[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Rimworld worth the $30?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: rimworld_4.jpg (129 KB, 700x438) Image search: [Google]
rimworld_4.jpg
129 KB, 700x438
Is Rimworld worth the $30?
>>
>>333377637
it's fun
>>
15-20 until they add more to the vanilla game. Needs 25+ mods to keep it interesting after you play it for a couple of hours.
>>
>>333377637
It's bretty gud. Not sure why nigger dev won't put it on steam.
>>
>>333377953
What mods are considered "must have"?
>>
What game would you compare it most to? Obviously from the look it looks like Prison Architect, and i really didn't like that because it was just dudes milling about in a prison, how in depth is the raiding / trading / non building aspects.

Is there like, tech tiers where after a few hours / raids you can build bigger and better buildings / facilities? Or is it pretty much you build solar panels, farms and beds then arm yourself and fight progressively more dudes?

Is it Early Access still?
>>
>>333378109
You have to research some things in order to unlock them

You have to mine rarer materials to build better versions of most things

Incoming raids are based on the total value of your colony give or take a bit

It's in alpha, the next build is coming soon and is adding a bunch of features like relationships between colonists so if you get a pretty intense rivalry between two of them and one guy is already on the edge it could easily make him snap and start beating the other fucker to death

It's not on steam at this point, it's in alpha so I guess it counts as 'early access'
>>
>>333378109
>What game would you compare it most to?

Like all the others, it's 'inspired' by Dwarf Fortress, a game which is more detailed and free.
>>
>>333378282
and shit
>>
>>333378109
it's just a no-feature dwarf fortress with prettier graphics and an easier interface (like every other dwarf fortress clone)
>>
>>333378321
You shut your faggot mouth and don't ever post again.
>>
>>333378282
They're entirely different settings though, then again Dwarf Fortress CAN be modded to be similar to Rimworld but it's really not that open ended, you can't for example make custom buildings that emit forcefields or whatever. Sure you can mod Dwarf Fortress so you get randomly generated animals, plants, trees etc to get entirely alien-like worlds, then mod all the workshops into more modern/futuristic alternatives.

Something like the First Landing mod basically.

Dwarf Fortress is great for that pre-industrial feel.
>>
>>333378425
>They're entirely different settings though

I bet you think Spacebase DF-9 wasn't 'inspired' by DF either.
>>
File: 54656754345345.png (51 KB, 524x675) Image search: [Google]
54656754345345.png
51 KB, 524x675
>>333378074
Might be missing a few but last time i played i used:
>>
>>333377637
i've played it for hundreds of hours before touching mods, so yeah
>>
>>333378561
Feels more inspired by games like Space Colony and Startopia mate.
>>
>>333378659
You sure it's not inspired more by Asteroids?

That game takes place in space too!
>>
>>333378817
Now you're just being childish. Have you even played either of the two titles I mentioned? If you have, then you would have agreed with me that those games are indeed more similar to Spacebase DF-9 than Dwarf Fortress is.

If you were to blend Space Colony and Startopia together, the result would pretty much be Spacebase DF-9.

But go ahead and prove me right that you can only post low tier bait because you have no argument whatsoever.
>>
>>333378952
I've played both those games, they're pretty good.

Are you honestly trying to persuade us straight-faced that a game called Spacebase DF-9, that has DF right there in the title, isn't inspired by Dwarf Fortress?
>>
It's like a Dwarf Fortress Lite, not as in depth but more accessible and playable. Both great games in their own right.

Another interesting game in the same genre is Stonehearth but it's in early access (surprise surprise), still worth a pirate to try out.
>>
File: 6545.jpg (75 KB, 350x260) Image search: [Google]
6545.jpg
75 KB, 350x260
fuck, I misread "Rimmerworld"
>>
>>333379073
>It has DF in the title, which could mean anything or nothing at all because they usually give space station names like that, see Space Station 13 and how it randomly generates names, but to me it absolutely must be Dwarf Fortress
>>
>>333377637
that's prison architect...
>>
>>333379123
Smeghead

Fuck I should rewatch Red Dwarf, great show.
>>
>>333379185
Yeah that's where they got most of the style from.
>>
>>333379137
I'm having a look for interviews about Spacebase Totally-not-Dwarf-Fortress-9 now, none of them mention Startopia or Space Colony, every single one mentions Dwarf Fortress though.

Either you're thick as shit, or you think you're trolling, because you're thick as shit.
>>
>>333379318
The most hilarious thing is you're focusing so much on trying to prove me wrong when you never understood the point to begin with.

Your first reply was
>>333378561
right?

You know what a fucking setting is right? Good. Dwarf Fortress is for people who want to play in-depth Tolkien simulator and Spacebase DF-9 is for people who prefer sci-fi settings.

