[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Final Fantasy game to start with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10
File: FF1 logo_PSP--article_image.jpg (42 KB, 620x268) Image search: [Google]
FF1 logo_PSP--article_image.jpg
42 KB, 620x268
Never played a Final Fantasy game before, /v/. Where should I start?
>>
Just pick one you drooling retard
>>
>>333539251
if you want sprites, VI
if you want 3D graphics, X
if you want to play the one regarded as the best one, VII
>>
7, 8, 9 are all good
XIV is a legit good MMO, don't listen to the shitposters

All the early Sprite games like 3,4,5 and 6 are good, even fucking 12 is good.

Just play one OP, it's a very strong series
>>
>>333539842
this

Hell even XV will probably be pretty good

XIV is awesome, 600 hours and I have no intention on stopping
>>
>>333539251
13, 13-2 and 13 Lightning Transcended.
>>
>>333539251

For starters, 5 or 6 are good. Play the SNES or Gameboy versions of either, but make sure you have the music patch for 6 if you go gameboy.

FF7 was also a majority of people's first final fantasy, so you can start there too.

FFX is pretty simple and pretty to look that, but it started the whole trend of Final Fantasy Hallways that plauged FF13 and such.

There's no connecting story to tie the games together, just certain motifs that make FF an FF, starting with earlier games in the series will give you a better appreciation for the series as a whole.
>>
>>333539251
If you want the 'classic origins' start with ff1 (in fact I recommend starting here, you do not need to beat it, but I'd play up to at least the second fiend). The game is not very story heavy; if you enjoyed this move on to FF4. 2 and 3 were not particularly amazing.

If you want the 'quintessential version' start with ff5 - it has quirkiness, humor, and reasonably solid gameplay, from there move on to ff6 where they really step up their game with plot and characters. If you like what FF5 offered in terms of the job system, play war of the lions.

If you want more modern, go with 7, from there go to 8 (which is good, but disjointed from the roots of the series in a way that seven isn't quite). FF9 can be good, but it is also *INCREDIBLY* referential to earlier entries.

FF10 is a really solid game with a great story, but once again it is a step away from the 'traditional'. 10-2 had good gameplay, but its story was a mess.

12 was pretty good, but it played around with a lot of strange ideas. I've heard that later versions like IZJS were much better than the original, even though the original was 'okay'. There were problems with some of the characters and it told the story in a manner that many didn't like.

Avoid 13 like the plague, its gameplay was "okay", but the storytelling was ass and the rest of the game was a corridor, it was an 'okay' game but overall a terrible final fantasy. 13-2 was mediocre and underwhelming. Lightning returns can be ignored as well unless you're already solidly invested in the 13 line.

Tactics advance and advance 2 were bad.
>>
>>333539842
>XIV is a legit good MMO
No it isn't.
>>
>>333540525
Nice opinion, millions of players disagree.
>>
File: ArgumentHeirarchy.png (147 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
ArgumentHeirarchy.png
147 KB, 1280x960
>>333540525
Good argument, you sure substantiated it well and explained why and where it's bad!
>>
>>333540612
>implying people who play mmo games are even remotely worth considering.
>>
>>333540612
>millions of players
Holy fuck you're retarded.

>>333540773
How come >>333539842 doesn't have to explain why it's good? He made the initial claim.
>>
>>333539251
>VI
>VII or IX
>Tactics
Main series have solid games, some are better, some are worse. But to be honest with you, Tactics is my favorite one.
>>
>>333539842
im selling you my XIV account if you want pld 60 ilvl 200, heansward compleete and lots of 50 jobs, 130 euros
>>
>>333540861
Because points grounded in common sense shouldn't need to be explained otherwise discussions quickly go no where. Unless you are asserting something controversial a high degree of proof isn't necessarily a requirement.

"FF14 is a good game, it has gotten some bad press, but it is actually quite enjoyable" That is a *reasonable* statement.

"NUH UH" doesn't do anything to actually refute said reasonable statement.
>>
>>333541160
What kind of retard would buy a game that's already finished?
>>
>>333540861
Yeah dude everyone's just pretending to enjoy the game.

YOURE fucking retarded.
>>
1 on the psp.
>>
>>333540861
>millions of players

Yes faggot millions of people play the game, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>333540861
>BAWWW HOW COME EVERYONE ACCEPTS THE FAIR AND POSITIVE POST

Because most normal people tend to ignore angry butt mad mouth breathers like you.

