[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>NV is a 8/10 at best >The old Fallouts are irrelevent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 17
File: 1459950252936.jpg (1 MB, 1849x1950) Image search: [Google]
1459950252936.jpg
1 MB, 1849x1950
>NV is a 8/10 at best
>The old Fallouts are irrelevent no matter how good they were
>Everyone who played the original Fallouts laud it for the same reasons people laud the Bethesda Fallout: It was their first
>Fallout 3 is a essentially a reboot of the series and really only follows what Bethesda wants it to follow.
>The lore of BOS in Fallout 3 is explained in full and they aren't exactly generic white knights.
>Fallout 4 was a passable game with very simple and linear dialogue. Pretty much nullifying alot of the gameplay improvements that were made.
>Gameplay improvements were made
>Fallout doesn't need to be isometric to cover the same themes and rpg elements
>>
>>333448661
4 > NV > 3

the old games are irrelevant, thats true
>>
>>333448661
hey there handsome man
>>
>>333449437
NV>4>3
fixe´d for ya
>>
>>333449584
I can agree to a point that NV is better but is not much better than Fallout 3
>>
I can't understand why /v/ hates on 4 so much. There is literally an endless stream of shit to do, settlement building is fun as fuck and the weapon system is amazing and surprisingly deep. Currently on my fourth run. This time I'm playing a woman who was a lawyer but got cryogenically frozen and is now looking for her son. She also hates newspapers.
>>
>>333448661
Fallout 4 is not an RPG.
>>
File: 1454277677009.jpg (32 KB, 550x633) Image search: [Google]
1454277677009.jpg
32 KB, 550x633
>>333449861
>NV is better but is not much better than Fallout 3
i hate beeing a obsidrone, but this is ridiculous
>>
File: hate socks.jpg (57 KB, 529x501) Image search: [Google]
hate socks.jpg
57 KB, 529x501
>>333448661
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1GfHegql8Or
>>
Until FO4 gets sex mods it is worse than FO3
>>
>>333449584
NV>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4>3
>>
File: 1324245883234.jpg (264 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
1324245883234.jpg
264 KB, 600x399
>>333449861
this post gave me cancer
>>
File: I don't even know how to read.jpg (23 KB, 445x356) Image search: [Google]
I don't even know how to read.jpg
23 KB, 445x356
>>333448661

Todd if you keep making these threads I'm going to drive to Maryland and blow up Bethesda's headquarters.
>>
>>333449584
this
>>
Ever since FNV came out, I've occasionally felt the desire to go back and replay it. Like, experiment with different builds, try to take different paths, play as different kinds of people and see what the world unlocks. Never once felt that way about 4.

4 was the first Fallout game where I no longer stopped to think about whether my dialogue choices were in-character or not, because it didn't feel like it was up to me what kind of character I was playing. I think the voice acting was partly to blame for that because I used to headcanon the voices of my characters but now there are a grand total of two possible characters who just look like they're wearing different masks or something.

There are a few things I like about 4 though. There seems to be more diversity in the areas, like that one place where it was a bunch of docks on top of water, that was cool. And it's true that the gunplay was significantly enhanced.

I wish they hadn't gotten rid of skill points though. It seems ridiculous that someone with a Strength rating of 2 can knock a person's head off with a baseball bat.
>>
File: 1455653032276.jpg (266 KB, 876x1021) Image search: [Google]
1455653032276.jpg
266 KB, 876x1021
>>333450231
DO IT YOU FAG
btw: buy the season pass
>>
>>333450002
It's ridiculous that a game so close to the same gameplay and quest design is much different in quality. Writing alone doesn't justify calling one shit and other one of the best games of the last ten years. Just doesn't. Now is it better? Yes but it's suppose to be, it's a sequel. But is it leagues better? Nah senpai
>>
>>333449584
>>333450159
>>333450298
NV have shit graphics and mechanics compared to 4. I think the issue is how subjective the "rpg elements" are.
>>
File: 1441229234982.png (242 KB, 500x368) Image search: [Google]
1441229234982.png
242 KB, 500x368
>>333449938
To be fair, Fallout have never been a proper RPG franchise. More of a miniature wargame simulator, due to the forced back-stories onto you that hinders your ability to role-play.

In Fallout, your character is always a Vault Dweller from Vault 13. No matter what back-story you personally give him in your mind, he can never not be a Vault Dweller from Vault 13. Your story is about to a water chip. You get a game over if you fail to do so within the allotted time, meaning you're forced to do it or get a game over.