That was my single argument, and you just went off the rails for some reason. So in conclusion, joke's on you.
>>
>>333379484
You're stupid enough to think that having a different setting means Rimworld took no inspiration from DF, how am I supposed to have any kind of debate with that scale of willful idiocy?
>>
>>333378565
thanks anon
>>
>>333378321
>being this bad at games
>>
I have found more fun playing DF than even playing DF.

I myself come everytime again to gnomoria and enjoy it more than DF.

am I a pleb?
>>
>>333380041
Maybe, who cares?

DF isn't for everyone, and that's a good thing about it.
>>
>>333380089
I think it needs a better interface.

maybe some tech tree like AoEII.
>>
>>333380164
Think what you like, the game isn't designed for you.
>>
>>333377953

This.

Once its released it's problably worth 30, but at the moment it's nowhere close to that pricetag.
>>
>>333380230

Needs a better UI though.
>>
>>333377637
yes, ive putted in over 50 hours in that game. Totally worth.
>>
File: 1408404246158.jpg (221 KB, 500x1200) Image search: [Google]
1408404246158.jpg
221 KB, 500x1200
>>333380164
I think it's fine the way it is. the thing I hate about the DF community is that it's full of people who really should just be playing some DF clone instead of DF. they complain about bloat, complain about the UI and basically everything that will never get fixed and possibly just get worse. as well as download mods that literally strip away features.
luckilly Toady is completely confident in where he's taking the game and will never listen to those people
>>
>>333380573
it's fine the way it is
>>
>>333380679
UI is fine
Want a better UI? Make your own, the game's UI can be completely externalized so you can even make custom interfaces for iOS devices or Android devices, whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>333380573
True, it'll get one eventually, but given that the game is only 42% complete at the moment, it'd be a waste of time to overhaul it now and then have to redo it again, possibly several times to keep it functioning as the mechanics develop.
>>
>>333380738
DF's UI is merely sufficient, it's got a lot of flaws and you'd be stupid to try and deny that.
>>
>>333379238
go for it you smegpot
>>
>>333380756
Toady is not going out of his way to make the UI "better" because modders have already made it possible for the UI to be externalized and reconfigured.

You just have to make it yourself. No spoonfeeding.
>>
>>333380679
>Towns
I played it while it was in development and it wasn't half bad, it's a shame the dev ran with the money.
>>
>>333380909
>No spoonfeeding.

Do you even know where we are?

I've been playing DF for a decade, I don't need to crawl around on 4chan begging for your help because I can't read a list of hotkeys.
>>
>>333381072
I have a sub 120 IQ and even I can play this game just fine. It's not hard to remember b d k u etc.
>>
>>333381142
That doesn't mean the UI is good though, Toady himself has said that there's a lot of flaws in some of the menus, like the items being listen in random orders and having different keys to scroll than other similar menus.

Like I said, the UI is merely sufficient.
>>
>>333380679

>bloat
>UI

But these are legitimate complaints. DF is suffering super heavily from perfomance issues lategame, just look at how much smoother Masterwork runs. And the UI being completely keyboard controlled makes even the slightest of work a hassle.

I have several hundreds of hours into DF, been playing since launch, and even I think DF has issues. Sure, Toady is not going to change these things because it's his vision, but they are still flaws and issues, and fans have every right to voice their opinions.
>>
>>333381325
>Items listed in random orders
What do you mean exactly
Just go into advanced view.

You ARE using DFHack etc right?
>>
>>333381392
I'd rather have hotkeys than have to pore over a series of context menus like Gnomoria, that's a fucking tedious UI to use.

>>333381475
Furniture for example, there's no rhyme or reason behind the ordering of the items.

I'm not using DFHack because it's not updated, seems likely to me the next update will be out before it is at this rate.
>>
>>333381392
They are legitimate complaints but you missed the point of the pic. If those things bother you, maybe you shouldn't play DF because those things will literally never be fixed.
>>
>>333381605
To be honest I barely ever check stocks because I use Workflow a lot. I know I have enough of something because if not, I would've seen the production get started.
>>
>>333381818
Workflow is a godsend in so many ways, I'm really looking forward to the removal of the 30 item limit for workorders too though.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (853 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
853 KB, 2560x1440
How's Factorio in comparison?
>>
>>333382727
Less managing minions more making incredibly autistic automated factories

So basically Dwarf Fortress Masterworks mod Gnomes, the game.
>>
>>333382727
Factorio is great but it's an entirely different sort of game, since you're alone and building manufacturing facilities, rather than keeping a group of survivors alive and sane.

It's autism incarnate, but in a very good way if you like that sort of thing, there's endless tweaking and optimization of your factory to be done.
>>
>>333382727
it's good.

Has little to do with DF.
>>
>>333377637
>$30
but df is free
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.