What a concept.
>>
>>333540861

Because most normal people tend to ignore angry butt mad impossible to please shitbabies like you.

What a concept.
>>
Start with 1
Work your way up to 15
play all the spin offs
wait for 16
>>
>>333540861

Because most normal people tend to ignore angry butt mad annoying autismal downie retards like you.

What a concept.
>>
File: 1450585886621.jpg (40 KB, 457x322) Image search: [Google]
1450585886621.jpg
40 KB, 457x322
>OP asks what game to start with
>Some people give him a whole list of at least 5+ games

It's like asking for directions to get to a location. Instead of giving me 1 way to get to my destination people give 5 different ways to get there. Just 1 is enough
>>
>>333539251
start with 4, 6, or 7 after that play what ever you want
>>
>>333541267
>Because points grounded in common sense
There is no common sense in saying FFXIV is a good mmo

>"FF14 is a good game, it has gotten some bad press, but it is actually quite enjoyable"
That's not what you said. You said "FF14 is a good game, ignore the people who disagree with me."

>only relevant content is 4 bosses and won't be updated until half a year later (and when it does get updated the current content will immediately become irrelevant)
>patches became even smaller after HW
>loads of missing features that were promised before launch
>PVP is still shit
>duty finders

>>333543087
Square enix has never once said there were more than a million people playing. Accounts and subscribers are two different things. People who got the game for 2 bucks on amazon during 1.0 are counted. The only people not counted are trial accounts There are around 750k active accounts according to the lodestone.

>>333543316
>>333543456
Nice going, dumbass
>impossible to please
So I have to enjoy literally everything in the world or I'm impossible to please? I love final fantasy games, but FFXIV is a bad MMO.

>>333539251
Start with IV. It's the first one to get things 'right'. When you decide to play more don't play 2.
>>
>>333543747
>XI
Impossible at this point
>XIV
Lel
>>
>>333541160
No you're not but ok
>>
>>333543829
>implying there aren't multiple paths to the same place

It's about the journey, not the destination anon.

Sometimes you want to take the scenic route, sometimes you just gotta get where you're going. The destination may change occasionally, but the journey will always be a completely new experience.

Go forth my child, venture ahead, pierce the darkness with your righteous light and make the world a better place. I know you can do it, you always could.
>>
>>333544024
>>XI
>Impossible at this point
That's the exact opposite of the truth. You can solo nearly all of the story missions now and finding people to help with stuff you need help with isn't hard because the game actually has a social and helpful community
>>
>>333544020
Didn't read any of that, don't care DESU.

Post a response calling me a faggot, I won't read it either.
>>
>>333544362
Can I pirate it? also what's the best server? I want to play it completion before it goes extinct
>>
>>333539251
FF I
>>
>>333544508
>Can I pirate it?
Sure, but you'll have to play on a private server, and those usually have small populations and you won't be able to solo stuff since most of them are about reliving when the game was entirely about levelling up in parties
>also what's the best server?
Asura if you're playing retail. I don't know about private servers.
>I want to play it completion before it goes extinct
As far as I know there are no private servers with Rhapsodies, so you'd need to play retail to do the whole story.

>>333544498
>why do you think the game is bad
>here's why
>lol i wont read that do u think im literate or something???
ok
>>
File: DiscussionFlowchart.jpg (279 KB, 622x866) Image search: [Google]
DiscussionFlowchart.jpg
279 KB, 622x866
>>333544020
>There is no common sense in saying FFXIV is a good mmo

Logical fallacies undermine your argument, and personal incredulity is a logical fallacy. Just cause you cannot possibly conceive or accept that people may have opinions different from yours doesn't mean they don't exist captain autism. So in short you're starting from a flawed, irrational and biased viewpoint, thus I must take everything you say with heavy skepticism.

Common sense and sound reasoning are the basis of rational discourse. You are not displaying them, you are throwing a tantrum.

>That's not what you said. you said "FF14 is a good game, ignore the people who disagree with me."
You are talking to two different people, and the difference between "Ignore people who disagree with me (because they are biased and irrationally hate it)" and "It has gotten some bad press" is inconsequential.

>Bunch of shit.
cool opinion. these have totally never happened in any other MMO, and dev teams have never, ever failed to deliver on 'promises' due to shifting of goals before.

