[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come Japanese directors become famous and big while western
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 18
File: miyazaki.png (917 KB, 1000x707) Image search: [Google]
miyazaki.png
917 KB, 1000x707
How come Japanese directors become famous and big while western directors remain nameless and muted? You never hear about any big western directors leading new AAA projects anymore. Are they not allowed to express themselves by their publishers?
>>
>>333503251
I've never heard of this guy outside of /v/. /v/ is full of weebs so naturally they circlejerk about Jap game directors.
>>
Western devs don't have an autistic weeb fanbase that follows their every move on Twitter and knows their favorite type of hamburger
>>
In what universe are any video game directors famous and big
>>
>>333503251
Who is he exactly?
>>
miyazaki can literally just make one type of game. He's a hack.
>>
Different culture is probably the answer. Or maybe the talent of some directors over the ones we have.
>>
>>333503251
jews
>>
>>333503251
Todd Howard.
Cliff Bleszinski.
Peter Molyneux.

Those are a few which are pretty well known.
>>
>>333503371
He became the President of the company after making Dark Souls. Just because you're a retard doesn't mean the OP is.
>>
>>333503371
/thread
>>
Todd Howard, Cliff Blezinga, Ken Levine, Houser brothers are fairly well known in the mainstream media.

The only famous jap nowadays is Kojima and maybe Miyazaki.
>>
>>333503251

Different cultures I guess. Where in west the dev name makes more difference than the combination of dev and director does in east or Japan more specifically since barely any other country makes relevant games there.
>>
>>333503623
fuck off
>>
>>333503251
Western devs have a bad history of promising too much.
>>
>>333503593
OK but I still hadn't heard if this guy until I got into Dark Souls and started coming in threads about the games.

What fucking point are you making?
>>
>>333503251
Because that is the way the AAA industry wants it to be.
You don´t know who makes the shat out cookie cutter sequel cashcows, much like you don´t know who works on a factory line, because they are equally replaceable.
Japan as a culture still values the single expert craftsman, at least part of it.
>>
>>333503251
Because Japanese directors plaster their name all over the game.
>>
File: Hideaki_Itsuno.jpg (67 KB, 1226x736) Image search: [Google]
Hideaki_Itsuno.jpg
67 KB, 1226x736
>>333503629
Kamiya (Platinum)

Itsuno (Capcom)

Nomura (SE)

Harada (Namco)

Taro Yoko (SE)

All of these are fairly popular devs leading fairly big projects.
>>
File: fish.jpg (221 KB, 1679x941) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
221 KB, 1679x941
Western directors get famous through their incompetency
>>
>>333503561
and all of them are known for delivering top quality and not being lying mouthpieces at all, correct?
>>
>>333503872
>I'm an ignorant fuck, please stop using facts
>>
>>333503251
Western directors are toothless bitches to the higher ups and most of their decisions are made by committee.
>>
>>333503887
And Sid Meier didn't?
>>
>>333503893
literally who
>>
John Carmack
>>
>>333503887
If western devs were allowed to do that, they would be doing it non-stop aswell. Western publishers don't want their devs empowered. Better keep them as bitch grunts instead.
>>
>>333503458
Dark Souls
>>
>>333503251
Nobody in their right mind wants to have his name associated forever with a shitty game, so clever developers don't do it

Nips just don't give a fuck because all their fellow nips will just buy their trash no matter how shit it is
>>
>>333504004
Whereas in the East they fuck up on their own accord and hope you rike it?
>>
>>333503975
that's not the topic anon
>>
>>333503561

I think the only reason anyone ever remembered who Cliffy B. was is because for some reason journalists constantly solicited his opinions on shit unrelated to any games he was working on.