In Fallout 2, your character is always the Chosen One, grandchild of The Vault Dweller, born and raised in Arroyo, which you had never left until the start of the game.
No matter what, your character will always be from Arroyo, always the grandchild of the Vault Dweller from the first game, your life will always be isolated until the moment you leave on your journey because that is what the game demands. Just as Fallout 1, you get a game over it you take too long.

In Fallout 3, you will always be the son of James and Catherine. You will always grow up in Vault 101, never allowed to leave, you will always get a pip-boy at the age of 10, and the most you can decide about your characters back-story is whether or not you like intentionally picking fights with Butch. However it's an improvement since you can just say "fuck the dad" and for eternity play without being forced to do it. You can go and sip from dirty toilets for all eternity if you so wish.

> 1/2
>>
>>333449936
>There is literally an endless stream of shit to do
And it's all the same meaningless, copy-pasted garbage repeated over and over again.

>settlement building is fun as fuck
If you're autistic, maybe. There's absolutely no mechanical depth to the system, nor any personality to it beyond the handful of vaguely unique residents you can recruit. Fallout Shelter was more complex, rewarding, and challenging than the in-game settlement system.

>the weapon system is amazing and surprisingly deep
The weapon variety is trash, explosive, melee and unarmed weapons are pitifully neglected as far as mods are concerned, and at least half the ranged weapon mods fall into obsolescence halfway through the game. New Vegas' ammo and weapon mod system offered more depth on top of having a much greater variety of weapons, along with special moves for melee/unarmed attacks, strength and skill requirements for effective weapon usage across skills, etc.
>>
>>333450890
>>
>>333449936
hey! MY WORK IS TALK GOOD ABOUT MY SHIT GAME, NOT YOURS
>>
File: 1435365792306.jpg (78 KB, 832x584) Image search: [Google]
1435365792306.jpg
78 KB, 832x584
>>333450701
Better graphics don't make a better game
>>
>>333450597
This picture unnerves me
>>
File: 1444406012546.jpg (73 KB, 370x278) Image search: [Google]
1444406012546.jpg
73 KB, 370x278
>>333450890
>>333449938

> In New Vegas, no matter what you want your character to be, they'll always be a courier, who somehow know Chineese, under the employee of the Mojave Express who got a bad deal and who used to work for the NCR before he nuked the Divide.

In Fallout 4 you're military veteran or lawyer being being frozen for 200 years. You have to find your missing son. Nothing happens if you ignore the main quest. Here it actually affected the game-play what faction you joined (no teleporters if you don't join the institute, no vertibirds if you don't join BoS, changes that's pretty huge when playing on Survival difficulty due to lack of fast-travel).

My point is that in the Fallout games the back-stories are more vague than others, but your character ALWAYS has some kind of back-story, unlike say the Elder Scrolls series (a proper RPG game with a chance to actually role-play properly) where all we know about our character is that they were arrested for "Something" (Which can be anything from false imprisonment to genocide to cannibalism) and our lives before that are the players to fill out how they like in their head.

> 2/2
>>
>>333450926
You're just being a dismissive fag. If the gameplay wasn't fun to you fine. It honestly couldn't hold me over for as long as I wanted to ignore the main quest but it had depth. There is much more customization than in any other previous Fallout.
>>
Fallout 4: wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle.

also, good luck shooting that raider who has his arm peaking around a corner, your bullet will just hit an invisible rim around the object.
oh, remember when Deathclaws had nests? yeah they don't anymore, now they're nomadic.
remember when Fallout games had tons of guns in them? yeah, this one has less than Fallout 3.
remember when Int and Cha and Black Widow actually meant something, remember when they actually changed your dialogue choices?

pfffft.
>>
>>333450674
>so close to the same gameplay and quest design
You're kidding, right? New Vegas quest design is miles ahead of 3's, and the addition of shit like iron sights, melee moves, way better balanced weapon tiers/more weapons make New Vegas gunplay a lot more satisfying.
>>
>>333449936
>This time I'm playing a woman who was a lawyer but got cryogenically frozen and is now looking for her son. She also hates newspapers.

kek
>>
>>333450701
Everything in 4 still looked retarded because the people still all had a single body type, the women were all manfaced, everyone had the same robotic posture and awkward facial expressions. High resolution textures doesn't equate to good visual style.