>repeating assertion "ff14 is bad" with no substantiating evidence
Repeating it doesn't make your statement any more true. Prove your argument, with soundly reasoned arguments and examples; be specific.
>>
>>333544953
Sorry I didn't catch that, I don't speak faggot.
>>
File: 1448967272348.gif (377 KB, 500x275) Image search: [Google]
1448967272348.gif
377 KB, 500x275
>>333544323
That... that was beautiful
>>
4-9 are all great in their own right and good places to start
>>
>>333545401
fucking retard
>1st bubble
>can you think of something that would make you change your mind?
no, because if i could, then I would have already changed my mind
your'reare a idiit
>>
>>333547446
>>333540773
>name calling

Out of arguments and don't want to 'discuss' things? I guess we'll just have to laugh your unpopular and shitty opinion out of the thread.

get rekt fuckface.
>>
>>333547629
That isn't me. I'm typing up a response to >>333545401 right now.

>>333545758
Weird, you seem like you'd be fluent. But I know Mexicans who can't speak spanish so I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise if someone can't speak their native tongue
>>
>>333539251

From the first one, play them in release date

1 to 6 (barring 3) are playable in an emulator, if you can play the PSP version of 1 and 2 (if not, then GBA ones), play GBA version of 4 to 6 (I think the PSP version of 4 is good too), SNES version of 4 to 6 isn't bad either.

If you have a DS, try 3 there or you cna download it from steam I guess (same goes for FF4's remake)

7 and 8 are on Steam,, 7 trhu 9 are on PSN, the three of them can be emulated, but too bad PS1 emulators are kinda shitty desu.

I played them in this order since I never knew

>10 (didn't finish it)
>3 DS
>6 SNES
>7 ps1
>4 DS
>5 SNES
>1 (PSP)
>8 PS1
>9 PS1
>2 (GBA)
>14

(Never finished X, didn't touch XI and will probably never touch XIII and the sequels, maybe ONLY XIII).

1 and 4 are a good Starting point too since they're more classic and establish many things that are used throughout the other ones.
>>
>>333539251
13-2, just let your hopes die now to save you pain later
>>
>>333547629
I'm a different guy. couldn't care less about your shitty thread. do yourself a favor though and never ever post that image again
>>
>>333545401
>be specific.
Let's start from the bottom and go up in my list

>duty finders
Duty finders are bad for mmos. FFXIV is full of them and there are a lot of consequences because of that. Every patch after a raid is released it is nerfed to accommodate people using the duty finder. This is a bad thing because it shortens the longevity of content and essentially removes the possibility of anyone in the future experiencing the content the way it was originally meant to be played. Imagine if 3 months after KH2.5 came out they put out a patch that nerfed all the extra bosses so they were killable by just mashing the attack button for 20 seconds and there was no way to fight the original versions. Do you think people would be happy about that?

Duty finders also reduce the incentive to go out into the world because you can do nearly everything from the comfort of your own home, and if players have less incentive to go somewhere then developers have less incentive to make that place exciting. Furthermore Duty Finders reduce the incentive to be nice. Why be nice to someone you'll almost never again, and even if you do meet them again they're almost certainly on another server. In games with no duty finders you are encouraged to be friendly and make friends because you need those friends to succeed.

>PVP is still shit
I'll admit right now this is my weakest point because I don't care too much about pvp in mmos. FFXIV game simply isn't built for it. It's far too unresponsive even though they planned for it to be a major part of the game. The different pvp modes are all junk except the newest one. As far as I know the first frontlines map still hasn't been updated for level 60 and the second map is an rngfest.

About to hit character limit, I'll continue in another post
>>
File: 1448650932757.gif (554 KB, 295x221) Image search: [Google]
1448650932757.gif
554 KB, 295x221
>Topic got derailed to mmo talk
T-thanks guys
>>
>>333549972
OP got his suggestions. There is never going to be a single answer to this question anyway and there's already been probably hundreds of threads made on the exact same subject.

>>333545401
But why does pvp being bad matter in an MMO? Because it's a unique experience to multiplayer games and, in my opinion, MMOs are supposed to be the pinnacle of multiplayer games.

But like I said, I don't really care about PVP in mmos too much but I'll explain in my next point why the PVP being bad is part of the reason FFXIV is a bad MMO.