They don't really do that anymore, he doesn't make video games anymore, and the people who are fans of Gears of War couldn't remember his name without those constant "Here's what Cliff Bleszinski thinks of AAA development trends this year!" reminders in Game Informer.
>>
>>333503976
You still haven't made your point clear. I hadn't heard of this guy until Das, and I may have done given I didn't get into DaS. He's hardly "famous". You could show a picture of this guy to most people and they wouldn't have a fucking clue who he is. Just because somebody is well known to YOU, doesn't mean they're well known on a general level.
>>
>>333503251
Jade Raymond sends her regards
>>
>>333504184
>Nobody in their right mind wants to have his name associated forever with a shitty game
This explains why western devs choose to remain anonymous considering the state of western games.
>>
>>333503251
Druckmann got famous after the Last of us, but we'll see if he's a one trick pony after Uncharted 4.
>>
>>333504279
Again, you think your ignorance matters. On a general level, people won't even recognize Stanley Kubrick. We're talkin about the medium and the culture that surrounds the medium. Not your ignorant retarded ass.
>>
>>333503975
First off, that isn't the topic at hand. Secondly, they've all been involved in some pretty big games. Gears of War and Unreal for Cliffy, Black & White and the Fable games for Peter, and Fallout and the Elder Scrolls for Todd.
>>
File: fug.png (329 KB, 944x663) Image search: [Google]
fug.png
329 KB, 944x663
Jap games are allowed to have titties
>>
>>333504184
sid meier, Tom Clancy and Colin McRae would disagree
>>
>>333504443
>We're talkin about the medium and the culture that surrounds the medium.
Is the general public even aware of Miyazaki's name? Even Kojima is more famous than him.
>>
>Who are Peter Molyneux, Tim Schafer, Todd Howard, Tim Cain, John Romero etc

It happens in the West too, it's just that weebs are more autistic and become obsessed
>>
>>333504443
I still don't think he's a recognisable as someone like Cliffy or Todd, especially to PC players.
>>
>>333503251
You mean the Japanese directors are infamous and small? Everyone knows Todd Howard, only minority of gamers know Miyazaki.
>>
File: julien_merceron_1.jpg (411 KB, 850x638) Image search: [Google]
julien_merceron_1.jpg
411 KB, 850x638
>During a conference held at the Cité des Sciences et de l’Industrie in Paris, attended by DualShockers, Bandai Namco Worldwide Technology Director Julien Merceron, who played a crucial part in the creation of the Fox Engine and of the Luminous Engine when he was working at Konami and Square Enix, talked about the difference between game development in the west and in Japan.

>The first difference is the structure of the teams, which influences greatly how decisions are taken. In Japan it’s extremely hierarchical, and generally a single man is at the core of the project. For instance, Hideo Kojima is at the core of Metal Gear, wile Hironobu Sakaguchi was the essence of the original Final Fantasy games.

>In Japan the artist is also considered “sacred.” Manipulating the work of the artist is seen in a bad light. Every time a programmer has to work on the tools’ side, they’d rather avoid it, because it might not please the artist, and that wouldn’t end well.

>In Japan no one wants to make those sacrifices, so they work “at the risk of their own life.” Merceron clarified that he’s serious about this. He heard stories about Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, mentioning that at the end of development, a few developers went directly to the hospital just after the game went gold.

tl;dr Japanese devs actually try to follow a vision whereas western development is design by committee.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/12/23/former-fox-and-luminous-engine-lead-explains-differences-between-japanese-and-western-development/
>>
>>333504279

Jesus fuck are you seriously this retarded. If stupidity were food i could feed all of Africa on the shit that is coming out of your mouth you dense fuck. I wish i could take all of the denseness out of your skull and compacted it into the size of a shipping container and fire it into the fucking sun.