Also what the fuck was up with having so many customization options for giving yourself zits and scars and disfigurements? What the fuck was the point of that? Why not just spend those resources giving us more than five hairstyles?
>>
>>333451189
wow a bunch of unnamed NPCs move into your settlement, thrilling
>>
>>333451035
>>
>>333450890
>Planescape: Torment is no longer an RPG
>Baldur's Gate is no longer an RPG
>>
>>333448661
Fallout 4 is shit
>>
>>333451119
well, if you like to move around on that orange background that was NV..

that's one of the things that made me not like NV so much. That, and the main plot.

anyway, it's not only the graphics. Fallout 4 entire map is just more interesting. It all follows the same rules; the same logic. it's not just cities in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>333449584
NV>3>4

Fallout 4 quests are garbage.
>>
Are enemies leveled correctly in FO4?

I haven't even beaten the game, but I'm in my level 20's and just got to Diamond City, and I'm seeing fucking synths left and fucking right. I was seeing them left and fucking right even BEFORE I got to diamond city.
They're fucking everywhere.

I mean, what the fuck?
Why do I keep running into them? Shouldn't they be rare or something?
>>
>>333451237
>Miles better
There goes that hyperbole again
Iron sights, melee moves, improved weapon customization, all improvemnts and all go to show that NV is better than F3, but think how much that actually changes the overall gameplay. Very little. Adds a couple facets, not a whole dimension. As >>333451198
said but about F4, alot more stuff but very little detail and doesn't justify the suggestion that it is a very different sort of game.
>>
>>333451425
Wow more dismissiveness and lack of argument.You're sure showed me.
>>
>>333451626
Synths are very common for some reason but the enemies do scale in terms of loot.
>>
>>333451189
That customization doesn't mean jack shit when there isn't anything going on under the hood to make it meaningful. You can rechamber your hunting rifle to fire .50 cal and get a sniper rifle stock and all that shit but the difference between it and the standard hunting rifle isn't nearly as significant as the difference between an AM rifle and a hunting/sniper rifle in New Vegas. Same goes for all the laser weapon modifications, or the shitty pipe weapons. Everything in Fo4 feels like homogenized mush. Moving up the revolver tree in NV is a big fucking deal. Not so in Fo4, as there are only two goddamn revolvers.

Power Armor was one of the only things they got right in the entire goddamn game, and even that's hindered by the durability and FC system.
>>
>>333451346
>the women were all manfaced
only if you don't know how to use the character creation, and if you don't pay attention to them in-game.

>everyone had the same robotic posture and awkward facial expressions
that's just like the 3 and NV. Except with better graphics.

>was up with having so many customization options for giving yourself zits and scars and disfigurements
some people like more options. Also, there was as much hairstyles as 3 and NV.
>>
>>333451626
...No.

two things: you level up too fast, and you don't stop getting HP. Each level you get 10.

get mods and take that shit off as soon as you can. That way Endurance is much more useful since you will only get life from it, and the game gets slightly harder. I have two mods, one to take off the 10HP per level, and another to increase damage taken in 30% (which is a LOT in the beginning of the game, so you might have a hard time, actually use your bombs/mines/chems, etc).