>loads of missing features that were promised before launch
I'll be extra specific and list what exactly is missing
>addons
>open world primals and summoning primals
>frontlines siege
>large scale FATES
>ranked pvp (until the most recent patch, nearly 3 years later)
There's definitely some other stuff I'm forgetting.

I totally understand that stuff gets shifted around and stuff has to be cut but here's why this was especially bad for FFXIV.

Story time: As you hopefully know, FFXIV existed before ARR and it was a thing that people played and it was bad (until the end when it was alright-ish). Then it got shut down and we were told they were fixing it and they showed some cool concept render that looked like 1.23b but better and they were hyping us up with all these cool features. And then the alpha came out shortly after (or maybe it was right before servers shut down, it's been a while) and it was WoW: FF edition. This disappointed a lot of people but the dungeon in the alpha was fun and the stuff we were being told by SE gave us hope. I mean why play WoW? It doesn't have primal summoning! And then beta came and not much changed besides the dungeon shrinking in size to appease casuals who couldn't spend an extra 15 min in there and pvp was added but it was pretty janky but surely that'd be fixed by launch.

gonna continue in another post
>>
>>333549714
>Duty finders are bad for mmos
Sure, but they don't make a MMO bad simply through they're inclusion.

They are a necessary evil of convenience. I've played MMO's without them, and it was a shitty experience spending 2 hours trying to get people to a raid.

>it shortens the longevity of content
MMO's are not played the way they used to be, and even the 'top guilds' of everquest burned through through new content in weeks. This is nothing new and once again, does not mean the MMO itself is bad.

>Duty Finders reduce the incentive to be nice.
Not a problem inherent to the duty finder, but to how MMO's are being played nowadays.

Your complaints thus far are generic and could be leveled at *ANY* MMO. You'd need a far more specific argument to reasonably assert that FF14 is bad. Even the PVP aspect (which I agree with, MMO's are shit for pvp, even Eve Online has shit pvp and it's a pvp mmo).

I'd like to thank you for actually attempting to engage rationally instead of just being contradictory though.
>>
>>333539251
As a huge FF fan since I was seven years old starting with the original and playing the SNES version of IV (FF2 US) and then every installment since until one of the XIII spin offs.....

Don't. Just don't. FF is not a good video game series. All of the classics including FF6, which I once held in high esteem, have aged horribly. They are goofy. They are boring. They are a waste of time. Don't bother.

FF was good until FF8. FF9 was okay. FFX was good but it also aged badly. They're just bad games in the modern era and I feel really bad for their fanbase who seem to think they're not only as good as they once were but that the series is somehow still relevent.. Even in Japan. It's not. Case in point, FF15. Enjoy your garbage Nomura (he started it... he also ruined FF) Boy band development hell for a decade
>>
>>333539251
Play them all in order so you actually know what you're talking about when you inevitably start posting your shitty opinions here.
>>
File: 43242.png (931 KB, 730x1092) Image search: [Google]
43242.png
931 KB, 730x1092
>>333539251
Start with X, trust me.

Even though some of the cutscenes are fucking cringy as hell (HA HA HAH), it still has a fantastic combat system, potentional to grind a fuckton if you want that (not really necessary though), great OSTs and an overall good story, with actual good character designs

Still to this day, even though Ive played every FF games there is, several times, nothing beats X overall.
>>
>>333545401
Finally the game launched and it was pretty much WoW (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I'll get to that later) but everyone was excited because it was going to be BETTER than WoW... eventually. So we stuck with it, doing 2 dungeons over and over (while having to wait upwards of 30 minutes for an instance to open), doing the 3 primals and doing the 4 raid bosses and doing the absolutely fantastic relic quest (and that's not sarcasm.). Then 2.1 hits and we get LOTA, which was supposed to be out at launch, but that's fine, and extreme primals, which are alright. 3 new dungeons are added and we feel good because now we can choose between 3 instead of 2! We also get the next step of the relic quest and something happened. It went from a fun quest about killing primals and crafting weapons to a boring grind. I literally spent 15 hours in one zone one day for one of my atmas but it was worth it because I was totally going to use that zenith to kill Ifrit and summon him onto unsuspecting players in the siege pvp one day. Then 2.2 came out and something really bad happened. The content in the patch completely replaced -everything- in the game. Coil 1 was nerfed multiple times because Coil 2 was THE THING raiders were supposed to be doing. Leviathan was released and why the fuck are you doing extreme primals? Do leviathan. He's easy and his loot is better! His song sucks though. 2.3 comes out and it's very similar to 2.1 but now they added Hunts! and Frontlines! and Savage! Things are looking up. But Frontlines isn't what they said it'd be way before launch. And hunts are super boring. And savage has no rewards (which I actually don't mind, but many people did mind and the "race" to beat it ended up being a single japanese FC going hard at it.