Yes i'm mad.
>>
>>333503251

West glorifies people who play games on Stream while Japan glorifies the actual creators of the games.
>>
>>333504621
>Tim Cain, John Romero
Haven't been relevant for years

>Todd Howard
meme on the Internet for being a liar

>Peter Molyneux
Look above

>Tim Schafer
Look above
>>
>>333503251
Will Wright
Sid Meier
Carmack-Romero
Roberta Williams
CliffyB

Todd Howard
Molyneux
Tim Schafer
Ken Levine
Metzen

I think it's either older generations where their teams are small so easy to remember or fucking hacks that their names keep showing up because people shittalk them 24/7
>>
File: 1434839844743.png (31 KB, 187x127) Image search: [Google]
1434839844743.png
31 KB, 187x127
>>333504845
>>In Japan no one wants to make those sacrifices, so they work “at the risk of their own life.” Merceron clarified that he’s serious about this. He heard stories about Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, mentioning that at the end of development, a few developers went directly to the hospital just after the game went gold.
And yet both MGS4 and MGSV were trash.
>>
>>333504856
You sound fucking furious yet you still haven't addressed my point. OK, you know who Miyazki is, I get it. But would anybody outside of the DaS community know who he is? Like I said, he's not really famous. I'd argue Kamiya is more well known purely because of his twitter butthurt.
>>
>>333503251
So despite OP's pic being unrelated, what's the most famous Japanese dev right now that everyone knows of? I honestly can't name a single one.
>>
>>333505174
Kojima.
>>
>>333505174
>what's the most famous Japanese dev right now that everyone knows of

are you kidding me

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??
>>
>>333505174
>everyone knows off
What fuck criteria is this? Are you legit retarded? Can you name a western dev of the same calibre as Miyamoto?
>>
>>333505174
Usagi Yojimbo.
>>
>>333505351
Miyamoto is well known, but he's been around for fucking eons and he's the creator of Mario, probably the most recognised videogame character ever.
>>
AAA publishers don't want their game directors to become famous because they'll start to develop an ego. They're only used as tools to direct generic shit that will appeal to the most possible people.

The ones that do become well known generally get fired or leave and start their own companies to work on smaller projects where they actually have some control and creative freedom.
>>
>>333503251
>Are they not allowed to express themselves by their publishers?
yep, publisher OWN your work, thats what happen on capeshit comic
>>
>>333505351
>What fuck criteria is this?
>How come Japanese directors become famous and big
>You never hear about any big western directors leading new AAA projects anymore

That said, I'd say Kojima. He's more infamous than famous now, but I'd imagine plenty of people know his name.
>>
>>333505565
>Miyamoto isn't famous because Mario is popular
Why are you moving goalposts all of the sudden?
>>
>>333505565
And?
Does that mean the criteria somehow doesn't apply to him?
>>
>>333505614
>He's more infamous than famous now
What? Kojima did literally nothing wrong
>>
>>333505174
Japanese Phil Fish
>>
>>333503967
it's true. Look at David Cage
>>
>>333505701
No, not at all, I was just stating the reasons many people might know who he is or at least recognise his name.

God why is everybody so fucking tense and confrontational in this thread?
>>
Read through the interview Miyazaki did for Dark Souls after it's release a few years ago. Now think to yourself would western AAA let those sort of quirks make it to the final release? It would have been focus tested to death and much removed in favor of wider appeal. What director could hope to create something unmolested and undeniably their own in such an environment? What sort of mark could they leave to distinguish it their own?
>>
>>333505174
Hideo and Kojima-san.
>>
>>333503371

>dark souls
>weeb

kill yourself
>>
>>333505887
I just find the statement weird.
It's exactly because of that he's super famous, and there must be a reason why once highly-praised Western names like Will Wright suddenly fucks off to the end of the galaxy.
What makes them stop making video games while Miyamoto still pushes on (for better or worse)
>>
>>333505701
No, he still qualifies. Don't be like this idiot: >>333504978
>>
File: [Lies Internally].png (139 KB, 480x280) Image search: [Google]
[Lies Internally].png
139 KB, 480x280
>>333503251
A lot of the big name Japanese developers you are thinking of are huge divas.
>>
>>333503893
Itsuno, Yoko and Harada are a stretch.
>>
>>333503251
Cultural differences. Japan loves their mascots on everything and by extension in the Japanese game industry authoritarianism is more prevalent. It's more common for a Japanese game to have director like in the movie industry where everything good and bad about the game is attributed to a single person.