I also use a mod to get only 50% xp from quests. Also, don't get idiot Savant. It's just cheating.
>>
>>333451986
>big fucking deal
Did we play the same game? I swear New Vegas, while being more difficult than F3, still had that point in the game where everything was pretty much a death wand in the right hands. And in F4, there is a clear difference between pipe weapons and the pre-war or plasma weapons. Unless you just chose to not take the good perks for the weapons to use which then might be a different problem. What is wrong with the fusion cores in F4 besides that the fact that power armor needs it all?
>>
>>333451626
>>333452337
just notice that's not exactly what you asked, but i think my answer will help you nonetheless.
>>
>>333452337
>>333451626
You really don't need mods to have the game difficult. The way the difficulty in F4 turns everything to damage sponges pretty much makes all that stuff unnecessary unless you wanted to change how the enemies are which is then a different issue.
>>
>>333451742
It really was. Fallout 3's quests were almost entirely self-contained affairs that ended in binary choices for one alignment or another. Hardly any of them are dialogue of build-driven. There's nothing in 3 that can compare to the unmarked interrogation quest, Beyond the Beef, Ring-a-Ding, G.I. Blues, Come Fly With Me, dealing with the Khans, or even the Boomers. That's not even getting into Companion quests and all the ways they can end.
>>
Are there any mods that make this game a proper rpg? I.E. removing radiant quests, making a better levelling system, adding some questlines with decent dialog, stuff like that?
>>
>>333452568
>The way the difficulty in F4 turns everything to damage sponges pretty much makes all that stuff unnecessary
i was literally one-shotting enemies in the hardest setting. The player character is the sponge, not to mention power armor.
>>
>>333451143
This. Terrifying.
>>
>>333451439
see for yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uuDKrY7eW0
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault_13:_A_GURPS_Post-Nuclear_Adventure
http://archive.is/SOOvN
http://archive.is/IiTZz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cp44Pr5b30
http://archive.is/BdaLs
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/larping-and-crpg-mechanics-discuss.78412/#post-2389938
http://archive.is/g1PIu
http://archive.is/cDK0E
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=VPFTAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA61
>>
>>333452569
Quests being self contained isn't an issue for F3 because that point of those quests was different than NV. NV had the intention of everyone tying into each other in the final clash at the end and to all have a passing relation to the factions you encounter. F3 quests generally involved people just living in the wastes and you being a wanderer happening upon them rather than having similar goals or connection with the same people. The only main factions were BOS and Enclave and they were all homogeneous bodies that didn't interact with anyone that wasn't important int he grand scheme of the game.

Alot of the quests you said were binary in the sense that you dealt with them in the favor of one faction or the other.Now what you ultimately did doesn't matter because the aftermath of your actions are all after the end. Quests in NV were more build driven... for charisma builds. Speech became much less of dump stat and that was a viable end a game skill. Everything else was just as important in terms of gameplay as F3. You could handle any quest any way you wanted to in both games but their ultimate end had differing effects, F3 effecting one small group and NV affecting a large layered faction.
>>
>>333452358
We must not have. Going from .357 to .44 to Hunting Revolver to the Sequoia all felt like clear, meaningful jumps in power - distinct progression. Fully upgrading your dinky pipe revolver then switching over and upgrading a .44 doesn't achieve nearly the same effect. The jump from laser to plasma isn't as big a deal either, and I say this as someone who spent 26 hours on a energy-only character. I think the big issue is that, for all the stuff you can do to your guns, there's not a lot you can do to your character to make the different weapon types feel distinct. There's no "And Stay Back" or "Meltdown" equivalent in Fo4.

>What is wrong with the fusion cores in F4 besides that the fact that power armor needs it all?
It's a combination of that and the fact that they're rendered completely redundant by just how many of them there are. The system is nothing more than an inconvenience and doesn't add anything to the strategy of using PA outside the first hour or so.
>>
File: autismo.jpg (73 KB, 620x360) Image search: [Google]
autismo.jpg
73 KB, 620x360
>>333453329
Holy fuck
>>
>>333452752
At what level and with what mods accompanying it if any? The game seemed stupid over the top at max difficulty where simple raiders wouldn't go down after ten shotgun round to the face.
>>
>>333452845
Write something yourself, don't copy and paste bullshit.
>>
>>333453449
I feel like alot of that has to do with level scaling and how difficulty plays into the game. There is a different system of damage rating in both games i believe, with NV having thresholds for damage and F3 and 4 not having that.
>>
File: 1459670049435.jpg (103 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459670049435.jpg
103 KB, 1280x720
>>333453519
Thanks for the rebuttal
>>
>>333453869
Yeah, it's a real shame Fo4 went back to a DR-only system. DT makes a lot more sense and adds more situational utility to various weapon and ammo types. Including that and a few more guns, and you'd have some really solid gameplay. Better than NV's even without the better build variety, I'd wager.
>>
>>333453520
i put mods Exacty so i won't one-shot stuff like i was before. I had to make the game harder, and had to take a lot of HP from me.

now it's very balanced. Some high level enemies will appear to fuck shit up, and even then they go down with some headshots. With mods, normal enemies are killed with 2-5 shots, really depends on the weapon. Much less if stealth.
>>
>>333454181
What was your build?
>>
>>333454337
playing with two characters. One is melee/heavy guns and explosives

other is rifles/pistols, going full stealth bonus. Hitting someone with almost a x10 is just like cheating.
>>
>>333453329
Quests that have no impact on the wider world and often have no impact at all aren't as good quests then, are they?

