[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /v/ think of trophies/achievements?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: download (3).jpg (9 KB, 321x157) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
9 KB, 321x157
What does /v/ think of trophies/achievements?
>>
They were pretty fun to farm in xbox 360 with friends, especially the hard ones that required hours of trying.
>>
I used to love them when I got my first PS3, but after I realized how much time I spent getting certain Platinums I stopped caring.
>>
>in theory
A neat way to help you explore the game in novel, unique, or challenging ways and get a completionist satisfaction out of it.
>in practice
Unimaginative grindfests that don't add anything to the game.
>>
File: image.gif (4 MB, 409x295) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
4 MB, 409x295
I like them, they give me a sense of accomplishment I'll never get elsewhere
>>
I like them, gives you fun little extras to go for and play the game in a way that you might not have done otherwise
>>
They're nice little incentives to keep playing a game you wouldn't otherwise touch after a certain point (IE; main story completion)

I rarely ever go for platinums.
>>
>>333407976
I don't really care much for them, but I'm amazed how people can have so much hate for a completely optional option that you can disable
>>
>>333408249
pretty much nails it. an example of it well done is the recent Resident Evil 1 Remake release were they added achievements for knife only runs.
>>
>>333407976
I have the notification off desu
>>
>>333408249
casual detected. Stop playing JRPGs if you don't want shitty grindfests.
>>
They're fun to collect but I won't go out of my way to get bullshit or otherwise not fun ones
>>
They're good if they encourage someone to play the game in a way they might not have done originally, seek out stuff they may not be inclined to find, or challenge themselves in the game. They're bad when they are just used to pad the overall gameplay by asking the player to find a stupid amount of useless collectibles, kill a random amount of enemies, or exist to tell the player what they've done (finishing levels, watching the credits, starting the fucking game).

I really enjoy them when they're done well. Trophies can sometimes make me want to play a game again or in a different way which increases the amount of enjoyment I get out of it as well as helps me experience all of the content. Something like Dark Souls' trophy for finding all of the special weapons asks the player to beat the game on NG+, which I may not have challenged myself to do otherwise. I just hate when trophies are used to "reward" a player for completing a boring task, like gathering collectibles. Instead of a trophy there should be an actual, in-game reward. But often times that's not the case, developers think the trophy is enough. Trophies can be good, but often times they're just pointless.
>>
>>333407976
They're nice little motivators to do things in a game that you might not otherwise try. Most of the time.

However, you do get the ones that reward you for BS, like playing for an hour in First Person (GTAV). That just screams "LOOK AT OUR FEATURE! LOOK AT IT AND LOVE IT!" And their are teh ridiculous ones that are there to force you to play hours of the game, like Get 999,999 Credits. You never need that much, the only reason to grind to fill your bank is so the game gets lots of "played hours", meaning people will think it must be really fun.

Give me "Discover the secret ending", or "Kill the mega-boss in the volcano that you can only beat by obtaining all of the secret gear, each piece hidden in a different boss dungeon"
>>
>>333408249
>A neat way to help you explore the game in novel, unique, or challenging ways and get a completionist satisfaction out of it
This is what I don't get. Are people so unimaginative nowadays that they need a trophy to get the idea of doing a low-level run/ insert x gimmick run?
>>
File: trophies.png (404 KB, 786x1123) Image search: [Google]
trophies.png
404 KB, 786x1123
I like the challenge and if I don't hate a game or if the requirements aren't complete bullshit, I'll go for them
>>
Best part of the 360 isn't beating the games. It's showing the internet that I did.
>>
>>333409271

Yes they are. They wouldn't try a level 1 rusty sword run in their games if there wasn't a silver cup for trying to play a level 1 rusty sword run.
Generally because level 1 rusty sword run isn't fun for most people.
>>
>>333409668
Or maybe there are people who do like collecting worthless digital trinkets, who didn't think they would enjoy a gimped run, but go do it for a trophy and end up really enjoying it.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.