Wether you like them or not the west has had developers like these but they've mostly all fell from grace. Phil Fish, Tim Schafer, Warren Spector, Cliffy B, Sam Lake, American McGee, etc.

It's also more common for Japanese companies to hold onto their employees. This makes attributing a game's success to a single person make sense. It makes the company seem more human and if the director works on a different project that's not a sequel, it's again easier to generate hype with a name. Similar to people looking forward to a new Tarantino film despite the genre. It's also easier to get consumers to care about a single person than it is get them to care about a whole company.

In the west developers change seats a lot in the AAA scene. Here the company doesn't want to attribute a game's potential success to a single person since it's a probability they'll be let go. This can potentially make people lose interest in a sequel of that game if they know the person who made the last game work isn't involved anymore. (Remember how with Bayonetta 2 they kept mentioning that Kamiya is still supervising the project despite not returning to direct) The west doesn't even really have 'directors', the closest we have is project lead. It also shows how in the west video games are seen more as a career rooted in IT than as it's own branch of entertainment.

This is rambly as fuck but hopefully it'll make sense.
>implying you'll read this anyway
>>
>>333504856

Fucking furious doesn't even begin to describe it you knuckle dragging brain fart. If only someone would invent a form of converting stupidity into an energy source, then you would actually be useful. As it is, your pure denseness is starting to make scientists worried for the earths orbit.
>>
File: KojimaCollege--article_image.jpg (56 KB, 531x653) Image search: [Google]
KojimaCollege--article_image.jpg
56 KB, 531x653
>>333506018
This correlates well with >>333504845

Basically in Japan, the director is a respected position and he who ultimately bears the vision of the game. In the west, the process is more "democratic", meaning the game passes through many filters leaving a generic and bland experience that doesn't challenge or offend anyone. It's why western games have become so awful of late. They focus test fucking everything. Every line. Every enemy. Everything is controlled. Publishers like Ubishit do these focus tests and dictate their devs based on the results. It's not so much a director-workers relationship as it is publisher telling its devs what to do after analyzing their focus tests.
>>
File: 1458159248113.png (604 KB, 707x882) Image search: [Google]
1458159248113.png
604 KB, 707x882
>>
>>333503893
>Kamiya
Eh, I feel he's not actually that well known outside of /v/.

>Itsuno
Definitely not, not even most of the FGC know who he is.

>Nomura
Debatable. I don't know if he is still relevant.

>Harada
Literally who?

>Yoko
Definitely not.
>>
>>333506728
I hope you're not implying Japanese games are really any better off than Western games when they too are stagnating.
>>
>>333505128
>>333506678

Oh dear god your stupidity is starting to rub off on me now, i linked to the wrong god damn post.
>>
>>333506765
>talks for the FGC
>thinks Itsuno is most famous for fighting games and not making the best character action games ever made
>talks for the FGC
>Doesn't even know who Harada is

Stop talking idiot
>>
>>333506941
Nothing you said leads me to believe they are famous or well known.
>>
>>333507080
Dude, Harada makes Tekken
>>
File: kojima1.jpg (47 KB, 600x462) Image search: [Google]
kojima1.jpg
47 KB, 600x462
>CEO of Playstation himself appearing on a video bragging about Kojima making a new game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annuTcmB1rw

I wonder, what western dev would've made this video?
>>
>>333507080
Do you honestly believe that people in the FGC doesn't know who Harada is? You seemed very invested in how much the FGC knows so you not knowing who fucking Harada is ousts you as the typical shit spouting /v/irgin that is ruining this board.
>>
Because in the west we have amazing people like Phil Phish of whatever his name is.
>>
>>333503251
>How come Japanese directors become famous and big while western directors remain nameless and muted?
Because they make good/interesting/memorable games.