What you did in NV mattered a hell of a lot more than what you did in Fo3, considering that several of the minor factions would appear during the Second Battle for Hoover Dam and just about ever town in the game got its own ending slide with several possible outcomes - that's considerably more consequence than any quest in Fo3. Compare Goodsprings Gunfight to The Power of Atom. In the former, there are a variety of skill checks you can perform for either side to influence the fight. In the latter, you either defuse the bomb or kill Burch. There's nothing else to it. That holds true for the majority of quests in both games. New Vegas allows for considerably more roleplaying, which is the most important part of quest design in RPGs.
>>
Look, the writing and ability to immerse yourself into the world of New Vegas is just superior. Fallout 4 has vastly improved gunplay and some cool mechanics, but those mechanics are barebones and the player ability to roleplay is very limited due to the fact that finding your son drives every faction quest and there is a lack of sidequests/non-main quest motivated factions.

Can we stop talking about this now?
>>
>>333453629
why don't you learn how to read? educate yourself.
>>
File: 1455193529522.jpg (64 KB, 450x577) Image search: [Google]
1455193529522.jpg
64 KB, 450x577
>>
>>333455638
no lol
>>
>>333453869
F3 not having DT is why Beth had to make all the inbred rednecks in Point Lookout have magical shotguns that pierce power armor like paper.
>>
>>333456673

His smile looks like a glitch you'd see in a Bethesda game.
>>
http://strawpoll.me/7301785
>>
>>333458080
DA2 was fucking abominable. Everyone already knew Fo4 was going to be mediocre based on its predecessors.
>>
>>333458267
this to be honest family
>>
>>333449584
you all act like NV had a different engine than F3.
>>
File: 1451944372592.gif (3 MB, 280x358) Image search: [Google]
1451944372592.gif
3 MB, 280x358
>>333456030
Reading any of that is a waste of time because all it does is let you run from your others opinions. If you want to argue, actually say something instead of parroting other people's thoughts and pasting other people's threads.
>>
if anyone says 4 is better than any other numeric fallout game or NV their opinion is null and void.

NV>>>3>4

however, itll be NV > 3=4 when geck comes out
>>
>>333458732
reading your post was a waste of time but i still did it. all it did was reaffirm my opinions just like with all those other sources.
>>
>>333455267
That's a matter of opinion. Whether a quest is apart of an over arching storyline or is an episode in a series of exploits doesn't make a quest necessarily good or bad. There were alot of mediocre quests in NV that may have served a purpose but wasn't particularly fun to play or was somehow more memorable because it led to other quests. Not saying F3 didn't have fetch quests or quests that couldn't have been better but NV had that too. Not saying NV had a bunch of quests that were basically loops that happened nearly the same way every time but it did have alot of quests that were copy and paste. Skill checks are abundant in NV but F3 had them too. How you roleplay depends on the player. F3 didn't stop someone from doing what they wanted nor did NV,

And you don't have to kill Burke*. In fact, you don't even have to talk him.
>>
File: No_Hope.gif (4 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
No_Hope.gif
4 MB, 200x200
>>333458884
So you never intended to actually hear me out or post your own thoughts? Good to know.
>>
>>333458732
>Reading any of that is a waste of time
Go to bed, Pete Hines.
>>
Old games are the only good ones
>>
>>333461840
agreed. NV is just okay in my opinion.
>>
>>333462196
1, 2 and NV are good. Tactics, 3 and 4 are okay. You guys haven't played a bad game in your life if you really think those last three are legitimately bad.
>>
>>333462582
if you saw all the bullshit Obsidian had to pull out of their asses just to make the game work, you would feel the same way as me.

the engine is so fucking bad. the animations are fucking bad. the mechanics are fucking bad. everything is fucking bad.

imagine how great the game would be if they had all the assets to make their own game from that year instead.
>>
>>333452738
You'd need the GECK to make stuff like that, and it's not out yet. Even then, it'll take a while for good mods to come out. I wouldn't count on anything big being released for at least a few months after the GECK comes out.
>>
>>333462979
>bullshit Obsidian had to pull

Enlighten me. How bad's the engine?
>>
>>333465323
The engine itself isn't all that bad, but Bethesda aren't great programmers, so their version of the engine has problems.
>>
>>333451540
>what is mod
can you even mod fallout 4 already? I dropped it after finishing the storyline because of how boring it was.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.