think super soldiers are ethical.
>>
File: MTE5NTU2MzE2NjQyNzcyNDkx.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NTU2MzE2NjQyNzcyNDkx.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
Where's the script?
>>
>Devs talk about how DX is going to have movies and shit
>Books, comics, ect

Still nothing.
>>
WAR, IS HELL.
>>
Using life as nothing more than a tool or resource is unethical, but who the fuck gives a shit about ethics? We're practically beasts eating our own shit at this point in history, too many people have it too rough for us to move on from raw opportunism. Until everyone can feel safe that they won't get killed or kidnapped, until everyone has enough food, until everyone can rest assured that they can secure their own purpose in life, free from the whims of others, we are primitives and our behavior will reflect that.
>>
>>333583358
He's voiced by Arthur's Dad

And Darrow is voiced by Mr Ratburn
>>
>>333590013
stop forcing your shit beliefs on us, cunt
>>
>>333590486
Isn't Sarif a crazy hobo in real life?
>>
>>333590202
They just need to find the right actress to play Letitia.
>>
>>333590680
The devs describe him as "free spirited"
>>
>>333590202
There are a bunch of new comics.
>>
New question, when augentations become commonplace (because fuck you, of course they will), assuming it happen in your lifetime (big assumption, though), would you go for them?
Or are you opposed to the idea of messing with the human body in such a way?
>>
>>333590906
I'd probably only end up getting augs when my original body starts breaking down. I'm cheap that way.
>>
>>333590613
I'm not. I'd rather kill you than make you think like me.
>>
>>333590906
i see nothing wrong with augmentations for people who are physically handicap. but people cutting off and replacing their limbs for the hell off it is pretty fuck up.
>>
>>333590906
I'd wait for the first generation of people to get the side effects before hopping on board. That first gen is either going to suffer immune responses, bugs, faults and limitations, discrimination for looking so different or they might experience depression at the realisation they've hacked off a part of themselves they can never get back.
After that's all worked out sure.
>>
>>333591182
What about augmenting fetuses?
>>
>>333591182
What about adding a solid state drive to your brain that lets you record footage directly from your cerebral cortex?
>>
>>333591280
>>333591297
i dont want any government/coprate shils playing with my body.
>>
>>333591182
That reminds me of a Ted Talks segment about replacements for paralyzed people. It kinda reminded me of Raiden's cyborg body from MGS4, honestly. They even mentioned synthetic muscle fiber and blood IIRC.
>>
File: 1458136254779.jpg (29 KB, 286x242) Image search: [Google]
1458136254779.jpg
29 KB, 286x242
>>333591247
>MFW suicide rates for transitioned trannies is 20x higher than people who just cross dress
>>
>>333591479
>in the future we'll have people who think they're robots trapped in human bodies, and "transition" into cyborgs via augments, but still find something to complain about anyway
>>
>>333591479
tyrannies are fucking dumb. most they dont know what they want. yet, the media is trying to make it seem like a beautiful thing. they even let kids do it. KIDS! they dont know what they want and it will effect them for the rest of their lives.
>>
>>333591479
That's what happens when you treat a mental disorder with treatment to everywhere but their brain.
>>333591636
Calm down grandpa.
>>
>>333584417
This makes sense. Military would provide them with quality civilian prosthetics, and then they can repurpose the used military prosthetics for their next round of soldiers. Or if the prosthetics are being phased out they could just de-weaponize the old ones and send the soldier on their way.
>>
>>333591636
>tyrannies are fucking dumb
Sometimes despotism works, you know? Tyrants aren't all bad
>>
>>333590730
>>333590680

If you're talking about fruit flies, it was an improvisational threatrical piece.
>>
>>333591636
>Caring about chillum
har
>>
>>333592859
I know that, I was just repeating what the lead writer said in the developer commentaries. He's a weird dude.
>>
>>333583358
No as in the end it would just be infantry.
And why would anyone invest money in creating useless infantry. 99% of infantry isnt needed for fighting these days.
>>
>>333583358
What's ethical is determined by the winner.
>>
>>333587869
War does have legalities. It's up to you to cross over but try to not lose because it will come back to shit you in the face. War is not always about going all out and take everything from the loser, on the contrary, history shows that it's almost always counter productive to leave your opponent with a good reason to come back once it has licked its wound.

Franco prussian war allowed WWI because of Alsace Lorraine, and WWI allowed WWII because of the diktat.

On the contrary, despite having their capital burned to the ground by themselves, russians were exemplary when they took Paris to defeat Napoleon.

So yeah, you can "play" fair and square, war is not only about going full retards, it's first and foremost a political matter
>>
>>333588395
The reason war has conventions and rules is because WW1 was so fucking horrifying everyone collectively came together and agreed that we're not going to use chemical weapons or hollow-points or germ warfare or any of that other shit anymore because once the war is over (and it's always over eventually) you have to live with the consequences of it. It's kind of absurd on the face of it, but the alternative is too fucking horrible to even consider.
>>
File: xcom.gif (551 KB, 256x313) Image search: [Google]
xcom.gif
551 KB, 256x313
>>333584279
>cut off a soldier's arms and legs for Mech duty
>discharge them
>>
>>333595569
>wasting meld
>>
>>333595430
>the alternative

That's exactly the problem. The false dichotomy of war with rules and war without rules. We pick the lesser evil because we're too stupid to pick from the stack of good. Ideology is insanity, politics is ignorance, knowledge is unity, and it's the latter that we refuse to consider leading us.
>>
File: GXjPktSTUFY.jpg (41 KB, 604x340) Image search: [Google]
GXjPktSTUFY.jpg
41 KB, 604x340
>>333583358

Will they show the Russian-Mexican conquest of Texas after California gets swallowed by the sea? I guess this will increase the number of military cyborgs. Or forcefully conscript everyone with an implant to the military.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.