Western directors make things which barely qualify as games.
>>
>>333504337
whatever happened to Jade, she went pretty quiet after all the "jade's game" stuff
>>
>>333505174
shigeru miyamoto
>>
The 'auteur theory'

Kojima has complete control over every aspect (not necessarily a good thing)

Nobody knows who directed Assassin's Creed Syndicate
>>
>>333507630
She was at the VGAs last year and looked like she'd be smoking crack.
>>
>>333506826
Of course Japan pumps out tons of shit. But I think they have an advantage in that they haven't cannibalized all their mid-level studios. Developers like FROM can afford to take chances and put weird shit in their games because they aren't beholden to making back a 100million+ budget. The closest western equivalent would be EA's partner program which has them picking up smaller studios for one interesting game before buying them up and then dismantling 5-10 years down the line.
>>
>>333507810
Michael Hampden
>>
Why should developers become famous at all? The game is what matters, not who made it. You can even have a different developer make a different game in the same series and still end up with a good game.
>>
Probably because most of those JP devs were around making amazing shit back in the days when the west still gave a hoot about japanese games.
>>
>>333508156
>why should directors become famous at all? the film is what matters, not who made it
>why should writers become famous at all? The book is what matters, not who wrote it
>why should artists become famous at all? The painting is what matters, not who wrote it.
>>
>>333508156
It is in our interests that creative forces create games and not focus-tested cash grabs intended for ADD 14 year olds.
>>
>>333508026
Marc-Alexis Côté actually
>>
Just off the top of my head

Neil Drukman
Warren Spector
John Romero and John Carmack
Jeff Kaplan
Cliff Blezinki
Todd Howard
Notch
Ed Boon
Jason West and Vince Zampalla
Michael Ancel

You're dead wrong OP
>>
>>333508317
Yes. Putting game developers on a pedestal and treating them like they're special is the same kind of cancer as celebrity worship. A game developer is just some person that makes a video game, nothing more.

>>333508346
Not being famous doesn't prevent that.
>>
>>333508156
>The game is what matters, not who made it.

Because talented individuals who care about what they are doing is important?

See all of Capcom's shitty American-developed games.
>>
>>333508346
>and not focus-tested cash grabs intended for ADD 14 year olds.
Reminded how "Tales of" games will never be good again.
>>
>>333508156
I agree that their product is the number one aspect that we need to base our judgment with, but there's nothing wrong with the creator(s) becoming popular.
Especially if they end up making a good track record, it's easy to trust your money with their product the next time around
>>
>>333508458
I know of Ed Boon but none of the others. What games do they do?
>>
>>333503251
I hear about Bonnie Ross all the time and how she fucked a great game series.
>>
western directors only get famous when they become a meme
>>
>>333503251
The years of biffy, jaffe, cormac and remero are dead. The only western devs are indiefags who put themselves out all over the net to get attention.
>>
>>333507630
She has a new studio and is making a game with Amy Henig
>>
Name one well-known Japanese actor.
>>
>>333508895
Ken watanabe
Toshiro Mifune
Matsumoto OUT
>>
File: Ken_facebook_profile.jpg (42 KB, 180x270) Image search: [Google]
Ken_facebook_profile.jpg
42 KB, 180x270
>>333508830
interesting, any word on what type of game they're making?

