[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you play with mods? I can't seem to have an enjoyable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: download (1).jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
8 KB, 259x194
How do you play with mods? I can't seem to have an enjoyable time playing with anything.

Its almost like im a painter and my painting is never finished. I just keep adding more and more paint. Just layers after layer of paint the thing starting to get pretty thick and heavy but I'm still not satisfied
>>
You're not creating anything when you add mods. The game doesn't get better or worse, just different. All that matters is if you are having fun doing it.
>>
File: 1373387320546.jpg (66 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1373387320546.jpg
66 KB, 500x375
>>333373232
You keep adding more and more mods until the game CTD every time you open it up.

Then give up, having spent several hours modding a game until its unplayable and you've barely played it.
>>
File: 1510521.webm (263 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1510521.webm
263 KB, 1280x720
>>333373232
>Its almost like im a painter and my painting is never finished. I just keep adding more and more paint. Just layers after layer of paint the thing starting to get pretty thick and heavy but I'm still not satisfied
That is the same reason why I spend five hours messing with the game's config files, because IT IS FUCKING FUN.
>>
>>333373232
You have just defined the essence of modding. Enjoy your madness.
>>
I don't mod much, but when I do, it's not to try and change the feel of the game so much as augment/fix/tailor what's already there.

I've got 300 mods in Fallout 4 to fix basic issues that I feel should've been addressed in development. What does it equate to? A decent selection of weapons that will spawn on normal enemies, tweaks to perks, tweaks to power armor, tweaks to settlement building, ect. In total, you could play my game and probably not notice too much out of the ordinary. Hell, I don't even remember what mods I have installed most of the time. That said, I went from several hours of headache to a smooth and customized experience that essentially triples the amount of time I'd be willing to spend playing the game.

Fallout 4 is a bad example though. It's just one of the better supported games I've played recently.
>>
>>333374398
300? Goddamn. I'm waiting on the GECK to get the more complex mods because I don't trust these basically hacked plugins right now. Although they have better tools, I remember the nightmare of using them in Skyrim.
>>
>>333374460
It's super simple if you're going through nexus and using NMM. Just read comments first.
You can literally install mods for Fallout 4 in less than 5 seconds.
>>
>>333374593
I'm using the Mod Organizer 2 Alpha 4, some wonkiness with Bodyslide and a few things but overall it works pretty well.
>>
File: 3424535.png (122 KB, 321x283) Image search: [Google]
3424535.png
122 KB, 321x283
>>333374398
>>333374593
>>333374636
>mfw I have autism and for some reason I don't like using mod manager on Bethesda's games
>mfw I fuck up anything and have to manually delete a shit ton of files to find out is wrong
>>
>>333374693
Why do this to yourself, Anon? It's better here.
>>
I spent far more hours modding Bethesda games than actually playing them.
>>
>>333374741
Like I said, something in my retarded brain keeps telling that NMM is not 100% accurate and might mess with the mod files even more, so I am better off checking everything manually. i.e autism.
>>
File: 1459490149981.jpg (22 KB, 400x261) Image search: [Google]
1459490149981.jpg
22 KB, 400x261
>Install and update many mods
>Play game for several hours across a few nights
>Don't touch it again
>Repeat several months later

Every time.

>>333374693
NMM is shit, so you dodged a bullet there at least.

Just use Mod Organizer instead which doesn't even touch your game files, as it uses virtual directories
>>
>>333374975
You should learn Mod Organizer. It uses a fake file structure that loads into your game when you start, it never touches your default installation so you can set install order and plugin load order just by moving files around.

With the Mod Install Order you drag and drop mods to clear up conflicts and set overwrite orders as if you were managing your real data folder. It's fantastic and if you fuck it up all you have to do is uncheck a mod or drag it somewhere else to fix problems.
>>
>>333375101
>>333375165
>Mod Organizer
Never heard of it, I gonna check it out once I finish my first Fallout 4 playthrough
>>
>>333375214
Reading about it, it looks way more complicated than it really is. Once you get the hang of it, it's the finest manager of mods I've ever used.
>>
>>333373232
Some games are so inherently flawed that no amount of modding can fix them. Notable examples: Skyrim, Fallout 4.
>>
>>333375214
One heads up is that if you intend on using it for several Bethesda games, you'll need to install one copy of MO for each game since an install can only manage one game for you. Though it's not as bad as you'd think it would be, it's probably the best way of doing things by keeping it all separate.
>>
I just keep adding mods until either I get tired of my character or the game breaks, then I make a new character and remove all the mods I didn't like.
>>
>>333375687
That's the best way to do it. Every character made is practically a test run in a sense.
>>
I personally spent more time modding than playing Skyrim.
I change a bunch of features to my liking, improve graphics, sound, add mechanics, items, etc. and then i finally get to play the game, i don't feel the urge to keep playing.
It's suffering.
>>
>>333373232
So much that the game is barely recognizable. You won't be able to touch vanilla ever again.
>>
File: FalloutNV 2016-04-06 02-28-48.jpg (635 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
FalloutNV 2016-04-06 02-28-48.jpg
635 KB, 1920x1080
>>333373232
Well, if you don't enjoy playing the base game to at least some extent, then mods aren't likely to change that. Modding a game you already enjoy makes it more enjoyable and can extend its replayability by literally years.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.