oh boy character limit again. I really could just use pastebin but at least this keeps the thread bumped.
>>
>>333545401
This was really sad to see because races are, in my opinion, very important to building a community in a game. They are kind of like the MMO version of the olympics. Everyone knows it's happening and when someone finally wins it becomes news, especially if they're on your server.

2.4 comes out and it's great because we have a new class to play around with but it's bad because it repeats what we saw in 2.2 where all the content is replaced. Right around this time the fanfest happens and obviously HW gets announced and a bunch of stuff with it and it sounds great. Big world, challenging dungeons, Alex looks cool and big, etc.

2.5 comes out and they "kill" all the story characters. That's all I remember about that patch, I was too busy being bored with T13.

FINALLY, THREE WHOLE POSTS LATER, HW RELEASES. THE FIRST REAL EXPANSION TO THE GAME
and the game is pretty much reset to 2.0. 2 dungeons, 2 primals, 1 raid with 4 bosses (with two versions). I'll stop here because I pretty much quit during 3.0, only played 3.1 and 3.2 for 2 weeks or so.

So what was the point of this? To show why "shitposters" don't like the game.

You call me biased and say I irrationally hate it but the reality is FFXIV is probably THE game I want to succeed the most and when I say succeed I don't mean have good sales I mean I want it to be the best game possible. I've been playing this game on and off for more than 5 years now. There are so many times where I felt like "Yes, this game is FINALLY going to become great.": When yoshi took over and started implementing changes in 1.0. When we started getting details about plans for 2.0. When 2.3 was about to come out and we were getting the long-awaited frontlines. When fanfest happened and they revealed they've been working on an expansion. But the game refused to change. 1 raid, 2-3 dungeons, 1-2 primals. All instanced.

to be continued
>>
>>333545401
But why does this matter in terms of the game as an MMO? It matters because part of the fun of MMOs is the excitement of wondering what the game is going to be like in the future. With FFXIV that's not really there right now. The future is going to be 2 dungeons, a raid with 4 bosses, and 1-2 primals. Oh, and a sidequest to get you a good weapon that involves doing something 200 times.

SE has created a situation where I, and many other people, can't feel that excitement for a game we want to care about.

>only relevant content is 4 bosses and won't be updated until half a year later (and when it does get updated the current content will immediately become irrelevant)
I sort of covered this in that long rant about the game but I think making content irrelevant like this is more than just bad MMO design, it's bad game design. To me, it says "we can't come up with a way to make two things enticing at once." and like I said in the rant, it keeps the game in the same place, never moving forward.

>>333554983
Also I want to clarify something here. I'm not saying no one shitposts about the game. le 2.5GCD XD fags are shitposters.
>>
>>333539251
>>
>>333555960
One last thing

I'm pretty sure I never called FFXIV a bad game. As a game it's alright. I think it's a bad MMO.

Modern FFXI is also a bad MMO but it's a great game.
>>
File: chocobo.jpg (146 KB, 1400x600) Image search: [Google]
chocobo.jpg
146 KB, 1400x600
I'm doing a marathon of all the mainline titles before XV comes out, currently on 2. I'd say read a synopsis of the story and start with which one you like. 1 can be a bit slow for people, and 2 is generally hated for some reason.

Interesting fact, XV will start like II, in where at the beginning of the game, you get your shit wrecked.
>>
>>333539251
If you want traditional final fantasy but still close to modern day games, I'd recommend Bravely Default or Warriors of Light for the 3ds.

If you want old school sprites instead, you can start with the gba emulated games.

XIII is an okay game, but the linear pathway for the first half is not very indicative of most FF games.
>>
File: 124235347.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
124235347.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
just the GOAT checking in
>>
>>333548254
hm, you seem to have missed FF XII, which is pretty good imo

There's also Tactics and Bravely Default
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.