>>333508895
ken watanabe
>>
>>333508642
From top to bottom

TLoU
Deus Ex
Doom
Overwatch
Gears of War and Unreal Tournament
Fallout and Elder Scrolls
Minecraft and shit else
Mortal Kombat
Modern Warfare and Titanfall
Rayman, Beyond Good and Evil, and WiLD
>>
>>333504184
Shit game are barely remembered while good game will be praised forever.
Sid Meier has a lot of shit game associated with his name but everyone will remember his good games. SMAC is my personnal favorite.
>>
>>333508895
Miyabi
>>
>>333503251
>Warren Spector
>Carmack
>Romero
>Will Wright
Are you underage OP?
>>
>>333509026
Some Star Wars garbage with Visceral
>>
>>333503251
coz the western directors are just cunts
>>
>>333508895
Ken Watanabe
Takeshi Kitano
Toshiro Mifune
Takashi Shimura
>>
>>333508895
Jackie Chan
>>
>>333503251
It's just Japanese culture, the same reason people care about who will voice characters or who is involved in projects.
>>
>>333509075
Ohhh... ok, that list explains why I'd not known of those guys before.
>>
>>333503893
shinji mikami is more well known than all of the ones you posted. And it's because his studio belong to bethesda.
>>
>>333503251
In large part, yes. Making the director a celebrity gives him more decision making leverage and gives him a greater public voice in the creative process. Soulless shitfactories like EA and Activision would have to compromise with the talent on things like rushed releases, and they couldn't fucking have that, could they
>>
>>333509370
>He thinks it's Bethesda that made Mikami famous
>>
>>333503251
because all you do is play weeaboo games you stupid fuck.

Carmack, peter molyneux are still well known names among gamers and they haven't done shit in a long time.

Kojima, miyamoto and miyazaki are the only names I can think of that are japanese. Miyazaki only because faggots won't stop talking about dark souls.

I can name many many more western developers than I can japanese.
>>
>>333509370
I only know him because of god hand.
>>
>>333509363
Do you not play video games?
>>
>>333509525
>he plays video games
>>
>>333507904
focus, paradox, devolver, ubishit... all pump out mid and small level games of various quality and production value. you are just clueless, know nothing outside ea and act.
>>
>>333503251

Western devs are sjw cucks that deserve no respect, the day you let other people decide what you can or can't create is the day you give up on respect.
>>
>>333509252
It's crazy to think that he's insanely rich because the Chinese government is paying him ass loads of money to make movies for the country.
>>
>>333509436
re make him famous in the coparative small gaming community of that time. Todd brought him into the mainstream.
>>
>>333509525
Yeah I play tons of vidya.
>>
>>333504845
This explains why US games are generic, formulaic, corporate AAA dog shit, and why Japanese games feel more like creative adventures/experiences.
>>
>>333503593
So I'm supposed to know the director of every game dev out there?
>>
File: pancakes.jpg (202 KB, 816x1356) Image search: [Google]
pancakes.jpg
202 KB, 816x1356
>>333509615
>>
>>333503975
They all had their 'Dark Souls' during their prime.

Guess who also won't be in his prime anymore? Can only do the same type of game so much.
>>
>>333509623
its not that surprising, he's always been very nationalistic
>>
>>333503251
Chinese have much better hairline than the Japanese.
>>
>>333509775
well I mean if you enjoy a game wouldn't you want to know who made it so you can play other games they made?
>>
>>333510057
they gonna die earlier anyway so no harm in being vain.
>>
>>333506765
>Harada
>Literally who?
Makes Tekken and Soul Calibur, is a big fan of DOA and Street Fighter and is the one behind SFxT.
Very talkative on twitter.
Also an infamous waifufag.
>>
>>333509075
>Jeff Kaplan
>Overwatch
He's better known for being a core designer of classic WoW. Blizzard just decided to use his face to market Overwatch as well.
>>
>>333508517
>A director is just some person that makes a film, nothing more.
>A writer is just some person that makes a book, nothing more.
>An artist is just some person that makes a painting, nothing more.
But for your defense, you could argue that vidya is not art.
>>
>>333510005

Dude was totally okay with his son getting life/execution for having drugs too. China's insane.
>>
>>333510780
ever been over there?

narcotics use is one thing they really do not fuck around about, kind of surprising how serious they are about it since chinese law enforcement is a joke when it comes to most other non-violent crimes

might stem from the fact that they feel their civilization was completely destroyed by opium
>>
>>333511336
It's the same in Singapore and it's surrounding.
Getting caught with drug=death penalty even, if you're a tourist.
>>
>>333511336
Opium really did fuck their shit up.
>>
Because japanese directors usually do more than just direct games. Most of them are writers and illustrators as well.
They also get more recognition because they're game changers and have been around for decades so more people know them more. They don't let the confines of a AAA publisher restrict or get to them, and thus they are able to make the game they want perfectly to a T.

Also the publishers advertise the shit out off them.

But to be fair, theres only a small handful of "popular" directors in both regions of the world and there are just as many small time and virtually unknown directos in Japan as much as there are in the west.
>>
>>333510780
Worse thing will happen if he is not ok with that
His son was released already. He probably had a cushy time in prison thanks to daddy's money and connection. Such is life. He would learn to bring the drugs to the son of a favored party leader for cheap instead of hoarding and selling it for himself.
>>
>>333511586
>Singaporean justice system
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/26/us/us-student-tells-of-pain-of-his-caning-in-singapore.html
>>
>>333510489
Yes, all of those statements are correct.

A game developer most often isn't the only person working on a game. Video game dev teams usually consist of dozens to hundreds of people, yet only one of those people becomes famous.

The product is what matters, not some person.
>>
File: 1440216977245.gif (2 MB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
1440216977245.gif
2 MB, 500x354
Just watch Jason Rubin's 2004 DICE speech before he left ND. All you need to know is in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhmYENdFZc8

Also despite his warning, virtually nothing has changed. Try finding the the names of any developer on a game box. Can't? Thats because its by design.

Brand matters more to publishers (and more often than not, consumers) then who actually makes it.
>>
>Ctrl+f
>Richard Garriot
>No result found

Basically, weaboos are underage retards. Also I bet every one of those jap devs can't into space.
>>
>>333503251
For the same reason you don't know who manages a Hamburger Helper factory.
>>
Western devs are nu male cucks

Japanese devs are geniuses
>>
>>333503251
Because noone gives a fuck about Western games. Some japanese directors innovate. Westerns directors always follow the "how to make AAA blue and orange 3rd person/fps/open world wrpg shit"
>>
File: Philly F and Cliffy B.jpg (53 KB, 698x563) Image search: [Google]
Philly F and Cliffy B.jpg
53 KB, 698x563
>>333503251
What?
>>
>>333513760
I wanna touch this butt
>>
>>333503251
Western devs empathize the "team effort" aspect of game development and downplay the director's role. There's a few that slip through the cracks (Ed Boon, Todd Howard), but for the most part Western Devs just never really publicize directors that much. In comparison, Japanese devs almost always make the director known to the public, they're the ones showing their game off at press conferences and the like. It also feels like Japanese devs give directors more control over projects compared to their Western counterparts. For example, whenever I'm playing a Kojima game, be it Snatcher or MGSV, I know it's a fucking Kojima game because of his style of game design. Same with other guys like Kamiya, Uchikoshi, Tomura, etc. You rarely get that same feeling with Western games because of how homogenized development is over here, and if you do it's often associated with the game negatively (i.e. Peter Molyneux games always being overhyped pieces of shit shit, Todd Howard games being casualized and buggy)
>>
>>333513502
>A game developer most often isn't the only person working on a game. Video game dev teams usually consist of dozens to hundreds of people, yet only one of those people becomes famous.
You can apply that exact same logic to movie directors, yet the movie industry doesn't have the "team effort" mentality at all. Movie directors are always given shittons of publicity and are the first ones to receive the praise/criticism if their movie is good/bad. Quentin Tarantino movies are advertised with his name being a large focus of the marketing, you flat out never see that with Western game developers.
>>
>>333515126
no they don't
>>
>>333515251
Who?
>>
>>333503251
Japan's game industry is more auteur driven from what I understand.
>>
Western developers aren't as good and subconsciously even everyone who wouldn't ever admit it, knows this.

/the end
>>
>>333513760
The ones that dared to protest were fired. Get in line and bow to your publishers and SJWs.
Thread replies: 167
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.